PDA

View Full Version : Who could be our Ed Orgeron

MetEdDawg
11-09-2019, 09:21 PM
Who in the coaching ranks could be for us what Ed Orgeron is for LSU?

Someone from the state, passionate and relentless, can connect with the kids, recruit, and understands MSU.

Is there anyone that is working their way up that might could be that for us? I really think that's what it will take to get us to where we want to be. Someone that thinks MSU is the greatest job in the world and the only place they want to be.

Is there anyone we could be watching or paying attention to that might down the road be that for us?

StarkVegasSteve
Mark Hudspeth

Political Hack
Hud

ShotgunDawg
11-09-2019, 09:24 PM
Everyone says Hud, but since he's the obvious answer, let's put on our thinking caps & find another guy

dawgday166
11-09-2019, 09:26 PM
Actually ... I've always dismissed this idea but I'm warming up to it some now. I don't think he can do any worse than what has happened the last 2 years and probably would do better.

StarkVegasSteve
11-09-2019, 09:27 PM
Everyone says Hud, but since he's the obvious answer, let's put on our thinking caps & find another guy

I think he is the obvious answer because he is the only answer

Cooterpoot
11-09-2019, 09:28 PM
Y’all need to get off this Hud deal. He’s not what we need. Plus, we need someone to embezzle money to funnel to recruits, right after we fire Bracky.

somebodyshotmypaw

Someone from the state, passionate and relentless, can connect with the kids, recruit, and understands MSU.

Is there anyone that is working their way up that might could be that for us? I really think that's what it will take to get us to where we want to be. Someone that thinks MSU is the greatest job in the world and the only place they want to be.

Is there anyone we could be watching or paying attention to that might down the road be that for us?

Coach34 fits the bill.

MetEdDawg

This was what I was hoping for. Obviously Hud is the one people will say. I would hate that hire. Do we really not have anyone else that might in the next 5-10 years have the chops to handle a job like ours that would fit that description?

Cooterpoot
11-09-2019, 09:36 PM
AR, Vandy, & SC (possibly OM), are going to be coach shopping. We going to wait out this year and make the big splash next year.

HoopsDawg
11-09-2019, 09:39 PM
AR, Vandy, & SC (possibly OM), are going to be coach shopping. We going to wait out this year and make the big splash next year.

none of those schools except for OM should impact us at all. And I don't think OM will be shopping this year. I think they will be next year.

DownwardDawg
11-09-2019, 09:45 PM
Actually ... I've always dismissed this idea but I'm warming up to it some now. I don't think he can do any worse than what has happened the last 2 years and probably would do better.

I fell off the Hud bandwagon but there is no doubt in my mind he would have done better last year and this season than Moorehead has done. Hud would have smoked the fighting ******* last year. He would be running the offense that we should be running. It would be the perfect fit if it ever works out. And by working out, I mean Hud has to continue to grow as a coach also.

Coursesuper
11-09-2019, 09:45 PM
Y’all need to get off this Hud deal. He’s not what we need. Plus, we need someone to embezzle money to funnel to recruits, right after we fire Bracky.

Yep, embezzlement and funneling cash is the key to making any coach look good. We have yet to master this art and making the bastards play hard for that cash.

IMissJack
11-09-2019, 09:48 PM
We caught lightning in a bottle with Mullen. He was an up and coming OC with a gold resume from the SEC. However, we are not going to find an Ed O., unless we open the pocketbook and hire better assistants. Heck, Ed O. is what he is because of the coordinators, and he is the recruiter.

Todd4State
11-09-2019, 10:00 PM

No we don't need to get off of Hud. Just like Coach O was a major question mark for LSU a couple of years ago. And I bet if you asked LSU fans at that time if they would replace Les Miles with Coach O they would say hell no.

The reality is MSU has been missing the mark at head coach by trying to find a genius play caller when what we really need is a CEO coach that is not married to a system and allows coordinators to do their jobs. Just like Jackie.

Todd4State
11-09-2019, 10:08 PM
My three:

1. Joe Judge. Has coached under both Saban and Bellicheck. Has coached all three phases of the game. MSU is possibly his dream job. He's still pretty young though- which could mean he is the guy after the next guy for us.

