PDA

View Full Version : Deion Sanders

KOdawg1
11-08-2019, 08:08 AM
Is being considered to be the HC at FSU according to legit sources. Holy crap, that would be awesome. Idk if it would work, but it would be fun to watch.

DownwardDawg
11-08-2019, 08:19 AM
If so, they’re done. Completely lost their minds. Surely this ain’t legit???

Uncivilengineer
11-08-2019, 08:27 AM
Some FSU Site was also talking about Saban to FSU was a done deal.

KOdawg1
11-08-2019, 08:29 AM

I said legit sources. Go look it up.

Tbonewannabe
11-08-2019, 08:47 AM
That seems like a very out there choice if true. I would think that there would be a huge learning curve unless he has been involved with head coaches in every aspect. He would probably kill it in recruiting though but Taggert was a good recruiter. This is a lot more out there than if we somehow ended up with Joe Judge. Has Deion ever been a coach at any level?

KOdawg1
11-08-2019, 08:50 AM
That seems like a very out there choice if true. I would think that there would be a huge learning curve unless he has been involved with head coaches in every aspect. He would probably kill it in recruiting though but Taggert was a good recruiter. This is a lot more out there than if we somehow ended up with Joe Judge. Has Deion ever been a coach at any level?

He coached at a high school he co-founded and got fired from it lol. I really dont think it will happen but it would be entertaining as hell

Tbonewannabe
11-08-2019, 09:03 AM
He coached at a high school he co-founded and got fired from it lol. I really dont think it will happen but it would be entertaining as hell

Yes it would. You would also possibly burn a bridge to your most famous alum when you eventually had to fire him. That drama in itself would probably be worth the price of admission.

THE Bruce Dickinson
11-08-2019, 09:19 AM
This should serve as a warning.

All of our posters who have said “See, a major program fired their coach after 2 years!” Are about to see why that’s a bad idea. They are considering hiring Deon. Let that sink in. They are on their way to being Tennessee part 2 of they aren’t careful.

Maybe some people would like Smoot to be our head coach, but I will pass on that one.

StateDawg44
11-08-2019, 09:23 AM
This is borderline some UT Grumours. I just can't believe they are actually pursuing him.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
11-08-2019, 09:26 AM
Is being considered to be the HC at FSU according to legit sources. Holy crap, that would be awesome. Idk if it would work, but it would be fun to watch.

I think they should get Freeze

Johnson85
11-08-2019, 09:29 AM

All of our posters who have said “See, a major program fired their coach after 2 years!” Are about to see why that’s a bad idea. They are considering hiring Deon. Let that sink in. They are on their way to being Tennessee part 2 of they aren’t careful.

Maybe some people would like Smoot to be our head coach, but I will pass on that one.

FSU's problem has basically nothing to do with firing Taggert and everything to do with considering hiring Deion as HC (if tha'ts even true). It's not like FSU is all the sudden an undesirable job and they can't get any other head coaches to go there. They could still probably poach what, 98% of G5 coaches and 50%+ of P5 coaches?

If this has any legs at all, I am guessing some boosters are looking at Orgeron and underestimating what it takes to do what Orgeron is doing, and they are thinking they will hire Deion for recruiting and then pay big for two coordinators and a special teams coach. But I bet there are no real legs to this and it is like one or two crazy boosters that people have to pretend to listen to b/c they have money.

THE Bruce Dickinson
11-08-2019, 09:35 AM
FSU's problem has basically nothing to do with firing Taggert and everything to do with considering hiring Deion as HC (if tha'ts even true). It's not like FSU is all the sudden an undesirable job and they can't get any other head coaches to go there. They could still probably poach what, 98% of G5 coaches and 50%+ of P5 coaches?

If this has any legs at all, I am guessing some boosters are looking at Orgeron and underestimating what it takes to do what Orgeron is doing, and they are thinking they will hire Deion for recruiting and then pay big for two coordinators and a special teams coach. But I bet there are no real legs to this and it is like one or two crazy boosters that people have to pretend to listen to b/c they have money.

It probably has a lot to do with Taggart. Maybe those 98% of G5 and 50% of P5 are saying, I?m not going to take over that shit show especially when the administration has demonstrated that they will fire me after 21 games. Maybe that?s how we have come full circle and are now hinting at hiring Deion Sanders.

People need to calm down on this Orgeron stuff. When LSU gets their ass whipped this weekend people will hopefully cool off.

