PDA

View Full Version : PJ Fleck

defiantdog
11-09-2019, 12:19 PM
He's going to get paid real soon by someone. He's got a mid tier team playing like one of the big boys today.

TNDawg35
11-09-2019, 12:38 PM
Minnesota just gave him a nice extension and raise...

ShotgunDawg
11-09-2019, 12:42 PM
I hope he stays at Minnesota

I am so sick of good coaches leaving 2nd tier programs for blue bloods. It's bad for the game & prevents 2nd tier programs from getting into the top tier.

Again, sick of it & hope Fleck stays just like I wished Mullen would've been all in on staying at MSU for 20 years.

ShotgunDawg
11-09-2019, 12:43 PM
Minnesota just gave him a nice extension and raise...

His buyout plummets to like $500K after 2020 though in his new contact

MetEdDawg
11-09-2019, 12:49 PM
His buyout plummets to like $500K after 2020 though in his new contact

Probably for that exact reason. Chance to elevate to a blue blood.

defiantdog
11-09-2019, 12:51 PM

I am so sick of good coaches leaving 2nd tier programs for blue bloods. It's bad for the game & prevents 2nd tier programs from getting into the top tier.

Again, sick of it & hope Fleck stays just like I wished Mullen would've been all in on staying at MSU for 20 years.

I just don't see it..... the blue bloods are too enticing for up and coming coaches. He just got a bump to put him in the top 15 to 20 coaches, Auburn and FSU could offer more money and more incentives to put him easily in the top 10.

MarketingBully
11-09-2019, 01:26 PM
PJ Fleck isn’t going to stay at Minnesota much longer but if I were him I’d hold out on a Midwestern blue blood. That’s where he has been his whole career. I think the biggest mistake the rising star coaches make is they go to programs they aren’t a fit at even though they seem like can’t miss coaches. In order to be successful, you can’t just be a good coach it takes a great fit with that school as well.

ShotgunDawg
11-09-2019, 01:36 PM
I just don't see it..... the blue bloods are too enticing for up and coming coaches. He just got a bump to put him in the top 15 to 20 coaches, Auburn and FSU could offer more money and more incentives to put him easily in the top 10.

Oh, I see why they leave for sure. No doubt. I just wish they wouldn't. It's bad for the game & puts a glass ceiling on 90% of the schools in the country

defiantdog
11-09-2019, 01:40 PM
PJ Fleck isn’t going to stay at Minnesota much longer but if I were him I’d hold out on a Midwestern blue blood. That’s where he has been his whole career. I think the biggest mistake the rising star coaches make is they go to programs they aren’t a fit at even though they seem like can’t miss coaches. In order to be successful, you can’t just be a good coach it takes a great fit with that school as well.

Sometimes..... Saban is from the great white north, yet he's been pretty successful in the south.

MarketingBully
11-09-2019, 01:50 PM
Sometimes..... Saban is from the great white north, yet he's been pretty successful in the south.

One guy and he happened to be the greatest coach of all time. Come on man.

defiantdog
11-09-2019, 02:04 PM

JWS did a lot of his coaching in the north before returning to the south and even Rich Brooks did a decent job of getting Kentucky bowling again after a decade of losing seasons.

Sometimes coaches are just good and can make any situation fit.

Lord McBuckethead
11-09-2019, 02:06 PM

But why would someone want to do that? Life has to be easy at Minn.

defiantdog
11-09-2019, 02:22 PM
But why would someone want to do that? Life has to be easy at Minn.

Saban had it easy at Mich St, Tom Herman had it easy at Houston, Kevin Sumlin had it easy at Houston, Tubberville had it easy at OM, Holgorsen left WVU for Houston, Brian Kelly left a good gig at Cincinnati for Notre Dame, Petrino left Louisville for Arkansas, James Frankling had the easiest job at Vandy and left for a blue blood, Les Miles left OK State for LSU, Mack Brown left UNC for Texas to only return to UNC, Bear Bryant left Kentucky for A&M for Alabama.....

