PDA

View Full Version : Where are our 8-9 wins next year that everyone seems so excited about?

msugolf
10-28-2013, 06:24 AM
Because I sure as hell don't see it. You people are putting a whole lot of faith and stock that our coaches develop our "young talent" faster than everyone else develops theirs. I only see 2 to 3 dynamic SEC players on our team next year, Dak, Chris Jones, and Redmond. That doesn't equal 8-9 wins. I don't care if TxAM loses JFF, they're recruiting at an elite level, they'll rebound pretty quickly. We're not beating Auburn; I don't care what Coach thinks. A year 2 Malzahn-led Auburn, is only going to be better than the first. They'll have everyone returning. Not happening. Ole Miss in oxford? Nope.

So where are these 8-9 wins that we've already penciled in?

DownwardDawg
10-28-2013, 06:35 AM
All 4 OOC games
UK, Vandy, Arkansas

That's 7 he SHOULD WIN. He needs to upset Auby, aTm, or ole miss and that will give him 8. Question is can he pull that off?

Barkman Turner Overdrive
10-28-2013, 06:45 AM
Ole Miss in oxford?

The way he plays, Bo Wallace won't be able to go the whole season next year without re-injuring his shoulder. Oh wait, that was going to be their demise this year.

Political Hack
10-28-2013, 07:09 AM
Wilson
JRob
Shump
Smith
BMac

An MSU fan will never go through the schedule and count OM anything other than a W. there's the 8th.

Dawgface
10-28-2013, 07:46 AM
Vandy and Arky may be possible wins, certainly not guaranteed. 50/50 maybe. And after this years debacle with KY, a win at KY is probably just 50/50.

Goat Holder
10-28-2013, 08:14 AM
Southern Miss - W
UAB - W
at USA - W
at LSU - L
Texas A&M - Toss
Auburn - Toss
at Kentucky - Toss (because it's on the road)
Arkansas - W (because it's at home)
UTM - W
at Alabama - L
Vanderbilt - W (home, again)
@ Ole Miss - Toss (road, again)

So that's 6-2 in the probable games. Split the tossups, we are 8-4.

SignalToNoise
10-28-2013, 08:17 AM
Southern Miss - W
UAB - W
at USA - W
at LSU - L
Texas A&M - Toss
Auburn - Toss
at Kentucky - Toss (because it's on the road)
Arkansas - W (because it's at home)
UTM - W
at Alabama - L
Vanderbilt - W (home, again)
@ Ole Miss - Toss (road, again)

So that's 6-2 in the probable games. Split the tossups, we are 8-4.

Splitting the tossups 50/50 is awfully generous given the history of this coaching staff.

Goat Holder
10-28-2013, 08:28 AM
I think if you look back at this year, this is what you see:

W - Alcorn, Troy, Bowling Green, Kentucky
L - LSU, South Carolina, Texas A&M, Alabama
T - Oklahoma State, Auburn, Arkansas, Ole Miss

Looks like we're right on track as long as even our breaks out by beating Arkansas and Ole Miss.

Of course I thought Auburn and Arkansas were in the win column before the year started. We blew that one.

smootness
10-28-2013, 09:04 AM
Splitting the tossups 50/50 is awfully generous given the history of this coaching staff.

Well, then counting Kentucky as a toss-up is awfully generous to them, since Mullen is 5-0 against them, 2 of them on the road.

SignalToNoise
10-28-2013, 09:12 AM
Considering they are kicking our ass in 'crootin' right now and we struggled with them at home after a bye week, I would not mark that as a sure fire win. It's a toss up at best right now.

TrapGame
10-28-2013, 09:12 AM
Mullen will coach his ass off next year. He'll pull a 9-3, good bowl and then jet to another program in a lesser conference he can easily win in.

Coach34
10-28-2013, 09:13 AM
4 OOC's
Kentucky
Vandy
UPig

should be 7 right there

Auburn and A&M will be at home- it gives us a good chance to win those for an 8th or 9th

We will have 16 starters returning
A good QB
good RB's
Every one of our WR's return
We return all of our TE's
We return 8 starters on defense and 19 of 22 on the 2-deep
We return 8 starters on offense- and I think Perkins graduating helps the offense

If that were true for any other school- there would be high expectations for that school.

Coach34
10-28-2013, 09:15 AM
Considering they are kicking our ass in 'crootin' right now and we struggled with them at home after a bye week, I would not mark that as a sure fire win. It's a toss up at best right now.

They had a bye week also
I'll put our 16 starters and depth we have returning against their Freshman next year anytime

SignalToNoise
10-28-2013, 09:17 AM
They had a bye week also
I'll put our 16 starters and depth we have returning against their Freshman next year anytime

Fair enough, but I won't.

