PDA

View Full Version : ill tell you why Mullen is staying

Pokerdawg44
10-28-2013, 06:36 AM
Compare Mullen's record against another msu coach in their 1st 5 seasons

When was the last time a msu coach was coming off 3 straight bowl seasons..... then starts the next season 4-3 and all 3 losses are against top 18 teams. Aub#8 Lsu#13 & OkSt#18............and half the msu fanbase wants to fire their coach?

If it wasn't for Mullen firing up our fanbase, we wouldn't be bowling in the endzone.......which there was a short time ago where I had my doubts msu would ever be able actually bowl it in

When was the last time we had back to back 1st rd picks? And gabe Jackson will be another one?

When was the last time we had a sophomore qb with this much swag and potential?

When was the last time we had this many sell outs?

Ive questioned some of *cough**cough**cough**cough**cough**cough**cough* moves but not enough to want him fired during a season were 4-3 chasing a bowl. Im not just going to give up on my team, especially a young one........ its not DMs fault that its hard to recruit to msu esp with Bracky. Its not DMs fault he compete against other SEC teams with bigger budgets andl can hirer better assts. Its not DMs fault that Msu fans can only be happy when msu is doing good and om does bad. God forbid om have any success.

Bottomline is Mullen has raised the bar and I get it.......msu fans want more but do yall even ****ing realize how far our program has come under Mullen? I sure can remember the 30k crowds getting our asses handed to us by a nonbcs team and hear Croom make excuses to why we should be patient with the 109th ranked offense. I can remember Jackie having some really bad seasons and what would of happened if we fired him after going 3-6-2 with a tie to Ark St? Mullen is still young and still learning but we have a very young team with alot of ball left and all our fanbase can talk about is hiring hud. This is a young team and next yr sets up real nice for us. Mullen is hear ATLEAST til 2014 so stop bitching bc I promise you its hurting our program and not helping.

If you want to know the REAL reason why Mullen is getting an extension then look at all the Hud supporters. Opposing schools are showing recruits our message boards and putting doubt that Mullen will be hear much longer so now msu has to sign an extension so we can assure mullen will be hear.

Rant over

Political Hack
10-28-2013, 07:05 AM
if the message board forced Strick to cement Dan's tenure here, them we're doing a good job.

hells bells
10-28-2013, 07:56 AM
Compare Mullen's record against another msu coach in their 1st 5 seasons

When was the last time a msu coach was coming off 3 straight bowl seasons..... then starts the next season 4-3 and all 3 losses are against top 18 teams. Aub#8 Lsu#13 & OkSt#18............and half the msu fanbase wants to fire their coach?

If it wasn't for Mullen firing up our fanbase, we wouldn't be bowling in the endzone.......which there was a short time ago where I had my doubts msu would ever be able actually bowl it in

When was the last time we had back to back 1st rd picks? And gabe Jackson will be another one?

When was the last time we had a sophomore qb with this much swag and potential?

When was the last time we had this many sell outs?

Ive questioned some of *cough**cough**cough**cough**cough**cough**cough* moves but not enough to want him fired during a season were 4-3 chasing a bowl. Im not just going to give up on my team, especially a young one........ its not DMs fault that its hard to recruit to msu esp with Bracky. Its not DMs fault he compete against other SEC teams with bigger budgets andl can hirer better assts. Its not DMs fault that Msu fans can only be happy when msu is doing good and om does bad. God forbid om have any success.

Bottomline is Mullen has raised the bar and I get it.......msu fans want more but do yall even ****ing realize how far our program has come under Mullen? I sure can remember the 30k crowds getting our asses handed to us by a nonbcs team and hear Croom make excuses to why we should be patient with the 109th ranked offense. I can remember Jackie having some really bad seasons and what would of happened if we fired him after going 3-6-2 with a tie to Ark St? Mullen is still young and still learning but we have a very young team with alot of ball left and all our fanbase can talk about is hiring hud. This is a young team and next yr sets up real nice for us. Mullen is hear ATLEAST til 2014 so stop bitching bc I promise you its hurting our program and not helping.

If you want to know the REAL reason why Mullen is getting an extension then look at all the Hud supporters. Opposing schools are showing recruits our message boards and putting doubt that Mullen will be hear much longer so now msu has to sign an extension so we can assure mullen will be hear.

