PDA

View Full Version : Alright, Hump Attendance discussion

Lord McBuckethead
11-06-2019, 01:48 AM
Alright everyone, it is time to pack the hump. Let's all get into the habit of going to games and cheering this team on. We all have taken off for the past 6-7 years and it is time to start packing the seats and standing room. If you cannot go, please find someone that can. I will literally use any ticket available if some of you old timers have awesome seats and really do not want to go to the midweek or nonconference games. PM me and my family will use them.

Also, if you are old, take your time at the hump to get rowdy. Shit I just saw a gif of woodard's dunk and no one in the entire shot got to their feet. It was a tied game too I think. Its time to let the players know we are behind them, just like the baseball team and all the recruits know we are behind them.

bobcat91
11-06-2019, 09:54 AM
College basketball is dead. The one and done and all the transfers have killed the sport. The only way the Hump gets packed again is if we are winning big. Sorry, but all the screaming of Pack the Hump fall on deaf ears. Learn to live with 4 to 5000 fans.

KentuckyDawg13
11-06-2019, 10:15 AM
Lame.
College basketball is the only sport where smaller schools can win it all. Sure, some of the the stud freshmen go pro after a year, but the sport is alive and well. MSU fans have some sort of hang up with our team despite the fact they are going to be strong this season. Enjoy it, support it or move on.

"Learn to live with 4 to 5000 fans."
There were 6,253 in attendance last night. The first game of the year, and that's a decent crowd.

gtowndawg
11-06-2019, 10:25 AM
College basketball is dead. The one and done and all the transfers have killed the sport. The only way the Hump gets packed again is if we are winning big. Sorry, but all the screaming of Pack the Hump fall on deaf ears. Learn to live with 4 to 5000 fans.

https://media.tenor.com/images/184e76a671869b19b83326a667c6010c/tenor.gif

Homedawg
11-06-2019, 10:27 AM
Lame.
College basketball is the only sport where smaller schools can win it all. Sure, some of the the stud freshmen go pro after a year, but the sport is alive and well. MSU fans have some sort of hang up with our team despite the fact they are going to be strong this season. Enjoy it, support it or move on.

There were 6,253 in attendance last night. The first game of the year, and that's a decent crowd.

No. There weren't anywhere near that nobody was there. Some students. That's it.

Homedawg
11-06-2019, 10:28 AM
Alright everyone, it is time to pack the hump. Let's all get into the habit of going to games and cheering this team on. We all have taken off for the past 6-7 years and it is time to start packing the seats and standing room. If you cannot go, please find someone that can. I will literally use any ticket available if some of you old timers have awesome seats and really do not want to go to the midweek or nonconference games. PM me and my family will use them.

Also, if you are old, take your time at the hump to get rowdy. Shit I just saw a gif of woodard's dunk and no one in the entire shot got to their feet. It was a tied game too I think. Its time to let the players know we are behind them, just like the baseball team and all the recruits know we are behind them.

There were plenty of cheap tickets available. Did you go??

Liverpooldawg
11-06-2019, 10:30 AM
Lame.

There ain't no way there were that many actually there. That's actually pretty bad for tickets sold.

Ifyouonlyknew
11-06-2019, 10:50 AM
I was there. I say around 3500. I'm hoping for 5-6k Friday night.

WPDawg
11-06-2019, 10:54 AM

Big Donors wanting the prime seats and the re-shuffling of long time ticket holders helped kill the local attendance and televised games has sustained that. Looks like they have some new options to help get people back in and opportunities to sit lower but it will take time to re-establish. Looks like we have a great team to get everyone back on board but they might have to continue to be creative with seats to rekindle the local fire.

WeWonItAll(Most)
11-06-2019, 10:56 AM
Ok boomer

THE Bruce Dickinson
11-06-2019, 10:58 AM

Our fans find literally any excuse possible to not support the men’s basketball team. It’s honestly baffling

What exactly do you mean “Winning Again”? Last year’s team was better than every Stans team except 2, and those 2 were 17 and 15 years ago.

Unless you were regularly attending games in the 60s, this is a lame excuse.

BB30
11-06-2019, 11:02 AM

Tell KY, Aubie, OM, LSU, Arky, Tennessee, and Vandy that college basketball is dead and they shouldn't be going to games this year then. Because their gyms were packed last year and Arky/Vandy weren't very good.

