PDA

View Full Version : Pumped for Basketball

MoreCowbell
11-03-2019, 02:56 PM
PG- Nick Weatherspoon- Junior, top 30 4/5star(2 years playing/starting)

SG- Tyson Carter, Senior, top 100 4 star(3 years playing/starting)

SF- Robert Woodard, Sophomore, top 60 4 star(1 year playing/starting)

PF- Reggie Perry, Sophomore, top 30 4/5 Star, Mcdonald?s AA(1 year playing/starting)

C- Abdul Ado, Senior, top 100 4 star(3 years playing/starting)

Great mix of Jr/Sr veteran leadership and experience with extremely talented Sophmores coming into their second year.

-Hard nosed, talented, experienced PG who can set the tone defensively and can distribute well enough, drive to the basket and also has a great midrange game.

-Senior SG that has made many big shots and has seen and knows what the SEC is about. Has gotten better every year.

-Talented, do it all, jack of all trades SF who works hard rebounding, defense, can hit the 3 and also has a good midrange game. Woodard is a vital piece of this team. Plays with high energy and very smart player.

-Super talented possible early first round draft pick PF who has the ability to take over a game. Hit Freshman wall last year but this should be his breakout year especially after seeing him play this Summer.

-Senior C with high motor, hustle, works for his rebounds and is not concerned with scoring just doing his job and gives maximum effort every possession. Perfect complimentary piece to our scoring PF.

This starting 5 has the perfect mix and combination of things a basketball team needs to be successful. We have some Experience coming off the bench downlow with Datcher and Feazell and ultra talented guards in Stewart and Molinar. How our bench plays and how the younger guys develops is the difference in making a run and I think this team has all the ingredients that it takes.

As good as Q was last year I think we relied on him too much at times, this year we will need everyone to do their thing and they know their roles and will be able to play better as a unit IMO. Really looking forward to Basketball season and think this could be a special year.

msbulldog
11-03-2019, 05:22 PM
Me too!

CovertDawg
11-03-2019, 05:50 PM
When Nick is eligible again, this group most resembles Howland's teams at Pitt. Might not always be the most pretty basketball but physical, muscular guys who will get after it. If they still allowed teams to be physical on defense then I would be even more optimistic but I still like this team.

MoreCowbell
11-03-2019, 06:33 PM
When Nick is eligible again, this group most resembles Howland's teams at Pitt. Might not always be the most pretty basketball but physical, muscular guys who will get after it. If they still allowed teams to be physical on defense then I would be even more optimistic but I still like this team.

Yea I think with Nick being out to start we might stumble out of the gates but will get progressively better as the year goes along. Plus we will get some other guys like Molinar and Stewart some needed experience while he is out.

gtowndawg
11-03-2019, 06:41 PM
Same here. I'm excited for basketball.

WSOPdawg
11-03-2019, 07:02 PM
Good opening analysis. Are the below averages realistic for this year's team?

STARTERS (65 ppg)
- Nick (14 ppg, 4.5 apg)
- Tyson (15 ppg)
- Woodard (12 ppg / 6 rpg / 3 apg)
- Reggie (16 ppg / 10 rpg)
- Ado (8 ppg / 8 rpg / 3.5 blocks)

OFF THE BENCH (22 ppg)
- Molinar (6 ppg)
- DJ Stewart (8 ppg)
- Datcher/Oduro (8 ppg combined, 6 rpg)

That's 87 points per game. I know CBH likes to let the guys push the pace, but is this realistic cuz 87 points will win a lot of games? Defensively, we should be strong on the perimeter, Ado at the 5 should be a plus and there won't be many ppl pushing Perry or Woodard around.

Somebody help me temper these wooly expectations, because I've been burned too many times in the past.

OLJWales
11-03-2019, 07:17 PM
Pumped and excited to get it started UH Gain.

Sorry to be a Debbie Downer, but I've had my guts punched too many times with Howland.

Gonna stay in MO Mood till they show me they can make an ounce of noise in the big dance. Their last game still gives me flatulence and irritable bowel syndrome.

