PDA

View Full Version : Reasons many of our fans are very hesitant on changing coaches

Indndawg
10-30-2019, 07:35 PM
I know older fans point to Darrel Royal...which is apples vs oranges bc it was b4 integreation.

Point 1: I know many ppl who hated to see Rocky let go but quickly warmed to JWS, esp when he won right off the bat

Point 2: Jackie should have been nudged to the retirement door after 2002. We know the division on Gene's Page over that. Even after the disaster of 2003, many fans said we can't fire him, we owe too much

Point 3: Many fans said you can't fire Croom 1 year removed from an SEC COY...but it happened.

Point 4: Evidience is there, that JoMo is prolly the worst coach MSU has ever had, at least in the last 50 years....yet, the blue hairs and fraidy cats still want to keep him and keep making the same lame excuses.
So what have yall heard

Dawgology
10-30-2019, 07:40 PM
Because they are weak and afraid of believing we deserve better as a program.

Indndawg
10-30-2019, 07:49 PM
It does seem like they love the coach over winning football

MrKotter
10-30-2019, 07:52 PM
I know older fans point to Darrel Royal...which is apples vs oranges bc it was b4 integreation.

Point 1: I know many ppl who hated to see Rocky let go but quickly warmed to JWS, esp when he won right off the bat

Point 2: Jackie should have been nudged to the retirement door after 2002. We know the division on Gene's Page over that. Even after the disaster of 2003, many fans said we can't fire him, we owe too much

Point 3: Many fans said you can't fire Croom 1 year removed from an SEC COY...but it happened.

Point 4: Evidience is there, that JoMo is prolly the worst coach MSU has ever had, at least in the last 50 years....yet, the blue hairs and fraidy cats still want to keep him and keep making the same lame excuses.
So what have yall heard

Are you are secretary?

Goldendawg
10-30-2019, 08:27 PM

So what have yall heard

I am 64 years old with no hair of any color left on top and he should have already been fired! Hail State and Save MSU FB from SloMo!

mparkerfd20
10-30-2019, 11:50 PM
Because they are dumbasses, bottom line.

Todd4State
10-31-2019, 12:00 AM
The vibe I'm getting is most think that he is at least in over his head and I haven't heard really anybody outside of a couple of posters that are trolls that think that he should be back. I've heard some fans that feel sorry for him. That's not defending him at all though.

Could that change some if we go 6-6? Maybe.

At any rate I will say that I have never seen a MSU coach that is more unpopular with the fans. I'm not sure that going 6-6 will change that. In fact I don't think it will.

Todd4State
10-31-2019, 12:02 AM
MSU has a very bad habit of hanging on to coaches too long. And it just digs the hole deeper and deeper. For some reason I have a feeling that this won't happen this time. I may be wrong but we'll see.

Dannyripms
10-31-2019, 04:36 AM
I don't think its that. I think some people believe Moorhead will eventually get it figured out and afraid we might miss out on a very likable person that seems to do better at recruiting. I honestly still hold out hope we get to 6 wins and he returns but if we do fire him we better be damn sure we have a legit plan in place.

Dawgology
10-31-2019, 07:16 AM
I don't think its that. I think some people believe Moorhead will eventually get it figured out and afraid we might miss out on a very likable person that seems to do better at recruiting. I honestly still hold out hope we get to 6 wins and he returns but if we do fire him we better be damn sure we have a legit plan in place.

I keep hearing he is better at recruiting but our class this year and last year are about par for the course. We have (for the most part) recruited teams that landed in the 20's for the past decade.

Dawgology
10-31-2019, 07:18 AM
It does seem like they love the coach over winning football

Hadad mentioned on T&L the other day that there was a lady on twitter posting that if MSU fired Moorhead that she would stop being a fan of MSU. How strange of a life to live that would be....

Churchill
10-31-2019, 07:47 AM
You are creating "blue hair straw men". I'm older and me and ALL of my bud's would have NEVER extended him after last year. LOL the angle some of you young-dumbs don't get is us "blue hairs" have more money and less time than a lot of you squirts and literally don't want to waste a lot of it while our athletic department struggles to get their heads out of their asses and move this numb nuts out now. Now get off my lawn. LOL

gravedigger
10-31-2019, 08:15 AM

So what have yall heard

Because its a knee jerk, emotional message board reaction and unsustainable at this university. In this conference, if we were to attempt to hold all future coaches to a standard of being fired after one below average season we would send a signal we are not only in denial of what it takes to win at MSU, but that we are unrealistic of the expectations of what level of success is sustainable. This will severely limit who we have to choose from to replace Moorhead and any successive coach.

Get over yourselves. Cohen isnt firing him due to the probability we will win more than 4 games and most likely will win 6. Joe may very well decide to leave on his own if he finds a better fit for him.

Everyone knew we had to let Rocky go. Tech and 10 settled that.
Everyone knew Jackie couldnt succeed during a 3 year investigation and he eventually realized that.
The many fans that said you couldnt fire Croom 1 year removed from SEC COY were a vocal minority.

Your comment about Joe being the 'worst coach MSU has ever had' or even the last 15 years, let alone 50, shows you are just willfully ignorant of our past.

Johnson85
10-31-2019, 08:32 AM

So what have yall heard

I think it's as simple as they believe potential coaches will be scared off if we only give Moorhead two years. I think that fear is misplaced, but I understand it. You certainly can scare off potential coaches by having unreasonable expectations (cough, UT, cough). I think potential coaches will be able to see that Moorhead is not getting fired for losing, but for having his team completely unprepared to play. We have a fanbase perfectly willing to believe that Dan left us in a crunch talent wise (b/c it's true), but it's a lot harder to believe Dan left us a team that minimally competent coaching can't teach to get a play off to start the game or coming out of a timeout and that can't out talent ULL or KSU or last more than a minute and a half against Auburn on the road.

