PDA

View Full Version : Mississippi State badly needs to have some townhall meetings about football

Todd4State
11-03-2019, 11:40 PM
One of the best things MSU ever did was have townhall meetings before they went forward and built the new Dudy Noble Field. That was very smart to get with the fans and have an open and respectful (at least mine in Jackson was respectful not sure about anywhere else) forum and just talk about MSU baseball things regarding fan experience and why we needed a new stadium.

I feel like there is an enormous disconnect right now between MSU fans and the athletic department specifically on several different levels. And I think we need to talk about it.

I am not a major booster- I do belong to the BC, I have season tickets, I go to pretty much every home game, I go to most bowls, and I have witnessed MSU play in every current SEC venue and former SEC venue minus Sewanee. I have a degree from MSU. That's my background.

Personally I feel like MSU as an athletic department is kind of going through the motions and kind of doing what worked in 2009 with very little changes. And it has gotten kind of stale.

I feel like the AD feels like our ceiling as a program is lower than what most of the fans believe it could be. And maybe should be. 6-6 was OK in 2007. Should be it be OK now? After several 8 win seasons I don't think it necessarily should be. I feel like we could and should invest more as a program in recruiting, S&C, and when we have coaching changes I think we should set our sights higher and expand to beyond just college coordinators. I feel like our compliance department is out of date and that should be a concern with the new changes that are going to be coming. Ole Miss is going to have every player in a Cannon car commercial and we're going to be self reporting every little thing like it's 1994.

And as far as being a fan- I feel like MSU doesn't really care about what we think or value us that much. For example- the gameday experience. Every year it's a mess at the beginning of the year. Come up with a system that works and if it works don't try to change it. Make sure the metal detectors work. Make sure there is water. Make sure the concessions people are there. Make sure the traffic flow that works is still in place. And then uniforms. Can we really not have an interlocking MSU if we can't buy it back outright? Or at the very least maroon helmets? I get that maybe the players "like" certain things and that's fine and good- but I also think that there needs to be some balance there and that there are some fan friendly things done as well. And then change up some things every year on gameday. Literally there was a video on HailState's youtube channel and the guy doing the gameday stuff was literally copy cut and pasting the script for the video board from one of the games from last year. The video department needs to beef things up too. There needs to be more content and there needs to be some kind of a 15-20 minute MSU football show like Relentless on youtube. If Ole Miss can do that- we should too. I can't tell if the reason for not having one is "we don't have enough money" or "we don't feel like it". Or both. But that's the vibe I get.

Anyway- I think it would be good to talk this stuff out around the state/Region- Starkville, Jackson, Memphis, Tupelo, Greenville, Meridian, and Gulfport/Biloxi at the very least. I want it to be a constructive let's get on the same page and have the best football program that we can be discussion. And how to do it. We need to stop with the "why we can't do that" excuses and figure out how to do it. Right now- personally I feel like we are at least performing 2-4 wins below our actual potential.

Lord McBuckethead
11-04-2019, 12:47 AM
Yeah the AD may seem kind of stale as you put it, but first let me address a few things.

Parking and traffic: the campus was not designed to flow that many folks on and off campus in the short windows. There is really nothing that can be done at the moment. When they get the new cut through road on the east side finished, its going to help, but 20k cars all trying to exit the same 4 roads is going to cause a hold up. Especially when everyone wants to tailgate in the junction.

2. Coaching searches, I have no idea what our limits were the past two times we had to do it. So I cannot comment. We have to have a better special teams coach and s&c. Thats a given. We also never need to cheap out on amy coaching position ever again. Our recruiting budget should be whatever we need to spend. So...no exact budget. With that open pocketbook comes expectations.

3. I do not like the walk out music nor the flashing lights. The slow roll up door is stupid too. Let the players cue up at the field and develop a MSU way of entering the stadium. Flashing light scream that they hired the same design team to design it as aTm did. Populous. Time to get some fresh ideas.