Captain Falcon
11-06-2019, 11:07 AM
I’m honestly sick of the back and forth about it. This is a conversation we’ve been having ever since Howland was hired. At this point it is what it is.

trojandawg
11-06-2019, 11:19 AM
i suspect that if we keep winning these early games it will start packing out. it's a slow build back process. getting to the tournament helped last year, but laying an egg in the tournament hurt them a little. fans i've spoken to at work and around are excited about the youth and talent of this team that is back this season. I think with football being down and the play of the basketball team last year that attendance will be better this year once we start playing some bigger name opponents as long as we keep winning and performing. not many people are going to drive in on tuesday for FIU, but they will show up for saturday against Kansas State. not many people show up in the pre sec part of the season. that's the way it's always been. TV has mad that worse. When people get off at 5 or 6 they can go home an turn on the tv and watch the game rather than take off early and drive 2-4 hours for the game and turn around and go home. used to have people do that until they were pushed out with the season ticket stuff and realignment of the hump. that was also before SEC network really started playing a role in every game being on tv also. lot of those that used to drive in from jackson, memphis, birmingham, tupelo, and hattiesburg stopped coming to midweek games and some on the weekends.

Maroonthirteen
11-06-2019, 11:39 AM
The GTR has never been that interested in basketball. It’s still football season. Then Deer season.

People will show up after Christmas. Assuming we have a good team.

chef dixon
11-06-2019, 12:59 PM
When I was in school I went to pretty much every home game, was during Stans. Its not feasible now to really get to any of them honestly not being really that close at all. Non conference games were never really that packed back then either. It has to be locals/students that get invested to truly make a difference.

Lord McBuckethead
11-06-2019, 01:19 PM
There were plenty of cheap tickets available. Did you go??

Yes. I took my 6 year old and was there until her bedtime. Also note: I have been to almost every basketball game the past 3 years, women's and men's.

Lord McBuckethead
11-06-2019, 01:25 PM
All I am saying, is people need to get back into the habit of making the basketball team a priority. We do it for Baseball and Football for the most part. The basketball team will be better this year than last year. They could be close to elite, if we can give them the atmosphere. Right now, I don't see any clear cut losses on our home schedule. We could possibly have a legit shot at winning every one of them, if the team gels and plays solid team basketball.

One great thing about last night is I saw a lot of team basketball. We were a bit slow on our defensive switches, we were a split second late on some passes, but I think this team could get that figured out through some solid effort and a propensity to share the basketball.

LC Dawg
11-06-2019, 01:38 PM
I think we will have some really nice crowds once conference play starts, especially on Saturday games. I do worry that our home conference schedule may not excite casual fans. I wish we could have gotten at least one of Kentucky, Florida, or LSU at home.
I plan to attend 5 or 6 games but it is hard for me to justify season tickets since I live over 3 hours away.

Liverpooldawg
11-06-2019, 01:52 PM
The GTR has never been that interested in basketball. It’s still football season. Then Deer season.

People will show up after Christmas. Assuming we have a good team.
That's not true. There was a decent base of locals who lived within an hour away who were at nearly every game till Greg Byrne kicked them out in order to let big donors have their seats. Those big donors don't show up as much.

Dawg2003
11-06-2019, 02:19 PM
But we need the big donors money, so what do we do?

Lord McBuckethead
11-06-2019, 02:27 PM
Build a new arena, have some premium seating areas, but make sure the students have one sideline opposite the players for the full length of the court. We need the energy at the court and old people just do not bring it.
They can hire me to design it. No problem. It would be my magnum opus.

If you have an amazing atmosphere, people will come to the game and pay big money to do it.

WPDawg
11-06-2019, 03:18 PM
That's not true. There was a decent base of locals who lived within an hour away who were at nearly every game till Greg Byrne kicked them out in order to let big donors have their seats. Those big donors don't show up as much.

this is correct. 1 hour radius from all directions. Starkville, West Point, Columbus, Noxubee County, Webster County, Winston County etc.... and a lot of faculty used to go (how is the faculty attendance?) For many they had the same seats year after year next to people they knew. So it was a social meeting along with basketball game. When the re-seating took place, it changed the mojo for many. It was probably an older base and so some are now gone or older so it is harder to make games. But the administration needs the "local" support. Hopefully they can keep tweaking the plan so that the people close by (Students and Faculty included) can be presented with good lower seat opportunities. Money is king but so is having a full lower section to support the players.

PMDawg
11-06-2019, 03:24 PM
Ok boomer

The new favorite motto for people who are too dumb, lazy, or uninformed to articulate a thoughtful response.

Liverpooldawg
11-06-2019, 03:42 PM
But we need the big donors money, so what do we do?

We didn't make anymore money off of it. If they had done a basketball only thing then it might have helped.