That said, if Joe were to get past Ark and UM, I would share their fear and would not want to make a move without a coach all but locked down. I don't feel much differently if we go 4-8, but if we go 4-8, we just need confirmation from multiple viable candidates that they are interested and want to go through the interview process. If we go 6-6 and make a move (which I don't believe we will but some disagree), we need to have an agreement in principle with a candidate and a sworn blood oath from his agent that there is no interest in hearing counterproposals from his current employer.

redstickdawg
10-31-2019, 08:37 AM
Name a worse coach. Certainly not anyone since the before Tyler. Joe has had both years underperforming, last year was loaded on defense with 3 1st round picks and was not competitive against LSU, Bama, UK and UGA, not even close. He's supposed to be an offensive guru, but the offense can't pour piss out of a boot. We should have handled KSU and UT this year instead UT destroyed us. TAMU would should have been competitive but the players realize that JoMo is not a leader and have quit on him. Ark Saturday is a battle of cripples and scum is going to destroy us to my heartache. We have a 4 game losing streak going, the longest in many years, it's not that we are losing hell we aren't even in the game at all.

Dawgology
10-31-2019, 08:50 AM
Because its a knee jerk, emotional message board reaction and unsustainable at this university. In this conference, if we were to attempt to hold all future coaches to a standard of being fired after one below average season we would send a signal we are not only in denial of what it takes to win at MSU, but that we are unrealistic of the expectations of what level of success is sustainable. This will severely limit who we have to choose from to replace Moorhead and any successive coach.

Get over yourselves. Cohen isnt firing him due to the probability we will win more than 4 games and most likely will win 6. Joe may very well decide to leave on his own if he finds a better fit for him.

Everyone knew Jackie couldnt succeed during a 3 year investigation and he eventually realized that.
The many fans that said you couldnt fire Croom 1 year removed from SEC COY were a vocal minority.

Your comment about Joe being the 'worst coach MSU has ever had' or even the last 15 years, let alone 50, shows you are just willfully ignorant of our past.

If YOU don't realize how bad of a coach Moorhead is then YOU are willfully ignorant. You say one season: last season was a trainwreck. I know...we won 8 games and po' ol' Mittitippi Tate should just be happy with that but that's a BS line of thinking. We were a mismanaged team last year and the results showed that. That hasn't improved this year...it's gotten worse. Do you think that somehow the same coach will magically fix it next year against a tougher schedule? It's obvious to literally 99% of fans AND the 17'n national media.

Indndawg
10-31-2019, 08:50 AM

sjfjlsjldjfljsdljflsd

Liverpooldawg
10-31-2019, 08:57 AM

YEP.

Liverpooldawg
10-31-2019, 08:59 AM
If YOU don't realize how bad of a coach Moorhead is then YOU are willfully ignorant. You say one season: last season was a trainwreck. I know...we won 8 games and po' ol' Mittitippi Tate should just be happy with that but that's a BS line of thinking. We were a mismanaged team last year and the results showed that. That hasn't improved this year...it's gotten worse. Do you think that somehow the same coach will magically fix it next year against a tougher schedule? It's obvious to literally 99% of fans AND the 17'n national media.

What a perfect example of why we will never rise above what we are. THIS is the old MSU attitude to a T. I've heard this for 50 years.

sonof34
10-31-2019, 08:59 AM

Shhhh with the logical response...between here and shitpackspeak if you aren?t all aboard the fire JoMo mafia then you aren?t true maroon

Coursesuper
10-31-2019, 09:04 AM

You might say this is a knee jerk message board reaction, but outside of Starkville there is very little support for this staff and I'm not talking about from message boards but from those that count when decisions are made. I not stating conjecture here, I'm stating fact. You might not like it and I'm not saying its right or wrong and you probably don't like it but that's what it is.

Really Clark?
10-31-2019, 09:12 AM

Vanderbilt fired Caldwell after just one season (had the same record as Bobby Johnson?s last year)...they hired James Franklin. They also fired Dowhower after DiNardo who never had a winning season but at least won 4-5 games a year. And that was the mid 90?s. Should have they held on them? I mean it?s Vandy, they should have bottom basement mentality even worse than what we should expect.

Ellis Johnson...horrid but that?s a no brainer, 0 wins never a get you another season and no coach in the modern era has ever turned around a 0 win season.

WKU just fired Sanford after going 6-7 and 3-9. He underperformed at WKU and they had no problem firing him. And similarly he followed Brohm and other successful coaches, when he underperformed they did not give him a third year. The new coach is 5-3, 4-1 in conference with wins over UAB and Army, two coaches whose names pop up for bigger HC gigs

Mike Locksley was fired 4 games into his third season but he was almost fired after 2 years and they should have.

With how the game has changed and the amount of money that SEC programs receive, teams can not afford to hold on too long anymore. It is financially irresponsible at this point for the school and the program. That?s not knee jerk anymore. And for us it is beyond just record, there are massive issues with the program and it?s is showing up on the field of play. The scoreboard is almost irrelevant because we are not competitive vs teams we should be competitive with or just flat out better. The early blowouts, undisciplined play, lack of physicality, effort, etc. are just a symptom of a larger problem.

MadDawg
10-31-2019, 09:13 AM
What a perfect example of why we will never rise above what we are. THIS is the old MSU attitude to a T. I've heard this for 50 years.