MCsMGs
11-03-2019, 07:30 PM
Wow!!! It took seven posts before we got a "woe is me" and/or "Howland sucks" post!

Given that the average for the last several years has been 3-4, I'm thinking we're starting on a positive note!

OLJWales
11-03-2019, 07:51 PM
Wow!!! It took seven posts before we got a "woe is me" and/or "Howland sucks" post!

Given that the average for the last several years has been 3-4, I'm thinking we're starting on a positive note!

How many years has he been here? How many big dance wins does he have since being here? Is that no longer our measuring stick? How much longer do we wait while lower ranked classes compete in the big dance while we (with our highly ranked classes) continue to blow double digit leads to the likes of Liberty in the big dance?

Time to shit or get off the pot. Please save this post cuz I'd love to eat it during early 2020.

Ari Gold
11-03-2019, 08:23 PM
How many years has he been here? How many big dance wins does he have since being here? Is that no longer our measuring stick? How much longer do we wait while lower ranked classes compete in the big dance while we (with our highly ranked classes) continue to blow double digit leads to the likes of Liberty in the big dance?

Time to shit or get off the pot. Please save this post cuz I'd love to eat it during early 2020.

Would have been the perfect post if you had just added Fire Joe...

Yeah the Big Dance Wins measuring stick... That stick is pretty small here at MSU.. Haven’t been to the sweet 16 since what 96.. ??
but yeah let’s bitch and moan about improving every year since CBH has been here..
enjoy the season...

MoreCowbell
11-03-2019, 08:31 PM

STARTERS (65 ppg)
- Nick (14 ppg, 4.5 apg)
- Tyson (15 ppg)

OFF THE BENCH (22 ppg)
- Molinar (6 ppg)
- DJ Stewart (8 ppg)

That's 87 points per game. I know CBH likes to let the guys push the pace, but is this realistic cuz 87 points will win a lot of games? Defensively, we should be strong on the perimeter, Ado at the 5 should be a plus and there won't be many ppl pushing Perry or Woodard around.

wouldn’t surprise me. We will be really good on the boards and will win in a different way than we have in the past under Holland IMO.

somebodyshotmypaw
11-03-2019, 08:57 PM
Ado is classified as a redshirt junior. Not a senior.

MCsMGs
11-03-2019, 09:31 PM

Just pumpin' in a little sunshine, brotha!!!

Come out from under that dark cloud...there's a whole 'nother world out there!

Ifyouonlyknew
11-03-2019, 09:57 PM

He took over a program that had won 13 SEC games total the last 3 years. He's improved every year his 4 years here. He has us on equal or better footing than the program has been since 2007 or 08. If you're upset about that Liberty loss last year you likely haven't been happy with MSU basketball since 1996. Stan's won 4 NCAA games in 14 years.

msbulldog
11-04-2019, 06:11 AM
Pumped and excited to get it started UH Gain.

Sorry to be a Debbie Downer, but I've had my guts punched too many times with Howland.

Gonna stay in MO Mood till they show me they can make an ounce of noise in the big dance. Their last game still gives me flatulence and irritable bowel syndrome.

Take a Prilosec.

timotheus
11-04-2019, 07:51 AM
mite be PMS......

BeardoMSU
11-04-2019, 08:13 AM
He took over a program that had won 13 SEC games total the last 3 years. He's improved every year his 4 years here. He has us on equal or better footing than the program has been since 2007 or 08. If you're upset about that Liberty loss last year you likely haven't been happy with MSU basketball since 1996. Stan's won 4 NCAA games in 14 years.

You forgot to mention all those SEC West Banners....thought you'd sneak that by, eh?***

MoreCowbell
11-04-2019, 09:42 AM
My prediction is 12-1 OOC, 12-6 in SEC. 24-7 overall and a 4 seed in NCAA.

BrunswickDawg
11-04-2019, 10:29 AM

I've yet to understand the Howland hate. By the end of season 3, he had us back to where we have been the majority of the past 3 decades - a decent SEC bubble team that with a run could make some noise. I think this is the season he pays off with a nice NCAA run.

