PDA

View Full Version : Hate to feed fuel into the fire

TheRef
10-28-2013, 09:57 AM
But here we go. From a very reliable source, Devon hit two 70+ punts during practice back-to-back. Baker was warming up for the endzone punt. Devon is called in by Dan and sent out with cold legs (presumably). The only reason I can think of for Devon being out there to kick was to punt the ever living crap out of the ball like he did during practice. Just relaying the information that I heard from someone within the kicking/punting group.

Eric Nies Grind Time
10-28-2013, 09:59 AM
Devon Bell MVP (Most Valuable Practice)

Political Hack
10-28-2013, 10:06 AM
yeah, that's what people have been saying. But it's a nerves thing... and playing him won't force him to work through it. It's getting worse. For the sake of his mental stability it's time to give him a break and let him work his but off and develop that killer instinct football players need.

TheRef
10-28-2013, 10:08 AM
yeah, that's what people have been saying. But it's a nerves thing... and playing him won't force him to work through it. It's getting worse. For the sake of his mental stability it's time to give him a break and let him work his but off and develop that killer instinct football players need.

Agreed. It seems like he just needs a break for a week. I don't know what's going on inside of his head for him to be this bad but it's gotta be pretty damn bad.

BulldogBear
10-28-2013, 10:17 AM
Someone said (can't remember) that we oughts let him stay here this weekend and practice (and think about it). Sobiesk can't be any worse. But, probably 0% chance of any of that.

FISHDAWG
10-28-2013, 10:21 AM
we are gonna need him feeling more confident with the meat of the schedule coming up ....I just hope the guy doesn't read message boards

hacker
10-28-2013, 10:27 AM
he punted 3 or 4 times and that wasn't his first or last in the game

hacker
10-28-2013, 10:28 AM
http://i.imgur.com/VKpNf98.png

this is obviously not including the 'attempted' punt

starkvegasdawg
10-28-2013, 10:32 AM
Can we just let Devin wear his practice jersey during the game and see if that helps any? Maybe he will forget he is in an actual game.

hacker
10-28-2013, 10:51 AM
I find it intriguing that Bell actually out-punted Swedenburg except for the whole fumble thing

ckDOG
10-28-2013, 10:54 AM
Holy shit. Mullen fixing the things that don't need fixing and refusing to fix those that do. Dan, remove yourself from STs. You are a moron.

Irondawg
10-28-2013, 10:55 AM
Bell was originally recruited primarily as a punter as I recall.

Ref - was does your source say about Sobiesk in practice?

PMDawg
10-28-2013, 11:21 AM
I find it intriguing that Bell actually out-punted Swedenburg except for the whole fumble thing

well how short was the one that Baker downed inside the 20? That's a more important thing than the average sometimes. And Baker is pretty good at angling the short kicks.

AugustaDawg
10-28-2013, 11:22 AM
http://i.imgur.com/VKpNf98.png

I may be wrong but if I remember correctly Devon Bell's punts were returned for positive yardage. Very rarely Swedenburg's punts are returnable. I'll take a 40 yd punt with no return all day everyday.

DawgInMemphis
10-28-2013, 11:26 AM
There's a lot more that goes into punting than "how far." Accuracy, return yards, distance control, etc.

Barking 13
10-28-2013, 11:30 AM
There's a lot more that goes into punting than "how far." Accuracy, return yards, distance control, etc.
hang time....

blacklistedbully
10-28-2013, 11:37 AM
I hope I never have to see Bell attempt another FG in my life. That said, he is still kicking ass (pun intended) on kickoffs. Non-returnable kickoffs are worth something, so we need to keep him with the team in that role.

AgDawg
10-28-2013, 11:51 AM
The number you are looking for is Net Punting yards. So it includes after the return.

Tbonewannabe
10-28-2013, 11:57 AM
Wasn't Baker around #2 in the country in net going into this week? So if Damian Williams has a good week of practice are we benching Dak?

hacker
10-28-2013, 01:08 PM
We don't have the best net yardage, it's actually very average. However, we do have the best coverage / return yard average in the country.

NEGATIVE 0.7 yards per return. That is amazing. The next closest team is POSITIVE 2.7 yards.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/statistics/team/_/stat/punting/sort/avgPuntReturnYards/order/false

TheRef
10-28-2013, 01:10 PM
Bell was originally recruited primarily as a punter as I recall.

Ref - was does your source say about Sobiesk in practice?

I asked, he chuckled and moved on.

engie
10-28-2013, 01:32 PM
We don't have the best net yardage, it's actually very average. However, we do have the best coverage / return yard average in the country.

NEGATIVE 0.7 yards per return. That is amazing. The next closest team is POSITIVE 2.7 yards.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/statistics/team/_/stat/punting/sort/avgPuntReturnYards/order/false

Something isn't right with that stat...

We average punts of 43.3 yards. They've been returned a total of -0.7yds/return(6 return attempts in 22 punts). And our net average is 37.7? Number doesn't add up. Seems we should be about 43.5 net -- which would put us second in the country...

Irondawg
10-28-2013, 02:08 PM
I asked, he chuckled and moved on.

interesting - no way to tell what that means. is it laughing at the fan base always believing the backup is better when the team knows they're notor if it's an inside joke that he's lights out in practice too and Mullen just loves Bell

engie
10-28-2013, 02:11 PM
interesting - no way to tell what that means. is it laughing at the fan base always believing the backup is better when the team knows they're notor if it's an inside joke that he's lights out in practice too and Mullen just loves Bell

If we don't have a kicker on campus in year 5 that can hit > 50% from 30-39, how is that not a huge, huge indictment of Mullen. Guarantee there are multiple former kickers on campus that can give us that.

DawgInMemphis
10-28-2013, 02:41 PM
Something isn't right with that stat...

We average punts of 43.3 yards. They've been returned a total of -0.7yds/return(6 return attempts in 22 punts). And our net average is 37.7? Number doesn't add up. Seems we should be about 43.5 net -- which would put us second in the country...

Penalties may factor into net punting average as well. I'm not sure.

LeakyD
10-28-2013, 03:07 PM
Touchbacks bring the average down.

Shortbusjeff
10-28-2013, 06:11 PM
I think you meant to say he was "sent out with cold hands"!

sbcmortgageman
10-28-2013, 07:48 PM
[img]http://i.imgur.com/VKpNf98.png[/img

Does this count that atrocious kick after the safety?? Never seen anything that bad.

TaleofTwoDogs
10-28-2013, 11:36 PM
Wow! The punting stats are fantastic. Not only do we have the lowest net return yards, we have the least amount of punts at 22. We are #1 in punting. Bama is 108 & LSU is 61. Vandy is the next highest SEC team at #9 in the nation.

Mullen must be doing something right.

engie
10-28-2013, 11:51 PM
Wow! The punting stats are fantastic. Not only do we have the lowest net return yards, we have the least amount of punts at 22. We are #1 in punting. Bama is 108 & LSU is 61. Vandy is the next highest SEC team at #9 in the nation.

Mullen must be doing something right.

Bama and LSU basically only pooch punt**