PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Potential Off-Season FB Staff Changes

HailStateSZN19
11-06-2019, 04:30 PM
There have been several threads over the last week or 2 talking theoretically about who we should go after if Moorhead were to get fired or take another job on his own. Well, it sounds like barring a huge blowout to OM on EB night, JoMo ain't going anywhere but it does sound like there could be & should be some staff changes potentially made & maybe some are highly encouraged to happen from Cohen/Keenum/Boosters (idk, idk how that kind of plays out as far as making demands/suggestions of staff changes to the HC). So since it appears Joe will be back next year, I haven't seen a thread started (& maybe I missed it if there has been) talking about any potential staff changes or what you would like to see happen with the current position coaches. Just wanted to see who y'all would like to see retained/cut loose, any additions to the staff, maybe add an OC & who you'd like to see us go after, etc. etc. and stuff like that.

TheLostDawg
11-06-2019, 04:49 PM
If this is the official thread someone should be in charge of getting this to Cohen so he won't waste money paying another hiring consultant that makes a list of a bunch of available coaches with no real thought of fitting what we have.

TheLostDawg
11-06-2019, 04:52 PM
To answer your question, S&C coach+ ST coach + QB coach. Let those coaches go, maybe ol depending on how the end of the season goes. Get a good QB coach. Hire Joe Brady at TE coach and move Hughes to ST. Ask our last S&C coach for a list of top names.
That's a summary of some things I've heard and like

HailStateSZN19
11-06-2019, 05:16 PM
To answer your question, S&C coach+ ST coach + QB coach. Let those coaches go, maybe ol depending on how the end of the season goes. Get a good QB coach. Hire Joe Brady at TE coach and move Hughes to ST. Ask our last S&C coach for a list of top names.

I agree with your list of where to make changes at. S&C and ST are the absolute obvious ones. I would agree on QB Coach but isn't Breiner one of Joe's guys? Doubt he's getting rid of him although I'm just not sure what he brings to the table honestly. It's weird, he's like the least talked about assistant on staff. If Joe were to be encouraged to and be up for delegating OC duties on game day (really hope he does but I'm not sold he'd agree to that), I'd offer Brady the OC title and a huge raise and make LSU name him their OC/Co-OC to keep him and force Orgeron's hand because that'd mean he'd have to get rid of his buddy Ensminger more than likely to move Brady up & give him a raise. Doubt it'd wind up working out for us but at least make the call and force their hand. I'd be interested in seeing other names that would potentially work for an OC because I just don't see any way LSU lets Brady go after this year.

StarkVegasSteve
11-06-2019, 05:28 PM
I agree with your list of where to make changes at. S&C and ST are the absolute obvious ones. I would agree on QB Coach but isn't Breiner one of Joe's guys? Doubt he's getting rid of him although I'm just not sure what he brings to the table honestly. It's weird, he's like the least talked about assistant on staff. If Joe were to be encouraged to and be up for delegating OC duties on game day (really hope he does but I'm not sold he'd agree to that), I'd offer Brady the OC title and a huge raise and make LSU name him their OC/Co-OC to keep him and force Orgeron's hand because that'd mean he'd have to get rid of his buddy Ensminger more than likely to move Brady up & give him a raise. Doubt it'd wind up working out for us but at least make the call and force their hand. I'd be interested in seeing other names that would potentially work for an OC because I just don't see any way LSU lets Brady go after this year.

Agree. You have to make the call to Joe Brady. Although it's a longshot you have to take the chance. Worst case, LSU gives him a huge raise and we move on to Will Hall, Kendall Briles, Brian Johnson, Brett Elliott, etc. And I don't know if any of those guys are even interested. Hell maybe you go get Bob Stitt or give Major Applewhite a call.

First things first you have to overhaul the strength program. The first call you need to make is to Aaron Feld and offer him a ton of money to come back home. And if that doesn't work you need to call Nick Savage, Anthony Piroli, or Matt Balis and see who they'd recommend. In my lifetime those have been our 3 best strength coaches with Balis still being my favorite.

Next we need to get a legit ST coach. I don't know how many of those are even around, but we need to find one.

Todd4State
11-06-2019, 05:55 PM
Here’s what I would like to see.

New S&C guy.

QB- Breiner
RB- Richardson
WR- Johnson
OC/TE- Joe Brady
OL- Johnson

DL- Adams
LB- Hughes
CB- Buckley
DC/S- Shoop

ST- ST coach from Memphis.

HailStateSZN19
11-06-2019, 06:15 PM
Here’s what I would like to see.

New S&C guy.

QB- Breiner
RB- Richardson
WR- Johnson
OC/TE- Joe Brady
OL- Johnson

DL- Adams
LB- Hughes
CB- Buckley
DC/S- Shoop

I like this list. I did watch the Memphis-SMU game and think "well why don't we just go after Memphis' ST guy". I'd seriously throw the bank at Brady to come be our OC and give him like TE's too. Idk what even a "round about" number is we could throw at him, but he makes 400k right now and gotta think you'd have to throw close to double that at him to make him think about it and to make a somewhat competitive offer to LSU. I just think LSU would match it and maybe then some but crap, throw some $$ at him and make him entertain the idea. Idk how much it'd help but got to think him working under Joe previously might help some at all. Maybe a really good offer + the OC title + his previous relationship with Joe could make it interesting.

