PDA

View Full Version : Moorhead quote from today's teleconference

dawgday166
10-30-2019, 07:21 PM
When asked about his future at MSU by an Arky writer:

"But part of the reason taking this job amidst other opportunities is I wanted to gauge myself and compete against the best of the best in the SEC," he said.

"So you know going into it when you're coaching against the great coaches in this conference, and the recruiting aspect of it as well, it's going to be a grind every single day. On the field and off the field the margin of error is going to be small. And the praise when you do well is going to be high, and the criticism when you perform poorly is going to be harsh."

"So I'm excited about what we did last year, I'm excited about the current state, I'm excited about the future of the program. So that's where I'm at. If I was any better there'd be two of me!"

I just do not get this guy and how big an idiot he can be.

Cooterpoot
10-30-2019, 07:24 PM
What you expect him to say? He’s still got a team to coach.

Choctaw Dawg
10-30-2019, 07:25 PM
That last quote, Jesus.

dawgday166
10-30-2019, 07:27 PM
That last quote, Jesus.

Precisely what I thought too.

HailStateSZN19
10-30-2019, 07:30 PM
Just go out and win some games and look competent, inspired, prepared, and execute a clean damn game.

ShotgunDawg
10-30-2019, 07:31 PM

"But part of the reason taking this job amidst other opportunities is I wanted to gauge myself and compete against the best of the best in the SEC," he said.

"So you know going into it when you're coaching against the great coaches in this conference, and the recruiting aspect of it as well, it's going to be a grind every single day. On the field and off the field the margin of error is going to be small. And the praise when you do well is going to be high, and the criticism when you perform poorly is going to be harsh."

"So I'm excited about what we did last year, I'm excited about the current state, I'm excited about the future of the program. So that's where I'm at. If I was any better there'd be two of me!"

What do you expect him to say?

HailStateSZN19
10-30-2019, 07:35 PM
What you expect him to say? He’s still got a team to coach.

Still think he’s gone Cooter regardless of what happens from here on out or is it going to take finishing with a losing record to either fire him or for him to want to get out on his own?

Indndawg
10-30-2019, 07:38 PM
I wish I had a quarter for every coach that say's they're "excited" about something. Coach-speak, geez

Tbonewannabe
10-30-2019, 07:43 PM
Fake it until you make it. He is just trying to put out the positive vibes because he has nothing else left.

Hambone
10-30-2019, 07:53 PM
I agree, WTF is the coach supposed to say? It didn’t matter what he said, someone on this board was going to think it was the most asinine thing they ever heard.

msstate7
10-30-2019, 07:56 PM
I agree, WTF is the coach supposed to say? It didn’t matter what he said, someone on this board was going to think it was the most asinine thing they ever heard.

The "excited about the current state" is awful. We've lost 4 in a row for the first time in a long time. Why in the world would you be excited about the current state?

Cowbell
10-30-2019, 08:00 PM
I disagree with some of you guys on this. I get that he has a team to coach. A good coach that is going to be here next year would point out that they are not satisfied with the current state and that they have things to fix. His players and our fans need to know that his expectations are not being met. This is a dead giveaway that he’s gone and he knows it.

Cowbell
10-30-2019, 08:02 PM
The "excited about the current state" is awful. We've lost 4 in a row for the first time in a long time. Why in the world would you be excited about the current state?

Totally agree. That’s like saying you are satisfied with where we are. Definition of lowering the standards.

DogsofAnarchy
10-30-2019, 08:07 PM

He isn’t going anywhere. He isn’t going to quit and he isn’t going to be fired and we are NOT going to move forward. We will fall back further.

dawgday166
10-30-2019, 08:07 PM
I disagree with some of you guys on this. I get that he has a team to coach. A good coach that is going to be here next year would point out that they are not satisfied with the current state and that they have things to fix. His players and our fans need to know that his expectations are not being met. This is a dead giveaway that he’s gone and he knows it.

