PDA

View Full Version : Joey Gatewood?Transfer QB from Auburn

HailStateSZN19
11-07-2019, 08:51 PM
https://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/11/07/auburn-transfer-qb-joey-gatewood-to-reportedly-visit-kentucky-florida-lsu-mississippi-state/

Has anyone else seen this? It mentions us as being in the mix for him and several other news media including 247 mentions us in articles about possible landing spots for him. Lists Kentucky, Florida, LSU, & us and he?s OV Kentucky this weekend. Anyone know if there?s anything to this or if we?re legitimately interested in him?

msstate7
11-07-2019, 08:57 PM
It would be extremely weird to go after gatewood when we had a very similar player in key

Todd4State
11-07-2019, 09:00 PM
It makes sense only if we want to redshirt Shrader. I wouldn’t think that would be real high on the priority list for us though.

Cooterpoot
11-07-2019, 09:03 PM
Not happening

Todd4State
11-07-2019, 09:04 PM
I see that Gatewood would be a sophomore. We don’t make sense for him.

HailStateSZN19
11-07-2019, 09:08 PM
I didn’t figure so but I thought it was odd for us to even be listed in the article as “in the mix” when we have our QB of the future already on roster. I’m betting it’s either UK or LSU. UK would be less competition but LSU can sell what they’re doing with Burrow. UF already has Emory Jones.

Jack Lambert
11-07-2019, 09:24 PM
It would be extremely weird to go after gatewood when we had a very similar player in key

With the transfer portal you never know who we are going to lose and in return if there is someone in it that is good we should go for it. Just my opinion.

parabrave
11-07-2019, 09:27 PM
He might make a good Sooner.

defiantdog
11-07-2019, 09:49 PM
I?d be surprised if he stayed in the SEC.

chef dixon
11-07-2019, 10:46 PM
He is not very good

ShotgunDawg
11-07-2019, 10:49 PM
He might make a good Sooner.

The Sooners need to find a way out of the transfer QB cycle. It’s bad for re recruiting and an unstable ground upon which to build your program.

TUSK
11-07-2019, 10:55 PM
I hope he xfers out of the SEC. Cat prolly shoulda started at Aubie.

ShotgunDawg
11-07-2019, 11:03 PM
LSU better worry about getting caught in this cycle as well.

MD2020
11-08-2019, 06:52 AM
I hope he xfers out of the SEC. Cat prolly shoulda started at Aubie.

Indeed. Gus allowed the outside pressure of legacy and boosters to get in his mental with this situation.

MD2020
11-08-2019, 06:57 AM
Truthfully the way Moorehead handled the Qb room we're going to need QBs. Stevens is leaving, KT is leaving, Mayden possibly leaving, and the walkon kid put his name in the portal. Guys that leaves only Shrader on the roster remaining at Qb. Hell yes we need Gatewood. Moorehead keeps screwing up.

timotheus
11-08-2019, 07:05 AM
He should be playing at auburn and their record would be about the same. I do wish that we had him but with the way Joe handles QB's there ain't no telling who we end up with as backups with all the rest of em leaving. There is no way that all these transfers can just go to another school and immediately start. It may ruin the game.

msbulldog
11-08-2019, 07:28 AM
Truthfully the way Moorehead handled the Qb room we're going to need QBs. Stevens is leaving, KT is leaving, Mayden possibly leaving, and the walkon kid put his name in the portal. Guys that leaves only Shrader on the roster remaining at Qb. Hell yes we need Gatewood. Moorehead keeps screwing up.

How is he screwing up trying to put the best man in the position. Moorhead can't help it if these kids get ready to transfer.

MD2020
11-08-2019, 07:54 AM
How is he screwing up trying to put the best man in the position. Moorhead can't help it if these kids get ready to transfer.

Absolutely he can control it. It's team morale and decision making. One decision impacts another.

BrunswickDawg
11-08-2019, 08:16 AM

The walk on had to do it to visit a grad school - had nothing to do with football - just stupid NCAA technicalities.

