PDA

View Full Version : Possible bowl scenarios for MSU

Tbonewannabe
11-07-2019, 10:36 AM
So just taking a stab at possible bowl locations if we don't shit the bed against UM. I have projected some of the records so upsets could affect what teams go where.

So first off we have at least one team from the SEC in the Playoff then several others in the "BCS" level bowls. I am going to just take a stab at it.

Bama - Playoff or BCS level
LSU - Playoff or BCS level
UGA (11-2 or 12-1) - BCS level - could back into Playoff by winning SEC over LSU/Bama
UF (10-2)- BCS level

AU (8-4) - Citrus

A&M (7-5) - Outback
UT (7-5)- Gator
UK (7-5)- Belk Bowl - UK was in Music City 2 years ago and has never been to the Belk bowl
MSU (6-6) - Music City
Mizzou (6-6) - If eligible Texas or Liberty

Not going bowling
South Carolina
Vandy
UM
Ark

This could be a good ending to a shit year. If you told me that we would go to the Music City, Belk, Texas, or Liberty bowl then I would have said that my expectations were met. Unfortunately, we are more backing into a better bowl than we deserve due to 4 teams staying at home.

R2Dawg
11-07-2019, 12:33 PM
So just taking a stab at possible bowl locations if we don't shit the bed against UM. I have projected some of the records so upsets could affect what teams go where.

So first off we have at least one team from the SEC in the Playoff then several others in the "BCS" level bowls. I am going to just take a stab at it.

UGA (11-2 or 12-1) - BCS level - could back into Playoff by winning SEC over LSU/Bama
UF (10-2)- BCS level

AU (8-4) - Citrus

A&M (7-5) - Outback
UT (7-5)- Gator
UK (7-5)- Belk Bowl - UK was in Music City 2 years ago and has never been to the Belk bowl
MSU (6-6) - Music City

Not going bowling
South Carolina
Vandy
UM
Ark

This could be a good ending to a shit year. If you told me that we would go to the Music City, Belk, Texas, or Liberty bowl then I would have said that my expectations were met. Unfortunately, we are more backing into a better bowl than we deserve due to 4 teams staying at home.

I can't even think about bowl games until I see us look decent for 2-3 weeks. I can't see us coming out flat in Egg bowl with so much to play for. Egg bowl at home, playing for bowl (do you want to be the class that ended the bowl streak?), and we'll have some players making their case for the NFL. Autry and Gay are huge against Olemiss stopping the run. Without both, we'd have little chance but to outscore them. Our OL has to come to play that night too.

Still some swing games in above schedule. UT and UK can't both be 7-5 since they play each other. UK could be sitting at home - UT, Vandy Louisv not an easy stretch for them.

DogsofAnarchy
11-07-2019, 01:21 PM
We aren’t going to a bowl game.

Tbonewannabe
11-07-2019, 01:25 PM
I can't even think about bowl games until I see us look decent for 2-3 weeks. I can't see us coming out flat in Egg bowl with so much to play for. Egg bowl at home, playing for bowl (do you want to be the class that ended the bowl streak?), and we'll have some players making their case for the NFL. Autry and Gay are huge against Olemiss stopping the run. Without both, we'd have little chance but to outscore them. Our OL has to come to play that night too.

Still some swing games in above schedule. UT and UK can't both be 7-5 since they play each other. UK could be sitting at home - UT, Vandy Louisv not an easy stretch for them.

UT winning out and UK wins Vandy, UT Martin, and Louisville. I tried to look at likely scenarios and I think UT might beat UK, Vandy, and Mizzou.

At the end of the day, there is going to be a lack of teams that pushes us up to a higher bowl than we probably deserve.

Tbonewannabe
11-07-2019, 01:25 PM
We aren’t going to a bowl game.

Ok Mr. Sunshine.

Cooterpoot
11-07-2019, 01:28 PM
Liberty at best.