Bingo on all but the dead giveaway to being gone part. I'm not sure myself. But that would explain why he said "excited about last year, this year" and "if he was any better there'd be two of him". I personally would've said something that conveys the message you stated while maybe pointing the thumb back at myself even moreso.

ETA: And then going and working even harder to actual fix it, or at a minimum get it better and keep getting it better every week.

Goldendawg
10-30-2019, 08:12 PM

He's a joke and has been since day 1. All talk. Would make a great used car salesman, but after you're hooked, the car wouldn't even crank to get it off the lot. Sooner he's gone, the better for MSU FB. As for last year, it was the worse 8-5 season I have ever seen and never thought I would feel that way as a 64 year old lifetime MSU fan.

redstickdawg
10-30-2019, 08:20 PM
sometimes it is better to be quiet and thought a fool rather than open one's mouth and remove all doubt as Joe just did.

R2Dawg
10-30-2019, 08:21 PM
Have no problem with the first part. The middle part is a little dishonest - he can't be happy about where things are right now. That is how you lose a team, fanbase, etc.

I don't even understand the last part - he is so good, be two of him?? That comment scares me.

I get the coach speak stuff but part of it is over the top.

Katdoc12
10-30-2019, 08:28 PM
I disagree with some of you guys on this. I get that he has a team to coach. A good coach that is going to be here next year would point out that they are not satisfied with the current state and that they have things to fix. His players and our fans need to know that his expectations are not being met. This is a dead giveaway that he?s gone and he knows it.

Exactly! Im not sure it means he is gone, but stating that he is excited about the current state is the reason he needs to be. There are plenty of other things that would be appropriate to say, this is not one of them!

Fader21
10-30-2019, 08:36 PM
I know some on this board want him to come out and say " I hate this place, my wife has to grocery shop in Tupelo, I can't wait to take the Rutgers job and get back to the North."

TrapGame
10-30-2019, 08:41 PM
That's a dead coach walking.

I think this is about trying to keep the recruiting class together at this point.

Goldendawg
10-30-2019, 08:45 PM
I know some on this board want him to come out and say " I hate this place, my wife has to grocery shop in Tupelo, I can't wait to take the Rutgers job and get back to the North."

That would be more honest.

msstate7
10-30-2019, 08:46 PM

Nah, but I would like him to say this level of play is unacceptable and we're gonna fix it rather than he's pleased with it.

Schultzy
10-30-2019, 08:55 PM
He isn?t going anywhere. He isn?t going to quit and he isn?t going to be fired and we are NOT going to move forward. We will fall back further.

Why did this post make me laugh?

Political Hack
10-30-2019, 09:47 PM
Should've went with "I've run this program straight into the septic tank and probably deserve to be fired based on my teams massively disappointing performance this entire season and much of last season as well. However, y'all pay me a lot of money so I'm just going to keep coaching until somebody tells me to pack my bags."

maroonmania
10-30-2019, 09:58 PM
Nah, but I would like him to say this level of play is unacceptable and we're gonna fix it rather than he's pleased with it.

Exactly, its almost like the man is delirious. What you should come out and say is "Nobody involved with our program is happy with how we are playing right now. Our coaches aren't happy, our players aren't happy, and our fans aren't happy. But our staff and our players are working our tails off and doing everything possible each week to improve and live up to the standard we expect our team to perform to." Something along that line would be a lot more like what fans would like to hear.

bobtail bob
10-30-2019, 10:03 PM
It?s like he?s been abandoned by everyone. He sounds like a man resigned to his fate. This whole situation is pathetic and embarrassing. Somebody should be coaching him up on what to say at least for our image

DeltaChicagoDog
10-30-2019, 10:58 PM
Wow. Is Joe now trolling the fanbase? If not, he sounds like a man who has his exit strategy firmed up, has been given a solid reassurance he stays, or mentally working overtime to convince himself that everything’s alright and just “part of the process.” Then again, maybe it’s just coachspeak.

Todd4State
10-31-2019, 01:01 AM
It?s like he?s been abandoned by everyone. He sounds like a man resigned to his fate. This whole situation is pathetic and embarrassing. Somebody should be coaching him up on what to say at least for our image

He wants out. It’s very obvious.

