PDA

View Full Version : Coaching Searches

Fader21
11-04-2019, 04:48 PM
Let's hear your predictions on the current openings and what might cause it to be a busy year in off season coaching searches.

FSU- Urban Meyer (I would love to see the Meyer/Mullen bowl)
Rutgers- Greg Schiano
USC (not open yet)- James Franklin, PJ Fleck goes to Penn. State, Minnesota hires a G5 coach.

Wildcard- John Harbaugh goes back to the NFL. This might set more actions in motion.

TNDawg35
11-04-2019, 05:05 PM
I would not be surprised if Franklin left State, they come after Moorehead. They love him up there.

TrapGame
11-04-2019, 05:16 PM
FSU - Hugh Freeze (Mullen can't escape Reverend Freeze!)
Rutgers - Why hasn't Rutgers gotten Schiano yet? (Odd. It's like they're waiting on something...)
USC - Urban Meyer (He's living in LA right now. He's made it known he wants the job.)

Wildcard: If Franklin goes to USC instead of Urban then Moorhead (if not at Rutgers) will be campaigning hard for the PSU job.

Tbonewannabe
11-04-2019, 05:30 PM
I saw a blurb about Bob Stoops or was it Mark to FSU.

Urban to USC seems almost like a done deal.

Rutgers would have hired Schiano by now if he was their #1 choice, right?

Really Clark?
11-04-2019, 05:38 PM
I saw a blurb about Bob Stoops or was it Mark to FSU.

Urban to USC seems almost like a done deal.

Rutgers would have hired Schiano by now if he was their #1 choice, right?

I think Schiano is meeting with Rutgers this week. Seems like he is the first choice (or at least with some, the AD it seems wasn’t 100% sold on him, per reports). Some are reporting that Butch Jones is the fall back option. But like with any coaching searches, it is always fluid.

HailStateSZN19
11-04-2019, 05:46 PM
FSU- Matt Campbell or Dave Clawson

USC- Urban or Ryan Day (been some smoke today on this) or James Franklin

Rutgers- Schiano (just sounds like for whatever reason, the AD is trying to make it look like he did the due diligence of interviewing others but it’s Schiano or bust to them & definitely don’t think they’re “waiting” on Joe or anything like that)

vv83
11-04-2019, 05:54 PM
I wish we could empty the bank and throw 7 mil at Urban. I really think he'd be worth it and would do great here

was21
11-04-2019, 06:38 PM
Urban too urban for Starkvegas

MetEdDawg
11-04-2019, 07:02 PM
FSU - Mark Stoops
Rutgers - Greg Schiano
USC - Matt Campbell

Bonus pick: Arkansas fires Morris and hire Napier

Saltydog
11-04-2019, 08:21 PM
I think Upig will get either Norvell or Napier.

RocketDawg
11-04-2019, 08:24 PM
I wish we could empty the bank and throw 7 mil at Urban. I really think he'd be worth it and would do great here

We have about the same chance of getting Urban Meyer as OM had of getting John Gruden. Of course, he might want to outdo Mullen .... ;)

RocketDawg
11-04-2019, 08:25 PM
Urban too urban for Starkvegas

Just wondering ... who the heck would name their kid "Urban"??

Howboutdemdogs
11-04-2019, 08:46 PM
Just wondering ... who the heck would name their kid "Urban"??

Someone from Rural America

TheLostDawg
11-05-2019, 07:43 AM
https://www.wtxl.com/news/local-news/sources-fsu-nearing-deal-with-bob-stoops-to-become-next-head-football-coach

Says stoops to FSU

msstate7
11-05-2019, 07:44 AM
https://www.wtxl.com/news/local-news/sources-fsu-nearing-deal-with-bob-stoops-to-become-next-head-football-coach

Says stoops to FSU

If FSU gets bob stoops, wow... this would be a great hire.

TheLostDawg
11-05-2019, 07:47 AM
FSU - Mark Stoops
Rutgers - Greg Schiano
USC - Matt Campbell

Bonus pick: Arkansas fires Morris and hire Napier

My money is on this but Bob not Mark

Coursesuper
11-05-2019, 07:49 AM
I think Upig will get either Norvell or Napier.