The "little man" syndrome is alive and well within the fanbase. Don't you know? The only reason why we are not Alabama is because the fans just won't demand it!1!!!

Johnson85
10-31-2019, 09:23 AM

Certainly many people are being emotional about firing joe, but you are no less emotional. You are "resulting" rather than looking at Joe's body of work. He has had one underachieving season where we looked poorly coached on his side of the ball. Not entirely surprising considering we were changing offenses and our returning QB was relatively inexperienced as a QB for a returning senior, spent most of his QB time as a run heavy QB, and then he missed spring practices and was returning from a serious injury.

Then there is this season, where after more time with the team, we got worse in every aspect of the game. We still can't run our offense, we look disorganized, we have to have a massive talent advantage to win, we are basket cases on the road, etc. Again, there are excuses available. We've had injuries and suspensions and Mullen left us in a bind on the defensive side of the ball with just a lack of playmakers overall and a huge hole on the interior of the DL. Joe's problem is that the stuff he is responsible for, the offense and generally looking like we don't have our heads up our asses, still look subpar. He looks like a really bad coach right now.

He's not as bad as Croom. Croom's offense struggled even against FCS teams. But he still looks bad. That is the standard that will get him fired. Average coaching for a year or two would most of the time lead to at least 4 years if not 5. He has not been average and it will be very risky for us to give him another year to see if the first two years were just a fluke or if he manages to quickly move up what appears to be a steep learning curve. It will be risky to make a new hire, because all new hires are risky (as Moorhead has shown us). Just not a good position, which is where bad hires put you.

Dawgology
10-31-2019, 09:27 AM
The "little man" syndrome is alive and well within the fanbase. Don't you know? The only reason why we are not Alabama is because the fans just won't demand it!1!!!

I never said that. I do expect our floor to be 7 or 8 wins a season now. Sorry if that's asking too much for some fans....

redstickdawg
10-31-2019, 09:33 AM
Certainly many people are being emotional about firing joe, but you are no less emotional. You are "resulting" rather than looking at Joe's body of work. He has had one underachieving season where we looked poorly coached on his side of the ball. Not entirely surprising considering we were changing offenses and our returning QB was relatively inexperienced as a QB for a returning senior, spent most of his QB time as a run heavy QB, and then he missed spring practices and was returning from a serious injury.

Then there is this season, where after more time with the team, we got worse in every aspect of the game. We still can't run our offense, we look disorganized, we have to have a massive talent advantage to win, we are basket cases on the road, etc. Again, there are excuses available. We've had injuries and suspensions and Mullen left us in a bind on the defensive side of the ball with just a lack of playmakers overall and a huge hole on the interior of the DL. Joe's problem is that the stuff he is responsible for, the offense and generally looking like we don't have our heads up our asses, still look subpar. He looks like a really bad coach right now.

He's not as bad as Croom. Croom's offense struggled even against FCS teams. But he still looks bad. That is the standard that will get him fired. Average coaching for a year or two would most of the time lead to at least 4 years if not 5. He has not been average and it will be very risky for us to give him another year to see if the first two years were just a fluke or if he manages to quickly move up what appears to be a steep learning curve. It will be risky to make a new hire, because all new hires are risky (as Moorhead has shown us). Just not a good position, which is where bad hires put you.

I agree that new hires are risky as you state, but it is also the definition of insanity to keep doing what we are doing (JoMo) and expect different results. The trajectory on this program and staff is all downward, crashing down.
A question for everyone: When was the last time that this team came to play and exceeded your expectations? For me we came to play against scum last year, didn't really exceed expectations, the last time that happened was against Louisville.

Tbonewannabe
10-31-2019, 09:37 AM
Vanderbilt fired Caldwell after just one season (had the same record as Bobby Johnson?s last year)...they hired James Franklin. They also fired Dowhower after DiNardo who never had a winning season but at least won 4-5 games a year. And that was the mid 90?s. Should have they held on them? I mean it?s Vandy, they should have bottom basement mentality even worse than what we should expect.

Ellis Johnson...horrid but that?s a no brainer, 0 wins never a get you another season and no coach in the modern era has ever turned around a 0 win season.

WKU just fired Sanford after going 6-7 and 3-9. He underperformed at WKU and they had no problem firing him. And similarly he followed Brohm and other successful coaches, when he underperformed they did not give him a third year. The new coach is 5-3, 4-1 in conference with wins over UAB and Army, two coaches whose names pop up for bigger HC gigs

Mike Locksley was fired 4 games into his third season but he was almost fired after 2 years and they should have.

With how the game has changed and the amount of money that SEC programs receive, teams can not afford to hold on too long anymore. It is financially irresponsible at this point for the school and the program. That?s not knee jerk anymore. And for us it is beyond just record, there are massive issues with the program and it?s is showing up on the field of play. The scoreboard is almost irrelevant because we are not competitive vs teams we should be competitive with or just flat out better. The early blowouts, undisciplined play, lack of physicality, effort, etc. are just a symptom of a larger problem.

This is the red flag to me. We can go along and get to a bowl with a 6-6 record but we are not showing improvement in any form. You can throw out all the statistics you want to but it boils down to 90th and 94th in offense and defense in the country. We haven't been this bad ever on both sides of the ball. Even Jackie's last years, we weren't this bad on both sides of the ball. When you take over a team that had a pretty good offense and turn them into only good against shit teams then that isn't progress. And then he turns around and makes it worse.

The level of give a shit that was on that field at UT from the players, coaches, and down to the 17ing water boys should have gotten him fired that damn day. Plenty of MSU fans in the stands came to watch that bullshit. A&M wasn't a lot better. He has proven without home field advantage, he can't even get the team to compete, much less win.