4. Trust me, the AD doesn't think our ceiling is 6-6.

1bigdawg
11-04-2019, 07:02 AM
2. .... Our recruiting budget should be whatever we need to spend. So...no exact budget. With that open pocketbook comes expectations.

When you have a better football team, more money comes in for both the athletic program and the university. Therefore, it just makes sense that the recruiting budget needs to be whatever amount it takes to succeed - even unlimited as you say.

Ari Gold
11-04-2019, 09:29 AM
Yeah the AD may seem kind of stale as you put it, but first let me address a few things.

Parking and traffic: the campus was not designed to flow that many folks on and off campus in the short windows. There is really nothing that can be done at the moment. When they get the new cut through road on the east side finished, its going to help, but 20k cars all trying to exit the same 4 roads is going to cause a hold up. Especially when everyone wants to tailgate in the junction.

2. Coaching searches, I have no idea what our limits were the past two times we had to do it. So I cannot comment. We have to have a better special teams coach and s&c. Thats a given. We also never need to cheap out on amy coaching position ever again. Our recruiting budget should be whatever we need to spend. So...no exact budget. With that open pocketbook comes expectations.

3. I do not like the walk out music nor the flashing lights. The slow roll up door is stupid too. Let the players cue up at the field and develop a MSU way of entering the stadium. Flashing light scream that they hired the same design team to design it as aTm did. Populous. Time to get some fresh ideas.

Our football recruiting budget , based on the numbers I saw from 2018 would put us next to last out of all P5 schools. and a little more than half of what OM budget is... Vandy wasn’t listed.

Ari Gold
11-04-2019, 09:29 AM

Our football recruiting budget , based on the numbers I saw from 2018 would put us next to last out of all P5 schools. and a little more than half of what OM budget is... Vandy wasn?t listed.

Todd4State
11-04-2019, 09:58 AM
Our football recruiting budget , based on the numbers I saw from 2018 would put us next to last out of all P5 schools. and a little more than half of what OM budget is... Vandy wasn’t listed.

And that shouldn’t be. Especially with the millions we are spending in other sports.

Coursesuper
11-04-2019, 10:02 AM
Our football recruiting budget , based on the numbers I saw from 2018 would put us next to last out of all P5 schools. and a little more than half of what OM budget is... Vandy wasn?t listed.

Where do the $ go in the recruiting budget?

Cooterpoot
11-04-2019, 10:10 AM
Our athletic dept doesn’t believe we can build a high level program. They’re happy with 7 wins til the end of time. That won’t change.

TheLostDawg
11-04-2019, 10:55 AM
I agree with all of this. Having a town hall would be a great idea. I whole lot more personal than having some student call me while I'm getting off work asking me for money or me just getting a letter in the mail. They obviously don't have any ideas and going through the motions like you mentioned. This is the reason I have been against always promoting from within. Too many drawbacks. It's okay every now and then but this is what we get when it becomes every time.

BeastMan
11-04-2019, 11:01 AM
I think it’s fair to say that their is a disconnect between fans and the athletic department. I think it’s fair to say they don’t care about your feedback. That’s the disconnect. They didn’t under LT and it feels just like that now. Juxtapose that to Byrne and Strick and it’s totally different. They listened to everyone. If you, Joe Blow fan, wanted to get Strick on the phone you could.

BB30
11-04-2019, 11:22 AM
Our athletic dept doesn’t believe we can build a high level program. They’re happy with 7 wins til the end of time. That won’t change.

Nobody on here knows our money situation better than our president and AD including myself. You can't just go spending money that you don't have. It's an embarrassment how small our budget actually is considering we are a power 5 SEC west team. It is an embarrassment that OM fund raises at a significantly higher level when we are in the same state and have relatively similar enrollment.