THE Bruce Dickinson
11-08-2019, 09:36 AM

It probably has a lot to do with Taggart. Maybe those 98% of G5 and 50% of P5 are saying, I’m not going to take over that shit show especially when the administration has demonstrated that they will fire me after 21 games. Maybe that’s how we have come full circle and are now hinting at hiring Deion Sanders.

People need to calm down on this Orgeron stuff. When LSU gets their ass whipped this weekend people will hopefully cool off.

Really Clark?
11-08-2019, 09:39 AM

You are jumping the shark...let’s wait a little for this plot to unfold. The new AD does like creating buzz and has been pretty outspoken on the hire.

THE Bruce Dickinson
11-08-2019, 09:49 AM
I agree. This may very well play out and and turn into a positive for FSU. We will see.

I just think everyone should take one of how fast things can go off the rails. They literally shouldn’t even be discussing Deion. He’s not a coach and never has been. Also, if they can poach so many other coaches, why aren’t their names coming up?

Also, we dot have the resources or reputation of Florida State

Martianlander
11-08-2019, 09:58 AM

He has certainly run his mouth at every level.

Johnson85
11-08-2019, 10:04 AM
It probably has a lot to do with Taggart. Maybe those 98% of G5 and 50% of P5 are saying, I’m not going to take over that shit show especially when the administration has demonstrated that they will fire me after 21 games. Maybe that’s how we have come full circle and are now hinting at hiring Deion Sanders.

That's pretty fantastical. Even ignoring how unlikely it would be that coaches would not take the risk for FSU's job, you think they've rattled the bushes and figured out the are stuck with somebody like Deion in basically a week?

If we fired a coach after 21 games when he was more or less maintaining the status quo from the season before he got there recordwise, we would potentially have trouble getting a head coach. FSU doesn't have that problem. There are probably some good coaches that can afford to be picky who will pass on FSU when they might have been interested if Taggert had been given three seasons (or even two full seasons). But they are not going to have trouble getting a coach unless they 17 up the coaching hire like UT. They need a consulting firm. They need to not leak. They need to be realistic and not reach out to half a dozen long shots before a likely candidate. They are still a school where it's proven you can win a national championship in the modern ear, which is a criteria that not many schools can meet and which is going to ensure they can get a good coaching prospect.

Jack Lambert
11-08-2019, 10:10 AM
FSU is the only school that can make a run at Clemson in the ACC. If they do this the ACC will always be a one team league.

msbulldog
11-08-2019, 10:16 AM
T-Buck is a famous alum.

THE Bruce Dickinson
11-08-2019, 10:24 AM
That's pretty fantastical. Even ignoring how unlikely it would be that coaches would not take the risk for FSU's job, you think they've rattled the bushes and figured out the are stuck with somebody like Deion in basically a week?

If we fired a coach after 21 games when he was more or less maintaining the status quo from the season before he got there recordwise, we would potentially have trouble getting a head coach. FSU doesn't have that problem. There are probably some good coaches that can afford to be picky who will pass on FSU when they might have been interested if Taggert had been given three seasons (or even two full seasons). But they are not going to have trouble getting a coach unless they 17 up the coaching hire like UT. They need a consulting firm. They need to not leak. They need to be realistic and not reach out to half a dozen long shots before a likely candidate. They are still a school where it's proven you can win a national championship in the modern ear, which is a criteria that not many schools can meet and which is going to ensure they can get a good coaching prospect.

That’s a good take, and a realistic one. I guess only time will tell in regards to the hire. Maybe they make a huge splash. I certainly don’t think it is out of their stratosphere.

And I agree with what they need to be doing: Hire a firm, not let names leak etc. But it’s only been a week since Taggart was fired and there are people saying Saban is going to leave Bama, and Deion’s name floating out there.

I bet people in 2001 didn’t think Tennessee football was capable of sinking so low, but yet here we are. They got here from a number of stupid coaching firings/ hires that were driven by a mob mentality. I hope we don’t make similar mistakes.

Johnson85
11-08-2019, 10:35 AM
That’s a good take, and a realistic one. I guess only time will tell in regards to the hire. Maybe they make a huge splash. I certainly don’t think it is out of their stratosphere.

And I agree with what they need to be doing: Hire a firm, not let names leak etc. But it’s only been a week since Taggart was fired and there are people saying Saban is going to leave Bama, and Deion’s name floating out there.

I bet people in 2001 didn’t think Tennessee football was capable of sinking so low, but yet here we are. They got here from a number of stupid coaching firings/ hires that were driven by a mob mentality. I hope we don’t make similar mistakes.