Tbonewannabe
10-31-2019, 09:43 AM

I think it would actually be more risky to let Moorhead stay and hope he can figure it out. At least Pruitt seems to have gotten UT moving in the right direction, we can't say the same. That is a coach that everyone was glad we didn't get and he looks like the better hire right now.

BB30
10-31-2019, 09:49 AM
Because they are weak and afraid of believing we deserve better as a program.

Ha ha ha. I don't know a single state fan that is "afraid of believing we deserve better as a program". What does that even mean? If your afraid of anything regarding M State athletics your taking it entirely too seriously. There are things in life to worry about, college football certainly isn't one of them.

As for our program, the biggest issue is we are getting exactly what we paid for. We are ahead of Mizzou and Vandy in donations. OM as discussed before raises a significantly larger sum of money. Heck even Ky raises more. So until fans decide to hold themselves to the same standard that they want to hold the program to we will continue to get what we paid for.

Until our budgets for recruiting and assistant coaches goes up it will be hard to consistently field a top 5-6 football team in the SEC.

It isn't that hard to understand. We simply have to put "our money where our mouths are" and start raising/spending more money albeit we could be smarter with the budget that we have but it's downright embarrassing that we can't raise more money than we do.

The people with unrealistic expectations aren't the ones that you deem "afraid" it is the people that think that there is no reason we shouldn't be a top 6 program in the SEC while only raising/ spending in the 11-14th range. People complaining about 5-6$ cokes and how a weekend traveling to a game is now to expensive when you can just watch on TV is the issue.

Bottom line is we are cheap all the way around with regards to football. From our AD to our coaching staff, to our fans.

Our head coach is the 13th highest paid coach in the SEC. So we are getting exactly what we paid for. Mason is paid more at Vandy.

Teams that pay their coaches more:

Iowa State
Louisville
Vandy
Pittsburg
NC State
Baylor
Arkansas
Illinois
Utah
Washington State
Virginia
Houston
Minnesota

We are in a tier with the following-- Georgia Tech, Duke, Cal, Texas Tech, Kansas and BC.

There are non power 5 teams that are paying about what we pay and you think we are going to go and poach a good established coach to come when he knows we don't pay assistants well on top of the fact that our job is already one of the harder positions in the conference.

timotheus
10-31-2019, 09:53 AM
This is the red flag to me. We can go along and get to a bowl with a 6-6 record but we are not showing improvement in any form. You can throw out all the statistics you want to but it boils down to 90th and 94th in offense and defense in the country. We haven't been this bad ever on both sides of the ball. Even Jackie's last years, we weren't this bad on both sides of the ball. When you take over a team that had a pretty good offense and turn them into only good against shit teams then that isn't progress. And then he turns around and makes it worse.

The level of give a shit that was on that field at UT from the players, coaches, and down to the 17ing water boys should have gotten him fired that damn day. Plenty of MSU fans in the stands came to watch that bullshit. A&M wasn't a lot better. He has proven without home field advantage, he can't even get the team to compete, much less win.

Yep, my trip to Knoxville just did me in with Joe. He seems satisfied with 1 explosive play every 10-12 plays and all the other plays are for negative yardage.

redstickdawg
10-31-2019, 09:54 AM
Ha ha ha. I don't know a single state fan that is "afraid of believing we deserve better as a program". What does that even mean? If your afraid of anything regarding M State athletics your taking it entirely too seriously. There are things in life to worry about, college football certainly isn't one of them.

As for our program, the biggest issue is we are getting exactly what we paid for. We are ahead of Mizzou and Vandy in donations. OM as discussed before raises a significantly larger sum of money. Heck even Ky raises more. So until fans decide to hold themselves to the same standard that they want to hold the program to we will continue to get what we paid for.

Until our budgets for recruiting and assistant coaches goes up it will be hard to consistently field a top 5-6 football team in the SEC.

It isn't that hard to understand. We simply have to put "our money where our mouths are" and start raising/spending more money albeit we could be smarter with the budget that we have but it's downright embarrassing that we can't raise more money than we do.

The people with unrealistic expectations aren't the ones that you deem "afraid" it is the people that think that there is no reason we shouldn't be a top 6 program in the SEC while only raising/ spending in the 11-14th range. People complaining about 5-6$ cokes and how a weekend traveling to a game is now to expensive when you can just watch on TV is the issue.

Bottom line is we are cheap all the way around with regards to football. From our AD to our coaching staff, to our fans.

Our head coach is the 13th highest paid coach in the SEC. So we are getting exactly what we paid for. Mason is paid more at Vandy.

Iowa State
Louisville
Vandy
Pittsburg
NC State
Baylor
Arkansas
Illinois
Utah
Washington State
Virginia
Houston
Minnesota

We are in a tier with the following-- Georgia Tech, Duke, Cal, Texas Tech, Kansas and BC.

There are non power 5 teams that are paying about what we pay and you think we are going to go and poach a good established coach to come when he knows we don't pay assistants well on top of the fact that our job is already one of the harder positions in the conference.

So using this "logic" if we pay JoMo more than Saban we will be in the playoffs correct?

Johnson85
10-31-2019, 09:55 AM
I think it would actually be more risky to let Moorhead stay and hope he can figure it out. At least Pruitt seems to have gotten UT moving in the right direction, we can't say the same. That is a coach that everyone was glad we didn't get and he looks like the better hire right now.

I agree, which is partly why I said it would be very risky for us to give Joe another year and just said it would be risky to make a new hire.