MagicDawg
11-07-2019, 01:39 PM
If we make it to a bowl I will breathe a huge sigh of relief for the streak, hope for us to win the game, then go back to lack of confidence about Joe until we at least see an OC and a S&C change.

At the moment, I still think the odds favor us going 5-7 unless there is a massive change in energy on the field. Arkansas might have been the spark -- we'll see. But we will lose to OM if we play as soft as we have against multiple unimpressive teams that beat us this year.

TrapGame
11-07-2019, 01:56 PM
Popeye's needs a bowl game somewhere in Louisiana. I ain't kidding.

Tbonewannabe
11-07-2019, 02:00 PM
Liberty at best.

So you think that Texas, Music City, and/or Belk just don't have a SEC team so we go to the Liberty? I will say that Liberty apparently upped their payout to get into that group of Bowls but more than likely there will be SEC bowl tie ins that don't have a team.

Maroonthirteen
11-07-2019, 02:16 PM

If Popeyes had a bowl game, concessions would run out of chicken sandwiches before the end of quarter 1. The workers would be fighting.

Jack Lambert
11-07-2019, 02:17 PM
I saw one prediction of Liberty facing KSU. I wonder how that would turn out with a full roster.

Tbonewannabe
11-07-2019, 02:20 PM
I saw one prediction of Liberty facing KSU. I wonder how that would turn out with a full roster.

I saw that but I doubt they have a rematch although it is possible. I think the SEC just has too many open bowl slots to do it. As is unless Mizzou gets eligible, the SEC is going to have several open slots due to lack of teams.

Maroonthirteen
11-07-2019, 02:22 PM

You take what you can get.... but that would be one boring matchup. Since it has already taken place.

Selfishly I’d like the liberty vs anyone else or Texas bowl.

Tbonewannabe
11-07-2019, 02:28 PM
You take what you can get.... but that would be one boring matchup. Since it has already taken place.

Selfishly I’d like the liberty vs anyone else or Texas bowl.

Selfish for me would be either the Liberty Bowl (we can stay with my friends and hang out), Music City (not a bad drive from Atlanta and I always love Nashville), or Belk (not a bad drive from Atlanta and Charlotte is cool).

I wouldn't mind the Texas Bowl but I might not be able to make it with the flights. The only game I probably wouldn't go to is the Gator Bowl but who knows.

MD2020
11-07-2019, 03:22 PM
The only bowl game we're going to is the Egg.

Maroonthirteen
11-07-2019, 03:31 PM
The only bowl game we're going to is the Egg.

That may or may not be true. But State will bring some extra effort for the egg bowl. You can bet that. I’m sure Luke will have his squad fired up but I’m not buying the OM hype. They are very beatable.

Ari Gold
11-07-2019, 03:59 PM
That may or may not be true. But State will bring some extra effort for the egg bowl. You can bet that. I’m sure Luke will have his squad fired up but I’m not buying the OM hype. They are very beatable.

OM has won 3 ****ing games!!!
If any State fan is hyping that team, then OM fans are right about you .. you are obsessed

Jack Lambert
11-07-2019, 04:18 PM
If any State fan is hyping that team, then OM fans are right about you .. you are obsessed

There are State fans who are so Anti Moorhead they just say anything at this point. Ole Miss is still Ole Miss. Once LSU puts the beat down on them and they know they can't go to a bowl they will check out. Come Thanksgiving if they only have 4 wins nothing Luke can say that will get them fired up especially with the game being on the road. They will be ready to go home for the holiday weekend.

MStateDawg
11-07-2019, 04:34 PM

Popeye's headquarters are in Miami Florida.
They are a subsidiary or Restaurant Brands International which is headquartered in Toronto, Canada.

TrapGame
11-07-2019, 04:43 PM
They are a subsidiary or Restaurant Brands International which is headquartered in Toronto, Canada.

Okay then, Zatarains needs a bowl in Louisiana.

Bubb Rubb
11-07-2019, 05:04 PM

Shit, we've only won four. I don't think they're very good, but neither are we.