Liverpooldawg
11-06-2019, 03:44 PM
this is correct. 1 hour radius from all directions. Starkville, West Point, Columbus, Noxubee County, Webster County, Winston County etc.... and a lot of faculty used to go (how is the faculty attendance?) For many they had the same seats year after year next to people they knew. So it was a social meeting along with basketball game. When the re-seating took place, it changed the mojo for many. It was probably an older base and so some are now gone or older so it is harder to make games. But the administration needs the "local" support. Hopefully they can keep tweaking the plan so that the people close by (Students and Faculty included) can be presented with good lower seat opportunities. Money is king but so is having a full lower section to support the players.

Yep to every bit of that.

LC Dawg
11-06-2019, 03:56 PM
Are there still plans in place to renovate the Hump? I know the plans included some premium seating but I don't remember much about it. I'm sure they will reseat when they renovate so it will be an opportunity for Cohen to make a change beneficial to the fans. I think he'll chase the money in regards to seating but maybe he'll surprise me.

MedDawg
11-06-2019, 04:49 PM
Build a new arena, have some premium seating areas, but make sure the students have one sideline opposite the players for the full length of the court. We need the energy at the court and old people just do not bring it.

If you have an amazing atmosphere, people will come to the game and pay big money to do it.

Build the Shrump!

shannondawg
11-06-2019, 06:20 PM
Don't know asking. Does Howland do anything in the way of trying to get the students there, that would be a big boost.

Reseating didn't really affect the attendance when the Hump was rocking. It might have after the Rick Ray years.

Bothrops
11-06-2019, 06:39 PM

New arena isn't happening, but a major renovation and expansion is.

shannondawg
11-06-2019, 06:57 PM
We didn't make anymore money off of it. If they had done a basketball only thing then it might have helped.

But it sure rewarded those donors with better seats, and are probably still giving.

Early on in the sat tv start, I bought a dish and HBO , Showtime what have you were free. Privately owned, commercial free, when they started charging you wouldn't believe the uproar.

Lord McBuckethead
11-06-2019, 08:23 PM
The new favorite motto for people who are too dumb, lazy, or uninformed to articulate a thoughtful response.

Hell I think it is very succinct. Old people should understand the underlining arguments without having them spelled out in a linear fashion.

Lord McBuckethead
11-06-2019, 08:34 PM
New arena isn't happening, but a major renovation and expansion is.

Yeah I know, but a man can dream.

Dawg2003
11-06-2019, 09:17 PM
Every time I watch another team play basketball on TV, their places look so nice and bright. The Hump looks so dark on TV.

WeWonItAll(Most)
11-06-2019, 09:26 PM

It's all of the above. I'm hardy capable of coherent thought.

Liverpooldawg
11-06-2019, 09:34 PM
Every time I watch another team play basketball on TV, their places look so nice and bright. The Hump looks so dark on TV.

It's not dark in person.

Liverpooldawg
11-06-2019, 09:35 PM
But it sure rewarded those donors with better seats, and are probably still giving.

Early on in the sat tv start, I bought a dish and HBO , Showtime what have you were free. Privately owned, commercial free, when they started charging you wouldn't believe the uproar.

But they aren't attending many games.

Bothrops
11-06-2019, 11:04 PM
Yeah I know, but a man can dream.

I hope it includes doing something to spiff up the outside appearance of the building. It looks like a civic auditorium from the 1960s.

Dawg2003
11-06-2019, 11:27 PM
The outside of the Hump is an eyesore. You can see it in the background of baseball games, and it's so ugly. It looks like a red brick pound cake.

shannondawg
11-07-2019, 12:40 AM
But they aren't attending many games.

Not too many others are either.

msu15
11-07-2019, 02:57 AM
Basketball games look way better when the crowd is dark, like The Staples Center for the Lakers and MSG for the Knicks. It really makes it feel like the game is a show.

Lord McBuckethead
11-07-2019, 08:56 AM
I disagree. Duke, NC, etc all look way better on tv cause their court and stands all are brighter.

Maroonthirteen
11-07-2019, 08:59 AM

I agree that Byrne reseating the Hump ran off those locals that were attending.

I stand by my statement that basketball is of
Least importance to sports fans in the GTR.

You could sell $5 general seating and not fill the place up for a midweek game in November and December.

Liverpooldawg
11-07-2019, 09:27 AM
I agree that Byrne reseating the Hump ran off those locals that were attending.

I stand by my statement that basketball is of
Least importance to sports fans in the GTR.

You could sell $5 general seating and not fill the place up for a midweek game in November and December.