Tbonewannabe
11-08-2019, 08:21 AM

It is just the nature of the game now. KT for some reason doesn't fit well with what Joe wants the QB to do and he can't or won't adjust the offense to him. Same probably goes for Mayden. Stevens graduates and Shrader has pretty much solidified himself as the starter. We have Rogers coming in this year as a freshman but you would hope that you have someone for depth so you could redshirt Rogers. We need a Juco QB for depth at least in case Shrader gets injured or has a helmet pop off in a key moment.

Not many teams have QB depth now with the system in place.

Ari Gold
11-08-2019, 08:41 AM

So if Joe didnt go after TS, and GS ended up beating out KT this year its a given both Mayden and KT come back for next year? What if we had landed Kelly Bryant is that any different ?
I understand the frustration and want by many for us to part ways with Joe
But how is it bad thing to try and make the team better.. ??

Again does everyone understand why we were searching for a QB before the year started??

chef dixon
11-08-2019, 09:03 AM
So if Joe didnt go after TS, and GS ended up beating out KT this year its a given both Mayden and KT come back for next year? What if we had landed Kelly Bryant is that any different ?

Again does everyone understand why we were searching for a QB before the year started??

The frustration is simply he tried to make the team better and it didn?t. We are still at least 4-5 with KT and a likely redshirt of Shrader, then going into next year with a senior and a promising RS freshman. It is obviously all hindsight now but it does reflect poorly on Joe. He made his own bed and he is shitting in it now.

BrunswickDawg
11-08-2019, 10:23 AM
The frustration is simply he tried to make the team better and it didn?t. We are still at least 4-5 with KT and a likely redshirt of Shrader, then going into next year with a senior and a promising RS freshman. It is obviously all hindsight now but it does reflect poorly on Joe. He made his own bed and he is shitting in it now.

I think people are making a big assumption about KT being better - we simply don't know. There were a number of people on this board who believed that Mullen made a big mistake going with Fitz, and that either Williams or Staley were a better option.

BB30
11-08-2019, 10:24 AM

Na, Key wasn't good enough and Mayden will be here next year. You really listing a walkon that put his name in the portal for academic reasons as evidence of bad QB management.

Again, there is a lot of things you can bash Jomo about but this is a stretch.

You have Shrader, Mayden, and Rogers from Brandon coming in. That is still a better QB room than we have historically had. Throw in Gatewood who I would think would be a take if he wants to come and its a very solid room.

On Gatewood, the kid is very talented and I think he will have a chance to be really good wherever he lands.

BB30
11-08-2019, 10:34 AM

What have you seen from Key that makes you think he would have been any better than Stevens? If Stevens doesn't get hurt he absolutely is the better choice and it was the correct decision to bring him in. Nobody expected him to get hurt in the 2nd game of the season. What is to say Key wouldn't have gotten hurt at some point and Shrader would of still had to play or that Shrader would have potentially beat him out anyway?

Key never did anything IMO that suggests that he was going to be a stud. He racked up some stats against poor competition. Scored on a terrible Sirmon defense in a bowl game and had a deer in the headlights look against ATM last year.

That being said, I hope Key goes on to have a nice career at his next stop as he seems like a good kid and good athlete.

MD2020
11-08-2019, 12:34 PM
Na, Key wasn't good enough and Mayden will be here next year. You really listing a walkon that put his name in the portal for academic reasons as evidence of bad QB management.

Again, there is a lot of things you can bash Jomo about but this is a stretch.

You have Shrader, Mayden, and Rogers from Brandon coming in. That is still a better QB room than we have historically had. Throw in Gatewood who I would think would be a take if he wants to come and its a very solid room.

On Gatewood, the kid is very talented and I think he will have a chance to be really good wherever he lands.

You have no idea if Mayden stays. Why would he?