You want a nicer program, well the money has to come from somewhere. We are trying to compete at the highest level on a budget that is a quarter of the size of 4 SEC West teams(LSU, Bama, Auburn, ATM) and behind Arky and OM. And yet, we still expect to be better than half of those teams every year and finish in the top 6-9 in the SEC. Some expect to be better than that. In order for us to get there it is going to take more fund raising and spending.

This has nothing to do with how bad JOMO has been or an excuse for him. But if you want a top tier program it takes money and a lot of it.

Indndawg
11-04-2019, 11:48 AM

fsdjlkfjlsdjlfjs

Really Clark?
11-04-2019, 11:58 AM
Nobody on here knows our money situation better than our president and AD including myself. You can't just go spending money that you don't have. It's an embarrassment how small our budget actually is considering we are a power 5 SEC west team. It is an embarrassment that OM fund raises at a significantly higher level when we are in the same state and have relatively similar enrollment.

You want a nicer program, well the money has to come from somewhere. We are trying to compete at the highest level on a budget that is a quarter of the size of 4 SEC West teams(LSU, Bama, Auburn, ATM) and behind Arky and OM. And yet, we still expect to be better than half of those teams every year and finish in the top 6-9 in the SEC. Some expect to be better than that. In order for us to get there it is going to take more fund raising and spending.

This has nothing to do with how bad JOMO has been or an excuse for him. But if you want a top tier program it takes money and a lot of it.

Our athletic budget is 35th nationally only about $6MIL difference from UNM and ahead of several other P5 school. Don’t know where you are getting we are operating with 25% the size of Bama, Auburn, LSU and TAM. Yeah they are well above us but we have closed the gap considerably

https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/

Maroonthirteen
11-04-2019, 12:01 PM
No reason for us to have such a small recruiting budget with the tv money. None.

Yeah, we need to seriously get with the times in the compliance department. This pay for likeness and NCAAs halfway support of it.... is going to make things really tricky. There is a whole new revenue stream to circumvent recruiting rules but the ncaa says you can have this revenue but by the same rules. Huh???? Better call Saul.

MState logo is just a better logo for marketing and representing the university as a whole. You want to use that logo on your most visible product.

OM May have a nice video department but we beat the pants off them in pregame and ingame fan fare. Part of it is because they lost some traditions but State does an excellent job in stadium with keeping our traditions and using them to have a festive atmosphere.

You got to know where to park and be willing to walk a 1/2 mile -3/4. I get on and off campus easy. Also States tailgating scene is amazing and really underrated.

msbulldog
11-04-2019, 12:15 PM
One of the best things MSU ever did was have townhall meetings before they went forward and built the new Dudy Noble Field. That was very smart to get with the fans and have an open and respectful (at least mine in Jackson was respectful not sure about anywhere else) forum and just talk about MSU baseball things regarding fan experience and why we needed a new stadium.

I feel like there is an enormous disconnect right now between MSU fans and the athletic department specifically on several different levels. And I think we need to talk about it.

I am not a major booster- I do belong to the BC, I have season tickets, I go to pretty much every home game, I go to most bowls, and I have witnessed MSU play in every current SEC venue and former SEC venue minus Sewanee. I have a degree from MSU. That's my background.

Personally I feel like MSU as an athletic department is kind of going through the motions and kind of doing what worked in 2009 with very little changes. And it has gotten kind of stale.

I feel like the AD feels like our ceiling as a program is lower than what most of the fans believe it could be. And maybe should be. 6-6 was OK in 2007. Should be it be OK now? After several 8 win seasons I don't think it necessarily should be. I feel like we could and should invest more as a program in recruiting, S&C, and when we have coaching changes I think we should set our sights higher and expand to beyond just college coordinators. I feel like our compliance department is out of date and that should be a concern with the new changes that are going to be coming. Ole Miss is going to have every player in a Cannon car commercial and we're going to be self reporting every little thing like it's 1994.