Tbonewannabe
11-04-2019, 10:41 AM
I've yet to understand the Howland hate. By the end of season 3, he had us back to where we have been the majority of the past 3 decades - a decent SEC bubble team that with a run could make some noise. I think this is the season he pays off with a nice NCAA run.

The SEC is also a lot more competitive from top to bottom now than it has been at any time in history. There used to be 5-6 teams that had a chance at being good and now that is probably 10. Just like the money has improved the football programs, the same can be said for basketball.

ZedFedder
11-04-2019, 10:48 AM
I think 87 PPG is unrealistic. Last year Gonzaga lead the country with 87.6 PPG. Second was Belmont with 86.9, and NC was third with 85.8. I think 77 PPG is much more realistic and still might be high. I predict about 74 PPG.

Choctaw Dawg
11-04-2019, 11:22 AM
I think 87 PPG is unrealistic. Last year Gonzaga lead the country with 87.6 PPG. Second was Belmont with 86.9, and NC was third with 85.8. I think 77 PPG is much more realistic and still might be high. I predict about 74 PPG.

And we should have a good defense, so 74 ppg should sustain us if we really do have a good defense

BB30
11-04-2019, 11:27 AM

A lot of fans on here have extremely unrealistic expectations. It is championship or bust for them and they can't see the improvement nor do they want to admit that we were in the desert for a decade or more. They all think that the basketball team should have been a 2 year rebuild and that we should have consistently made sweet 16 appearances the last 3 years.

Anyone unhappy with Howland is an idiot point blank. What he has done for our basketball program despite the absolute lack of support at games etc is pretty amazing. How he is selling recruits on coming here to play in front of 500 people is rather impressive.

Choctaw Dawg
11-04-2019, 11:39 AM
A lot of fans on here have extremely unrealistic expectations. It is championship or bust for them and they can't see the improvement nor do they want to admit that we were in the desert for a decade or more. They all think that the basketball team should have been a 2 year rebuild and that we should have consistently made sweet 16 appearances the last 3 years.

Anyone unhappy with Howland is an idiot point blank. What he has done for our basketball program despite the absolute lack of support at games etc is pretty amazing. How he is selling recruits on coming here to play in front of 500 people is rather impressive.

Exactly, our fans act like we should be a sweet 16 team every year when we've only been to the sweet sixteen (3?) times. Best this program should shoot for is being a tourney team every year and we are finally back to that after being in the bottom for ten years

MaroonFlounder
11-04-2019, 11:58 AM
I got put in timeout here and called a troll for saying something bad about Ben Howland, so I will keep my comments to myself.

Homedawg
11-04-2019, 12:31 PM

STARTERS (65 ppg)
- Nick (14 ppg, 4.5 apg)
- Tyson (15 ppg)

OFF THE BENCH (22 ppg)
- Molinar (6 ppg)
- DJ Stewart (8 ppg)

Somebody help me temper these wooly expectations, because I've been burned too many times in the past.

we aren't going to avg 87 pts. that's way too high.

R2Dawg
11-04-2019, 12:42 PM
we aren't going to avg 87 pts. that's way too high.

Bench scoring is way too high. 75ish would be about right.

Liverpooldawg
11-04-2019, 03:02 PM
Replacing Q is going to be tough. I'll do as I always do. I'll wait till we play a few games before forming an opinion.

Ari Gold
11-04-2019, 04:48 PM
Replacing Q is going to be tough. I'll do as I always do. I'll wait till we play a few games before forming an opinion.

Q was a top 5 -8 all time player here.. He won’t be replaced. Just need someone to step up and make big shots At big times..
This team top to bottom is more talented and athletic than last years..

Political Hack
11-04-2019, 11:29 PM

If an early exit from the ncaa tournament is his floor, people better smile and enjoy it for a while. Been a rough decade or so.

smootness
11-05-2019, 10:10 AM

STARTERS (65 ppg)
- Nick (14 ppg, 4.5 apg)
- Tyson (15 ppg)

OFF THE BENCH (22 ppg)
- Molinar (6 ppg)
- DJ Stewart (8 ppg)

Gonzaga led the nation at 87.6 ppg last year....so no, that is probably not realistic for us.