Maybe not, but it's easy to see in hindsight that they were on borrowed time as far as being a consistent national power. Same as nebraska. FSU does not have the advantages it once had. They are not the only game in the ACC and recruiting has gotten more national in general, meaning Florida is hit harder, and then UCF and USF while not a threat to FSU, probably do occasionally snatch up what would be FSU's backup options before FSU knows they need them. On the flip side, Miami is also not what it once was and probably not going to get back. All in all, while the days of FSU waltzing through the regular season with only one or two real challenges are gone, they are still one of the best positioned schools int he country as far as competing for a national championship. If they hire a good coach, they will at least be in the national championship picture. If UT hires a good coach, they will probably top out at being in the Big 6 discussion without actually being a legitimate nationahip championship contender.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
11-08-2019, 10:44 AM
T-Buck is a famous alum.

He is an alum...famous? That's a stretch

BrunswickDawg
11-08-2019, 11:03 AM
Maybe not, but it's easy to see in hindsight that they were on borrowed time as far as being a consistent national power. Same as nebraska. FSU does not have the advantages it once had. They are not the only game in the ACC and recruiting has gotten more national in general, meaning Florida is hit harder, and then UCF and USF while not a threat to FSU, probably do occasionally snatch up what would be FSU's backup options before FSU knows they need them. On the flip side, Miami is also not what it once was and probably not going to get back. All in all, while the days of FSU waltzing through the regular season with only one or two real challenges are gone, they are still one of the best positioned schools int he country as far as competing for a national championship. If they hire a good coach, they will at least be in the national championship picture. If UT hires a good coach, they will probably top out at being in the Big 6 discussion without actually being a legitimate nationahip championship contender.

I think these changes have had a big impact on FSU and Miami, and will catch up with UF (they've shown some signs already). And it is cumulative based on the number of teams that are DI now - it's not just USF and UCF, throw in FAU, FIU, South Alabama (25 Fl kids on roster), and Georgia Southern (16 FL kids). Heck - defending DII Champion Valdosta State has 56 Florida kids on the roster - more FL kids then GA kids at a GA school. Even with the number of players Florida produces, eventually the numbers start to diminish because so many schools are picking the talent.

ETA: I'm not saying FSU/Miami are missing DII kids - it just shows how many schools are recruiting and securing football players from FL today versus 25-30 years ago.

WeWonItAll(Most)
11-08-2019, 12:05 PM

That was a troll account.

Johnson85
11-08-2019, 12:41 PM
I think these changes have had a big impact on FSU and Miami, and will catch up with UF (they've shown some signs already). And it is cumulative based on the number of teams that are DI now - it's not just USF and UCF, throw in FAU, FIU, South Alabama (25 Fl kids on roster), and Georgia Southern (16 FL kids). Heck - defending DII Champion Valdosta State has 56 Florida kids on the roster - more FL kids then GA kids at a GA school. Even with the number of players Florida produces, eventually the numbers start to diminish because so many schools are picking the talent.

ETA: I'm not saying FSU/Miami are missing DII kids - it just shows how many schools are recruiting and securing football players from FL today versus 25-30 years ago.

I agree that hurts them, but I don't think it's a game changer for them. Just means they have to do a good job recruiting. Before, if they chased a national kid or high ranked instate kid and got left at the alter, there would likely be an instate guy available that would still have a lot of potential. Now, with everybody recruiting florida like you pointed out, they've got to have their backup pinned down or else he'll already be committed to another school.

But you still have a clear advantage as UF and FSU for in state talent. Because of being a peninsula, a huge chunk of the state's high school population has to basically drive right past Gainesville to get to another major college other than Miami (which has its challenges as a small private school) and if they don't go right past Tallahassee, it's still closer than other major schools.

If I were going to pick a school to win a national championship at, my first bet would be LSU. My second best would I guess be Bama. And after that, I'd put Florida and FSU in a group with Ohio State, USC, UT, UGA, etc. May be a tougher hill to climb than they had in the past, but still a very desirable spot to be.

MD2020
11-08-2019, 01:28 PM

He wasn't fired the school closed. He's currently coaching his son's team and has won the state championship 2 years in a row. It would be no worse than Ed O. If he brought in good coordinators he'd be aligned perfectly. He's a hall of fame player that's accustomed to the media and is currently the AU all American game. He's more prepared than most think.

KOdawg1
11-08-2019, 02:19 PM
He wasn't fired the school closed. He's currently coaching his son's team and has won the state championship 2 years in a row. It would be no worse than Ed O. If he brought in good coordinators he'd be aligned perfectly. He's a hall of fame player that's accustomed to the media and is currently the AU all American game. He's more prepared than most think.
From Wikipedia..