And as far as being a fan- I feel like MSU doesn't really care about what we think or value us that much. For example- the gameday experience. Every year it's a mess at the beginning of the year. Come up with a system that works and if it works don't try to change it. Make sure the metal detectors work. Make sure there is water. Make sure the concessions people are there. Make sure the traffic flow that works is still in place. And then uniforms. Can we really not have an interlocking MSU if we can't buy it back outright? Or at the very least maroon helmets? I get that maybe the players "like" certain things and that's fine and good- but I also think that there needs to be some balance there and that there are some fan friendly things done as well. And then change up some things every year on gameday. Literally there was a video on HailState's youtube channel and the guy doing the gameday stuff was literally copy cut and pasting the script for the video board from one of the games from last year. The video department needs to beef things up too. There needs to be more content and there needs to be some kind of a 15-20 minute MSU football show like Relentless on youtube. If Ole Miss can do that- we should too. I can't tell if the reason for not having one is "we don't have enough money" or "we don't feel like it". Or both. But that's the vibe I get.

Anyway- I think it would be good to talk this stuff out around the state/Region- Starkville, Jackson, Memphis, Tupelo, Greenville, Meridian, and Gulfport/Biloxi at the very least. I want it to be a constructive let's get on the same page and have the best football program that we can be discussion. And how to do it. We need to stop with the "why we can't do that" excuses and figure out how to do it. Right now- personally I feel like we are at least performing 2-4 wins below our actual potential.

Damn Todd, you need to apply for the AD job, or is this just general BITCHING? We aren't at the top of this 3 ring circus, but we are doing a hell of a lot better than we used to! And yes I give money! You Know this board would be a hell of a lot better, if certain people would try to see the positives instead of tuning up their Bitch Mode every time they click on this site!

R2Dawg
11-04-2019, 12:24 PM

A few points around a lot of the feedback from others.

1) I'm fine with a town hall but got to be careful with that it will just become a big grip session. We don't need to air out people issues in open forum either. Not a healthy culture. That can happen behind closed doors. We the fans can on a message board but not by the leadership in open forum.

2) There may be a gap between fans and leadership but they hear and know the feedback. Everybody can't have their idea executed because not everyone agrees. Just because leadership doesn't act on your idea doesn't mean they have not heard you. You can't please everyone all the time and you can't ever please some people. This board reflects that every day. Some folks will not respect other people's opinion if it doesn't agree with theirs. Our fan base is no different that anywhere else in culture where that is true.

I see this same dynamic play out at work every day. Part of leading a group of people. The thing is, the folks not in the know (top of organizations) see and know more of the big picture than any of us care to realize. Not saying they are right all the time but they have to consider all the angles not just a single gripe.

AROB44
11-04-2019, 12:43 PM
What about having a town hall meeting re the band.....Todd could be the chairperson.

DogsofAnarchy
11-04-2019, 12:52 PM

Are they gonna be happy with 5 wins?

Todd4State
11-04-2019, 01:08 PM
Damn Todd, you need to apply for the AD job, or is this just general BITCHING? We aren't at the top of this 3 ring circus, but we are doing a hell of a lot better than we used to! And yes I give money! You Know this board would be a hell of a lot better, if certain people would try to see the positives instead of tuning up their Bitch Mode every time they click on this site!

And yet you BITCH about my posts. Pretty ironic.

I want to improve and do so constructively.

Todd4State
11-04-2019, 01:09 PM
What about having a town hall meeting re the band.....Todd could be the chairperson.

I would invite you but I doubt they would go to nursing homes.

Churchill
11-04-2019, 01:57 PM
Our athletic dept doesn?t believe we can build a high level program. They?re happy with 7 wins til the end of time. That won?t change.

I'm beginning to think you're right and they are now discreetly lowering the bar to bring expectations back the old MSU standards. I don't like what I see.

Cooterpoot
11-04-2019, 02:02 PM
Are they gonna be happy with 5 wins?