Rant over

Mullen has done a decent job. I will admit we need a new OC and it would be fun to see the excitement Danno had on the sidelines in years past. State has talent with more on the way. With the quick strides TSUN made in one years times has caused chicken little syndrome in Bully nation. We're gonna be fine and we are in better shape than others would to believe. Wish list, Bracky dismissed, a new OC, finish strong.

BulldogBear
10-28-2013, 08:02 AM
Mullen has done a decent job. I will admit we need a new OC and it would be fun to see the excitement Danno had on the sidelines in years past. State has talent with more on the way. With the quick strides TSUN made in one years times has caused chicken little syndrome in Bully nation. We're gonna be fine and we are in better shape than others would to believe. Wish list, Bracky dismissed, a new OC, finish strong.

This^ ....but just for S&G, would dumping Bracky for "no reason" set a lightbulb off and attract the NCAA to keep a close eye?

OT question, what the heck is vcash?

starkvegasdawg
10-28-2013, 08:05 AM
This^ ....but just for S&G, would dumping Bracky for "no reason" set a lightbulb off and attract the NCAA to keep a close eye?

OT question, what the heck is vcash?

Vcash is the backdoor way this board gets cash and good deals on mustangs to potential recruits.**

Dawgface
10-28-2013, 08:06 AM

If our administration is truly in full support of Mullen and I presume that to be the case with the contract extension talk, then I doubt they will force his hand on making changes to the staff. Mullen won't be making any changes because of message board talk and he is hard headed enough not to do it because of it. Hard for me to have much optimism at this point.

Goat Holder
10-28-2013, 08:29 AM
Great post.

Goat Holder
10-28-2013, 08:31 AM
It will probably help our recruiting tremendously come Jan/Feb by having the whole staff intact, for once. We did that in 2011/2012 and see how that class turned out? Plus, we don't really have an duds on this staff at all except maybe Hevesy, but Mullen ain't getting rid of him. Funny how everybody blames him for us losing Deon Mix, but before he decommitted, all the doomsayers were saying he wasn't worth a shit anyway.

Some people just like to bitch. They need new hobbies, or a job, or both. Something to get their mind off Mississippi State...a subject that, outside of a BC contribution, they really can do nothing about.

MrKotter
10-28-2013, 08:35 AM
if the message board forced Strick to cement Dan's tenure here, them we're doing a good job.
Just asking purely out of curiosity, why are you so adement of Mullen staying when the team is underwhelming at best?

MrKotter
10-28-2013, 08:36 AM
It will probably help our recruiting tremendously come Jan/Feb by having the whole staff intact, for once. We did that in 2011/2012 and see how that class turned out? Plus, we don't really have an duds on this staff at all except maybe Hevesy, but Mullen ain't getting rid of him. Funny how everybody blames him for us losing Deon Mix, but before he decommitted, all the doomsayers were saying he wasn't worth a shit anyway.

Some people just like to bitch. They need new hobbies, or a job, or both. Something to get their mind off Mississippi State...a subject that, outside of a BC contribution, they really can do nothing about.
Seems you should take your own advice.

ShotgunDawg
10-28-2013, 08:37 AM
Dear Dan Mullen,

Can you please surprise everyone and win at South Carolina this weekend so that we don't have to talk about this anymore?

The AD can give you an extension, a raise, and a vote of confidence in hopes that it will calm the masses. However, what we need more than anything is just a freaking win! A statement. Go win a big game, and you won't hear a peep. Simple as shake and bake

FISHDAWG
10-28-2013, 08:43 AM
Dear Dan Mullen,

Can you please surprise everyone and win at South Carolina this weekend so that we don't have to talk about this anymore?

The AD can give you an extension, a raise, and a vote of confidence in hopes that it will calm the masses. However, what we need more than anything is just a freaking win! A statement. Go win a big game, and you won't hear a peep. Simple as shake and bake

No - no extension !!

smootness
10-28-2013, 08:50 AM
Mullen has done a decent job.

He's been better than 'decent'.

Homedawg
10-28-2013, 09:18 AM
Why is everyone going crazy about the extension? It was agreed to in August in principle. It is thru 2016. It's not giving him 4 years after this one. Just 3 because it's an extension following 3 straight bowls! He's not getting fired and this extension doesn't have one thing to do with it.