Sanders has made an effort to coach at several different stops. His first being with the charter school Prime Prep Academy in 2012 which he helped found, but was later fired as the coach after a school staffer alleged Sanders assaulted the staffer.

StarkVegasSteve
11-08-2019, 02:34 PM

Eddy O is a lot different. First off, Ed has been a position coach/coordinator since the 90s and had previous HC experience at both OM and USC. Deion has no experience with a college staff whatsoever. As we're seeing with Moorhead, knowing how to be a HC in a P5 conference is not something you pick up on the fly. Secondly, Ed is a Cajun just like all their fans, and with LSU being the only P5 school in the state the entire State of Louisiana is behind Ed and wants him to succeed. He's one of them. The people of Florida don't give a rats ass if Deion succeeds nor do they care that he played at FSU. Their fans just want someone who will win.

SheltonChoked
11-08-2019, 02:41 PM

Sorry huge jump between Ed O at Ole Miss and Deion.

Deion has been an Offensive Coordinator at at HIGH SCHOOL

Ed O had been a College Coach for 20 years including being the Assistant Head Coach

Deion to FSU is like MSU hiring ROB TRIPLETT to replace Moorhead (no offense Rob, you have way more coaching experience than Deion)

MD2020
11-08-2019, 03:13 PM
Sorry huge jump between Ed O at Ole Miss and Deion.

Deion has been an Offensive Coordinator at at HIGH SCHOOL

Ed O had been a College Coach for 20 years including being the Assistant Head Coach

Deion to FSU is like MSU hiring ROB TRIPLETT to replace Moorhead (no offense Rob, you have way more coaching experience than Deion)

Rob Triplett is not an NFL football Hall of Famer. Deion has more football knowledge from playing and elite coaches tutelage than most College coaches combined. If Gus is successful Deion would definitely be a decent head coach at FSU

MD2020
11-08-2019, 03:15 PM
Eddy O is a lot different. First off, Ed has been a position coach/coordinator since the 90s and had previous HC experience at both OM and USC. Deion has no experience with a college staff whatsoever. As we're seeing with Moorhead, knowing how to be a HC in a P5 conference is not something you pick up on the fly. Secondly, Ed is a Cajun just like all their fans, and with LSU being the only P5 school in the state the entire State of Louisiana is behind Ed and wants him to succeed. He's one of them. The people of Florida don't give a rats ass if Deion succeeds nor do they care that he played at FSU. Their fans just want someone who will win.

Fans don't win games. All he would need are the powerful boosters support and he could have a legitimate chance.

StarkVegasSteve
11-08-2019, 03:18 PM
I personally hope they hire him. It'd be hilarious to watch that train wreck til they cut bait after a couple of years. They're beyond stupid to not be considering Mark Stoops for that job. He can build a program and knows how to win. Hell, he's currently playing a WR at QB and is winning ballgames in the SEC.

parabrave
11-08-2019, 03:51 PM
I do have an honest question. How good are the facilities at FSU? I heard on a nationally televised show that they weren't that great and most SEC schools have much better.

defiantdog
11-08-2019, 03:55 PM
I do have an honest question. How good are the facilities at FSU? I heard on a nationally televised show that they weren't that great and most SEC schools have much better.
Jimbo tried to get this resolved while he was there with little luck. ACC Network money should help, but it?s still not the same revenue as the SEC.

Really Clark?
11-08-2019, 05:19 PM
Rob Triplett is not an NFL football Hall of Famer. Deion has more football knowledge from playing and elite coaches tutelage than most College coaches combined. If Gus is successful Deion would definitely be a decent head coach at FSU

My goodness that is bad take...playing at a high level and having great coaches does not determine if they will be a successful head coach. For any sport. Gretzky, Magic, Ted Williams, Bart Starr, Art Shell, Mike Singletary, etc....all Hall of Famers...busts as coaches. Give me the guy who went to Wesleyan University and never played a down of NFL football...Bill Belichick. Or how about a DB from Kent State, never played in the NFL and initially only stayed at Kent State as an assistant while his wife finished school...didn’t even initially intend to enter the coaching ranks...that’s Nick Saban.

In college football there are only 4 who have been inducted into the Hall of Fame as a player and coach. Steve Spurrier is the only one in recent history.

There have been 15-20 Hall of Fame NFL players who ended up being a HC. Only 4 have winning records