Arkansas will hire whomever Jerry Jones says they will hire. So don't rule out a coordinator with TX ties.

smootness
11-05-2019, 07:59 AM
It's not really that strange that Rutgers hasn't yet hired Schiano. Doesn't seem to mean they won't hire him, at all. No coach wants to come in and try to take over a team midseason. It's always best to wait until the season is over and allow for a clean slate.

TheLostDawg
11-05-2019, 08:00 AM
Arkansas will hire whomever Jerry Jones says they will hire. So don't rule out a coordinator with TX ties.

I think that it will be Napier as well. They'll want a good offensive guy considering Jones grandson is QB there. Jones knows what Alabama players look like in the NFL. To me I don't see anyone else.

msstate7
11-05-2019, 08:12 AM
It's not really that strange that Rutgers hasn't yet hired Schiano. Doesn't seem to mean they won't hire him, at all. No coach wants to come in and try to take over a team midseason. It's always best to wait until the season is over and allow for a clean slate.

Well even if he was hired today, surely he wouldn't take over on the field. Couldn't you just hire him ASAP and let him start recruiting?

Fader21
11-05-2019, 03:40 PM
If Bob is hired at FSU, who takes over for the XFL team, Hal Mumme??

BrunswickDawg
11-05-2019, 03:51 PM
Let's hear your predictions on the current openings and what might cause it to be a busy year in off season coaching searches.

Rutgers- Greg Schiano
USC (not open yet)- James Franklin, PJ Fleck goes to Penn. State, Minnesota hires a G5 coach.

Wildcard- John Harbaugh goes back to the NFL. This might set more actions in motion.

Minnesota just locked up Fleck to 2026 - $4.6 million a year with a $10m buyout for him to leave.

msstate7
11-05-2019, 04:00 PM
Minnesota just locked up Fleck to 2026 - $4.6 million a year with a $10m buyout for him to leave.

Smart move for Minnesota. I figured fleck would test the waters some

Fader21
11-05-2019, 04:30 PM

Wow good move for MN. I guess Penn State will look at Matt Rhule which is his alma mater

Percho
11-05-2019, 05:30 PM

How would, Jason Garrett, do at Arkansas?

timotheus
11-05-2019, 05:32 PM
Jason would be too intellectual for the college level. sounds familiar........

Percho
11-05-2019, 05:32 PM
If Moorhead starts us at 8 - 0 next year will we try to lock him up until 2027 for 4.6 mil per?

Percho
11-05-2019, 05:34 PM
Jason would be too intellectual for the college level. sounds familiar........

I was thinking maybe two birds with one rock.

timotheus
11-05-2019, 05:35 PM
And I wish i had a couple extra million. he has a better chance of being 1-7 after 8 games next year then ever sniffing 8-0.

HailStateSZN19
11-05-2019, 05:36 PM
On the topic of coaches & coaching searches, just read an article on Norvell's contract since he's bound to be a hot commodity this offseason or in the near future. It said his buyout is a whopping $500,000..... and has been since his first contract in 2015. Now that's just crazy to me. It says that they don't make it a ridiculous buyout because "he's so content there and has turned down numerous job offers because he loves living in Memphis and has one of the best jobs in America to him". Does he make it this offseason without someone scooping him up?

timotheus
11-05-2019, 05:37 PM
He may just stay a few more years.

HailStateSZN19
11-05-2019, 05:51 PM
Also, hot take from me (be cool if this actually were to happen):

There's been some smoke for a while that some big boosters @ Auburn want Malzahn gone this year if they lose to Bama, which by the way, is almost surely going to happen. They buyout Gus & he heads west over to Arkansas and takes over there. If that happened, not sure who Auburn would go after but I'm sure if Bob Stoops isn't hired by FSU by then, they'd go hard after him.

parabrave
11-05-2019, 06:37 PM
FSU Lane Kiffen. How are FSUs facilities compared to Gators?