I think Joe has to go if we go 4-8. I think he should go if we get to 5-7, but you've got to weigh interest from your likely candidates. If he goes 6-6, I still won't be optimistic about Joe, but I would expect him to come back at that point and think it will be the right thing to bring him back just because at that point, I do think coaches will at least wonder about our expectations. If we go 6-6 this year, and then fire Joe, and then the next coach goes 7-6 and 7-6, are they going to be safe? The answer is definitely, because even if they look bad, they haven't regressed and we're not going to pay two buyouts at once. The next coach can probalby go 5-7 and 5-7 and still get a third year. But I understand candidates being at least a little concerned about longevity.

BB30
10-31-2019, 10:00 AM
So using this "logic" if we pay JoMo more than Saban we will be in the playoffs correct?

Yea that is exactly what I was saying...

No, but if you spend more than 2 million up front maybe you get someone other than Joe the first time around.... Is it just coincidence that historically speaking we have been last or close to last in the SEC and we also spend at a rate last or close to last? Save maybe what 10-12 years total in our history we have been in the bottom third of the conference. Seems like a good identifier. But keep thinking we deserve a top shelf team with a college beer budget.

Johnson85
10-31-2019, 10:01 AM

Iowa State
Louisville
Vandy
Pittsburg
NC State
Baylor
Arkansas
Illinois
Utah
Washington State
Virginia
Houston
Minnesota

Our head coaches salary is not holding us back at all. We got a very highly thought of P5 coordinator paying what we pay. We could have had Pruitt if we had wanted him (pretty sure we had already passed at the point the UT search reached dumpster fire level). We may be (probably are?) cheaping out on assistant coaches pay. And certainly if Joe had done well the price of poker would have gone up quickly. But what we are paying now is fine to get coaches in here. If they do good, we will be at $5M per year quickly.

msugolf
10-31-2019, 10:02 AM

So lay it out for us slick. Give us the plan how he becomes a winner at MState. Recruits top 10 classes every year? Out schemes better talent? Plays tough, disciplined, hard nosed football?

You're a damned fool if you think a slow methodical offense is going to compete in this conference. It would take Bama level talent and even then Saban saw a need to change to more up tempo.

Johnson85
10-31-2019, 10:07 AM
I never said that. I do expect our floor to be 7 or 8 wins a season now. Sorry if that's asking too much for some fans....

That is asking too much of reality. If we hire a coach that gets us to a 7 or 8 win average (regular season), that is a great hire. If we had a coach that could guarantee us a 7-8 win average, a 6 win floor (with some rare slip ups to 5 win seasons) and a 10 win ceiling, we should throw the bank at him and offer $6 or $7M per year, which is coincidentally what we were willing to pay for Mullen.

If we are going to fire a coach for winning less than 7 games, we will soon make UT look like a well run program. We might get insanely lucky and hire a coach that creates a 7 win floor, but even if we do, we still won't be a program that can demand that of future coaches.

ETA: That's not to say I think it would be unjustifiable to fire Moorhead if he goes 6-6 this year. But we wouldn't be firing him for going 6-6. If we actually fired him after he went 6-6, it would be for how poorly coached we looked over two years and the poor trajectory combined with a lack of offsetting positives.

Tbonewannabe
10-31-2019, 10:07 AM
I agree, which is partly why I said it would be very risky for us to give Joe another year and just said it would be risky to make a new hire.

I think Joe has to go if we go 4-8. I think he should go if we get to 5-7, but you've got to weigh interest from your likely candidates. If he goes 6-6, I still won't be optimistic about Joe, but I would expect him to come back at that point and think it will be the right thing to bring him back just because at that point, I do think coaches will at least wonder about our expectations. If we go 6-6 this year, and then fire Joe, and then the next coach goes 7-6 and 7-6, are they going to be safe? The answer is definitely, because even if they look bad, they haven't regressed and we're not going to pay two buyouts at once. The next coach can probalby go 5-7 and 5-7 and still get a third year. But I understand candidates being at least a little concerned about longevity.

I think it is interesting that a lot of media are now saying that Moorhead just isn't a good fit for us. I think this might be the way that Joe goes to Rutgers even if he goes 6-6. I don't see us even being on the field against Bama so even if we blow out Ark, Abilene, and UM, that is what we did without a "Joe" QB last year. That still isn't progress. I agree that if we fire Joe after 6-6, we better have our coach already lined up and they better be a good fit because they will have a minimum of 3 years if not 4.

Johnson85
10-31-2019, 10:12 AM
I think it is interesting that a lot of media are now saying that Moorhead just isn't a good fit for us. I think this might be the way that Joe goes to Rutgers even if he goes 6-6. I don't see us even being on the field against Bama so even if we blow out Ark, Abilene, and UM, that is what we did without a "Joe" QB last year. That still isn't progress. I agree that if we fire Joe after 6-6, we better have our coach already lined up and they better be a good fit because they will have a minimum of 3 years if not 4.

If we blow out Ark and Ole Miss, then Joe won't be fired. I'm not sure if he gets fired at 6-6 at all, but if he does, it will be because we squeak out wins against UM and Arkansas despite looking like a terribly coached team because Ark and UM are also poorly coached and less talented.

BB30
10-31-2019, 10:12 AM
Our head coaches salary is not holding us back at all. We got a very highly thought of P5 coordinator paying what we pay. We could have had Pruitt if we had wanted him (pretty sure we had already passed at the point the UT search reached dumpster fire level). We may be (probably are?) cheaping out on assistant coaches pay. And certainly if Joe had done well the price of poker would have gone up quickly. But what we are paying now is fine to get coaches in here. If they do good, we will be at $5M per year quickly.