TALL DAWG
10-31-2019, 07:17 AM
He wants out. It?s very obvious.

Perfect dream for ending of our season:
We finish 6-6....we get our Liberty or Independence....On Tuesday after Scrabbled
Egg Bowl...Coach Mo resigns to take job somewhere....Coach Hughes
coaches us to a bowl win (AGAIN)...and we move along to next hire.

Hell would have to get little icy and piggies begin to sprout wings but
with the outcome of the WS last night....with neither team winning a single
home game(unreal that happened as it never had before in ANY sport
with a 7-game series) we can dream!

As Zig Ziegler always said: DREAM BIG..:)

MarketingBully
10-31-2019, 09:11 AM
Win 3 of 4 and he can say what he wants to. He should win 3 of the next 4. Our team is more talented then 3 of the next 4 teams. Just get to 6-6 get to a bowl and he can say whatever the hell he wants to. Lose Saturday? He should be done. Just win baby!

Tbonewannabe
10-31-2019, 09:23 AM
Win 3 of 4 and he can say what he wants to. He should win 3 of the next 4. Our team is more talented then 3 of the next 4 teams. Just get to 6-6 get to a bowl and he can say whatever the hell he wants to. Lose Saturday? He should be done. Just win baby!

The problem is the gap between our talent and 3 of 4 should almost guarantee a win. Ark is just a plain shitshow right now with almost 3 years of no SEC wins and their coach has never won a P5 game. Abilene should be a win no matter what. We could probably make up a coaching staff with message board posters on Friday and win the game against Abilene. UM is a team that is improved but should still be a win at home. Winning these games just shows that the coaching staff hasn't quit. It doesn't say anything about the future of Joe's program.

Now if we played Bama tough, like within 10 points or so then that shows progress. However, that game will probably be over by the time the 2nd quarter starts.

KB21
10-31-2019, 09:27 AM

Technically, he has said that after every game. To this point, nothing has been fixed.

I’m of the opinion that whether we are 4-8 or 6-6, you fire him either way. Neither record is a positive reflection of his coaching ability, and I highly doubt that we are going to see a more disciplined, well prepared team in 3 of the last 4 games. To me, if you are willing to fire him for 4-8, you should be willing to fire him for 6-6 as well.

redstickdawg
10-31-2019, 09:37 AM
Technically, he has said that after every game. To this point, nothing has been fixed.

I’m of the opinion that whether we are 4-8 or 6-6, you fire him either way. Neither record is an positive reflection of his coaching ability, and I highly doubt that we are going to see a more disciplined, well prepared team in 3 of the last 4 games. To me, if you are willing to fire him for 4-8, you should be willing to fire him for 6-6 as well.

can't disagree

hacker
10-31-2019, 09:50 AM

Except when he says "we're gonna fix it" everybody gets mad too. He literally said that last week and everyone was up in arms about it.

https://cdn.someecards.com/someecards/usercards/1324596542030_7713053.png

Fred Garvin
10-31-2019, 10:29 AM
Except when he says "we're gonna fix it" everybody gets mad too. He literally said that last week and everyone was up in arms about it.

That meme perfectly describes the state of our fanbase

msstate7
10-31-2019, 11:04 AM

I don't listen to his press conferences. Just read that quote, and thought it was ridiculous. Hey, if you think he should be happy about our current state, more power to you.

MagicDawg
10-31-2019, 01:32 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/U4vrPoWnJh8ShyZGrr/giphy.gif

Yes, I made it. No, I'm not happy about it.

Tbonewannabe
10-31-2019, 01:38 PM

I think most people were happy he realized there was something to be fixed. Of course then he said the same thing after every loss so it kind of loses its impact. He was supposedly fixing it after every loss but we seem to steadily have the same problems and look worse by the week. I will say that he did fix the problem of the entire program looking like they didn't give a shit after UT. We at least look like a monkey wanting to 17 a football out there.