Eric Nies Grind Time
10-28-2013, 09:29 AM
One big positive for Mullen is that he will never get our hopes up.

We know what to expect from this guy. We don't have to bother looking at good players on recruiting rankings because we have no shot of landing them. We don't have to bother worrying about winning a big game. If you think about it, he's really saving you all a lot of stress. Thanks Dan!

maroonmania
10-28-2013, 09:34 AM

Rant over

I agree with a lot of what you are saying but just being honest my enthusiasm on Mullen has waned quite a bit from what it was in 2010. Yes, we are 4-3 for the moment but I can already see plain as day sitting at 4-6 with 3 straight double digit losses to very good teams the next 3 weeks because right now we don't seem to be able to beat good teams or even compete that well for 4 quarters. As far as recruiting, it sort of is what it is. Over the past few years when we were ALL 100% UNIFIED on all things Mullen all the time our recruiting was still ho-hum so I can't believe the fact that some are questioning Mullen on message boards at this point is going to have any major effect. I will say though that I'm very much limiting my posting at the moment during a time when I don't have a lot positive to say other than the fact we are at least skating by the teams we have no business losing to.

smootness
10-28-2013, 09:35 AM
One big positive for Mullen is that he will never get our hopes up.

We know what to expect from this guy. We don't have to bother looking at good players on recruiting rankings because we have no shot of landing them. We don't have to bother worrying about winning a big game. If you think about it, he's really saving you all a lot of stress. Thanks Dan!

Geez. Can people come down off the pessimism train for a minute?

This is the coach who has given us our best first 5 years in program history. So while Mullen may not be lighting the world on fire, and it's fair to want to continue to improve, some act as though we should expect significantly more, when we've never...literally never...done this well under a new coach before.

That's fine if you think we can do better, but don't act like he's given us nothing or is somehow a terrible coach.

We also just landed possibly the best recruit in the history of the program.

Goat Holder
10-28-2013, 09:42 AM
It's really borderline insanity, isn't it? Or maybe ignorance or youth of the fanbase, or both.

maroonmania
10-28-2013, 09:43 AM

This is the coach who has given us our best first 5 years in program history. So while Mullen may not be lighting the world on fire, and it's fair to want to continue to improve, some act as though we should expect significantly more, when we've never...literally never...done this well under a new coach before.

That's fine if you think we can do better, but don't act like he's given us nothing or is somehow a terrible coach.

Not to split hairs but 1996-2000 was the best 5 years in program history. If we had had one extra easy win in those years like we do now with the extra non-conference game that 5 year stretch would look even better than it was.

Coach 57
10-28-2013, 09:50 AM
Not to split hairs but 1996-2000 was the best 5 years in program history. If we had had one extra easy win in those years like we do now with the extra non-conference game that 5 year stretch would look even better than it was.

Uh the SEC west was as weak then as a low flow shower head. So guess what a lot of those wins WERE easy wins. So you're out on that one.

maroonmania
10-28-2013, 09:58 AM
Uh the SEC west was as weak then as a low flow shower head. So guess what a lot of those wins WERE easy wins. So you're out on that one.

Uh, we actually BEAT good SEC teams during that stretch in the 90s which we definitely don't do now. Will agree that AL and LSU have been consistently better during Mullen's tenure than back then but everyone else has been up and down. Heck, we had 4 EASY WINS IN THE SEC last year PLUS our OOC games. IMO, my point very much still stands.

BulldogBear
10-28-2013, 10:09 AM

Not even close. We went 40-7-2 with an SEC championship and 2 Orange Bowls in the 5 season (no team in 1943) 1939-1944. That's just the best 5 years period. I may not be an old old dawg but I love keeping up with history. I love watching Bears shut they mouth when you show them that MSU, not Ole Miss, owns the largest beatdown (65-0), longest win streak (13), lead the series going back 5, 15, and 20 years (a generation), and average a higher margin of victory. Heh, though you can look at that last one and say hmmmm.... does that mean we usually leave no doubt or that they win the close ones? Last 20 years we lead the series 11-9 though most of them will say I am a liar and that it's more like 13-7 or 14-6 in Rebs' favor. I love showing them the scores!

