PDA

View Full Version : 7-6 would mean State wins 4 of our last 5....

MedDawg
10-31-2019, 10:15 AM
You don't think that would ease most fans' minds and bring other doubters back into the fold? Especially if Kansas State and Tennessee continue to win. Not talking about those here who have disliked Moorhead since the UK game last year.

Just like UK and Florida last year, KSU and UT still may turn out better that we thought. I turned on Moorhead after losing to UT, but then UT and KSU have turned out better. Kansas State is 5-2, only losing at Ok State and vs undefeated Baylor, and Kansas State just BEAT #5 Oklahoma. UT started out horrible, but since our game UT has played Bama close and blasted USC.

So part of Moorhead's problem is bad schedule luck/timing--the schedule was much tougher in 2018 than 2017, and right now Mississippi State has played the FOURTH TOUGHEST schedule in the country. Part is injuries/suspensions, which would affect any coach this season.

I still see the disorganization and undisciplined play, so I'm not back to supporting Moorhead, but in no da*n way is Moorhead the worst coach at MSU in the past 50 years. If we could somehow get an accomplished coach, I'd be for replacing Moorhead, but if we were to go 7-6, winning 4 of our last 5 including a minor bowl win, then I would not want to replace Moorhead with some mid-level G5 coach or another P5 assistant. A TOP TOP P5 assistant coach or top G5 head coach, sure.

Randolph Dupree
10-31-2019, 10:24 AM
For me, it's never been about the number of losses, but how we've looked in the wins and the losses. It will depend on how we finish. Did we come out and show improvement and win convincingly? Or are we just the best of the worst? Won't know that until we finish the season.

Cooterpoot
10-31-2019, 10:35 AM
1. That ain’t happening.
2. We beat KSU if Moorhead doesn’t fail to make a QB change when his starter is hurt.
3. TN beat us and a beat up USC team that wasn’t even a consideration until the beat UGA. I don’t see anything special there.

Dawgology
10-31-2019, 10:35 AM
I just don't think we win those games. We look like shit. I think AC is our last win.

If Ark comes out and hits us in the mouth early we will fold like a $2 bill. Bama will name the score. UM will out physical this soft-ass football team.

Really Clark?
10-31-2019, 10:44 AM
I don’t know if it eases that many. 3 of those hypothetical wins are vs the worse team in the SEC, an FCS school and then the EB battle that will be for 6th place in the division. Winning the EB is always a plus but the apathy is really bad. Maybe if we beat a good bowl team and look really good in all 4 wins...that will help a percentage of the fan base.

StarkVegasSteve
10-31-2019, 10:48 AM
It's not how those teams have played since. It's the decisions that Moorhead makes that continually costs us winnable games. If Shrader is the starter for the entirety of the KSU and UT game I believe we win both, but at worst split them. Saying all that, I don't think there's chance in hell he wins 4 of the next 5, but if we do I'll be cautiously optimistic that we can at least win the games we're supposed to moving forward provided he makes staff changes in the offseason. But I don't believe he'll be here next year so it really wouldn't matter.

Cowbell
10-31-2019, 03:18 PM
6-6, 3 out of 4 - we only have 4 games left.

Really Clark?
10-31-2019, 03:22 PM
6-6, 3 out of 4 - we only have 4 games left.

Bowl game if we go 6-6, that’s the 5th game

MetEdDawg
10-31-2019, 03:35 PM
Considering how we've looked the last 4 weeks, winning 4 of the last 5 no matter how they looked would make me happy.

But it still probably wouldn't change my mind about Moorhead staying unless we beat the brakes off some of those teams and look improved and changed.

If we come out and physically dominate Arkansas I'll start to look at things slightly differently. Hang with Bama, beat up ACU, show physicality in the Egg Bowl, we might could work with something.

Tbonewannabe
10-31-2019, 03:44 PM
Considering how we've looked the last 4 weeks, winning 4 of the last 5 no matter how they looked would make me happy.

But it still probably wouldn't change my mind about Moorhead staying unless we beat the brakes off some of those teams and look improved and changed.

If we come out and physically dominate Arkansas I'll start to look at things slightly differently. Hang with Bama, beat up ACU, show physicality in the Egg Bowl, we might could work with something.

This is pretty much where I am. Arkansas might be the worst team in the P5, not just the SEC. We have looked soft all year but against UT and A&M, the team looked like they were quitting before kickoff. The UT game is one of the shittest game I have seen a MSU team play and that includes all of the games during 2001-2003 and the 2008 Egg Bowl. The only reason that game was close was because UT was barely above a dumpster fire at the time.