Lord McBuckethead
11-06-2019, 08:09 PM
Throw 1.75 million at him. Hell throw 2 million at him. It's just money.

lastmajordog
11-06-2019, 08:20 PM
I don’t know about now, but Brad Peterson was the most incredible HS Qb and offensive coach I’ve ever seen and in every place he’s been.....

Cowbell
11-06-2019, 11:20 PM
The fact that we have so many assistants that need replaced tells me the assistants aren’t the big issue.

Todd4State
11-06-2019, 11:28 PM
I like this list. I did watch the Memphis-SMU game and think "well why don't we just go after Memphis' ST guy". I'd seriously throw the bank at Brady to come be our OC and give him like TE's too. Idk what even a "round about" number is we could throw at him, but he makes 400k right now and gotta think you'd have to throw close to double that at him to make him think about it and to make a somewhat competitive offer to LSU. I just think LSU would match it and maybe then some but crap, throw some $$ at him and make him entertain the idea. Idk how much it'd help but got to think him working under Joe previously might help some at all. Maybe a really good offer + the OC title + his previous relationship with Joe could make it interesting.

The thing is even though LSU could "outbid" us if they wanted to there would be a lot of collateral damage to keep him because they would also have to give their OC and head coach a big raise. They also can't offer the upward mobility that we could which is big because I'm sure Brady wants to be more than a TE coach at LSU. Especially if he is the one that is a lot of the reason why they are successful. I can't see Orgeron promoting Brady over Ensminger who he basically hand picked and gets along with really well.

I don’t know about now, but Brad Peterson was the most incredible HS Qb and offensive coach I’ve ever seen and in every place he’s been.....

If we give him an on the field position I would do like LSU with Brady and start him out as a position coach with input into the offense.

The fact that we have so many assistants that need replaced tells me the assistants aren’t the big issue.

"Many"? Essentially we're talking about Jones, another assistant mainly to add Brady to the mix and a S&C guy. That's far less turnover than many years under stable coaches at MSU some years. And a lot less than last year for sure.

Homedawg
11-06-2019, 11:33 PM

Hire joe Brady?? We couldn't hire hime fiber of being head coach so next

Homedawg
11-06-2019, 11:35 PM
Here?s what I would like to see.

New S&C guy.

QB- Breiner
RB- Richardson
WR- Johnson
OC/TE- Joe Brady
OL- Johnson

DL- Adams
LB- Hughes
CB- Buckley
DC/S- Shoop

Is this a Santa Claus wish list? Joe Brady isn't coming here. Get real. It's not even remotely possible. And Hughes coaching lb's he's never ever done that. Ever. ...

Homedawg
11-06-2019, 11:37 PM

Problem is we have some that have apparently recruited well and. It coaches well. And visa versa. .... some will catch the block, not sure what is fair....

Cowbell
11-07-2019, 12:38 AM
Problem is we have some that have apparently recruited well and. It coaches well. And visa versa. .... some will catch the block, not sure what is fair....

The fact that it took a season to play out to realize we have a S&C issue, special teams issue, oline issue, and LB coaching issue (debatable), tells me the man in charge doesnt know what he truly needs at these coaching positions.

KOdawg1
11-07-2019, 01:20 AM
I think it?s time for Brad Peterson to get a on-field coaching job. The dude would do great things.

1bigdawg
11-07-2019, 06:16 AM
Is this a Santa Claus wish list? Joe Brady isn't coming here. Get real. It's not even remotely possible. And Hughes coaching lb's he's never ever done that. Ever. ...

Hughes Coached LBs at La Tech in the early 2000s. Did a good enough job the Ole Miss hired him - although to coach secondary.

I like Hughes and believe he would be an upgrade at LB coach, certainly in recruiting where we seem to be striking out with guys. I agree on Brady.

1bigdawg
11-07-2019, 06:20 AM
Joe needs help with the offensive gameplan. That shows up in how you start the game and we have really started slow on offense.

He is trying to manage the program, spend a lot of time recruiting and doing the offensive game planning. It is too much at least at this point. Consider Malzahn at Auburn. He does offensive game planning and manges the program, but has hired top recruiters so he does not have to spend as much time there. Even with that and the advantages that UAub has, it is still controversial with their fan base that he calls plays/manges the offense.

timotheus
11-07-2019, 07:58 AM
Whoever is in charge of forcing Joe to drop assistants etc should tread lightly. I'm not convinced that he won't revert back and bring in another intellectual type to coach ST as well as SC. My point in saying this is that one should be careful due to the fact that we could actually end up worse in the same boat but with new coaches. I am not convinced that anyone that some of us on this board would approve of will even come and coach under Joe. Just something to ponder.