It isn't just about HC and asst coach salaries. We spend significantly less on recruiting etc. We spend less in just about every facet of the program.

Name one thing in life that you don't generally get what you pay for.

If you go the cheap route you usually get cheap things. We have been cheap when it comes to quite a bit about our program in regards to the rest of the league and even a large chunk of the rest of the power 5. I don't understand how that is hard to comprehend. Yes you can catch a good up and comer like a Dan Mullen but the odds aren't in your favor of doing that repeatedly over time. All I am saying is that we could increase our odds of success if we would raise/spend more on the entire program.

So I am assuming you believe that we aren't getting what we paid for in relation to the rest of the league and that spending has little to do with success? That regardless of what we spend we should have a top 6 program in the SEC?

Dawgology
10-31-2019, 10:28 AM

Iowa State
Louisville
Vandy
Pittsburg
NC State
Baylor
Arkansas
Illinois
Utah
Washington State
Virginia
Houston
Minnesota

Well...you are on a MSU athletics forum talking in a football thread so...yeah...worrying about the state of our football program is kind of the hot topic right now...

Anyway, when I say afraid or scared what I mean is that winning and raising your annual "win floor" raises expectations and can increase the needs of a program from a funding standpoint and can, certainly, increase stress amongst donors, staff, etc. I've read several posters on here, on social media, and other forums that have mentioned that we are now back to where we are "supposed to be"...6 win seasons with down years mixed in and that we should be ok with our place in the grand scheme of things. That's a lsoer mentality and it's born of fear. Fear to get your hopes up. Fear of the commitment that winning takes. It's always much easier to show up, tailgate, leave at the half because we are getting blown out, and go tailgate for a few more hours.

SheltonChoked
10-31-2019, 10:29 AM

So what have yall heard

Point 4 is hyperbole... 50 years is back to 1970.
Shira was worse (16?45?2)
Tyler was better ( thanks NCAA)
Bellard was worse (Won with Tylers players, then won 5 SEC games in 5 years)
Rocky was worse
Jackie was better, the worse, then better, then worse
Croom was worse. (Maine)
Mullen was better

My only fear in replacing him is the transition from Stansbury to Rick Ray. Everyone said " we have a great program , it will be easy to replace Stans", and we ended up the Clemson's 3rd assistant coach.

We have to get a coach lined up before we make the move. Like we did with Howland.

This is not a don't fire him, it's a "get the other guy signed up first". IMO, we have to get a head coach, and pay him.

(I.e. Fleck $3.5mm, Fickell $2.4mm, Matt Campbell $3.5mm, Norvell $1.8mm)

Johnson85
10-31-2019, 10:29 AM
It isn't just about HC and asst coach salaries. We spend significantly less on recruiting etc. We spend less in just about every facet of the program.

Name one thing in life that you don't generally get what you pay for.

If you go the cheap route you usually get cheap things. We have been cheap when it comes to quite a bit about our program in regards to the rest of the league and even a large chunk of the rest of the power 5. I don't understand how that is hard to comprehend. Yes you can catch a good up and comer like a Dan Mullen but the odds aren't in your favor of doing that repeatedly over time. All I am saying is that we could increase our odds of success if we would raise/spend more on the entire program.

So I am assuming you believe that we aren't getting what we paid for in relation to the rest of the league and that spending has little to do with success? That regardless of what we spend we should have a top 6 program in the SEC?

That's a really dumb assumption. Not sure what kind of terrible logic you follow to get there.

You specifically said that our coach is the 13th highest paid coach in the SEC. I was pointing out that our head coaching salary is not a problem at all. We pay enough to get what is basically our best case scenario, which is a G5 head coach or P5 coordinator. We have proven that we will pay a successful head coach, basically willing to match UF for Mullen if he had wanted to be here. I assume if we had wanted to poach a P5 head coach from some of the lower tier P5 schools we could reasonably poach from that we would have been willing to pay closer to what Dan was making when he left. So if we have a problem on spending too little, it's not at the head coaching level, so it's stupid to point to head coaching salary as evidence that we are not spending enough.

Dawgology
10-31-2019, 10:32 AM
Point 4 is hyperbole... 50 years is back to 1970.
Shira was worse (16?45?2)
Tyler was better ( thanks NCAA)
Bellard was worse (Won with Tylers players, then won 5 SEC games in 5 years)
Rocky was worse
Jackie was better, the worse, then better, then worse
Croom was worse. (Maine)
Mullen was better

My only fear in replacing him is the transition from Stansbury to Rick Ray. Everyone said " we have a great program , it will be easy to replace Stans", and we ended up the Clemson's 3rd assistant coach.

We have to get a coach lined up before we make the move. Like we did with Howland.

This is not a don't fire him, it's a "get the other guy signed up first". IMO, we have to get a head coach, and pay him.

(I.e. Fleck $3.5mm, Fickell $2.4mm, Matt Campbell $3.5mm, Norvell $1.8mm)

This. We don't need to cheap out again.

MadDawg
10-31-2019, 10:47 AM
I've read several posters on here, on social media, and other forums that have mentioned that we are now back to where we are "supposed to be"...6 win seasons with down years mixed in

I read a lot of message boards and social media. I have yet to read anyone say that.

Liverpooldawg
10-31-2019, 11:01 AM
So lay it out for us slick. Give us the plan how he becomes a winner at MState. Recruits top 10 classes every year? Out schemes better talent? Plays tough, disciplined, hard nosed football?