I can't put into words how much I hated sitting in that stadium watching that halfass performance by our coaching staff after they had two weeks to prepare for it.

TrapGame
10-31-2019, 03:48 PM

This is the improvement - the "We're gonna get it fixed." - that Moorhead keeps harping about. This is showing me you're fixing it. But, at this point I don't see it happening.

R2Dawg
10-31-2019, 04:05 PM
You don't think that would ease most fans' minds and bring other doubters back into the fold? Especially if Kansas State and Tennessee continue to win. Not talking about those here who have disliked Moorhead since the UK game last year.

Just like UK and Florida last year, KSU and UT still may turn out better that we thought. I turned on Moorhead after losing to UT, but then UT and KSU have turned out better. Kansas State is 5-2, only losing at Ok State and vs undefeated Baylor, and Kansas State just BEAT #5 Oklahoma. UT started out horrible, but since our game UT has played Bama close and blasted USC.

So part of Moorhead's problem is bad schedule luck/timing--the schedule was much tougher in 2018 than 2017, and right now Mississippi State has played the FOURTH TOUGHEST schedule in the country. Part is injuries/suspensions, which would affect any coach this season.

I still see the disorganization and undisciplined play, so I'm not back to supporting Moorhead, but in no da*n way is Moorhead the worst coach at MSU in the past 50 years. If we could somehow get an accomplished coach, I'd be for replacing Moorhead, but if we were to go 7-6, winning 4 of our last 5 including a minor bowl win, then I would not want to replace Moorhead with some mid-level G5 coach or another P5 assistant. A TOP TOP P5 assistant coach or top G5 head coach, sure.

Winning 4 of 5 would certainly mean something. First a road SEC win however weak it may be. Winning Egg Bowl would be a solid win after how we have played even though Olemiss isn't a world beater they are much improved. If we do that then winning a lower tier bowl game is a possibility as we would get some weak team from a lower conference. I really hope we finish 7-6 but I'm not sure Joe can get it back now. If Joe does, he will have to have changed a lot about the way he approaches the game, his team, etc. That would be an amazing turnaround and maturing as a HC. We'll see how smart he is but based on his press conferences, he isn't getting it yet.

One in a million chance, so you're telling me there is a chance.

Tbonewannabe
10-31-2019, 06:22 PM
Winning 4 of 5 would certainly mean something. First a road SEC win however weak it may be. Winning Egg Bowl would be a solid win after how we have played even though Olemiss isn't a world beater they are much improved. If we do that then winning a lower tier bowl game is a possibility as we would get some weak team from a lower conference. I really hope we finish 7-6 but I'm not sure Joe can get it back now. If Joe does, he will have to have changed a lot about the way he approaches the game, his team, etc. That would be an amazing turnaround and maturing as a HC. We'll see how smart he is but based on his press conferences, he isn't getting it yet.

One in a million chance, so you're telling me there is a chance.

We could just out talent the remaining teams and not really show any improvement.

Cowbell
10-31-2019, 07:30 PM
Bowl game if we go 6-6, that?s the 5th game

You lost me at bowl game....

Todd4State
11-01-2019, 12:38 PM
He literally is coaching for his job Saturday. At least it’s not 11 AM! And good thing he is playing Gay but I’d say that there is a decent chance the Autry/USM decisions comes to roost.

I do think finishing strong like that might get him about 10-20% of the fans back on his side. I think most fans have seen enough regardless.

bulldog20
11-01-2019, 12:52 PM
2-0 State. Get a safety with a minute remaining. Moorhead says Arkansas' elite defense was throwing stuff at us he has never seen, but it only made us better. If you can't see it you're blind**

Tbonewannabe
11-01-2019, 12:59 PM
He literally is coaching for his job Saturday. At least it’s not 11 AM! And good thing he is playing Gay but I’d say that there is a decent chance the Autry/USM decisions comes to roost.

I do think finishing strong like that might get him about 10-20% of the fans back on his side. I think most fans have seen enough regardless.

Just getting to a bowl will get some fans back. Keeping the bowl streak alive is important as a benchmark of our program. We are actually in the top half of the SEC in consecutive bowl games.

PMDawg
11-01-2019, 03:00 PM
Moorhead....goes....7-6.

LOL!