PDA

View Full Version : What needs to be fixed???

Political Hack
10-28-2013, 10:03 AM
We're pretty good at moving the ball and on defense overall, but we've got some glaring weaknesses... most of which can be fixed with personnel issues.

1) we are the worst FG kicking team in the country (according to engie. given his stats ingenuity I trust him). We can fix that with personnel. We're top 40 in total offense and 62nd in scoring offense. Something doesn't add up and in my opinion it's the missed FGs and being scared to kick them. Add just 3 points per game and we're top 40 in scoring offense too.

2) we are the worst team in the nation returning punts. We're getting NOTHING from the punt return game. And when I say nothing, I mean we have exactly 1 punt return yard this season. Add to that Tubby has had some fumble issues back there and I think it's time to let him focus on offense and kick returns only.

3) we are 119th in red zone defense. I think it's a substitution issue. We've chosen to sub out on a per series routine, which makes sense given we had to play OSU, Auburn, OM, Troy, etc... who run hurry ups. Generally a smart move by the DC, but we've got to get fresh bodies on the field after they've been out there for a whole drive. Also, play Quay.

4) We're converting less than 40% of our 3rd downs. We need a power run game we can trust and some more creative high percentage pass plays that Dak can convert. JRob plus yanking the RS off Clayborn could help a lot here. Also, getting some other slot WRs involved who can catch and run wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. If we can't complete an 8 yard pass, try to complete a short one and let them run. It's not working the other way.

5) Swenedburg should never come out of the game again.

We do those five things, we can beat everyone left on the schedule except Bama.

QuadrupleOption
10-28-2013, 10:05 AM
We're pretty good at moving the ball and on defense overall, but we've got some glaring weaknesses... most of which can be fixed with personnel issues.

1) we are the worst FG kicking team in the country (according to engie. given his stats ingenuity I trust him). We can fix that with personnel. We're top 40 in total offense and 62nd in scoring offense. Something doesn't add up and in my opinion it's the missed FGs and being scared to kick them. Add just 3 points per game and we're top 40 in scoring offense too.

2) we are the worst team in the nation returning punts. We're getting NOTHING from the punt return game. And when I say nothing, I mean we have exactly 1 punt return yard this season. Add to that Tubby has had some fumble issues back there and I think it's time to let him focus on offense and kick returns only.

3) we are 119th in red zone defense. I think it's a substitution issue. We've chosen to sub out on a per series routine, which makes sense given we had to play OSU, Auburn, OM, Troy, etc... who run hurry ups. Generally a smart move by the DC, but we've got to get fresh bodies on the field after they've been out there for a whole drive. Also, play Quay.

4) We're converting less than 40% of our 3rd downs. We need a power run game we can trust and some more creative high percentage pass plays that Dak can convert. JRob plus yanking the RS off Clayborn could help a lot here. Also, getting some other slot WRs involved who can catch and run wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. If we can't complete an 8 yard pass, try to complete a short one and let them run. It's not working the other way.

6) Clean up penalties on the offensive side of the ball. We get too many holds / false starts that hurt our drives.

Political Hack
10-28-2013, 10:09 AM
6) Clean up penalties on the offensive side of the ball. We get too many holds / false starts that hurt our drives.

strangely enough we're not terrible with penalties, but they always seem to come on important drives in the 2 be half and completely kill us. To me, it's more of a timing issue than an overall issue. We need some guys with some urgency in their bones.

mic
10-28-2013, 10:11 AM
3rd downs on both sides of the ball is a huge issue...

MrKotter
10-28-2013, 10:16 AM

*cough*We are a zero threat in the second half. Our real play caller on offense either doesn't give a shit anymore or is just lazy. Fix him you fix a lot of probs

Edit, what's with the ***cough text being added

Goat Holder
10-28-2013, 10:26 AM
Besides field goal kicking obviously, I think our problems are on offense. Keep the offense on the field, the other offense is neutralized. See the Oklahoma State game's first half.

We need a tailback to effectively run this offense. So many people think a running QB like Prescott was the answer, I don't think so. We need a Dixon or a Ballard. Perkins is a secondary option tailback, always has been. Not built for the grind, as you can see now with him being injured. Shumpert, Robinson or Griffin needs to step up and be that hole-hitting badass.

I think we need the home run threat WR too, but I'm not sure Prescott can even throw the deep ball successfully. He seems to only throw line drives. That's the difference in guys like him and Cam Newton. Newton could make all the throws. Come to think about it, I don't know that I've ever seen Russell connect on many deep balls, if any. Seems like our long passes are always across the middle on post routes.

And it goes without saying, we have to get rid of idiotic shit, like the crap Whitley does. That garbage has cost us for years. I remember when Wade Bonner made a tackle on 3rd down vs. LSU in 2011, had the drive stopped with us getting the ball to possibly take the lead. Well, instead, he got up and monkey danced over the receiver. 15 yard penalty later, LSU scores on the next play of the extended drive. That crap is on Mullen. Bonner should have sat the rest of the year, as Whitley should now.

