PDA

View Full Version : MSU Special Teams by the Numbers

ShotgunDawg
11-03-2019, 09:17 PM
Ok, good win this weekend but it's pretty obvious that we are horrific on special teams to anyone that has watched us.

So exactly how bad are we?

Here are our national rankings compared in Arkansas, who is the worst team in the history of SEC football & has absolutely no talent. Let's see how we stack up:

Punt returns - MSU: 88, Arkansas: 34

Opponent Punt returns - MSU: 94, Arkansas: 26

Kickoff returns - MSU: 110, Arkansas: 97

Opponent kick returns - MSU: 54, Arkansas: 18

Punting - MSU: 42, Arkansas: 108

Field Goals - MSU - 64, Arkansas: 38

Kick/Punts blocked - MSU: NR, Ark: NR

Kickoffs: MSU - 109, Arkansas - 67

Opponent Kick offs - MSU: 127, Arkansas: 10

So, here's an idea that I'll charge no fee for. Fire the 17 out of Joey Jones & hire Chad Morris or whomever is handling the special teams for Arkansas once they get fired in a month.

To all those that say Tutor gate has killed our special teams, are you saying that Arkansas has more talent than us currently on special teams? Did you watch the game yesterday?

We easily have the worst coached special teams in America & it may not be close

https://media0.giphy.com/media/DsdVe5jhHWNC8/giphy.gif

KOdawg1
11-03-2019, 09:25 PM
What gets me is that we seem to forget the rule that allows us to fair catch the ball inside the 20 and it be considered the same thing as a touch back. Hell, we should do that on every kick off. We are awful at bringing the ball out. I can't remember the last time MSU returned a kickoff for a TD.

Joey Jones needs to go. There hasn't been one game where our STs haven't had a boneheaded blunder (or two or six)

ShotgunDawg
11-03-2019, 09:28 PM
What gets me is that we seem to forget the rule that allows us to fair catch the ball inside the 20 and it be considered the same thing as a touch back. Hell, we should do that on every kick off. We are awful at bringing the ball out. I can't remember the last time MSU returned a kickoff for a TD.

Joey Jones needs to go. There hasn't been one game where our STs haven't had a boneheaded blunder (or two or six)

It's an abortion of a unit. I have no explanation as to how the players can't coach themselves, with no supervision, better than Joey Jones has

Todd4State
11-03-2019, 09:36 PM
I don't understand why we try to return everything that isn't five yards deep in the end zone either.

And then on our kickoffs- the stats show that kicking off high and short trying to force a return is what you "want to do"- but our coverage units are so terrible it makes no sense for us to do anything but kick touchbacks. Of course we don't adjust.

At any rate- I'm not worried about special teams not being corrected in the offseason as far as coaching changes go after Moorhead basically called Jones out at halftime on TV. It's fairly safe to assume that at the very least we are getting a new ST coach and S&C guy.

ShotgunDawg
11-03-2019, 09:39 PM
I don't understand why we try to return everything that isn't five yards deep in the end zone either.

Well... it would take actual coaching for the players to realize that returning the ball wasn't such a great idea, but ....... Again, that would require coaching

Ari Gold
11-03-2019, 09:45 PM
Worse team in the history of the SEC is ridiculous statement
They aren’t even close to that.
Yes they aren’t good, but they almost beat Texas AM and Kentucky.

You don’t even have to post numbers , even this they don’t lie, anyone that has watched us this year knows how bad we are on special teams..
it actually cost us the Kstate game

ShotgunDawg
11-03-2019, 09:48 PM
Worse team in the history of the SEC is ridiculous statement
They aren’t even close to that.
Yes they aren’t good, but they almost beat Texas AM and Kentucky.

Man.... IDK. That team that took the field yesterday is the worst SEC I've ever seen & their record backs that up.

Perhaps they played better in other games, but but I didn't watch those.

However, perhaps I am wrong because with apparently no talent, they out class our special teams by a good margin

confucius say
11-03-2019, 10:27 PM
For the love of all that is holy, please just fair catch the kickoffs. We suck at returning them, and that is if we don?t fumble them or drop them.

ShotgunDawg
11-04-2019, 06:23 AM
For the love of all that is holy, please just fair catch the kickoffs. We suck at returning them, and that is if we don?t fumble them or drop them.

Again, that would require coaching

1bigdawg
11-04-2019, 07:08 AM
To add: Last year's special teams were horrible also. It is not just the TutorGate 10 because we were at full strength last year.

WPS
11-04-2019, 12:48 PM
I mean all you need to have good special teams really is a good kicker and a good returner. It doesn't necessarily take that much talent. Arkansas' special teams early last year were awful and we started putting some defensive starters there and it got a lot better as the season went on. Our punting is still bad.

We do have a good kicker and the guy returning punts (and kicks after Warren got hurt) was a borderline 5* WR recruit so he's definitely a talented freshman. Unfortunately we can't seem to get him the ball on offense due to OL and QB issues.

defiantdog
11-04-2019, 01:06 PM
There are some past Vandy teams that are Worse than Arky, joker?s last season as coach of Kentucky was worse, brad Scott and Sparky Woods were pretty bad at USC..... in other words, this Arky team isn?t the worse, they?ve just given up.

KentuckyDawg13
11-04-2019, 01:31 PM
Did you see the 1988 MSU team? 1-10 record, by far worse team than Ark.

ShotgunDawg
11-04-2019, 01:33 PM
Did you see the 1988 MSU team? 1-10 record, by far worse team than Ark.

No. Didn’t see that team

Jack Lambert
11-04-2019, 07:06 PM
On kick off why doesn't he just kick it into the End Zone? He can do it. No one is calling for a fair catch it that is what he's trying to do. Special Teams have been bad and has put our defense in some bad spots.