2. Shane Beamer. Assistant HC at Oklahoma. Has also coached in all three phases of the game. Wife is from the Starkville area or at the very least Mississippi. Is considered a good recruiter. Has been under his Dad, Kirby Smart at Georgia, Spurrier, and Fulmer as well as Lincoln Riley. He has probably made a lot of connections in the industry with every coach in America going to Oklahoma for offensive ideas. Has coached at MSU.

3. Hud. Would recruit well in Mississippi. Would probably run Dan's offense or something similar. Has won everywhere he has been except for when ULL was on probation because of David Saunders as collateral damage in the Ole Miss investigation. Would likely be able to bring in Will Hall to run the offense.

Todd4State
11-09-2019, 10:10 PM
We caught lightning in a bottle with Mullen. He was an up and coming OC with a gold resume from the SEC. However, we are not going to find an Ed O., unless we open the pocketbook and hire better assistants. Heck, Ed O. is what he is because of the coordinators, and he is the recruiter.

You're exactly right. Which is why we actually would end up likely saving money because none of the MSU versions of Coach O are going to be on the high end of any coaching searches outside of MSU. I think that would be pretty appealing to Cohen if he's going cheap.

Todd4State
11-09-2019, 10:12 PM
Yep, embezzlement and funneling cash is the key to making any coach look good. We have yet to master this art and making the bastards play hard for that cash.

Going to be a lot easier to do that with the new NCAA rules regarding players receiving cash for their likeness being used.

Sorry Brackey.**

I just hope that MSU has some people like Mossy Oak, Bryan, and multiple furniture companies lined up already. And I'm not 99% sure we don't.

Cooterpoot
11-09-2019, 10:23 PM
No we don't need to get off of Hud. Just like Coach O was a major question mark for LSU a couple of years ago. And I bet if you asked LSU fans at that time if they would replace Les Miles with Coach O they would say hell no.

The reality is MSU has been missing the mark at head coach by trying to find a genius play caller when what we really need is a CEO coach that is not married to a system and allows coordinators to do their jobs. Just like Jackie.

This fascination with Hud is beyond stupid. Guy is a bat shit crazy ass hat. Some of the crazy bullshit he did at ULL was borderline insanity and quite frankly, it was creepy as hell.

BeardoMSU
11-09-2019, 10:50 PM
This fascination with Hud is beyond stupid. Guy is a bat shit crazy ass hat. Some of the crazy bullshit he did at ULL was borderline insanity and quite frankly, it was creepy as hell.

Lol, very true. People forget those antics, I guess.

DownwardDawg
11-09-2019, 10:50 PM

There is no fascination with Hud that I see. I doubt he’s anyone’s first choice. But you’re too blinded by your dislike of him to see that he’s exactly what this thread is about. Hell, he’s probably a much better coach than Ogre. He’s certainly won more than Ogre did early in his career. I hope we hire someone better for sure, but Hud fits what this particular thread is about.

Liverpooldawg
11-09-2019, 11:02 PM
Mark Hudspeth

So, we hire him. Where will the NCAA rent office space in Starkville? I want to know so I can buy it first to rent to them. He will never be the head coach at MSU.

parabrave
11-09-2019, 11:05 PM
Greg Knox.

Todd4State
11-09-2019, 11:06 PM

Same could be said about Ed Orgeron and his time at Ole Miss if we're being honest here. And Tennessee for that matter.

Todd4State
11-09-2019, 11:06 PM
So, we hire him. Where will the NCAA rent office space in Starkville? I want to know so I can buy it first to rent to them. He will never be the head coach at MSU.

The NCAA office in Starkville has Bracky Brett on the door. He'll gladly tell them all.

TheLostDawg
11-09-2019, 11:08 PM

No idea what you are talking about. I didn't like the HUD idea of HC but if we're looking to go the route of LSU, he's it. I like him as a person and recruiter. We would just have to have stellar coordinators if we did get him and explain to him what we're expecting out of him. He's also one that might take off if a blue blood offered down the line. I think that we're going to have to hire an older coach that's good and pay the guy good money if we want someone long term due to the money coaches are getting paid now and the fact we can only sign someone to four years at a time. Not someone past their prime but someone that's ready to make one last stop. That's why I think it's risky to hire a young up and coming. We haven't yet shown that we're winning to pay to keep a good HC along with a formidable staff much less keep them all year to year. We'll just be doing this same dance year after year until those things change