MD2020
11-08-2019, 12:37 PM

I have no problem with putting the best players on the field. However, good coaching is also managing egos to keep kids around even if it's depth only. I'm referring more to Mayden. If he leaves the team is one injury away sitting in the same situation next year.

smootness
11-08-2019, 02:07 PM
The Sooners need to find a way out of the transfer QB cycle. It?s bad for re recruiting and an unstable ground upon which to build your program.

Doesn't seem to be hurting them at all, with Rattler on campus this year and Vandagriff coming in 2 years.

My guess is they'll pull back on it now.

Cooterpoot
11-08-2019, 03:20 PM
Absolutely he can control it. It's team morale and decision making. One decision impacts another.

1. There is no team morale issue.
2. KT would be behind Shrader anyway.
3. Mayden ain?t leaving when he?s one play from starting QB, especially when he?s a runner.
4. Our walk on isn?t leaving.
5. We?re about to get a commit from the top QB in MS for 21.
Gatewood isn?t good and will be a back up somewhere or a G5 starter

MD2020
11-08-2019, 03:29 PM
1. There is no team morale issue.
2. KT would be behind Shrader anyway.
3. Mayden ain?t leaving when he?s one play from starting QB, especially when he?s a runner.
4. Our walk on isn?t leaving.
5. We?re about to get a commit from the top QB in MS for 21.
Gatewood isn?t good and will be a back up somewhere or a G5 starter

1.There is definitely a team morale issue. The team supports Shrader
2. Maybe
3. That's your take. What does being a runner have to do with anything? He'll wait for an injury?
5. That has no impact for next year.

ScoobaDawg
11-08-2019, 04:18 PM
1.There is definitely a team morale issue. The team supports Shrader
2. Maybe
3. That's your take. What does being a runner have to do with anything? He'll wait for an injury?
5. That has no impact for next year.

Come back in 16 more days bulldawg28

BB30
11-08-2019, 04:33 PM
You have no idea if Mayden stays. Why would he?

And you have no idea that he is leaving although you insinuated that he was despite no evidence pointing to that. You're simply looking for any reason to bash JOMO. There is already plenty to bash him about that has already happened. So what it the point in bashing him on something that hasn't even happened yet?

Reasons to stay:
Not scared of competition
Likes his school, team, and teammates/ being in the SEC
Chance to play QB at a power 5 school when in all likelihood if he transferred he would land at G5 school.
being #2 on the depth chart allows for some playing time along with only being one injury away from being the #1 guy
If he transfers to another P5 school he is more than likely still going to be a #2 or #3 on the depth chart.

chef dixon
11-08-2019, 05:09 PM
What have you seen from Key that makes you think he would have been any better than Stevens? If Stevens doesn't get hurt he absolutely is the better choice and it was the correct decision to bring him in. Nobody expected him to get hurt in the 2nd game of the season. What is to say Key wouldn't have gotten hurt at some point and Shrader would of still had to play or that Shrader would have potentially beat him out anyway?

Key never did anything IMO that suggests that he was going to be a stud. He racked up some stats against poor competition. Scored on a terrible Sirmon defense in a bowl game and had a deer in the headlights look against ATM last year.

That being said, I hope Key goes on to have a nice career at his next stop as he seems like a good kid and good athlete.

I think people are making a big assumption about KT being better - we simply don't know. There were a number of people on this board who believed that Mullen made a big mistake going with Fitz, and that either Williams or Staley were a better option.

I'm just saying, Joe is the one who made sure everyone believed KT wasn't good enough. Why anyone is trusting his judgement anymore is beyond me. KT will leave here without a true shot to prove it. Injuries or not, Tommy has been bad against teams with a pulse and the Arkansas game does not validate Joe's decision all the sudden. Also not buying Shrader better than KT this year. I like Shrader, but if we are being honest he's been largely ineffective this year and really could have used a redshirt year. Again hindsight, but all that to say we could be at least 4-5 with a potentially improving KT with another year to play and a redshirt freshman ready to step in if he can't get it done. Instead we are 4-5 with a likely mess of a QB room after the season. Joe the "guru" gambled on himself and it didn't work out. What a shocker.