PDA

View Full Version : You Need To Read This!

msbulldog
11-01-2019, 12:16 PM
STARKVILLE ? Why?

It's probably the English language's most powerful one-word question. Almost anything can be elucidated by asking it. Think about how many times it's subconsciously queried in everyday life.

Why did he do this? Why did she do that?

Now think about how effectual it can be when asked with intent to elicit a stirring response.

Why wake up at 5 a.m. to strenuously lift weights only to head back to the football facility in the afternoon for a punishing practice? Why sacrifice summers with wearying workouts instead of going on vivacious vacations to far away places?

In the midst of a four-game losing streak that has Mississippi State fans calling for his job, MSU head coach Joe Moorhead sat his players down Sunday, one day after a 19-point defeat at Texas A&M, and asked them to write him a letter.

Sep 7, 2019; Starkville, MS, USA; Mississippi State Bulldogs head coach Joe Moorhead greets fans after the game against the Southern Miss Golden Eagles at Davis Wade Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Matt Bush-USA TODAY Sports
Sep 7, 2019; Starkville, MS, USA; Mississippi State Bulldogs head coach Joe Moorhead greets fans after the game against the Southern Miss Golden Eagles at Davis Wade Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Matt Bush-USA TODAY Sports (Photo: Matt Bush, Matt Bush-USA TODAY Sports)

The prompt was simple: Why do you play football?

"Throughout the course of the season, you're always looking for different ways to motivate the guys and keep them encouraged," Moorhead said. "There's a lot of people in their lives and throughout their journey to get to the SEC through high school and Pop Warner that they owe a debt of gratitude to and who they feel close to.

"You just kind of want to remember that it's something you should keep in perspective."

'Everything I do, I do it for her'
Junior cornerback Korey Charles, who is in line for serious playing time this week against Arkansas because of injuries to senior Maurice Smitherman, junior Cameron Dantzler and freshman Jarrian Jones, was instantly struck with emotional introspection when Moorhead explained the enterprise.

"As soon as he said that, I kind of immediately thought about what my reason was," Charles said. "My passion, who I play for, why I do it. I thought of meaningful things in my head as soon as he said it."

Charles plays football for his mom, who is the one person he returns home to when he's not required to be on campus. He does not have any siblings, and his father is not in the picture.

Charles wants to make it to the NFL like most football players his age. But if he doesn't, he said he'll fall back on the education he's getting at Mississippi State to "do right by [his] mom."

"It's just me and her," Charles said. "That's my only family. Everything I do, I do it for her."

'I feel like I can be able to bless my family'
Some players' "whys" were as simple as loving to play football from an early age. That's what senior center Darryl Williams said. Others, like Charles, had much deeper reasons.

Senior safety Brian Cole was one of those.

"First and foremost, it's God," Cole said. "He's given me the talents and the abilities to play. But it's also my family. Because of God and the talents, I feel like I can be able to bless my family. Maybe one day I'll turn it into generational wealth."

Oct 12, 2019; Knoxville, TN, USA; Mississippi State Bulldogs safety Brian Cole II (32) intercepts a pass in the endzone against Tennessee Volunteers wide receiver Josh Palmer (5) during the second quarter at Neyland Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Randy Sartin-USA TODAY Sports
Oct 12, 2019; Knoxville, TN, USA; Mississippi State Bulldogs safety Brian Cole II (32) intercepts a pass in the endzone against Tennessee Volunteers wide receiver Josh Palmer (5) during the second quarter at Neyland Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Randy Sartin-USA TODAY Sports (Photo: Randy Sartin, Randy Sartin-USA TODAY Sports)

Cole's redshirt junior season was disrupted by a shoulder injury. He only played in five games, but he started in four of them and was a major contributor defensively and on special teams.

This year, Cole's last as a collegiate player, he has 46 total tackles and seven tackles for loss. That second statistic leads the team. He has his sights set on the next level, but he's first enjoying his time at Mississippi State. Moorhead's exercise has helped him do that this week.

"I'm just taking it all in and seeing why I really came this far," Cole said. "What made me come this far? There's a lot going on and it's crazy that this is my last year, but my 'why' will always be the same. It's family and God. I feel like I wouldn't be playing this game, I feel like I wouldn't still be healthy or things would never have worked out the way they did without God and my family."

'You want a coach that cares about you beyond football'
Junior linebacker and team captain Erroll Thompson said Moorhead's exercise did two beneficial things.