Todd4State
11-10-2019, 12:19 AM
No idea what you are talking about. I didn't like the HUD idea of HC but if we're looking to go the route of LSU, he's it. I like him as a person and recruiter. We would just have to have stellar coordinators if we did get him and explain to him what we're expecting out of him. He's also one that might take off if a blue blood offered down the line. I think that we're going to have to hire an older coach that's good and pay the guy good money if we want someone long term due to the money coaches are getting paid now and the fact we can only sign someone to four years at a time. Not someone past their prime but someone that's ready to make one last stop. That's why I think it's risky to hire a young up and coming. We haven't yet shown that we're winning to pay to keep a good HC along with a formidable staff much less keep them all year to year. We'll just be doing this same dance year after year until those things change

I think hiring Hud wouldn't move the needle with the media. But I think it would be a good move for MSU more than likely because I think he would have success at MSU whether people like him or not- and let's be honest Dan and Jackie both had people at MSU that didn't particularly care for them too so we're not going to please everyone here.

My guess is he would probably bring in Will Hall and Ron Roberts as coordinators unless he can get Shoop to stay. One good thing about Hud is he is familiar with both of our previous two staffs so he probably has a good idea if he wants to keep someone like Marcus Johnson or not. He would also probably keep Hughes, bring in Bumphis to coach WR's, keep T-Buck, among other things.

deadheaddawg
11-10-2019, 02:37 AM
Who will be Moorhead's LSU?

Indndawg
11-10-2019, 07:04 AM

and all night

Sienfield
11-10-2019, 07:26 AM

I see what you did there.

ShotgunDawg
11-10-2019, 07:44 AM
Lol, very true. People forget those antics, I guess.

I could see Pitt

msstate7
11-10-2019, 07:51 AM

More like muschamp's South Carolina

AROB44
11-10-2019, 08:51 AM
I may be alone in the wilderness, but hiring HUD because he can recruit Mississippi doesn't seem like a very good reason because I don't think we can win with mostly Mississippi talent. Mississippi high schools are poorly coached and recruits are not as ready for college football as say Ala or La high school players. I'm just not sold on Hud...

R2Dawg
11-10-2019, 08:56 AM
My three:

1. Joe Judge. Has coached under both Saban and Bellicheck. Has coached all three phases of the game. MSU is possibly his dream job. He's still pretty young though- which could mean he is the guy after the next guy for us.

2. Shane Beamer. Assistant HC at Oklahoma. Has also coached in all three phases of the game. Wife is from the Starkville area or at the very least Mississippi. Is considered a good recruiter. Has been under his Dad, Kirby Smart at Georgia, Spurrier, and Fulmer as well as Lincoln Riley. He has probably made a lot of connections in the industry with every coach in America going to Oklahoma for offensive ideas. Has coached at MSU.

3. Hud. Would recruit well in Mississippi. Would probably run Dan's offense or something similar. Has won everywhere he has been except for when ULL was on probation because of David Saunders as collateral damage in the Ole Miss investigation. Would likely be able to bring in Will Hall to run the offense.

That is a pretty good list.

In about 20 years, bringing the Dak back.

gravedigger
11-10-2019, 09:18 AM

Couple of years ago, we ran him off the field and everyone was wonder when he would be fired. Are you insinuating that we should do like them and find a coach Orgeron, or do like them and give our guy time like Orgeron was given?

TheLostDawg
11-10-2019, 09:45 AM
Couple of years ago, we ran him off the field and everyone was wonder when he would be fired. Are you insinuating that we should do like them and find a coach Orgeron, or do like them and give our guy time like Orgeron was given?

I believe that he's trying to say is we need a CEO coach with good coordinators. The thing with that is we don't pay our coaches enough to keep top assistants

gravedigger
11-10-2019, 10:27 AM
I believe that he's trying to say is we need a CEO coach with good coordinators. The thing with that is we don't pay our coaches enough to keep top assistants

I dont doubt that is a problem. I think he is pointing out that unless you are advocating Hudspeth, there isnt an Orgeron out there without considering that they had to endure some frustration before this season WITH Orgeron. Something our message board fans have already stopped considering.

ETA: anyone who has any understanding of President Keenum understand Hudspeth will not be our headcoach.

Jarius
11-10-2019, 12:20 PM
The only real options are HUD and Hopson and I don’t want either of them.

dawgday166
11-10-2019, 12:22 PM
If you add in that LSU is Ogre's dream job and is where he wants to be ... that narrows an already very narrow field down considerably.