Jack Lambert
11-07-2019, 05:08 PM

I was in NO about five years ago and they were filming a commercial for popeyes I said I would like to see the lady but they said that it was being filmed for Mexico and they didn't use a lady they used a man for the advertising. I never saw him so I don't know if it was true or not.

Tbonewannabe
11-07-2019, 05:12 PM

Our four wins are better than their 3. We have beaten 3 probable bowl teams and Arkansas. Their best win is Southeast Louisana who might make a bowl, maybe. I will say that they have been competitive in all of their games whereas we have not.

MagicDawg
11-07-2019, 05:15 PM
... they have been competitive in all of their games whereas we have not.

This is the core issue. It's not "hyping OM" to observe that this, a function of preparation and effort, is a concern.

Tbonewannabe
11-07-2019, 05:17 PM
This is the core issue. It's not "hyping OM" to observe that this, a function of preparation and effort, is a concern.

Yep, this has all the makings of a one-sided blowout and it could go either way. I don't feel confident at all. That is all on Moorhead because the team we had returning should kick their teeth in. No players suspended for that game either.

Ari Gold
11-07-2019, 05:22 PM

And who is hyping us up . No one . And they shouldn’t be

Johnson85
11-07-2019, 05:43 PM
And who is hyping us up . No one . And they shouldn’t be

I don't think anybody is hyping Ole Miss up either.

But they've really played hard all season. They lost to a pretty bad Cal team by a touchdown. Lost to an 8-1 Memphis team (whatever that record is worth). They beat an Arkansas team that had not given up yet. They beat southeast. Got killed by Bama but at least scored. Beat a bad Vandy team. Lost to a decent at home/terrible on the road Missouri team by 11 at Missouri. Lost to A&M by 7 in a competitive game. Lost to Auburn by 6 in a competitive game. Nothing too embarrassing and at least competitive against really eveyrbody but Bama.

Our wins are just as (un)impressive, but we haven't shown up in 2 of our losses and weren't competitive in another two, although we at least played hard for a little while.

People guaranteeing a loss are going overboard, but I get the pessimism. We should win if we show up to play, but there's somewhere around a 1 in 4 chance we won't do that based on the year so far, and then there's the chance that we show up and play but just have some bad turnovers or other bad luck that puts us in a hole we can't get out of.

Todd4State
11-07-2019, 05:46 PM
Did someone really just talk up a win over Southeastern Louisiana?

MagicDawg
11-07-2019, 06:31 PM
Did someone really just talk up a win over Southeastern Louisiana?

To be fair, only you capitalized it. :D

Todd4State
11-07-2019, 06:37 PM
To be fair, only you capitalized it. :D

True.

lastmajordog
11-07-2019, 06:47 PM
delete

R2Dawg
11-07-2019, 07:36 PM
UT winning out and UK wins Vandy, UT Martin, and Louisville. I tried to look at likely scenarios and I think UT might beat UK, Vandy, and Mizzou.

At the end of the day, there is going to be a lack of teams that pushes us up to a higher bowl than we probably deserve.

Maybe I looked at the schedules wrong but the quick glance I did, looked like either UK or UT could be 6-6 and 7-5 due to game against each other. Maybe I missed their W-L record somewhere?

If we get to 6 wins it will be an accomplishment considering the disaster of this year.

msudawg1200
11-07-2019, 07:38 PM
There are State fans who are so Anti Moorhead they just say anything at this point. Ole Miss is still Ole Miss. Once LSU puts the beat down on them and they know they can't go to a bowl they will check out. Come Thanksgiving if they only have 4 wins nothing Luke can say that will get them fired up especially with the game being on the road. They will be ready to go home for the holiday weekend.

I agree. I?m Anti-Moorhead myself, but Ole Miss ain?t worth two shites. We might not be either, but at full strength and at home I like our chances.