First, "it kind of just changed everybody's mindset."

Auburn quarterback Bo Nix (10) pump fakes Mississippi State linebacker Erroll Thompson (40) at Jordan-Hare Stadium in Auburn, Ala., on Saturday, Sept. 28, 2019. Auburn defeated Mississippi State 56-23.
Auburn quarterback Bo Nix (10) pump fakes Mississippi State linebacker Erroll Thompson (40) at Jordan-Hare Stadium in Auburn, Ala., on Saturday, Sept. 28, 2019. Auburn defeated Mississippi State 56-23. (Photo: Jake Crandall)

Mississippi State is a loss away from completely letting the season spiral out of control. Players are aware of that, which can weigh them down and cause heaping amounts of stress. It's not easy to play the game with added pressure, and Moorhead aided in alleviating some of that.

It should be easy, though, playing the game when you feel connected and bound to the people you're playing it for. Many Bulldogs are playing for their families and their faith. All of them are playing for their head coach.

Thompson, whose "why" is his father and mother, said the letter exercise put the team's situation into perspective and brought them closer to Moorhead at a time when unity is of the utmost importance.

Thompson said Moorhead is "a guy we want leading us, for sure."

"It kind of just let's you know that our head coach cares about us beyond ball," Thompson said. "A lot of coaches say that, but I feel like coach Moorhead is a guy that really means that. A lot of people don't really see that. In college these days, it kind of goes over a lot of people's head. But it matters. You want a coach that cares about you beyond football."

Todd4State
11-01-2019, 12:34 PM
My letter “why” would be directed at John Cohen. As in “why” did you hire Joe Moorhead.

ShotgunDawg
11-01-2019, 12:39 PM
Cool story.

I'll judge by their play on the field, not what they say.

Tbonewannabe
11-01-2019, 01:09 PM
If nothing else, Moorhead is learning that he might have to do things differently at this level. If he learns and adapts then this season could be beneficial to him. The problem at this level is that everything is faster. The learning curve is steep and you don't have a lot of time.

Hopefully the team looks better and we actually improve through the end of the year which includes a bowl game. I really would like for Moorhead to figure it out and move the program forward. I just doubt it after a lot of mistakes this year. It seems like he needs a few more years in a lower level or under another head coach similar to Orgeron.

TrapGame
11-01-2019, 02:15 PM
The English major wants them to write a letter. Jesus.

This is why you take them to the Farm. Now we're gonna sit around in a circle and talk about our feelings. Soft.

bobtail bob
11-01-2019, 02:16 PM
It's a contact sport Joe not a dam philosophy class

dantheman4248
11-01-2019, 02:21 PM
Hahahahahhahaahhahahahhahah. I’m sorry but this is crossing the territory into its just comical at this point. If you can’t be good, be entertaining (and get the **** out at the end of the season.) +1 Joe.

Dawgology
11-01-2019, 02:41 PM
Soft soft soft

Dawgology
11-01-2019, 02:43 PM
The only person you should be playing for is yourself. Constantly trying to be that player or person that you want to be. The second you lose focus. The second you start playing for someone else is when you lose a step. This is some weak ass shit.

Really Clark?
11-01-2019, 02:55 PM
This is not a bad tool to use in certain situations or as a pre-season type motivation that will resonate with some players. Intrinsic motivation is the best way overall as extrinsic is unpredictable and usually less effective. Goal setting and writing them out to look at consistently really works with a lot of athletes. I‘m just not sure the “who do you play for” letter technique will do much at this point of the year and I usually find that it has to be internal as well as someone external. To have someone outside that you hold close to want to play well for is good but if the players DO NOT play for the love of the game, the player beside them, for their unit, and the whole team...when you fight with the one beside you it becomes a team. Again, not saying having someone you play for outside of the team is bad at all, just my experience is that the best teams play for themselves and battle together.

TStationDawg
11-01-2019, 03:53 PM
Great!!! How many games will THIS assignment cost us next year?! #tutorgate2.0

dawgday166
11-01-2019, 04:22 PM
Great!!! How many games will THIS assignment cost us next year?! #tutorgate2.0

You see some additional probation due to tutors writing the essays for them ********

Actually, I'm gonna wait and see on this one. Don't think it's what will work but ... I'm gonna wait and watch on it for now.

dawgday166
11-01-2019, 04:25 PM
The English major wants them to write a letter. Jesus.

This is why you take them to the Farm. Now we're gonna sit around in a circle and talk about our feelings. Soft.