FISHDAWG
10-28-2013, 10:16 AM
Why is everyone going crazy about the extension? It was agreed to in August in principle. It is thru 2016. It's not giving him 4 years after this one. Just 3 because it's an extension following 3 straight bowls! He's not getting fired and this extension doesn't have one thing to do with it.

typically schools give a 1-yr extension after the season so the coach can tell recruits that he still has 4 years remaining ... it's usually done every year ... not sure, but after last year I would assume that he recvd that 1 -yr exten... the extension DOES have something to do with it - by not extending you send the coach a message ... I don't know what the particulars of the extension are but I would think this is a 1-yr deal which should give him 4 yrs under contract going through 2017 --- one of us is wrong, probably me

Dawgface
10-28-2013, 10:30 AM
Well if it's a done deal all but the signing, so be it. I will still pull for the bullies and hope Mullen gets the ship turned around in the right direction. I will certainly be satisfied if he can scratch out a 6-6 record. About what I thought when the season started this year anyway. I just want to see some positives on the field like better play in the 2nd half and less head scratching decisions. Do that and we might win 2 more games.

maroonmania
10-28-2013, 11:25 AM
Not even close. We went 40-7-2 with an SEC championship and 2 Orange Bowls in the 5 season (no team in 1943) 1939-1944. That's just the best 5 years period. I may not be an old old dawg but I love keeping up with history. I love watching Bears shut they mouth when you show them that MSU, not Ole Miss, owns the largest beatdown (65-0), longest win streak (13), lead the series going back 5, 15, and 20 years (a generation), and average a higher margin of victory. Heh, though you can look at that last one and say hmmmm.... does that mean we usually leave no doubt or that they win the close ones? Last 20 years we lead the series 11-9 though most of them will say I am a liar and that it's more like 13-7 or 14-6 in Rebs' favor. I love showing them the scores!

No doubt you are correct. The earlier argument should have been qualified as modern program history.

BulldogBear
10-28-2013, 11:29 AM
The earlier argument should have been qualified as modern program history.

In that you right of course. I just don't want folks to think that's the best we've ever been able to muster. And as for Bears, if they wanna bring up old crap, a dawg can play that game too!! I can bring it!

dickiedawg
10-28-2013, 11:48 AM
This is the coach who has given us our best first 5 years in program history.

Just wanted to highlight the fact that smootness didn't say the best 5 years in school history. Obviously that's not the case.

Coach34
10-28-2013, 11:54 AM
Uh, we actually BEAT good SEC teams during that stretch in the 90s which we definitely don't do now.

We only beat 2 really good teams in the decade of the 1990's- both at home

11/16/1996- No. 8 Alabama...17-16....Starkville

11/21/1998- No. 9 Arkansas....22-21...Starkville

Jackie only had 3 in his entire tenure...I'll have to go back to that post, but it seems I remember that Jackie was something like 8-30 vs the top 25

blacklistedbully
10-28-2013, 11:56 AM

Allyn McKeen:

8-2
10-0-1
8-1-1
8-2-0
6-2-0

Had us ranked 3 times in those 5 years, including #9 in his second year.

Just sayin'

Homedawg
10-28-2013, 11:58 AM
typically schools give a 1-yr extension after the season so the coach can tell recruits that he still has 4 years remaining ... it's usually done every year ... not sure, but after last year I would assume that he recvd that 1 -yr exten... the extension DOES have something to do with it - by not extending you send the coach a message ... I don't know what the particulars of the extension are but I would think this is a 1-yr deal which should give him 4 yrs under contract going through 2017 --- one of us is wrong, probably me

The extension being talked about is the one that extends him thru 16. They haggled bal and forth and it took forever to agree to whatever they agreed to but its last years rollover. That's all. I guess the reason it hasn't been announced is bc he, being Dan, screwed around and didn't sign it. I dont know why. But this is NOT an extension for 17. Several reasons, 1, he can't have more than 4 on his contract and 2, he won't get an extension wo goin to a bowl.

Jack Lambert
10-28-2013, 12:00 PM
Like I said on another thread, we are walking in a Rose Garden compare to most MSU teams in the past.

Tbonewannabe
10-28-2013, 12:00 PM
You do realize every 1st round pick has been Croom's recruit.

Vandownbytheriver
10-28-2013, 12:03 PM

Dan's awesome coaching is the reason why*****

Tbonewannabe
10-28-2013, 12:03 PM
He beat #3 UF and I think Aub with Rudi Johnson was rated pretty high.