BulldogBear
10-28-2013, 10:33 AM
All good notions, including 6, but on 2 we see an awful lot of fair catches or no catches. That may be more good punting on our opponents' part than something we are doing wrong.

CJDAWG85
Stop running the Stansbury Stall in the 2H. Keep the playbook open and score... Stop worrying about the clock

hacker
For posterity, currently, Devon Bell is the 6th worst kicker in the NCAA with a 45.5% (5/11) average.

Eric Nies Grind Time
10-28-2013, 10:34 AM

So...are you saying fire the special teams coach?

CJDAWG85
10-28-2013, 10:35 AM
If we average 14 pts in the 2H, we would be averaging about 37 ppg... That's pretty good

BulldogBear
10-28-2013, 10:38 AM

Hah! I see what you did there...

MrKotter
10-28-2013, 10:41 AM
Thought the same thing but couldn't remember if Mullen is still the ST coach. If so, everything he has his hands on sucks.

MarketingBully01
10-28-2013, 10:58 AM
I'll add stop letting teams use their final drive of the first half to score. Those are big momentum changers. Also as I said in a previous thread. Stick to what works. If they can't stop the read option in the first half, keep doing it until they do. I have noticed except against Auburn where we ran Dak and scored on our first possession, we have a tendency to call Tyler plays for Dak and use him as a drop back passer. That part of his game has plenty of time to develop. If you do pass with Dak, why not roll him out where he has a threat to run or pass. That way the secondary has to commit one way or the other. Either A) he runs and get yards or B) the secondary commits to him and he passes to wide open receivers. I never understood why they don't utilize him more to his strengths. At this point in his development, he is not a pocket passer. He will be. Why not let him grow to use those plays?

Bo Darville
10-28-2013, 10:59 AM
I think the biggest thing is we often beat ourselves. Our stats such as turnover, offensive yardage, etc. look fine. But we always do something at a critical time to stop ourselves.

Examples:

1) Whitley giving Kentucky 30 yards on the drive before halftime which gave them points. Bonehead. You can't give a team points so easily. We gave them points.

2) Kentucky was totally unable to stop our offense at the beginning of the game. However, we stopped ourselves by inserting Tyler Russell and running him on a sweep on 3rd and short. You can't give away a drive. You only have so many in a game. We gave that drive away.

3) Giving Kentucky 2 points by dropping a punt.

The game is about more than talent or statistics. You can't give away drives, points, plays. You can't just give it away.

CadaverDawg
10-28-2013, 10:59 AM
We have got to quit abandoning the run game. I don't give a shit if that means lining up in I formation with a FB. We cannot expect Dak Precott and a tiny WR to be our leading rushers this year and next year.

I'm not sure why Dan thinks this, but he seems to think that he is fooling the opposition by using guys in the opposite way they need to be used. For instance, airing it out with Dak while running Tyler....Running Perkins inside and Griffin outside.

We have got to start keeping defenses honest by throwing a deep ball every now and then. The reason Jackie Sherrill's old ground and pound often worked was A. Because we recruited nasty trench guys on both sides, and B. Because you couldn't consistently stack the box on us. Every 2 or 3 series Jackie would have Madkin, or whoever was QB, throw one deep on a fly pattern. Usually it was overthrown and never caught, but it forced teams to keep that safety back just in case. We HAVE GOT to start doing this. I bet we didn't throw one single pass beyond 15-20 yards against UK. That is insane and shows horrible leadership at OC and HC.

As for the Special Teams, we are getting no blocking on punt returns, so we have to fair catch everything. That is on the ST coach. As is the FG situation.

Unfortunately MrKotter just said it perfectly. Right now, everything Mullen has his hands on, sucks. But since we're keeping him for the next 5-10 years, we can just get used to it, because we've learned that he isn't changing.

And on defense, we have got to get some speed at safety. I like market back there, but we need Cox at the other safety spot if we are going to start Redmond and Love. These guys like Coman, Arrington, etc, are just not good in coverage due to a lack of speed IMO ...and since our DLine and LB's are playing fairly well this year, we are needing much more help from our safeties in coverage than we are on run stopping right now. We need Cox or Jiles, or Calhoun, or somebody with some speed back there in centerfield in my opinion.

CadaverDawg
10-28-2013, 11:02 AM
I think the biggest thing is we often beat ourselves. Our stats such as turnover, offensive yardage, etc. look fine. But we always do something at a critical time to stop ourselves.

Examples:

1) Whitley giving Kentucky 30 yards on the drive before halftime which gave them points. Bonehead. You can't give a team points so easily. We gave them points.

2) Kentucky was totally unable to stop our offense at the beginning of the game. However, we stopped ourselves by inserting Tyler Russell and running him on a sweep on 3rd and short. You can't give away a drive. You only have so many in a game. We gave that drive away.

3) Giving Kentucky 2 points by dropping a punt.

The game is about more than talent or statistics. You can't give away drives, points, plays. You can't just give it away.