Won’t surprise me either way. We should never accept less than 6 wins. And we should be unhappy about less than 7. But where’s that $2M+ we’re saving on a coach salary? We’re missing out on about another half to a million in beer sales. We don’t try to do things to make/raise money and we don’t market our program anymore, so theres some more money we’re wasting somewhere. An extra $3 million in recruiting would help. It’s not a game changer, but it’s help.

AROB44
11-04-2019, 02:47 PM
I would invite you but I doubt they would go to nursing homes.

Touche'.....good one...

Bothrops
11-04-2019, 03:21 PM
Our athletic dept doesn?t believe we can build a high level program. They?re happy with 7 wins til the end of time. That won?t change.

We didn't get serious about the sport until JWS.

Liverpooldawg
11-04-2019, 03:50 PM

correct

RocketDawg
11-04-2019, 03:56 PM

After game traffic tieups are pretty much the standard at every school I've ever been to, particularly in small towns. The last time I went to a game in Tuscaloosa it took 3 hours just to get to I-20/59 after the game was over.

BrunswickDawg
11-04-2019, 04:13 PM
After game traffic tieups are pretty much the standard at every school I've ever been to, particularly in small towns. The last time I went to a game in Tuscaloosa it took 3 hours just to get to I-20/59 after the game was over.

We waited 90 minutes to get out of our lot at the Gator Bowl Saturday after GA/FL. It can be bad at pro stadiums too.

Coursesuper
11-04-2019, 04:23 PM

With the way the system is set up today I tend to believe this. They just use football as a means to an end and use it to fund the other program.

Cooterpoot
11-04-2019, 04:30 PM

You misspelled Greg Byrne.

LC Dawg
11-04-2019, 04:42 PM
Anyone that thinks John Cohen is going to sit in a room with a bunch of us commoners and listen to us talk about how he is doing his job is delusional.

Ari Gold
11-04-2019, 04:58 PM
You misspelled Greg Byrne.

As much as I don’t like the guy but Dan Mullen was a Huge factor in this also along with Greg..

Cooterpoot
11-04-2019, 05:29 PM
With Moorhead staying (barring him negotiating an out for another job) we’ve got to hope someone forces him to hire a new ST coach, OC, and QB Coach. Of course, I suspect we’re hiring 1 or 2 new defensive guys too.

HailStateSZN19
11-04-2019, 05:35 PM
With Moorhead staying (barring him negotiating an out for another job) we’ve got to hope someone forces him to hire a new ST coach, OC, and QB Coach. Of course, I suspect we’re hiring 1 or 2 new defensive guys too.

It sounds that is the more likely scenario than him not being here next year. If we can finish 7-6 & he goes out and hires an exciting OC to take over play calling, a new ST coach, a new S&C coach, and a new QB coach (what does Breiner even do honestly to help our QB’s any? Never see him mentioned anywhere) then I am fine with giving him next year to try and win 8 games because the schedule sets up for that. What defensive guys do you think we end up replacing? And along those lines, with the hiring an OC option seeming more realistic than Joe not being here, who would be some good options to go after to be OC?

IMissJack
11-04-2019, 08:22 PM
There is certainly a disconnect between me and the AD, not sure if townhall would help. We currently do not exhibit any sense of pride or belief in ourselves. It is like the last 10 years never happened, and this is 2008 again, same stupid uniforms, same apathy, etc. At least Byrne and Mullen brought hope that things were going to get better and they did.

TheLostDawg
11-04-2019, 08:44 PM
Won’t surprise me either way. We should never accept less than 6 wins. And we should be unhappy about less than 7. But where’s that $2M+ we’re saving on a coach salary? We’re missing out on about another half to a million in beer sales. We don’t try to do things to make/raise money and we don’t market our program anymore, so theres some more money we’re wasting somewhere. An extra $3 million in recruiting would help. It’s not a game changer, but it’s help.