Jacksondevildog
10-28-2013, 09:31 AM
Toss up with A&M? Until this staff shows that they can win a game where we will be significantly (10+ or more), it's not a toss up. We will be underdogs vs Auburn and Texas A&M.

smootness
10-28-2013, 09:32 AM
Well, since everyone seems to believe Mullen can't beat a top-20 team simply because he hasn't yet, I'll say that he can't lose to Kentucky because he's never done it before.

This year's recruiting rankings mean nothing to next year's game.

Coach34
10-28-2013, 09:39 AM
Toss up with A&M? Until this staff shows that they can win a game where we will be significantly (10+ or more), it's not a toss up. We will be underdogs vs Auburn and Texas A&M.

We wont be much of an underdog against either team- if at all

Goat Holder
10-28-2013, 09:40 AM
That would sort of be the ideal situation for everyone.

1) MSU has a 9 win season
2) Mullen erases the notion that you can't win at MSU and move on successfully
3) We could hire Hudspeth if he's still available
4) Whoever the coach is, will inherited a full, talented roster top to bottom
5) Booster get rid of the 'yankee' who doesn't understand Mississippi terribleness

msugolf
10-28-2013, 09:42 AM
4 OOC's
Kentucky
Vandy
UPig

should be 7 right there

Auburn and A&M will be at home- it gives us a good chance to win those for an 8th or 9th

A good QB
good RB's
We return 8 starters on offense- and I think Perkins graduating helps the offense

If that were true for any other school- there would be high expectations for that school.

Auburn will have 18 starters returning (10 on offense) and 21 of 22 on 2 deep (offense) and 17 of 22 (defense). Crazy not to think they'll improve significantly in the 2nd year of Malzahn. I'll give us less than 50% chance based on Mullen's history against Malzahn along with their talent and momentum.

TxAM had the 9th ranked recruiting class last year and currently sits at 5 for this class. I know people would like to think they'll just fade away into obscurity after JFF leaves but they've recruited at a high level, particularly at the skill level positions.

We return good RBs who get 5 carries a game.

All of our average SEC WRs return, yes, but no one who is going to change the outcome of a game. They are serviceable at best compared to the rest of the league.

So if Auburn and TxAM are considered our home toss-ups then our fans have some misplaced perceptions about the talent level of our program. We have decent talent, not elite. So that means we'll have to 1) out-scheme 2) out-develop 3) expect other teams to decline. I haven't seen proof of any of this happening so far.

Goat Holder
10-28-2013, 09:44 AM
Their recrootin at this point means absolutely nothing, especially in regards to next year. They are not kicking our ass anyways. Damn some of you are morons and know nothing about college football.

Coach34
10-28-2013, 09:46 AM
We have open dates to get ready for A&M and Kentucky next year also- those should be advantageous

mic
10-28-2013, 09:49 AM
Aggies are very young on defense and it shows. Unless they get better they will struggle to win 7-8 games next year.
without JF Mike Evans Jake Matthews and Malena.. Im not sure who else they have that are SR.. but there are 3 guys who are 1st rounders and a RB that will get drafted..
So yes the A&M game next year is very winnable..

Coach34
10-28-2013, 09:50 AM
Auburn will have 18 starters returning (10 on offense) and 21 of 22 on 2 deep (offense) and 17 of 22 (defense). Crazy not to think they'll improve significantly in the 2nd year of Malzahn. I'll give us less than 50% chance based on Mullen's history against Malzahn along with their talent and momentum.

We'll be at home. People seem to forget that 3 of the 4 games Mullen has played Malzahn have been at Auburn. Malzahn, with one of the best college QB's to ever play the game, won by 3 points in Sville.

maroonmania
10-28-2013, 09:53 AM
4 OOC's
Kentucky
Vandy
UPig

should be 7 right there

A good QB
good RB's

Yea, I think we are looking at a 7-5 kind of year. 4 OOC games and we should beat Ark and Vandy at home. I would look for no more than a split with the home Auburn game and the game at KY to get to 7 (more than likely the KY game). If Manziel's gone from A&M we could have a shot to get to 8 but if he comes back, no chance even at home.

mic
10-28-2013, 10:04 AM
Yea, I think we are looking at a 7-5 kind of year. 4 OOC games and we should beat Ark and Vandy at home. I would look for no more than a split with the home Auburn game and the game at KY to get to 7 (more than likely the KY game). If Manziel's gone from A&M we could have a shot to get to 8 but if he comes back, no chance even at home.

No worries about JF being there. Hell he would have left this year if he could of..

BulldogBear
10-28-2013, 10:15 AM
We'll be at home. People seem to forget that 3 of the 4 games Mullen has played Malzahn have been at Auburn. Malzahn, with one of the best college QB's to ever play the game, won by 3 points in Sville.

Without that guy Malzahn goes down to MSU that year in beatdown fashion