Might could find a CEO type coach but one that isn't using MSU as a stepping stone ... not likely.

basedog
11-10-2019, 12:34 PM
Name me one Coach like Coach O that we could get to boil crawfish like that Cajun talking what he say Coach***

O is the perfect fit for Lsu and we ain't nowhere near what they are in football.

Jarius
11-10-2019, 01:16 PM

We have not lost a single coach in any sport due to money since the SEC money explosion. We lose coaches because they would rather go to a blue blood to advance their careers. We have a small assistant coaching salary pool because the ones we have don’t deserve to be paid more than they are currently being paid. When our coaches win big we pay them. Dan Mullen didn’t leave for money. Neither did Huff. Neither did David Turner. Neither did Baker. They may be making more than they were here but it is not because we did not offer them a similar salary to stay.

TALL DAWG
11-10-2019, 08:18 PM

Please send out some crazy stuff Hud did as I never heard of it.

BrunswickDawg
11-11-2019, 09:17 AM
We have not lost a single coach in any sport due to money since the SEC money explosion. We lose coaches because they would rather go to a blue blood to advance their careers. We have a small assistant coaching salary pool because the ones we have don’t deserve to be paid more than they are currently being paid. When our coaches win big we pay them. Dan Mullen didn’t leave for money. Neither did Huff. Neither did David Turner. Neither did Baker. They may be making more than they were here but it is not because we did not offer them a similar salary to stay.

And we sure seemed to be able to pay Grantham a competitive salary to get him to come here - and that was when we were already paying Dan a much higher salary then what Moorhead gets.

Coursesuper
11-11-2019, 09:52 AM

This is a fairly uninformed post. Do you know much about David Sanders? I know the guy he's likable but he's nuclear.

TrapGame
11-11-2019, 09:54 AM
I'm not a huge Hud guy but if it is true about him and Johnson coming up with the Auburn game plan in '18 some of y'all may be off on your criticism. That right there showed me he knows more than Moorhead about being a head coach.

tcdog70
11-11-2019, 04:59 PM
let's see what most are looking for
1. a Coach who runs a run first spread offense
2. a Coach who has been a HC and won at a School where losing was common
3. a Coach who is a proven recruiter.
4. a Coach that understands SEC Culture and the South (maybe with a MSU connection)
5. A coach that wants to Coach at MSU.

Am I missing anything?

Hud checks all the boxes--just saying.

Coursesuper
11-12-2019, 09:36 AM
Austin Peay Governors are 7-3 and in first place in the OVC right now with games left against Murray St. and Eastern Ill. Could very well finish in first place in the OVC and make the playoffs in year 1 with a new staff.

Tbonewannabe
11-12-2019, 09:54 AM
Austin Peay Governors are 7-3 and in first place in the OVC right now with games left against Murray St. and Eastern Ill. Could very well finish in first place in the OVC and make the playoffs in year 1 with a new staff.

If nothing else, Hud is a damn good fall back plan if we did make a move and didn't get any interest. He is a lot better than settling for Luke like UM did. I am not sure if I would take him over Napier but I think at worst that Hud would get us to bowl games. I am not sure if he could compete with the big boys but at least keep us middle of the pack where we are right now.

BrunswickDawg
11-12-2019, 10:14 AM

If nothing else, Hud is a damn good fall back plan if we did make a move and didn't get any interest. He is a lot better than settling for Luke like UM did. I am not sure if I would take him over Napier but I think at worst that Hud would get us to bowl games. I am not sure if he could compete with the big boys but at least keep us middle of the pack where we are right now.

Interesting note looking at the Austin Peay staff - lots of people with MSU ties (and a number he pulled straight from the staff last year). Bumphis played here; Lovings (DL/AHC) was QC/GA at MSU from 07-10; Zetts (WR) was OQC in '18; Powell (DC) was a GA in '18; Morrissey (OL) was OLQC in '18; Frazier (Dir. of Football Ops) is a '14 grad; Cole (on-campus recruiting coordinator) was a GA and is a '19 grad; Bland (Dir of Player Personnel) is a grad.

lastmajordog
11-12-2019, 06:26 PM
Time to put Brad Peterson as qb coach or play calling. What he did offensively.... IMMEDIATELY .....at several losing schools early in his early HS career is nothing short of remarkable. Players like and respond to him.....just don’t understand why he isn’t on the field or in press box.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
11-12-2019, 07:17 PM
Not from the State but Les Miles. His people has reached out to us. He wants back in SEC.