HailStateSZN19
11-07-2019, 09:12 AM
Joe needs help with the offensive gameplan. That shows up in how you start the game and we have really started slow on offense.

He is trying to manage the program, spend a lot of time recruiting and doing the offensive game planning. It is too much at least at this point. Consider Malzahn at Auburn. He does offensive game planning and manges the program, but has hired top recruiters so he does not have to spend as much time there. Even with that and the advantages that UAub has, it is still controversial with their fan base that he calls plays/manges the offense.

I, along with a large portion of us on here (I think), agree with the idea that he needs to bring in someone to help and take over the play calling on game days. Frees him up to do more of the things he needs to do as an SEC HC because what he's doing now ain't working and hopefully he realizes that and will be up for making some serious changes. But my gut just tells me he honestly thinks what he's doing now is working and will refuse to bring in someone to be the OC and call plays on game days. Just the way he speaks in his press conferences, he's adamant we're headed in the right direction and loves what we're doing right now and that makes me think he may end up making zero changes that really need to be made.

TheLostDawg
11-07-2019, 09:54 AM
Whoever is in charge of forcing Joe to drop assistants etc should tread lightly. I'm not convinced that he won't revert back and bring in another intellectual type to coach ST as well as SC. My point in saying this is that one should be careful due to the fact that we could actually end up worse in the same boat but with new coaches. I am not convinced that anyone that some of us on this board would approve of will even come and coach under Joe. Just something to ponder.

Yes that is a possibility considering they are risking the possiblity of having to look for another job next year. We'd have to get someone like Brady that has somewhat hit a ceiling of getting promoted somewhere and is confident they know Joe's system and could upgrade it. That way in the chance Joe gets pushed out, that person has the opportunity of getting that same job somewhere else or even stay at the program (and possibly get promoted even more).

TheLostDawg
11-07-2019, 09:57 AM
I, along with a large portion of us on here (I think), agree with the idea that he needs to bring in someone to help and take over the play calling on game days. Frees him up to do more of the things he needs to do as an SEC HC because what he's doing now ain't working and hopefully he realizes that and will be up for making some serious changes. But my gut just tells me he honestly thinks what he's doing now is working and will refuse to bring in someone to be the OC and call plays on game days. Just the way he speaks in his press conferences, he's adamant we're headed in the right direction and loves what we're doing right now and that makes me think he may end up making zero changes that really need to be made.

Yes but if he stays, you have to think his family might push for a change to lighten his burden. They obviously have gone through a lot this year. That along with the boosters, this might get done.

Cooterpoot
11-07-2019, 09:59 AM
ST and S&C will probably be all we change unless we lose the QB coach for an OC/QB coach. Now, don’t be surprised if a couple leave too, but that’s probably about it. I can see Jo pushing out his boy Breiner and giving up play calling to an OC, but we’ll see. And who could we get with a coach on the hot seat? Unless it’s an OM type deal where they’ll be fighting for the HC job possibly.

Cooterpoot
11-07-2019, 10:00 AM

I laughed. We can’t get worse. Especially at the ST and SC coach spots.

HailStateSZN19
11-07-2019, 10:48 AM
ST and S&C will probably be all we change unless we lose the QB coach for an OC/QB coach. Now, don’t be surprised if a couple leave too, but that’s probably about it. I can see Jo pushing out his boy Breiner and giving up play calling to an OC, but we’ll see. And who could we get with a coach on the hot seat? Unless it’s an OM type deal where they’ll be fighting for the HC job possibly.

Not gonna press but are there any hints or clues you could give on who you think might leave on their own? Might not be able to answer that but just thought I'd ask. And although it'd be disappointing for ST and S&C to be the only changes, that won't surprise me. It'd be highly encouraging if he'd delegate play calling and hire a damn OC to handle that on game days but he's too damn stubborn to do that probably.

Todd4State
11-07-2019, 10:53 AM

Po Missussippi State**

TheLostDawg
11-07-2019, 01:36 PM
Not gonna press but are there any hints or clues you could give on who you think might leave on their own? Might not be able to answer that but just thought I'd ask. And although it'd be disappointing for ST and S&C to be the only changes, that won't surprise me. It'd be highly encouraging if he'd delegate play calling and hire a damn OC to handle that on game days but he's too damn stubborn to do that probably.

It's not as easy to just hire an OC to come. We've named a lot of reasons but you also have to think about why we got Moorhead. For that reason he has to find someone that knows his system. For that reason if it isn't Joe Brady, Breiner might be our best best choice unfortunately. That's why I feel like there is no change at the position unless we go get Brady. We'll see how much faith Moorhead has in Breiner this offseason. If Breiner is there and not calling plays, he's just there to be a part of Moorhead's country club.
Ideally we go get a good QB coach that knows Joe's system and who can recruit but I don't see Santa delivering on that. Best chance we have is getting Brady and a good QB coach. That would require some shuffling and with Joe on the hot seat I just don't think we have the leaders to make this happen.