They actually do that for games during Christmas Break, and no, it doesn't come close to filling up. There are actually less than there were back before Rick Ray and the reseating when they didn't discount tickets.

tcdog70
11-07-2019, 09:56 AM
re-seating ran off about 3500 local fans. We went to every game. I had 5 tickets from the day they opened the HUMP (1974) till the day they took our seats. I haven't been back. I asked how much money it would take to keep my seats? They said sorry-but it doesn't work like that. I can now just watch on tv. The HUMP was fun and a hard place to play until our Athletic Dept killed it. The days of the GREEN MACHINE and the guy riding the stick horse are just a memory. The Night they let the Riff-Raff in the who Dat game--beating Kentucky--all fun times. Hope one day we will get the HUMP back rocking.

gtowndawg
11-07-2019, 10:52 AM
Like many have said they have to figure out a way for locals (within an hour) to get good seating. People from 2 to 3 hours away are not going to drive to a midweek evening game. Not many at least. Local crowds are the only way to fill it up for midweek AND weekend games.

And I agree with another poster, let the students line one side of the court. At least there's SOME energy in the building that way.

edited: I know they have the new app that allows for lower level seats not used. I think it's a great idea. But again, only those within an hour can take advantage of that (realistically speaking).

Maroonthirteen
11-07-2019, 12:06 PM
That mobile access pass is a great idea. A good value for those that live close and can attend multiple games.

Lord McBuckethead
11-07-2019, 12:09 PM
They actually do that for games during Christmas Break, and no, it doesn't come close to filling up. There are actually less than there were back before Rick Ray and the reseating when they didn't discount tickets.

Back to everyone is out of the habit of going.

SylvesterCream
11-07-2019, 07:40 PM
Serve beer in the stadium, guarantee attendance goes up by 100 percent. UF has already made the announcement that they will be selling alcohol at their basketball games.

NCMSTFAN
11-08-2019, 10:16 AM
I've been saying this for years. I live in NC, the military brought me here in 2001. In the early 2000's when I would watch a basketball game on t.v our crowds were electric. Back when Timmy Bowers, Derrick Z, Austin, Lawrence Roberts, Frazier were playing I loved watching our games, being from Mississippi I was proud of our team and crowds. Even as recent as the Jamont Gordon days and When Dee Bost played we had really good crowds. Now when I see us its embarrassing, the crowd doesn't get really loud and too many seats are empty. This can affect recruiting, kids want to play in front of big crowds and want to play on t.v. I remember years ago when Joahkim Noah said playin at the Hump was a "different type of loud" we need to bring those days back.

NCMSTFAN
11-08-2019, 10:25 AM
Here was the quote:

Noah, Al Horford and Brewer had all named Humphrey Coliseum as the most difficult road arena they played in when they filled out questionnaires as top 50 preseason finalists for the John R. Wooden Award.

“It gets loud,” Brewer said. “I don’t know why. It’s a different kind of loud. So loud that you can’t think.”

StarkVegasSteve
11-08-2019, 04:40 PM
Here was the quote:

Noah, Al Horford and Brewer had all named Humphrey Coliseum as the most difficult road arena they played in when they filled out questionnaires as top 50 preseason finalists for the John R. Wooden Award.

“It gets loud,” Brewer said. “I don’t know why. It’s a different kind of loud. So loud that you can’t think.”

That Hump died in 2012 when we blew the lead to UK. That was the last time The Hump has been electric. Haven't heard it close to that loud since that night. AND IT WAS LOUD. The Rowdies were in full force that night. The Marketing Dept. has killed the mood just as much as anything. We've got to have some corny sponsored specialty cam at every timeout now. I've said it on here before, but the closest I've ever seen it get back to Vintage Hump noise was 2017 vs UK. We had just went on something like a 21-2 run to cut it 4, the crowd was electric, everyone was on their feet and what do they do to capitalize....17 KISS CAM. Sucked the energy out of the place.

iPat09
11-08-2019, 05:45 PM
That Hump died in 2012 when we blew the lead to UK. That was the last time The Hump has been electric. Haven't heard it close to that loud since that night. AND IT WAS LOUD. The Rowdies were in full force that night. The Marketing Dept. has killed the mood just as much as anything. We've got to have some corny sponsored specialty cam at every timeout now. I've said it on here before, but the closest I've ever seen it get back to Vintage Hump noise was 2017 vs UK. We had just went on something like a 21-2 run to cut it 4, the crowd was electric, everyone was on their feet and what do they do to capitalize....17 KISS CAM. Sucked the energy out of the place.

They have that stuff scripted out well before every game in every sport with a video board, and they're gonna follow that script to the letter dang it! Imagine being on the production side and knowing it was coming. Following game action and witnessing the emotion and drama, only to have to stop and go look for couples in the stands so they can kiss. That crap needs to go. You're right, it kills the atmosphere. Goes from a rowdy crazy feeling to a feeling of sitting at home and fun for the whole family. Knowing I might have to be on one of those promotions was part of the reason I started staying at home when I was no longer on the camera crew.

MCsMGs
11-08-2019, 06:19 PM

I was at that game... I don't even remember the kiss cam that night.