Jarius
11-12-2019, 07:31 PM
Not from the State but Les Miles. His people has reached out to us. He wants back in SEC.

There is no doubt that a guy who could not field a competent offense at a school that shits out 5 star players and is currently 3-6 at his current school is reaching out to everyone for a better coaching job. If we hire him our entire athletic department should be fired.

TrapGame
11-12-2019, 07:31 PM

When?

I'm still thinking there is a quiet head coaching transition going on behind the scenes. I think there's a good chance Joe is moving on at the end of the season. We are just trying to be discreet and professional about it.

HailStateSZN19
11-12-2019, 07:37 PM
When?

I'm still thinking there is a quiet head coaching transition going on behind the scenes. I think there's a good chance Joe is moving on at the end of the season. We are just trying to be discreet and professional about it.

I’m not trying to strike up an argument, I’m legitimately just asking because I’m curious, what makes you think that? I just don’t see it and nothing really points to it, just my opinion. Just curious what you’re seeing, hearing, or whatever that makes you think something is going on behind the scenes? I just think barring an absolute massacre on EB night, which ain’t gonna happen, that he’s 100% back next year. But he’d better win 8 games next year. Can’t underachieve 3 years in a row.

TrapGame
11-12-2019, 08:01 PM
I’m not trying to strike up an argument, I’m legitimately just asking because I’m curious, what makes you think that? I just don’t see it and nothing really points to it, just my opinion. Just curious what you’re seeing, hearing, or whatever that makes you think something is going on behind the scenes? I just think barring an absolute massacre on EB night, which ain’t gonna happen, that he’s 100% back next year. But he’d better win 8 games next year. Can’t underachieve 3 years in a row.

Just some things that have been said over the last month. I just get the feeling Joe wasn't expecting the SEC to be this tough. He admitted over the summer that he underestimated SEC defenses' speed and athleticism. He said it was a real eye opener. to And there are not only the Rutgers rumor - which is strangely still open - but he has been mentioned for possible openings at UMass, Boston College and Illinois. Probably just a wishful thinking sort of gut feeling. Odds are he's still here next year.

Todd4State
11-12-2019, 08:12 PM
Just some things that have been said over the last month. I just get the feeling Joe wasn't expecting the SEC to be this tough. He admitted over the summer that he underestimated SEC defenses' speed and athleticism. He said it was a real eye opener. to And there are not only the Rutgers rumor - which is strangely still open - but he has been mentioned for possible openings at UMass, Boston College and Illinois. Probably just a wishful thinking sort of gut feeling. Odds are he's still here next year.

I think you are right FWIW.

Todd4State
11-12-2019, 08:13 PM

Well it is interesting that there have been rumors about Joe leaving for somewhere else- primarily Rutgers.

And it’s also interesting that coaches have been rumored to be reaching out to our people even though we don’t have an opening. That’s pretty unusual.

HailStateSZN19
11-12-2019, 08:14 PM
I think you are right FWIW.

You also think something is going on behind the scenes? Same reasons at Trap said or something else making you think that? Just curious.

TrapGame
11-13-2019, 09:43 AM
Well it is interesting that there have been rumors about Joe leaving for somewhere else- primarily Rutgers.

And it’s also interesting that coaches have been rumored to be reaching out to our people even though we don’t have an opening. That’s pretty unusual.

Yep. There was a serious rumor that Mike Norvell is really interested in the State job. Supposedly it was a mutual interest too. I'm just thinking Joe wants to finish 6-6 not to be able to stay but to look good to another program that would hire him.

Tbonewannabe
11-13-2019, 10:21 AM

One thing you have to take into consideration, coaches that get to that level of success typically don't give up easy. Joe is probably either going to think that we will be successful without injuries or he should be looking on how to adapt to SEC defenses.

At the end of the day, you will have to go through a SEC level defense if you have a goal of winning a National Title. It would say a lot if he really just gave up and went to an easier league. Coach O has shown you can go back to a lower league and better prepare yourself. It might be the best thing for Moorhead but will his ego allow it?

TrapGame
11-13-2019, 11:22 AM
One thing you have to take into consideration, coaches that get to that level of success typically don't give up easy. Joe is probably either going to think that we will be successful without injuries or he should be looking on how to adapt to SEC defenses.