Coach34
10-28-2013, 12:04 PM
Allyn McKeen:

8-2
10-0-1
8-1-1
8-2-0
6-2-0

Just sayin'

which just happened to be during WWII when alot of the top athletes from other states were off fighting in the war

Vandownbytheriver
10-28-2013, 12:08 PM
which just happened to be during WWII when alot of the top athletes from other states were off fighting in the war

So let me get this straight, those don't count because other teams were down, but Dan's "big wins" against UGA and Florida do? Come on nah.

Coach34
10-28-2013, 12:08 PM

Croom's didnt coach Fletcher Cox for 10 seconds. Nor Gabe Jackson when he goes this coming April. Sherrod gave up 5 sacks vs OM by himself the last game he was coached by Crooms

How about those 1st round picks Shula recruited for Saban? People never bring those up for some reason.

Coach34
10-28-2013, 12:09 PM
So let me get this straight, those don't count because other teams were down, but Dan's "big wins" against UGA and Florida do? Come on nah.

I was just pointing out that anytime we have won big in our history- it's been in a down SEC

Vandownbytheriver
10-28-2013, 12:10 PM
I was just pointing out that anytime we have won big in our history- it's been in a down SEC

That actually makes since. Unfortunately, this is not one of those times and it's very evident.

Coach34
10-28-2013, 12:11 PM
He beat #3 UF and I think Aub with Rudi Johnson was rated pretty high.

That was in 2000- not in the 1990's. And that was his 3rd top 10 win in 13 years as HC. As I said, Jackie was something like 8-30 or even worse vs the top 25

Eric Nies Grind Time
10-28-2013, 12:16 PM
Will you still be this supportive of Mullen if MSU loses the Egg Bowl?

Coach34
10-28-2013, 12:18 PM
Will you still be this supportive of Mullen if MSU loses the Egg Bowl?

not at all- I've said that anything less than 6 wins and an EB loss is inexcusable. If either happens- he should be coaching for his job in 2014.

Tbonewannabe
10-28-2013, 12:20 PM
That was in 2000- not in the 1990's. And that was his 3rd top 10 win in 13 years as HC. As I said, Jackie was something like 8-30 or even worse vs the top 25

One year is kind of nitpicking to make your point. Kind of like MSU had the best record in the west from 1997-2000 or whatever it was.

Tbonewannabe
10-28-2013, 12:24 PM
Croom's didnt coach Fletcher Cox for 10 seconds. Nor Gabe Jackson when he goes this coming April. Sherrod gave up 5 sacks vs OM by himself the last game he was coached by Crooms

How about those 1st round picks Shula recruited for Saban? People never bring those up for some reason.

But you also have to find the talent and get them to campus. There is no doubt Mullen develops talent better than Croom. I was just pointing out that he doesn't get 100% credit for those guys.

Coach34
10-28-2013, 12:29 PM
But you also have to find the talent and get them to campus.

Well, our starting QB is the best one I've ever seen play for us
We will continue to put RB's in the NFL
Jones is our best DL talent since those guys in 1980-82
McKinney is probably going to be a top 3 round draft pick

Biggest problem I see is our lack of an NFL level WR to take some pressure off the run game

FISHDAWG
10-28-2013, 12:35 PM
thanks for clearing that up ... kinda strange Dan not signing originally

Goat Holder
10-28-2013, 12:39 PM
I agree we need an NFL WR but....

We will continue to put RB's in the NFL

Where? Which ones?

smootness
10-28-2013, 12:40 PM
Just wanted to highlight the fact that smootness didn't say the best 5 years in school history. Obviously that's not the case.

dickiedawg has it right.

It wasn't worded perfectly, but I meant that Mullen's record through his first 5 years is easily the best any coach in our history has had through his first 5 seasons, and that is despite the fact that our SEC competition has been significantly better than at just about any other period of time.

You have to try to compare apples to apples as much as possible, so all you can really compare is his record vs. the beginning of other coaches' tenures. Sherrill didn't start winning big until more than 5 years after he came.

We all want better. I wish we could stop with the 'this certain segment of the fanbase is holding us back' talk and just realize that we all ultimately want the same thing. Nobody is satisfied with being what we've been in our history. The differences of opinion are in regard to the best way to get where we want to be; some think Mullen has taken us as far as he can and a change is needed, while others feel like that would set us back again and we might lose a guy that has proven he can get it done (at least on some level) for an unknown.