You're a damned fool if you think a slow methodical offense is going to compete in this conference. It would take Bama level talent and even then Saban saw a need to change to more up tempo.

We are going to have to do what it takes to get continuity. That means PAYING coaches. Notice that is plural. That means assistants too. We don't do that. Who said anything about slow , methodical offense? I sure didn't. Those days are over.

Liverpooldawg
10-31-2019, 11:05 AM
I read a lot of message boards and social media. I have yet to read anyone say that.

I haven't either. I've been accused of it but that's not even close to what I have said. Our boards have gone insane, if they ever were sane that is.

Maroonthirteen
10-31-2019, 11:24 AM

I agree with this. We just have to let things play out to see how the season ends. I get it... our offense looks terrible. I get it!!! But Cohen has to make sure that he has a viable replacement before we can fire a coach because his offense sucks.

If he gets to 6-6. That?s a 7 win average his first two years. I just don?t see a proven head coach jumping to MSU if we fire a guy that went 8-5 and 6-6 at State. Regardless of how his offense performed.

gravedigger
10-31-2019, 03:09 PM
sjfjlsjldjfljsdljflsd

Last 15 years: Croom
Since I've been alive: Bellard 1 bad year, 2 bowl years, 4 HORRENDOUS years.......... Felker 1 year won six games and lost the next 5 by so much we didnt get a bowl. TecH and 10. Croom 3 years he got a pass for the 3 years we got driven in the ground. Years made a bowl and because of that Coach of the year. And If I have to remind you of 2008, then, nevermind.

I'm not including any coach from the 60's or 50's because I wasnt born and cannot evaluate, but we were horrendous then as well.

So there you have it. Of the total 6 coaches that have spanned all years since 1978. 3 were worse than Moorhead. NOT COUNTING the decades of the 50's and 60's.

TrapGame
10-31-2019, 03:28 PM
I agree with this. We just have to let things play out to see how the season ends. I get it... our offense looks terrible. I get it!!! But Cohen has to make sure that he has a viable replacement before we can fire a coach because his offense sucks.

If he gets to 6-6. That?s a 7 win average his first two years. I just don?t see a proven head coach jumping to MSU if we fire a guy that went 8-5 and 6-6 at State. Regardless of how his offense performed.

Unless he decides to leave for another program. Which is what I think is really going on. Moorhead is shaking trees to find a place to land come December. This is not what he expected it to be like. He's been shocked and awed by the grind and intensity of the SEC. He wants out.

Cooterpoot
10-31-2019, 04:42 PM
90% of our fans what Moorhead gone. The other 10% are spilt between old guys that are fine with 6 wins and Ole Miss fans stirring the pot disguised as State fans.

shannondawg
10-31-2019, 04:56 PM
Be interesting to see how this plays out. Glad I ain't Cohen, but am ok with whatever he decides to do, that's what we pay him for.

You did stir up some of us old folks, but don't forget this, we know a lot cause we seen a lot. Thats from the Farmers Ins commercial, but very true.

The only person that asks for my opinion these days is the president of the USA. But it also includes a request for a donation.

Dawgology
10-31-2019, 05:36 PM

I'll try to go back and find it. It was actually on this board.

Liverpooldawg
10-31-2019, 06:36 PM
90% of our fans what Moorhead gone. The other 10% are spilt between old guys that are fine with 6 wins and Ole Miss fans stirring the pot disguised as State fans.

Actually the smart UM fans are stoking the discontent. That's what they have always done here, and they are doing it now.

BB30
10-31-2019, 07:19 PM
That's a really dumb assumption. Not sure what kind of terrible logic you follow to get there.

You specifically said that our coach is the 13th highest paid coach in the SEC. I was pointing out that our head coaching salary is not a problem at all. We pay enough to get what is basically our best case scenario, which is a G5 head coach or P5 coordinator. We have proven that we will pay a successful head coach, basically willing to match UF for Mullen if he had wanted to be here. I assume if we had wanted to poach a P5 head coach from some of the lower tier P5 schools we could reasonably poach from that we would have been willing to pay closer to what Dan was making when he left. So if we have a problem on spending too little, it's not at the head coaching level, so it's stupid to point to head coaching salary as evidence that we are not spending enough.

So as a whole do you or do you not agree that we are spending enough money to be a consistent top 6 sec team?

I also pointed out the lack of spending and donations regarding football as a whole and all I hear is crickets. Coaching salaries were just the easiest data to pull to highlight this and yes, I do believe we seriously underpay quality assistants.

The whole reason we keep having to hire coordinators from power 5 schools as head coaches is because we don?t spend enough money on our program as a whole including coaching salaries. Dan worked out, jomo looks like he won?t.

Y?all want top dollar results on a terrible budget and that just isn?t going to happen consistently. Again, like anything in life you get what you pay for. You may occasionally find a deal but you won?t consistently be able to do that.

I?m not sure how anyone could possibly argue with that fact when there is 100 years of history backing it up. We consistently underspend and under donate and yet we expect consistent results.

We lose our quality assistants every single year. Our ads get poached if they are any good.

It?s just dumb to me bitching about everything under the sun as a fan when the one thing fans can actually control is how much they give and how much they go to games and support Starkville and the community.

So many people on here bitch about the poor play and yet also bitch about the price of a drink or what a game costs. Those two do go hand in hand relatively speaking.

Want to win more start with increasing the recruiting budget and paying your assistants which starts with more donations and giving.

You don?t think that new baseball stadium is a hell of a recruiting tool compared to mizzous baseball field? Well that?s about the same comparison as David wade to Death Valley or Texas a and m. Especially when it?s half full.