At the end of the day, you will have to go through a SEC level defense if you have a goal of winning a National Title. It would say a lot if he really just gave up and went to an easier league. Coach O has shown you can go back to a lower league and better prepare yourself. It might be the best thing for Moorhead but will his ego allow it?

And this is what gets me. I was really expecting after last season the light bulb to come on. It seemed that way listening to his SXM SEC interview this summer. He talked about customizing the offense some more, pulling out plays from the Fordham days to suite this offense, getting the ball to the play makers, etc. I'm not seeing it. Even playing ULL and USM the eye ball test was suspicious at best.

HailStateSZN19
11-13-2019, 11:41 AM
Yep. There was a serious rumor that Mike Norvell is really interested in the State job. Supposedly it was a mutual interest too. I'm just thinking Joe wants to finish 6-6 not to be able to stay but to look good to another program that would hire him.

Where was this rumor started or where did you hear/see this? Not doubting you, that?s just the first time I?ve seen that anywhere. Did his people reach out to us or did we reach out to him? I just have a really really hard time believing there?s any truth to that rumor but hey, maybe I?m wrong. Idk. I?d love to get Norvell but this all sounds too good to be true which usually means it is. I just don?t see a realistic scenario where Joe isn?t here next year cause we ain?t getting beat down by OM and I just don?t personally see any signs that make me think he wants to get out of here so bad. Again, not doubting you or anything, that?s just my own opinion.

TrapGame
11-13-2019, 12:20 PM
Where was this rumor started or where did you hear/see this? Not doubting you, that?s just the first time I?ve seen that anywhere. Did his people reach out to us or did we reach out to him? I just have a really really hard time believing there?s any truth to that rumor but hey, maybe I?m wrong. Idk. I?d love to get Norvell but this all sounds too good to be true which usually means it is. I just don?t see a realistic scenario where Joe isn?t here next year cause we ain?t getting beat down by OM and I just don?t personally see any signs that make me think he wants to get out of here so bad. Again, not doubting you or anything, that?s just my own opinion.

Beastman said he knew people in the know who were saying it was happening. Also a couple of people on SPS with good sources were saying it too.

Dawgfan77
11-13-2019, 12:33 PM

I posted this last year but while at PSU the teams closest to SEC talent wise SloMo offense was less than stellar and less than 350 yds of offense. This should have been a huge red flag

Jarius
11-13-2019, 12:46 PM
I posted this last year but while at PSU the teams closest to SEC talent wise SloMo offense was less than stellar and less than 350 yds of offense. This should have been a huge red flag

In 2017, Joe played some teams with solid defenses. Here is how many points they scored on each:

Michigan - 42
OSU - 38
MSU - 21
Washington - 35
Iowa - 21

In 2016 the good defenses he faced they scored:

Michigan - 10
OSU - 24
Iowa - 41
MSU - 45
Wisconsin - 38
USC - 49

There were no red flags. He sucks here. It was a great hire on the surface. Shit didn't work out. The SEC defenses he is currently struggling with aren't even very good. He plays 2 or 3 defenses that are good every year here. Every other team we play is no better than anyone else he's faced. It's something else.

TrapGame
11-13-2019, 12:57 PM
To Jarius's point, I think Joe's offense is easier to scheme defensively. He's not changing it up enough.

Dawgfan77
11-13-2019, 07:48 PM
In 2017, Joe played some teams with solid defenses. Here is how many points they scored on each:

Michigan - 42
OSU - 38
MSU - 21
Washington - 35
Iowa - 21

In 2016 the good defenses he faced they scored:

Michigan - 10
OSU - 24
Iowa - 41
MSU - 45
Wisconsin - 38
USC - 49

There were no red flags. He sucks here. It was a great hire on the surface. Shit didn't work out. The SEC defenses he is currently struggling with aren't even very good. He plays 2 or 3 defenses that are good every year here. Every other team we play is no better than anyone else he's faced. It's something else.
Scores can be misleading due to INT return kick off returns which happened. Here are 16 and 17 lowest yds per game while at Penn State
191 UM
276 OSU
354 Kent state
312 Pitt
380 IU
283 OSU
304 Rutgers

Savant I tell ya

Jarius
11-14-2019, 02:31 PM
Scores can be misleading due to INT return kick off returns which happened. Here are 16 and 17 lowest yds per game while at Penn State
191 UM
276 OSU
354 Kent state
312 Pitt
380 IU
283 OSU
304 Rutgers

Savant I tell ya

He was named national offensive coordinator of the year in 2016. You are really reaching. He is bad enough here without having to make up him being bad before he got here.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
11-14-2019, 10:34 PM
There is no doubt that a guy who could not field a competent offense at a school that shits out 5 star players and is currently 3-6 at his current school is reaching out to everyone for a better coaching job. If we hire him our entire athletic department should be fired.

