PDA

View Full Version : Wide receivers for everyone else in college football...

RougeDawg
11-02-2019, 10:20 PM
Why does it look like almost every single other team in the ncaa has better receivers than we do. Ever game I?ve tuned into today and other weeks, the teams have 1-3 receivers who actually run good routes, get separation and make plays on the ball. And they catch the ball. We cannot be recruiting any worse at this position than some of these lower tier teams.

So what is it? The WR position has been a liability for many years across multiple coaches. You cannot blame recruiting. Why are we so bad at this position? It truly is hard to explain.

ShotgunDawg
11-02-2019, 10:33 PM
A couple things:

- You watch us more than anyone else & thus see our mistakes more. We all do it.

- We lack speed at WR, which makes everything look contested. If you watch video on many of our commits, Moorhead appears to be updating the speed.

RougeDawg
11-02-2019, 10:37 PM
A couple things:

- You watch us more than anyone else & thus see our mistakes more. We all do it.

- We lack speed at WR, which makes everything look contested. If you watch video on many of our commits, Moorhead appears to be updating the speed.

You have some valid points but I have watched us less this year than any year in about 30 years. I?m talking about the trend of lesser than average WR play that we have had for a long damn time.

I?d trade our WR group for just about any other FCS team in America. I?m not sure any of our guys could start for Memphis, SMU and most other AAC teams. Tulane has better ball hawks at the WR position than we do. That is inexcusable. We have to be doing something different to continue to get the results we keep getting.

Todd4State
11-02-2019, 10:54 PM
Guidry is a four star bust. Osiris was a major project. Deddrick was a three star guy who really is more of punt returner.

Until we get legit four star guys in like Heath we are going to struggle. Dan wanted receivers that weren’t going to be recruiting issues and you see what that produced. At least they have improved IMO. Not great but at least headed in the right direction.

DogsofAnarchy
11-02-2019, 10:57 PM
Why does it look like almost every single other team in the ncaa has better receivers than we do. Ever game I?ve tuned into today and other weeks, the teams have 1-3 receivers who actually run good routes, get separation and make plays on the ball. And they catch the ball. We cannot be recruiting any worse at this position than some of these lower tier teams.

So what is it? The WR position has been a liability for many years across multiple coaches. You cannot blame recruiting. Why are we so bad at this position? It truly is hard to explain.

Because their schemes are better than ours. Bottom line.

Todd4State
11-02-2019, 10:59 PM
Because their schemes are better than ours. Bottom line.

We run the same pass routes every other team does. And these guys sucked in Dan’s scheme too.

Irondawg
11-03-2019, 12:39 AM
Dan wanted guys that would block. Fred Ross was the best guy we’ve had but I’ll also say that facing sec secondaries is also different. Memphis couldn’t get 200 yards in the air against ole miss for example.

I will agree that we have lacked explosive guys at wr but the state hasn’t been producing a ton of them either. When it does we seem to miss on them

tcdog70
11-03-2019, 10:50 AM
The day we signed Guidry. I posted He was vastly over rated. He is soft and his hands are stone. if you watched any film on Him it was easy to see. He will catch about 1 out of 3 targets to Him. Everyone loves Heath but his numbers at Co-Lin aren't that impressive. He has caught 60 passes in 2 years. I would think a #1wr at MSU should catch 60 passes in a season.

dawgs
11-03-2019, 11:23 AM
Our WRs have consistently been our weakest position group since Eric moulds was on campus.

DogsofAnarchy
11-03-2019, 11:32 AM
We run the same pass routes every other team does. And these guys sucked in Dan’s scheme too.

No we don’t. And play calling determines when a guy is open a lot of times.

Tbonewannabe
11-03-2019, 11:32 AM
Dan wanted guys that would block. Fred Ross was the best guy we’ve had but I’ll also say that facing sec secondaries is also different. Memphis couldn’t get 200 yards in the air against ole miss for example.

I will agree that we have lacked explosive guys at wr but the state hasn’t been producing a ton of them either. When it does we seem to miss on them

UM has gotten every single quality WR out of high school for the last forever. Mullen didn't like diva attitudes which eliminates most WRs. It will be interesting if we can get some of these guys like Mingo last year under Moorhead.

CovertDawg
11-03-2019, 01:24 PM
Heard Kirby say after the game Florida has 4 NFL receivers if you include the Tight End. Think about that, Dan never once coached an NFL Receiver in 9 years at MSU. It is a riddle that must be solved at MSU

Bothrops
11-03-2019, 02:42 PM
We will be in trouble at WR next year.

Cowbell
11-03-2019, 02:56 PM

What else is new...?

msugolf
11-03-2019, 02:57 PM

This staff hasn't addressed our wr needs at all. Which is especially concerning since this offense is primarily based around big plays in the passing department.

Bothrops
11-03-2019, 04:52 PM
What else is new...?

We have several contributors this year, next year we won't.

Percho
11-03-2019, 10:11 PM
Guidry is a four star bust. Osiris was a major project. Deddrick was a three star guy who really is more of punt returner.

Until we get legit four star guys in like Heath we are going to struggle. Dan wanted receivers that weren’t going to be recruiting issues and you see what that produced. At least they have improved IMO. Not great but at least headed in the right direction.

AJ may have told the truth.

Todd4State
11-03-2019, 10:24 PM
No we don’t. And play calling determines when a guy is open a lot of times.

And what routes do we run that other teams don't which get people open?

When we're 8th in the SEC in completion percentage and 12th in yards that tells me exactly what the problem is.

And BTW in 2017 we were dead last in both completion percentage and yards. So believe it or not- we've improved. No one wants to hear it and it in no way means I think Joe should be back- but it's true.

Todd4State
11-03-2019, 10:25 PM
AJ may have told the truth.

It sounded to me like he told half truths. The Dodge Charger told me more about the "truth" there.

It's going to be interesting to see how Bracky deals with the upcoming changes in college football.

War Machine Dawg
11-03-2019, 11:26 PM
Our WRs have consistently been our weakest position group since Eric moulds was on campus.

Not fair. I’d kill for the group of Terrell Grindle, Kevin Cooper, Kevin Prentiss and Kelvin Love we had in ‘98. That group could ball.