TopDawg
10-31-2019, 07:23 PM

So what have yall heard
I guess you are including me, I am 72 years old, and I want him gone and the guy that hired him. At least if Cohen not fired, don't let him ever hire another football coach.

Cooterpoot
10-31-2019, 07:30 PM
Actually the smart UM fans are stoking the discontent. That's what they have always done here, and they are doing it now.

Nah, they know they can own JoMo. They’d just assume we keep him.

Liverpooldawg
10-31-2019, 08:58 PM

It's not that's much, yet. Most rational people are waiting to see what happens the last 4 games.

Liverpooldawg
10-31-2019, 09:01 PM
Nah, they know they can own JoMo. They’d just assume we keep him.

You are dead wrong here. They know that discord serves their aims better. It kills recruiting and that is more important than who is coaching. It damn sure is for them, and they ain't totally wrong. You are doing your part for sure. I am NOT saying you are a Reb.

munk_munk92
11-01-2019, 04:30 AM
Name a worse coach. Certainly not anyone since the before Tyler. Joe has had both years underperforming, last year was loaded on defense with 3 1st round picks and was not competitive against LSU, Bama, UK and UGA, not even close. He's supposed to be an offensive guru, but the offense can't pour piss out of a boot. We should have handled KSU and UT this year instead UT destroyed us. TAMU would should have been competitive but the players realize that JoMo is not a leader and have quit on him. Ark Saturday is a battle of cripples and scum is going to destroy us to my heartache. We have a 4 game losing streak going, the longest in many years, it's not that we are losing hell we aren't even in the game at all.

Last year we should've realistically been in the playoffs. I believe we were that good on defense and good enough on offense. Remember 2017 bama had the refs cheat for them to win. We would've beaten Florida, Kentucky, LSU, and i believe a good chance at beating Alabama but def believe we should've beaten the other 3. that would've gotten us to the playoffs. It's a real shame this lame duck offensive guru can't coach offense. A once in a lifetime team missed out on. Sucks big time.

basedog
11-01-2019, 07:13 AM
Be interesting to see how this plays out. Glad I ain't Cohen, but am ok with whatever he decides to do, that's what we pay him for.

You did stir up some of us old folks, but don't forget this, we know a lot cause we seen a lot. Thats from the Farmers Ins commercial, but very true.

The only person that asks for my opinion these days is the president of the USA. But it also includes a request for a donation.

Well said, and "can I have your chickens" asking for a friend****

timotheus
11-01-2019, 07:27 AM
Last year we should've realistically been in the playoffs. I believe we were that good on defense and good enough on offense. Remember 2017 bama had the refs cheat for them to win. We would've beaten Florida, Kentucky, LSU, and i believe a good chance at beating Alabama but def believe we should've beaten the other 3. that would've gotten us to the playoffs. It's a real shame this lame duck offensive guru can't coach offense. A once in a lifetime team missed out on. Sucks big time.

I couldn't agree more. Last season we actually, with good game prep and coaching should have made a run at the playoffs. Now we are teetering over a cliff. In less than 2 years now we are set back for probably a 4 year rebuild starting next year.

StateDawg44
11-01-2019, 07:29 AM

???

Name one of them.

Really Clark?
11-01-2019, 08:03 AM

They don?t have to stoke discontent, the play on the field and coaching is what is stoking the fires of our dumpster. They sow the seeds of discontent when Mullen beat them and we were making an upward move. We had way more UNM fans disguised on boards when we are winning and Mullen digging at them. Like with Jackie. They don?t give a crap right now and are not having to ?sow seeds of discontent? to our fan base. The only ones who stick out with over the top defense of how good Moorehead will be, that?s the ones who sound questionable...or double naught 7.

Churchill
11-01-2019, 08:40 AM
I guess you are including me, I am 72 years old, and I want him gone and the guy that hired him. At least if Cohen not fired, don't let him ever hire another football coach.

Exactly the same here (about to be 70) and would like to know for the record who are all these old guys everyone is pointing to for wanting to keep Moorehead. I know a whole bunch of older State guys, some very well connected, and none of them wants to keep Moorhead and all are questioning if Cohen is the right guy for AD severely. Also for the record some of these guys' voices will be heard by folks higher up the ladder than Cohen.

dawgday166
11-01-2019, 09:06 AM
Exactly the same here (about to be 70) and would like to know for the record who are all these old guys everyone is pointing to for wanting to keep Moorehead. I know a whole bunch of older State guys, some very well connected, and none of them wants to keep Moorhead and all are questioning if Cohen is the right guy for AD severely. Also for the record some of these guys' voices will be heard by folks higher up the ladder than Cohen.

Gene's Page. Some snowflakes over there, albeit some of those may be young snowflakes. They're relationship people. They like Joe. Saban don't give a crap whether you like him or not ... he's coaching football his way and making his team work to be tough.

StateDawg44
11-01-2019, 09:15 AM
So is this really an argument about whether it's old people or young people who want to keep Moorhead?

All you olds on here should chill out and don't let your panties get in a wad. I'm pretty sure the "olds" he is talking about are the same olds who have deep pockets and actually have contact with Cohen. Not a bunch of old guys on a message board.

dawgday166
11-01-2019, 12:06 PM
So is this really an argument about whether it's old people or young people who want to keep Moorhead?

All you olds on here should chill out and don't let your panties get in a wad. I'm pretty sure the "olds" he is talking about are the same olds who have deep pockets and actually have contact with Cohen. Not a bunch of old guys on a message board.

I kinda like these "olds" over here speaking up saying "hey, I'm old and I want Joe gone" ... LOL.