SylvesterCream
11-07-2019, 07:56 PM

UF (10-2)- BCS level

AU (8-4) - Citrus

A&M (7-5) - Outback
UT (7-5)- Gator
MSU (6-6) - Music City

Not going bowling
South Carolina
Vandy
UM
Ark

The BourbonBowl is a pretty good fit for us. I think that we would have a pretty solid chance of making it this year. The South Central Louisiana State University Mud Dogs could give us a pretty rough go round as Bobby Boucher is a clear front runner for the Butkus Award.

Goldendawg
11-07-2019, 08:08 PM
You guys are forgetting "the Toilet Bowl" and that is what we will deserve this year after another under achieving year under JoMo if we lose to UM. 2018-turning a 10 win team into 8-5 and 2019- turning an 8 win team into 5 or 6. BTW, if we do beat UM, just tell me who our most impressive win is for the year?

Todd4State
11-07-2019, 08:10 PM
You guys are forgetting "the Toilet Bowl" and that is what we will deserve this year after another under achieving year under JoMo if we lose to UM. 2018-turning a 10 win team into 8-5 and 2019- turning an 8 win team into 5 or 6. BTW, if we do beat UM, just tell me who our most impressive win is for the year?

Probably Kentucky. To be honest. USM and ULL are both bowl teams at worst and both have a decent chance at their conference championship.

Goldendawg
11-07-2019, 08:19 PM
Probably Kentucky. To be honest. USM and ULL are both bowl teams at worst and both have a decent chance at their conference championship.

I posted before the year started that 6-6 was a totally unacceptable finish and any coach should be better at than that with our talent and schedule. I pointed out that would be 4 OOC wins and just who would we beat to go 2-6, pitiful, in the SEC?. My son and I stood outside DWS with 6 of our 8 really good season tickets that I couldn't even give away as they were selling for $5 outside, (6 of our family members had no desire to go that early in the season). I am very bitter about last year and this year which is not even over! Hail State but not JOMO.

Todd4State
11-07-2019, 08:58 PM
I posted before the year started that 6-6 was a totally unacceptable finish and any coach should be better at than that with our talent and schedule. I pointed out that would be 4 OOC wins and just who would we beat to go 2-6, pitiful, in the SEC?. My son and I stood outside DWS with 6 of our 8 really good season tickets that I couldn't even give away as they were selling for $5 outside, (6 of our family members had no desire to go that early in the season). I am very bitter about last year and this year which is not even over! Hail State but not JOMO.

No one is happy. We all get why and it’s reasonable. If Moorhead comes back he will have to start delivering. There won’t be a tutor gate next year. Hopefully there will be a healthy QB. If not I can’t see him coming back for 2021. I’m not 100% sure he’ll be back for 2020.

timotheus
11-08-2019, 06:59 AM
I'm with you Todd. Assuming that we do get 6 wins this year and go bowling, the only way we can determine if Joe is even near a positive is for him to win a minimum 7 or 8 games next year and even then out losses need to be more competitive. I still doubt he can repair the damage that he has done here but who knows?

MedDawg
11-08-2019, 08:36 AM
I posted before the year started that 6-6 was a totally unacceptable finish and any coach should be better at than that with our talent and schedule. I pointed out that would be 4 OOC wins and just who would we beat to go 2-6, pitiful, in the SEC?.

Talent ended up minus 10 players and the schedule is the toughest since 2009.

Right now State's SOS is #6. Last season our SOS was #11, again, the toughest since 2009. For reference, State's SOS in 2016 was #55 and #46 in 2017.

Before Mullen left many posters expected a down year in 2019, 6-6 or 7-5, because we were losing so many good players from 2018.

Tbonewannabe
11-08-2019, 08:53 AM

Right now State's SOS is #6. Last season our SOS was #11, again, the toughest since 2009. For reference, State's SOS in 2016 was #55 and #46 in 2017.

Before Mullen left many posters expected a down year in 2019, 6-6 or 7-5, because we were losing so many good players from 2018.