Really Clark?
11-05-2019, 09:07 PM
Wow good move for MN. I guess Penn State will look at Matt Rhule which is his alma mater

They might but his buyout is huge. Baylor doesn’t have to report but the AD did say it’s in the Top 5 of all of college football. So you have to figure $15-20MIL at least

Fader21
11-06-2019, 08:31 AM
They might but his buyout is huge. Baylor doesn’t have to report but the AD did say it’s in the Top 5 of all of college football. So you have to figure $15-20MIL at least

But could there be a stipulation for certain schools?

smootness
11-06-2019, 08:57 AM
Well even if he was hired today, surely he wouldn't take over on the field. Couldn't you just hire him ASAP and let him start recruiting?

That would just be a strange setup, to have a head coach in place during a season and not have him actually coaching anything.

DownwardDawg
11-06-2019, 11:55 AM

There's been some smoke for a while that some big boosters @ Auburn want Malzahn gone this year if they lose to Bama, which by the way, is almost surely going to happen. They buyout Gus & he heads west over to Arkansas and takes over there. If that happened, not sure who Auburn would go after but I'm sure if Bob Stoops isn't hired by FSU by then, they'd go hard after him.

The Gus to Arkansas deal is discussed every single year across all message boards. Auburn has been flirting with getting rid of him for years. And every year people say he will end up at Arkansas. It just seems like a perfect fit. Arkansas would be crazy not to hire him but who knows.

ETA: I think his offense would fit us perfectly. Especially with the type of QB?s we?ve been recruiting.

TrapGame
11-06-2019, 12:15 PM
The Gus to Arkansas deal is discussed every single year across all message boards. Auburn has been flirting with getting rid of him for years. And every year people say he will end up at Arkansas. It just seems like a perfect fit. Arkansas would be crazy not to hire him but who knows.

ETA: I think his offense would fit us perfectly. Especially with the type of QB?s we?ve been recruiting.

Gus has some really talented guys at AU and underachieves. One season he's got one hell of a team that wins 9 or 10 games. The next year he has a mediocre team that finishes 8-4. That's with Auburn talent. I do not want Gus as a head coach. Now, he'd probably turn Arkansas around within a couple of seasons and make KJ Jefferson an All SEC QB.

Really Clark?
11-06-2019, 12:49 PM
But could there be a stipulation for certain schools?

Could be, no way to know with Baylor being private. Even so it’s still going to be a big buyout this year bring the first year

trojandawg
11-06-2019, 12:57 PM
I don't think Franklin leaves Penn State. I bet he stays in Pennsylvania. I imagine USC may try to get him, but I would think they probably look more for a west coast guy. USC is going to through a lot changes on the university admin side. The new president was hired after the last president was fired due to sexual assault was going on by a doctor hired by the university. They also just had all of the college bribery deal going on. The new president doesn't want anything to do with someone that has a history or been tied to any scandal or baggage. She doesn't want anything to do with Urban. They also don't want another Kiffin or Sarkesian. My guess is they go for someone that may not be a home run hire but is a solid coach every year. i'm thinking they might even go after someone in the NFL like Sean McVay if he would leave the Rams or a Josh McDaniels. Maybe college coach is Harsin if they hired a G5 college coach. I could also see a Craig Bohl. Matt Campbell and Rhule would both be power 5 sitting head coaches they go after.

Rhule is probably going to get his shot. Maybe FSU but my guess is they go after Clawson

R2Dawg
11-06-2019, 01:04 PM
I would not be surprised if Franklin left State, they come after Moorehead. They love him up there.

Folks be scratching their heads on that move by PSU. Franklin got hired because he turned Vandy into a competitor and winner; Moorhead turned a winner into ?..

Really Clark?
11-06-2019, 01:20 PM
I don't think Franklin leaves Penn State. I bet he stays in Pennsylvania. I imagine USC may try to get him, but I would think they probably look more for a west coast guy. USC is going to through a lot changes on the university admin side. The new president was hired after the last president was fired due to sexual assault was going on by a doctor hired by the university. They also just had all of the college bribery deal going on. The new president doesn't want anything to do with someone that has a history or been tied to any scandal or baggage. She doesn't want anything to do with Urban. They also don't want another Kiffin or Sarkesian. My guess is they go for someone that may not be a home run hire but is a solid coach every year. i'm thinking they might even go after someone in the NFL like Sean McVay if he would leave the Rams or a Josh McDaniels. Maybe college coach is Harsin if they hired a G5 college coach. I could also see a Craig Bohl. Matt Campbell and Rhule would both be power 5 sitting head coaches they go after.