Fundamentals...I agree.

If we just do the little things right and not make unforced errors, we beat UK by 14-20 points. And you're right, the coaches have to quit getting cute, and play your best players and run your best plays. You may not fake out the opponent by running a lot of running plays with Dak....but that is what you will be successful at, so don't go throwing it 3 times with Dak. It's not as hard as we seem to make it on ourselves.

MarketingBully01
10-28-2013, 11:06 AM
Great points! I think the big thing is this. Dak should never be sacked based on his escapability and size alone. When defenses bring the house and it should be obvious when this happens, we should have check downs to a screen or draw play or just have Dak call his own number and take off. Just like in the LSU game where they blitzed him a lot but he just took off. They stopped blitzing him. By calling those Tyler plays, we are completely misusing Dak. Teams should never want to blitz him just like they never wanted to blitz Cam or Manziel otherwise what is the point of a running QB?

Barking 13
10-28-2013, 11:08 AM
I just looks like to me, we can't defend the roll-out pass.... no QB pressure at all...

tcdog70
10-28-2013, 11:15 AM
We have a 6'6" wr. throw Him the Ball more than once. A sideline fade. He is being covered by 5'10" corners.

HancockCountyDog
10-28-2013, 11:29 AM
You forgot to add:

Stop running QB counters with a slow footed strong armed QB on 3rd and 2. Might want to use your running QB if you are going to run the QB.

EngineerDawg
10-28-2013, 11:30 AM

I just want to see effort. I mean is it too much to ask to be competitive for 4 quarters!? A win is a win and a loss is a loss, but boy it sure looks better when you look dedicated and all in.

Bo Darville
10-28-2013, 11:35 AM
Fundamentals...I agree.
And you're right, the coaches have to quit getting cute, and play your best players and run your best plays. It's not as hard as we seem to make it on ourselves.

That's what I'm looking for. It's not as hard as we seem to make it on ourselves. Bama keeps it simple. Freeze keeps it simple. Get the ball to your playmakers. Tyler Russell might be a playmaker throwing the ball on 3rd and 12, but he isn't a playmaker running the ball on 3rd and 2. Give it to Robinson or Dak and the drive would still be alive.

Goat Holder
10-28-2013, 11:45 AM
Yeah because nobody sees that coming at all.

Goat Holder
10-28-2013, 11:46 AM
The team is giving great effort. That is the most ridiculous notion I've seen yet, not sure where it began.

hacker
10-28-2013, 01:22 PM
The team is giving great effort. That is the most ridiculous notion I've seen yet, not sure where it began.

It trickles down because Mullen doesn't act like a prehistoric brute on the sideline. **

Goat Holder
10-28-2013, 01:23 PM
Maybe we should hire Orgeron then?

Eric Nies Grind Time
10-28-2013, 01:54 PM
It would be nice if we actually spent some coin on some assistants. Shouldn't we be making more money than ever before with football? Yet we won't pay for shit.

FlabLoser
10-28-2013, 02:06 PM

I think the 3rd down stat is due to the 2nd half offensive slumps. I think its not a schematic or strictly a personnel thing. Although I like the personnel moves you suggest.

Jack Lambert
10-28-2013, 02:08 PM
I think Mullen should do more of the off the cuff things he used to do in his first two seasons. Like on side kick. When is the last time he lined up to block a punt? When was the last time MSU blocked a punt? He needs to do something to shake things up comming out in the second half. I persoanlly liked the idea of comming out spreading the offense and passing the first two series against KY. It did not work. I think they had that scripted for TR but he was hurt but on the third series KY could not stop the Dak attack. I think it was set up good for him.

engie
10-28-2013, 02:08 PM
That's what I'm looking for. It's not as hard as we seem to make it on ourselves. Bama keeps it simple. Freeze keeps it simple. Get the ball to your playmakers. Tyler Russell might be a playmaker throwing the ball on 3rd and 12, but he isn't a playmaker running the ball on 3rd and 2. Give it to Robinson or Dak and the drive would still be alive.

We heard all summer how we were working more under center, forming the offense to Russell, etc...

Is that not the perfect frigging time to line up in the I with Griffin at FB and give it to Robinson? You are playing one of the worst rush defenses in all of football.

We saw him a few times at FB against Bowling Green, which I thought was a damn good idea, and naturally we are going away from it...

Statecoachingblows**
10-28-2013, 02:14 PM
Misuse of personnel has been killer as many of you said. The 2 qb system can work to a certain extent BUT not swapping them in the middle of a drive or because its 3rd and 11! Not only is it obvious what's about to happen it has to get in their head a little bit getting pulled for a play. Don't know exactly how many times they have done this but I've seen zero times that it's worked. Dak out for an entire drive get 3rd and long here comes TR...Followed by a punt!!

bulldawg28
10-28-2013, 03:00 PM
We should not rotate the secondary . Leave Love, Redmond, and possibly Jiles on the field to get into the groove and make plays for us.