I don't think we've seen Mullen's ceiling. Think about it: if we are going to try to use this year as the litmus test, then we're using a year in which we have a weird QB situation, with our 5th-year starter not a good fit at all for what Mullen wants to do and a year in which we have few seniors, and most of our upperclassmen come from weak recruiting classes.

Mullen's recruiting has picked up, but the guys from those classes still aren't experienced enough to truly showcase their talent yet. And beginning next year, all of our QBs will fit what Mullen wants to do.

I agree that this year has been somewhat disappointing, and I have no issue with Mullen being on the hot seat if we don't finish well. But next year will be a much better litmus test; if next year is more of the same, then he's had enough time and it'll be clear he's not going to be able to take us to the next level. But I don't think we know that yet.

SheltonChoked
10-28-2013, 12:43 PM
Yeah Jackie ALWAYS won those games vs smaller school, so lets just chalk up extra wins there.

Like in 1996 when we beat, 6-5 LA Tech 23-38?

Or in 1998 when we beat a 5-6 OkSt team 23-42?

What we lost those?

SheltonChoked
10-28-2013, 12:54 PM
I think Wilson and Ross are the answers there. Just need more time to develop. Rare a true Fr WR makes an Impact.

hacker
10-28-2013, 12:59 PM
I agree we need an NFL WR but....

Where? Which ones?

??

Perkins is a draft pick.
Shumpert will be a draft pick.
Aeris Williams will be a draft pick.

hacker
10-28-2013, 12:59 PM
I think Wilson and Ross are the answers there. Just need more time to develop. Rare a true Fr WR makes an Impact.

I agree.

Jack Lambert
10-28-2013, 01:02 PM

That's the most down college football ever was. That's a little different then just not recruiting or coaching. 15 million served during WWII. The talent pool was way down.

smootness
10-28-2013, 01:15 PM
Yeah Jackie ALWAYS won those games vs smaller school, so lets just chalk up extra wins there.

Like in 1996 when we beat, 6-5 LA Tech 23-38?

Or in 1998 when we beat a 5-6 OkSt team 23-42?

What we lost those?

I honestly believe some people would give up, say, a win or two vs Troy if it meant we beat A&M this year. In other words, they'd be ok with a loss here and there against a team that isn't as good as us if it meant we also won one here and there against a top 10-15 team.

And I get that. And you can't just keep saying this forever, but some of Mullen's teams could have beaten a team like that, they just didn't get it done. Just because it hasn't happened doesn't mean it won't. For Mississippi State, avoiding the bad loss is a step in the right direction. And I think we have continued to get better as a program; even though we won 9 games in his 2nd year, I don't think we were truly a 9-win team. The foundation is now there, and our talent level is getting better.

The irony about all this is, if Tyson Lee just pitches the ball to Dixon against LSU, or if Berry just catches the ball against Auburn, the 'Mullen can't win the big one' argument is gone, but the 'We're losing ground' argument is strengthened. The 2010 year was the best and worst thing that could have happened to Mullen here.

It bought him extra time and got everyone fully behind him, but it is now something people point back to in order to say that we're getting worse.

I keep going back to it, but to me it all hinges on next year. We'll know after next year whether Mullen is really the man for the job.

BulldogBear
10-29-2013, 08:18 AM

1939 (8-2), 1940 (10-0-1), and season of 1941 (8-1-1) we were not at war. And all the MS athletes stayed home?**

Tbonewannabe
10-29-2013, 08:30 AM

We are a military school, I would say we were at a greater disadvantage than someone like UM and Bama.

Tbonewannabe
10-29-2013, 08:34 AM
dickiedawg has it right.

It wasn't worded perfectly, but I meant that Mullen's record through his first 5 years is easily the best any coach in our history has had through his first 5 seasons, and that is despite the fact that our SEC competition has been significantly better than at just about any other period of time.

You have to try to compare apples to apples as much as possible, so all you can really compare is his record vs. the beginning of other coaches' tenures. Sherrill didn't start winning big until more than 5 years after he came.