Rhule is probably going to get his shot. Maybe FSU but my guess is they go after Clawson

Rhule is not going to be poached by a college program right now. NFL is more probable. At least until the buyout drops.

BrunswickDawg
11-06-2019, 01:34 PM
I love a good troll job during coaching searches.....

Coach34
11-06-2019, 08:22 PM
Gus has some really talented guys at AU and underachieves. One season he's got one hell of a team that wins 9 or 10 games. The next year he has a mediocre team that finishes 8-4. That's with Auburn talent. I do not want Gus as a head coach. Now, he'd probably turn Arkansas around within a couple of seasons and make KJ Jefferson an All SEC QB.

What season did Gus underachieve at Auburn?

They played for the title in 2013
They play Georgia, State, and Bama on the road in even numbered years- plus LSU is on the schedule
They won the West in 2017
They have had a freshman QB this year and have 2 losses- but I still wouldnt be surprised if they beat Georgia or Bama

Barkman Turner Overdrive
11-06-2019, 08:50 PM

How would moving Gus to a school we have had a great deal of success with lately and putting Bob Stoops at a school that we have been relatively competitive with lately ?be cool if it were to happen?? That would be horrible for us.

TrapGame
11-06-2019, 08:55 PM
What season did Gus underachieve at Auburn?

They played for the title in 2013
They play Georgia, State, and Bama on the road in even numbered years- plus LSU is on the schedule
They won the West in 2017
They have had a freshman QB this year and have 2 losses- but I still wouldnt be surprised if they beat Georgia or Bama

34 you know Gus blows a game or two every other year. Those even number years are not kind to Gus a lot of the time.

HailStateSZN19
11-06-2019, 09:05 PM
How would moving Gus to a school we have had a great deal of success with lately and putting Bob Stoops at a school that we have been relatively competitive with lately ?be cool if it were to happen?? That would be horrible for us.

I didn’t mean that in the parentheses literally lol. Geez. I meant it as it’d be cool if I were to guess that right because I haven’t seen that suggested from anyone else as something that could happen. What would LITERALLY be cool would be for Arkansas to sign Morris to a lifetime extension and there’s 1 less SEC west team we have to worry about and compete against each year.

timotheus
11-07-2019, 08:04 AM
I just wish we could maintain a HC who can compete in the SEC and keep MSU in the 7-9 win column annually. If that man is Gus then go all in for him if Auburn is dumb enough to let him go. Auburn's next best hope is for Saban to retire soon but until then it matters not who is HC on the plains because Saban won't have a win slump and struggle to give Auburn any breathing room.

MD2020
11-07-2019, 01:20 PM

If USC fires Helton we grab him immediately

BrunswickDawg
11-07-2019, 01:49 PM
If USC fires Helton we grab him immediately

Why would we want another guy who has under-achieved? And under-achieved with more talent? What winning he did were with hold-overs from Kiffin/Sark.
Right now his team is made up of kids from classes ranked #2, #10, #4, #4, and #20 - and he went 5-7 last year and is 5-4 so far this year. His 2020 class is currently ranked #60.

No thanks

Randolph Dupree
11-07-2019, 02:14 PM
Don't be surprised if the only changes you see are a result of coaches leaving of their own accord. I spoke to a guy last night, that says the AD sees no issues with our current coaching situation. This is a new source of info for me, but this guy's brother allegedly works in either the athletic department or Bulldog Club (I can't remember what he said but it was one of those). I was shocked to hear it and not sure I believe it but he was adamant.

I'm still on the clean house train. Everyone but Tony Hughes.

Tbonewannabe
11-07-2019, 02:23 PM
Don't be surprised if the only changes you see are a result of coaches leaving of their own accord. I spoke to a guy last night, that says the AD sees no issues with our current coaching situation. This is a new source of info for me, but this guy's brother allegedly works in either the athletic department or Bulldog Club (I can't remember what he said but it was one of those). I was shocked to hear it and not sure I believe it but he was adamant.

If you just looked at the stats and scores without knowing how the team looked, you wouldn't be as ready to clean house. However, most fans know we looked like hot garbage against most good teams and the game was over before halftime in most of our losses.