In other words, coaches leave all the time for all kinds of reasons. They want a new challenge, want to be in the spotlight, want more money, etc.

RocketDawg
11-09-2019, 02:56 PM

Bobby Bowden brought Florida State from one of the worst teams in the country to one of the best. And he stayed there. Unless PJ were to happen to come to State I'd like to see him stay at Minnesota as well.

RocketDawg
11-09-2019, 03:00 PM

Miles did pretty well at LSU. Mullen did OK at State. It doesn't matter where the coach is from.

DogsofAnarchy
11-09-2019, 03:08 PM
Miles did pretty well at LSU. Mullen did OK at State. It doesn't matter where the coach is from.

It sure doesn’t. Either you can coach or you can’t. From team #8 to Team # 35 the talent is VERY close. Coaching is the difference in College Football.

Lord McBuckethead
11-09-2019, 04:15 PM
Saban had it easy at Mich St, Tom Herman had it easy at Houston, Kevin Sumlin had it easy at Houston, Tubberville had it easy at OM, Holgorsen left WVU for Houston, Brian Kelly left a good gig at Cincinnati for Notre Dame, Petrino left Louisville for Arkansas, James Frankling had the easiest job at Vandy and left for a blue blood, Les Miles left OK State for LSU, Mack Brown left UNC for Texas to only return to UNC, Bear Bryant left Kentucky for A&M for Alabama.....

In other words, coaches leave all the time for all kinds of reasons. They want a new challenge, want to be in the spotlight, want more money, etc.

Yeah, but that was then. Where 5 of these worked out, there are 100s of others that did not and the coach probably wish they stayed at the previous smaller school. Money helps though.

Liverpooldawg
11-09-2019, 04:27 PM

Mullen had coached in the SEC though.

Liverpooldawg
11-09-2019, 04:28 PM
Bobby Bowden brought Florida State from one of the worst teams in the country to one of the best. And he stayed there. Unless PJ were to happen to come to State I'd like to see him stay at Minnesota as well.

Same here.

WPS
11-09-2019, 10:48 PM

Petrino left Louisville for the Falcons and then left there for Arkansas midseason

1bigdawg
11-10-2019, 11:16 AM
PJ Fleck isn’t going to stay at Minnesota much longer but if I were him I’d hold out on a Midwestern blue blood.

Poor Urban Meyer - spent his whole career in the Midwest until he went to Florida and took a bunch of northern guys to coach with him. No wonder he couldn't win.**

MrKotter
11-10-2019, 11:54 AM

West Virginia is the great white north?

TUSK
11-10-2019, 01:12 PM

Bout time someone caught that... kudos, Kotter.

Really Clark?
11-10-2019, 01:44 PM
Poor Urban Meyer - spent his whole career in the Midwest until he went to Florida and took a bunch of northern guys to coach with him. No wonder he couldn't win.**

You forgot going to Utah before Florida...3 totally different regions and recruiting backgrounds.

defiantdog
11-10-2019, 01:51 PM

I thought we were talking about coaching careers, not where they grew up as a kid. Toledo and East Lansing are part of the great white north.

DLGDawg
11-10-2019, 03:14 PM
IMO....arguably the greatest recruiter of all time. He has the most talent top to bottom every year(after his 4th year approximately). Yet, he loses to inferior teams. That?s my $.02

R2Dawg
11-10-2019, 07:17 PM
Yeah, but that was then. Where 5 of these worked out, there are 100s of others that did not and the coach probably wish they stayed at the previous smaller school. Money helps though.

Now hasn't changed anything. Mullen left two years ago. Jimbo left FSU for TAMU. Coaches leave places they built and had it made all the time. These million dollar CEOs want the next biggest challenge to conquer. Same reason Saban, Spurrier, Pitino, etc left college for the pros. Funny none of those worked out either.