We all want better. I wish we could stop with the 'this certain segment of the fanbase is holding us back' talk and just realize that we iall ultimately want the same thing. Nobody is satisfied with being what we've been in our history. The differences of opinion are in regard to the best way to get where we want to be; some think Mullen has taken us as far as he can and a change is needed, while others feel like that would set us back again and we might lose a guy that has proven he can get it done (at least on some level) for an unknown.

I don't think we've seen Mullen's ceiling. Think about it: if we are going to try to use this year as the litmus test, then we're using a year in which we have a weird QB situation, with our 5th-year starter not a good fit at all for what Mullen wants to do and a year in which we have few seniors, and most of our upperclassmen come from weak recruiting classes.

Mullen's recruiting has picked up, but the guys from those classes still aren't experienced enough to truly showcase their talent yet. And beginning next year, all of our QBs will fit what Mullen wants to do.

I agree that this year has been somewhat disappointing, and I have no issue with Mullen being on the hot seat if we don't finish well. But next year will be a much better litmus test; if next year is more of the same, then he's had enough time and it'll be clear he's not going to be able to take us to the next level. But I don't think we know that yet.

Jackie went to the Peach Bowl his 2nd? Year. I would say that was better than the Gator.

smootness
10-29-2013, 09:02 AM
Sherrill's first 5 years here he was 28-28. He went to 3 bowl games and lost them all.

Mullen is 33-25 as of today, and is 2-1 in bowl games. I don't really care about arguing the quality of the bowls because the SEC is tougher now than it was then, meaning a similar record, while being more impressive now than then, will get you a lower tiered bowl.

ETA: Sherrill also went 3-8 in his 5th year, after taking State to the Peach Bowl in his 4th.

BulldogBear
10-29-2013, 01:00 PM
We pulled our own "Cutcliffe" once. McKeen was 61-15-2, and all seasons had been ABOVE .500. We had been one of the top programs in the SEC and the south for that matter for a decade. Had a .500 season, 4-4-1...ONE NON WINNING SEASON, and we canned him. Changed the course of MSU football for the next 50 years. We were building a consistant winner and contender right when they were starting to be built and we shot ourselves in the foot. It is likely that we would have carried through the 1950s and 1960s as the Mississippi football school rather than Ole Miss. Or at least competed with them. Mississippi might of been a state like Alabama.

It is entertaining to read Ole Miss yearbooks from back in the day and read where it lamented things like losing to A&M once again but at least they scored this year and stuff! I remember one entry where they were so proud to have scored on us because hardly anyone else had that season.

Johnson85
10-29-2013, 02:39 PM
I keep going back to it, but to me it all hinges on next year. We'll know after next year whether Mullen is really the man for the job.

If we don't make a bowl game this year, I think we'll know he's not really the man for the job, if going better than 7-5 is what we're talking about. This is the first year where he's gotten to play a lot of teams that were pretty good but beatable. If he makes it the entire year without beating one of them (what would be required to go 5-7), I don't think it will ever happen.

blacklistedbully
10-29-2013, 02:52 PM

Don't think this is true of 1940. Besides, the same was true of all states. Mississippi was not an exception.

maroonmania
10-29-2013, 03:24 PM
We only beat 2 really good teams in the decade of the 1990's- both at home

11/16/1996- No. 8 Alabama...17-16....Starkville

11/21/1998- No. 9 Arkansas....22-21...Starkville

Jackie only had 3 in his entire tenure...I'll have to go back to that post, but it seems I remember that Jackie was something like 8-30 vs the top 25

Well, we had some other really good wins as well. We beat the 1997 Auburn team 20-0 that went 9-2 and lost the SEC championship to Manning and TN by 1 point. We beat a 7-4 Bama team in '98, a 7-4 OM team in '99 and then of course in 2000 beat a Top 10 FL team, an Auburn team that finished the year 8-4 and a 7-4 TA&M team in the bowl. Most of our best wins in modern day football came from the 1996-2000 time span. Jackie's 2 best wins in the early 90's was the 30-6 whipping of a FL team that finished 8-3 in '92 and a win over a 7-4 Manning led TN team in '94.

Schultzy
10-29-2013, 06:20 PM
Allyn McKeen:

8-2
10-0-1
8-1-1
8-2-0
6-2-0

Just sayin'

Did you know that in grand MSU fashion we fired his ass a year or two later for not meeting the expectations of our football program that he had created.
Sound familiar?