I am not sure I understand how this season's schedule is tougher. UK went from 10 wins to at most 7-8, we traded a 10 win UF team for at most 7 wins UT, A&M isn't as good this year, AU is probably about the same, Bama is the same, I guess LSU is a little better, and we added KSU who is better.

So is KSU being improved the biggest reason?

Maroonthirteen
11-08-2019, 10:46 AM

I assume that?s the collective ?you?.... or am I famous over there?

I was referring more to ..... Bo Bounds rubbing one out everyday to OMs defensive coordinator and Plumlee. ...and some of the State fans that are predicting us to not get 6 wins.... I guess because OM
Played Auburn close??? I don?t know.

We will be a totally different team on Nov 28 than we were in Auburn or College Station.

Jack Lambert
11-08-2019, 10:52 AM
I assume that?s the collective ?you?.... or am I famous over there?

I was referring more to ..... Bo Bounds rubbing one out everyday to OMs defensive coordinator and Plumlee. ...and some of the State fans that are predicting us to not get 6 wins.... I guess because OM
Played Auburn close??? I don?t know.

We will be a totally different team on Nov 28 than we were in Auburn or College Station.

If we are the same team with out the turn overs we were in College Station we will beat Ole Miss. Ole miss isn't as good as A&M.

99jc
11-08-2019, 11:00 AM
Why dont you all give dumbass a reach around while you are slobbering over this shit team he has assembled! that 17er needs to pack his bags and take his change our culture back to happy valley.

Jarius
11-08-2019, 11:14 AM

This is just not true. Luke had them ready to break our team's ankles in 2017 and they had absolutely zero to play for besides the EB. They are not very good at all, but neither are we. We will win the game if both teams play to the best of their abilities but I have zero confidence that we will actually play to those abilities and I am 100 % sure that OM will play hard.

Jack Lambert
11-08-2019, 12:02 PM
This is just not true. Luke had them ready to break our team's ankles in 2017 and they had absolutely zero to play for besides the EB. They are not very good at all, but neither are we. We will win the game if both teams play to the best of their abilities but I have zero confidence that we will actually play to those abilities and I am 100 % sure that OM will play hard.

That 2017 team had a bunch of rented mules trying to get to the NFL. This Ole Miss is a different group.

Jarius
11-08-2019, 12:41 PM
That 2017 team had a bunch of rented mules trying to get to the NFL. This Ole Miss is a different group.

That has zero to do with what you said. We are also a much worse team than we were in 2017 so that equals out. We should win the game but I have zero trust in this coaching staff. Matt Luke will never not be able to get his team up for the Egg Bowl. It is the only reason they hired his goofy ass.

MD2020
11-08-2019, 01:54 PM
That has zero to do with what you said. We are also a much worse team than we were in 2017 so that equals out. We should win the game but I have zero trust in this coaching staff. Matt Luke will never not be able to get his team up for the Egg Bowl. It is the only reason they hired his goofy ass.

Truth

TrapGame
11-08-2019, 01:58 PM

Yea, I'm gonna have to agree with this. If Tommy starts the Egg that defense will try to break him in half.

Dawgtini
11-08-2019, 04:22 PM

Nice work. +1

BB30
11-08-2019, 04:24 PM
If we make it to a bowl I will breathe a huge sigh of relief for the streak, hope for us to win the game, then go back to lack of confidence about Joe until we at least see an OC and a S&C change.

At the moment, I still think the odds favor us going 5-7 unless there is a massive change in energy on the field. Arkansas might have been the spark -- we'll see. But we will lose to OM if we play as soft as we have against multiple unimpressive teams that beat us this year.

OM blows too. I don't know where people are getting that they actually have a pulse. They can't complete a forward pass and their defense is pretty bad. Aubie put up a ton of yards against them just couldn't find the end zone. They have looked pretty soft at times as well. They have also looked very undisciplined at times just as State has.

Anyone using the Auburn game as a measuring stick apparently didn't watch them play Arkansas.

Being that they are one dimensional I honestly think we win by a couple of scores. We will be fine against the run with Willie and everyone playing in that game. Don't think they will be able to score enough to beat us and our O has been serviceable against average defenses.