HailStateSZN19
11-07-2019, 02:33 PM

If the only changes that are made are coaches leaving on their own, then ST and S&C need to be 2 of them lol. I don't get how anyone can look at those 2 coaching spots and see no issues. I'm curious as to which assistants are wanting to leave on their own. I've seen Cooter say some may choose to leave and now you're saying it as well. Did he say which ones might be looking to leave? Aside from Hughes, Michael Johnson, Buckley, and Shoop I can't think of any others I'd be upset at losing.

TrapGame
11-07-2019, 02:41 PM

If that's true we need a new AD.

timotheus
11-07-2019, 02:45 PM
tick tock. who would come here to coach next season knowing full well that the HC tenure will end after the 2020 season?

timotheus
11-07-2019, 02:46 PM
I'm all in on the need a new AD deal if he can't see these football issues.

MD2020
11-07-2019, 03:18 PM
Why would we want another guy who has under-achieved? And under-achieved with more talent? What winning he did were with hold-overs from Kiffin/Sark.
Right now his team is made up of kids from classes ranked #2, #10, #4, #4, and #20 - and he went 5-7 last year and is 5-4 so far this year. His 2020 class is currently ranked #60.

No thanks

I didn't say head coach but I wouldn't mind that either. He's definitely worth a position coach which is what I'm referring to

Randolph Dupree
11-07-2019, 04:35 PM
If the only changes that are made are coaches leaving on their own, then ST and S&C need to be 2 of them lol. I don't get how anyone can look at those 2 coaching spots and see no issues. I'm curious as to which assistants are wanting to leave on their own. I've seen Cooter say some may choose to leave and now you're saying it as well. Did he say which ones might be looking to leave? Aside from Hughes, Michael Johnson, Buckley, and Shoop I can't think of any others I'd be upset at losing.

I should've clarified, the guy didn't indicate that he knew of anyone looking to leave, it was meant more to mean that he didn't think anyone was getting the axe for performance. The big take away was that the AD, at least during this conversation, was completely oblivious to the discontent within the fan base and did not seem to have an issue with the on field results. Which was both shocking and disappointing if true. I'm a Cohen supporter but if this is true, we've got issues.

We will all just have to wait and see.

TrapGame
11-07-2019, 04:40 PM
I should've clarified, the guy didn't indicate that he knew of anyone looking to leave, it was meant more to mean that he didn't think anyone was getting the axe for performance. The big take away was that the AD, at least during this conversation, was completely oblivious to the discontent within the fan base and did not seem to have an issue with the on field results. Which was both shocking and disappointing if true. I'm a Cohen supporter but if this is true, we've got issues.

OMG! If this is remotely true Cohen needs to go.

RougeDawg
11-07-2019, 05:03 PM

Only people I would be worried about stealing SloMo would have the names Barnum and Bailey.

Tbonewannabe
11-07-2019, 05:15 PM

I would believe this but Cohen showing up at the UT press conference seems like it was a warning shot to Joe. Joe admitted that the coaching staff and team did a shit job getting ready for that game but it has also been the only time Cohen was there for the post game press conference. It wasn't a normal occurrence. As much as Cohen is on social media, you would have to be willfully blind to not see the unrest in the fanbase.

MedDawg
11-07-2019, 05:28 PM

Rutgers- Greg Schiano

Penn State is a better job than Southern Cal. Penn State has $50 million more annual athletic department revenue than USC and 50,000 more fans per football home game (105,000 vs 55,000).

Heck, Mississippi State has a higher football attendance than Southern Cal and nearly as much athletic department revenue ($116 million for USC vs $104 million for MSU).

Todd4State
11-07-2019, 05:56 PM
Penn State is a better job than Southern Cal. Penn State has $50 million more annual athletic department revenue than USC and 50,000 more fans per football home game (105,000 vs 55,000).

Heck, Mississippi State has a higher football attendance than Southern Cal and nearly as much athletic department revenue ($116 million for USC vs $104 million for MSU).

And yet our recruiting budget is near the bottom of the SEC, our compliance department is stuck in 1998, and we only look at coordinators for football coach hires.