This

TheLostDawg
11-04-2019, 08:44 PM
It sounds that is the more likely scenario than him not being here next year. If we can finish 7-6 & he goes out and hires an exciting OC to take over play calling, a new ST coach, a new S&C coach, and a new QB coach (what does Breiner even do honestly to help our QB’s any? Never see him mentioned anywhere) then I am fine with giving him next year to try and win 8 games because the schedule sets up for that. What defensive guys do you think we end up replacing? And along those lines, with the hiring an OC option seeming more realistic than Joe not being here, who would be some good options to go after to be OC?

Joe Brady knows Joe offense, learned under Shawn Payton. Only makes 400k I believe.

HailStateSZN19
11-04-2019, 09:08 PM
Joe Brady knows Joe offense, learned under Shawn Payton. Only makes 400k I believe.

LSU ain’t letting him go anywhere. Especially not to a team in the same division as them. They’ll match whatever we could offer and then some to keep him. Not sure who else would be a good fit that knows Joe’s style/system but hiring an OC definitely needs to be one of the staff changes this offseason.

TheLostDawg
11-04-2019, 10:21 PM
LSU ain’t letting him go anywhere. Especially not to a team in the same division as them. They’ll match whatever we could offer and then some to keep him. Not sure who else would be a good fit that knows Joe’s style/system but hiring an OC definitely needs to be one of the staff changes this offseason.

True but he'll at least get OC status at State. He'd certainly be a one and done if he came and got us on track.

MagicDawg
11-04-2019, 10:32 PM
The obvious solution is for each fan, coach, and administrator to write himself or herself a letter about why we have a football program. **

Todd4State
11-04-2019, 11:27 PM

But at the same time the only way that I can see them keeping him really is for them to fire their current OC who is one of Orgeron's best friends. That's just not going to happen. They can match pay but I don't think they can match upward mobility. Not without it being awkward.

BrunswickDawg
11-05-2019, 08:33 AM

But has Joe Brady actually Coached anything? That's where I would be hesitant with a guy like him - he has virtually no coaching experience. It is one thing to call plays, design schemes, and analyze your opponent - it is a totally different world then what you need to do is teach techniques to 20 year olds and run practices.

Cooterpoot
11-05-2019, 12:24 PM
But has Joe Brady actually Coached anything? That's where I would be hesitant with a guy like him - he has virtually no coaching experience. It is one thing to call plays, design schemes, and analyze your opponent - it is a totally different world then what you need to do is teach techniques to 20 year olds and run practices.

Brady>Breiner

BrunswickDawg
11-05-2019, 01:43 PM
Brady>Breiner

If you are looking at play calling - no doubt. I still don't know that I would hire him as an OC and expect him to build a staff and teach his system based of of his experience level. There is nothing showing me that he could do it. Can he? Possibly. Can you take that risk? He could be Lane Kiffin, but he could be an offensive version of Peter Sirmon.

TheLostDawg
11-05-2019, 02:11 PM
If you are looking at play calling - no doubt. I still don't know that I would hire him as an OC and expect him to build a staff and teach his system based of of his experience level. There is nothing showing me that he could do it. Can he? Possibly. Can you take that risk? He could be Lane Kiffin, but he could be an offensive version of Peter Sirmon.

What we need is someone to adjust Moorhead's offense. We have talented coaches elsewhere. Maybe make him ST coach and offensive coordinator and get a good QB coach to replace Breiner. This probably isn't the best idea but there are ways to get him over here as OC and have a staff that coaches guys up. I'd rather have a well rounded staff than having a bunch of hit and misses.

Todd4State
11-05-2019, 03:17 PM

It’s still going to be Moorehead’s offense. But someone like Brady can help adjust it and add to it to make it better. It depends on the set up of the staff. Honestly the thing that makes the most sense to me would be to move Hughes to ST or see if one of the other offensive assistants at the skill positions move on after the year and let Brady be the OC/whatever position coach.