This was my first inclination too. I guess we're fixin to find out how well Joe's approach will work.

TheLostDawg
11-01-2019, 04:30 PM
Maybe someone will have some insight and be a leader. That's obviously the problem this year. No one has the Dak mentality and respect to push their fellow players. They are just going through the motions. When the coach has to call a team meeting because the older guys don't, it's sad and shows there is no leadership. Do I understand why Moorhead did this, yes. Will it work, probably not. To me it falls under the category of too little and too late.

TheLostDawg
11-01-2019, 04:33 PM
And I wonder how all those guys in the team say how they love Moorhead on different social media sites yet their lack of effort in school, the weight room, and field are costing Moorhead his job. Seems like they have a friend relationship rather than a coach-player relationship.

Coursesuper
11-01-2019, 04:37 PM
The only person you should be playing for is yourself. Constantly trying to be that player or person that you want to be. The second you lose focus. The second you start playing for someone else is when you lose a step. This is some weak ass shit.

You play your best when play for the guys next to you. I didn?t want to let them down. I feel like part of the problem with this bunch is there is too much me and not enough we.

Jarius
11-01-2019, 04:44 PM
My letter “why” would be directed at John Cohen. As in “why” did you hire Joe Moorhead.

Why he hired him is pretty easy to see. If he loses this weekend my letter would be why is He still our coach though.

DeltaChicagoDog
11-01-2019, 04:52 PM
Was the assignment ‘Why do you play?’ or ‘Who do you play for?’ If the former, maybe for some guys it is intrinsic.

Dawgfan77
11-01-2019, 05:11 PM
Didn?t Freeze do something like this. Two years removed from the gator bowl win. 5 years away from being number one and our moron of a HC asked the team to write a damn letter before a game against the worst P5 team in the country
Cohn. Grow a pair and end this shit

MafiaDawg
11-01-2019, 06:23 PM
I am so tired of hearing sloppy joe yap.

MetEdDawg
11-01-2019, 06:34 PM
I've used this technique in the classroom to motivate kids to do better academically.

Joe using it to try and instill some motivation makes sense. Not sure why folks are bashing this. This generation of kids doesn't get a chance to reflect much on things. A lot of you would be shocked at what kids, when given the chance, will open up about and connect to.

For a team struggling with lack of motivation, beating the piss out of them middle of the season won't do a damn thing. This makes a lot of sense and will hopefully provide some results and unity, which we've been lacking.

Homedawg
11-01-2019, 07:08 PM
If nothing else, Moorhead is learning that he might have to do things differently at this level. If he learns and adapts then this season could be beneficial to him. The problem at this level is that everything is faster. The learning curve is steep and you don't have a lot of time.

Hopefully the team looks better and we actually improve through the end of the year which includes a bowl game. I really would like for Moorhead to figure it out and move the program forward. I just doubt it after a lot of mistakes this year. It seems like he needs a few more years in a lower level or under another head coach similar to Orgeron.

You really think he's gonna change after 20 games of bad? Really. Wow the hopeful

defiantdog
11-01-2019, 07:20 PM
Make them run bleachers for not finishing every play, put the pads on more in practice, teach aggression and not philosophy, make these men hungry, make them earn their spot. An essay? Is that gonna help them fix missed assignments?

DownwardDawg
11-01-2019, 07:42 PM
I've used this technique in the classroom to motivate kids to do better academically.

Joe using it to try and instill some motivation makes sense. Not sure why folks are bashing this. This generation of kids doesn't get a chance to reflect much on things. A lot of you would be shocked at what kids, when given the chance, will open up about and connect to.

For a team struggling with lack of motivation, beating the piss out of them middle of the season won't do a damn thing. This makes a lot of sense and will hopefully provide some results and unity, which we've been lacking.

I agree. I really don’t see an issue with this. Will it work, who knows. It certainly isn’t an issue though.

Tbonewannabe
11-01-2019, 08:13 PM
You really think he's gonna change after 20 games of bad? Really. Wow the hopeful

I don't think he will but it is just hoping if we have him next year then he maybe learns something.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
11-01-2019, 10:14 PM
Do you think there is a chance he still thinks he?s at Fordham? They are maroon as well

MD2020
11-01-2019, 10:31 PM
Jackie Sherill made players right letters similar to this.

tcdog70
11-02-2019, 09:03 AM
Maybe Joe needs to de-nut a Hog.. worked for the Kang.