We scored 77/game last year and lost the only 2 players who averaged over 10 ppg. I could see our offense still putting up a similar number of points, but 4 guys with 12+ ppg? Not a chance, IMO.

Scared_Hitless
11-05-2019, 10:35 AM
I am just excited to see Perry and Woodard play again. We are going to be a very athletic team that is fun to watch. That is enough for me, I think we make the NCAA and have a fun season. I think we have some head scratchers with Howland but he has taken this team from the literal bottom of the barrel and made us respectable again. He has built a nice program after RRay burned it to the studs.

We will fair decent OOC without Nick and hopefully make a fun run in the SEC with him. TN and KY are probably to much at this juncture but you never know. Also this team is going to be easy to root for as I believe the majority of the fanbase had mixed reactions on Lamar the last few years.

Ari Gold
11-05-2019, 10:42 AM
If an early exit from the ncaa tournament is his floor, people better smile and enjoy it for a while. Been a rough decade or so.

Agree.... Haven’t been to a sweet 16 since 1996... But those 9-7 western division championship years..
I will see your Liberty 12 seed and raise you a Butler 13 seed.....

Is this the same CBH that was at UCLA , prob not... is he the best men’s college basketball coach to be here.. Yes
Resumes don’t lie...

Ari Gold
11-05-2019, 10:48 AM
I am just excited to see Perry and Woodard play again. We are going to be a very athletic team that is fun to watch. That is enough for me, I think we make the NCAA and have a fun season. I think we have some head scratchers with Howland but he has taken this team from the literal bottom of the barrel and made us respectable again. He has built a nice program after RRay burned it to the studs.

We will fair decent OOC without Nick and hopefully make a fun run in the SEC with him. TN and KY are probably to much at this juncture but you never know. Also this team is going to be easy to root for as I believe the majority of the fanbase had mixed reactions on Lamar the last few years.

Agree.
Every team in college hoops ( men’s ) have head scratchers .. multiple head scratches throughout the season . It’s not the same game as women’s hoops. Not even close.
and maybe you are correct with the Lamar situation.
But the Ravern Johnson, Kodi Augusta , Gary Ervin, and Ro Sydney teams had butts in seats..
it’s time to show back up..

StateDawg44
11-05-2019, 11:14 AM
How many games will Nick have to sit out?

Ari Gold
11-05-2019, 11:19 AM

10... unless he double parks at the Mize Center and Bracky adds 5 extra games...

Ari Gold
11-05-2019, 11:19 AM

10... unless he double parks at the Mize Center and Bracky adds 5 extra games...

Scared_Hitless
11-05-2019, 11:49 AM
Agree.
Every team in college hoops ( men’s ) have head scratchers .. multiple head scratches throughout the season . It’s not the same game as women’s hoops. Not even close.
and maybe you are correct with the Lamar situation.
But the Ravern Johnson, Kodi Augusta , Gary Ervin, and Ro Sydney teams had butts in seats..
it’s time to show back up..

This is true I hope we have fan support this season with the seating changes. This team deserves a packed house at minimum for conference games. Guess we see who shows up tonight

msbulldog
11-05-2019, 12:22 PM
HAIL STATE! SUPPORT THEM!

MCsMGs
11-05-2019, 01:25 PM

LOL!!!

I'm glad that some of our fans still have a sense of humor....

MCsMGs
11-05-2019, 01:32 PM
This is true I hope we have fan support this season with the seating changes. This team deserves a packed house at minimum for conference games. Guess we see who shows up tonight

I'll be there!

Looking at the schedule, I only see one home game that I will absolutely have to miss. Road games on my schedule right now include Myrtle Beach, Bama, LSU, Ole Miss and SEC tourney. Looking to add Arky, Kentucky or Florida if I can.