You do know he won a NC with them right?

Todd4State
11-14-2019, 10:37 PM
He was named national offensive coordinator of the year in 2016. You are really reaching. He is bad enough here without having to make up him being bad before he got here.

It's hard for State fans to be rational and be OK with not thinking the coach is good. I thought you did well here though.

Todd4State
11-14-2019, 10:47 PM
You also think something is going on behind the scenes? Same reasons at Trap said or something else making you think that? Just curious.

Very speculative on my part. Partially based on how our fans and major boosters feel about Joe. As I've said I've never seen a MSU coach as unpopular as Joe. Other than maybe Croom for the afternoon after the 2008 Egg Bowl and that ended that night basically. The other part of the speculation is how Joe has been acting at times. Very defensive and bringing up things like how his daughter cried because people were saying that he sucked and things like that. I could see him potentially looking for another job that's a better fit for him.

I'll also say this- if we finish the year out 6-6 and go to a bowl things may smooth over a little bit on both our side and Joe's. And that wouldn't surprise me either. Honestly- I think at 5-7 he's gone. His job is essentially coming down to the Egg Bowl.

There are reasons why the rumors are out there. I think Paul Finebaum acting like a complete douche to Joe and Cohen is what has probably caused the Rutgers rumors to quiet down honestly.

Tbonewannabe
11-15-2019, 11:34 AM
Very speculative on my part. Partially based on how our fans and major boosters feel about Joe. As I've said I've never seen a MSU coach as unpopular as Joe. Other than maybe Croom for the afternoon after the 2008 Egg Bowl and that ended that night basically. The other part of the speculation is how Joe has been acting at times. Very defensive and bringing up things like how his daughter cried because people were saying that he sucked and things like that. I could see him potentially looking for another job that's a better fit for him.

I'll also say this- if we finish the year out 6-6 and go to a bowl things may smooth over a little bit on both our side and Joe's. And that wouldn't surprise me either. Honestly- I think at 5-7 he's gone. His job is essentially coming down to the Egg Bowl.

There are reasons why the rumors are out there. I think Paul Finebaum acting like a complete douche to Joe and Cohen is what has probably caused the Rutgers rumors to quiet down honestly.

I think if we are actually somewhat competitive on offense (defense being shorthanded are just screwed this weekend) against Bama along with kicking ass the rest of the year including in a bowl game would help a lot. I will say that if that happens it just gets me back on the fence for next year. Then finishing strong in recruiting would help further. I will say outside of winning out, not many people will be fully back on the bandwagon and even then some people still won't be happy with Joe.

I personally need to see some type of offensive adjustment against Bama that actually is a philosophy change and not just a one off like Auburn last year.

Jarius
11-15-2019, 11:48 AM
You do know he won a NC with them right?

You do know he is coaching at Kansas because no one else wants an offense stuck in the 20th century, right? He recruited to a program that recruits top 5 nationally with a tomato can as a head coach. He would fail miserably at MSU, just like he is going to at Kansas.

trojandawg
11-15-2019, 11:56 AM
i think Michigan's defense and several others in the big 10 are farce also. that great michigan defense last year got torched by florida in the bowl game. defenses there just aren't built the same. the only one close is ohio state because of urban meyer bringing the sec influence. those defenses don't focus on the defensive front 7 enough. other than ohio state the offenses haven't really been innovative in the spread either up until here recently. most of of them have run something similar to iowa and wisconsin.

Tbonewannabe
11-15-2019, 11:58 AM
You do know he is coaching at Kansas because no one else wants an offense stuck in the 20th century, right? He recruited to a program that recruits top 5 nationally with a tomato can as a head coach. He would fail miserably at MSU, just like he is going to at Kansas.

Hasn't he brought in a young guy to run the spread offense? Not sure if he would do well at MSU but he has Kansas at least competitive somewhat.