TrapGame
11-08-2019, 04:55 PM
OM blows too. I don't know where people are getting that they actually have a pulse. They can't complete a forward pass and their defense is pretty bad. Aubie put up a ton of yards against them just couldn't find the end zone. They have looked pretty soft at times as well. They have also looked very undisciplined at times just as State has.

Anyone using the Auburn game as a measuring stick apparently didn't watch them play Arkansas.

Being that they are one dimensional I honestly think we win by a couple of scores. We will be fine against the run with Willie and everyone playing in that game. Don't think they will be able to score enough to beat us and our O has been serviceable against average defenses.

If Tommy starts this game it will be a huge advantage for us. His passing is light years ahead of both OM QBs. I expect the same old cheap shot bullshit from their defense. But I got a strong feeling if they hurt Tommy that O line is gonna go ape shit on them.

Todd4State
11-08-2019, 06:41 PM
If Tommy starts this game it will be a huge advantage for us. His passing is light years ahead of both OM QBs. I expect the same old cheap shot bullshit from their defense. But I got a strong feeling if they hurt Tommy that O line is gonna go ape shit on them.

Ole Miss is currently last in the SEC in pass defense. We need to keep Tommy healthy if at all possible.

Goldendawg
11-08-2019, 08:37 PM

#6 SOS, huh? So you are saying Jo and company shouldn't have beaten TN who was a dumpster fire at the time and KSU who beat us at home. Have you checked their recruiting rankings the last couple of years? Take a look at where they are even this year compared to us. Guess all those corn-fed white boys from the mid-west are just better than our guys and they also out-coached us. So to me that should have been two more W's, count the powerhouse AC in a couple of weeks and that would have been 7. Now, I for one "hope" that another "powerhouse" team on the schedule UM will be 8. SOS in this case this year and last should me "Save Our Seasons" from SLOMOJO. Some of you seem to have set the bar pretty low if you have excuses for him to be ok at 6-6 and we better be more fired up than UM or it will end up 5-7. Hail State!

Goldendawg
11-08-2019, 08:43 PM

We better come out focused and not chippy or Plumlee and their backs will embarrass. Many years, maybe Mullen's fault, they have wanted the Egg more than us it seemed. Sad to need a w from AC and them to reach 6-6.

Goldendawg
11-08-2019, 08:45 PM
Yea, I'm gonna have to agree with this. If Tommy starts the Egg that defense will try to break him in half.

Not try. They will do it in the first quarter.

Todd4State
11-08-2019, 09:20 PM
#6 SOS, huh? So you are saying Jo and company shouldn't have beaten TN who was a dumpster fire at the time and KSU who beat us at home. Have you checked their recruiting rankings the last couple of years? Take a look at where they are even this year compared to us. Guess all those corn-fed white boys from the mid-west are just better than our guys and they also out-coached us. So to me that should have been two more W's, count the powerhouse AC in a couple of weeks and that would have been 7. Now, I for one "hope" that another "powerhouse" team on the schedule UM will be 8. SOS in this case this year and last should me "Save Our Seasons" from SLOMOJO. Some of you seem to have set the bar pretty low if you have excuses for him to be ok at 6-6 and we better be more fired up than UM or it will end up 5-7. Hail State!

To be fair- K-State also beat Oklahoma and looks like they are a top 25 team right now. Tennessee is Joe's worst loss- and they're probably a bowl team themselves. That's not excusing any losses- but Joe hasn't lost to a South Alabama type team yet. Every team we have lost to this year and last has been a top 16 in the CFB playoff poll team minus Tennessee and Iowa.

So there is something to the SOS thing. We need to learn how to beat a top 15 team. That's been an issue ever since Jackie left and we beat #3 Florida in 2000. We haven't beaten anyone ranked in the top 10 since we did it three weeks in a row in 2014.

lastmajordog
11-08-2019, 10:16 PM
delete