PDA

View Full Version : Who here would pay for a player's autograph?

RocketDawg
10-30-2019, 03:52 PM
I would not.

Todd4State
10-30-2019, 06:21 PM
For a son or daughter? Me.

MetEdDawg
10-30-2019, 06:23 PM
I would not.

So you are an automatic no if someone like Dak or Simmons autographs were available while they were here?

Count me in on paying for that. Question is how much. We talking $100 autographed football? Count me in.

Gutter Cobreh
10-30-2019, 06:26 PM
So you are an automatic no if someone like Dak or Simmons autographs were available while they were here?

Count me in on paying for that. Question is how much. We talking $100 autographed football? Count me in.

Completely agree w/ you. I've never been able to wrap my head around those that buy footballs autographed by a coach though. Wonder what a Mullen signed football fetches theses days?

OLJWales
10-30-2019, 06:36 PM
I paid some money for a JWS autographed MSU football helmet. Bought it in a Dallas sports bar. Can't remember how much but was not a lot. No regrets. Too old to wear sports gear with another dude's name on the back though, Would pay $0.00 for an athlete's sig.

RocketDawg
10-30-2019, 06:40 PM

I might have at one time, but not now. If it ever came to pass, I might pay $100 for a real football (not those white ones) signed by the entire team, but that's about it.

But I've never been one who would pay for an autograph. I remember going to a Braves game once in the '80s with my son (along with his best friend), and they had a "meet the players" time when you could go on the field and sort of meet the players. They were at tables behind ropes. They weren't supposed to sign autographs, I suppose be because of the time limitations, but Dale Murphy signed for both of the boys. And he didn't charge anything.

confucius say
10-30-2019, 06:42 PM
I would do it just to help said player out.

DownwardDawg
10-30-2019, 07:08 PM
I would in a heartbeat for my son or granddaughter.

Coach34
10-30-2019, 07:12 PM
Friends of the Program are going to start paying hundreds and thousands of dollars for player autographs- as well as recruits. That is going to come into play now. That is going to be the next step in recruiting. Recruits and players will be guaranteed x amount of money for autographs

Pay to play

confucius say
10-30-2019, 07:18 PM
Friends of the Program are going to start paying hundreds and thousands of dollars for player autographs- as well as recruits. That is going to come into play now. That is going to be the next step in recruiting. Recruits and players will be guaranteed x amount of money for autographs

Pay to play

You think that will be within the rules for recruits or outside of the rules?

ShotgunDawg
10-30-2019, 07:35 PM

Pay to play

I think the NCAA will create an approval process for all payments.

Meaning, you'll have to apply for approval to pay a player for autographs and those autographs will have to be for a reasonable rate. Same thing with other endorsements.

Liverpooldawg
10-30-2019, 07:40 PM
I think the NCAA will create an approval process for all payments.

Meaning, you'll have to apply for approval to pay a player for autographs and those autographs will have to be for a reasonable rate. Same thing with other endorsements.

According to California law they can't.

Dawgology
10-30-2019, 07:42 PM
I would. And I have.

Mobile Bay
10-30-2019, 07:48 PM
According to California law they can't.

I don't see any way the NCAA doesn't kick out all California Schools or become a professional minor league for the NFL, which will be dominated by the big name programs even more than it is.

parabrave
10-30-2019, 07:53 PM
I might have at one time, but not now. If it ever came to pass, I might pay $100 for a real football (not those white ones) signed by the entire team, but that's about it.

But I've never been one who would pay for an autograph. I remember going to a Braves game once in the '80s with my son (along with his best friend), and they had a "meet the players" time when you could go on the field and sort of meet the players. They were at tables behind ropes. They weren't supposed to sign autographs, I suppose be because of the time limitations, but Dale Murphy signed for both of the boys. And he didn't charge anything.

Saw Dale at a minor league game in Biloxi a few years ago. Got him to sign a ball for my friends son. Great guy.

Madisonmd
10-31-2019, 06:26 AM
Pandora's box...

Dawgology
10-31-2019, 07:23 AM
Pandora's box...

That's exactly what it is.

Imagine the NFL without a salary cap or a results based draft. The NFL was wise enough to realize that without these it would have ruined their league due to lack of parity. It's just so strange that college football is now heading right towards that with so little thought to the results.

lefty96
10-31-2019, 07:29 AM
I paid $50 for a Fergie Jenkins autograph at Wrigley this year for some charity event. Don't believe I would pay for a college players signature.

quickstrike2
10-31-2019, 07:47 AM
If this is how the game is going to be played, then yes. I would pay for a few autographs here and there to directly help our players or help players to get to State. I am not talking about huge amounts, but I could handle a few $100 footballs.

Jack Lambert
10-31-2019, 08:09 AM
If my kid wanted it and we needed to pay then I would. I really don't care about autographs myself.

Johnson85
10-31-2019, 08:19 AM
I would not.

Are you asking who would pay for an autograph? Or who would "pay for an autograph" as a friend of the program. I would would not o the former. I would in theory be willing to pay for something like a ball or schedule autographed by a team like the 2014 teams or something, but I just don't like that stuff enough to carve out a space for it in my house, so still probably wouldn't in practice.

I would "pay for an autograph", but I would feel stupid doing it. I'd probably only want to do it for somebody that is at least local or I could come up with some sort of connection to. If I could get like an autographed picture of the athlete with kids and it was an athlete that had pro potential, I'd feel less stupid about it, because they might like having it later on.

PMDawg
10-31-2019, 08:23 AM
I would not.

I bet Political Hack would.

SheltonChoked
10-31-2019, 01:23 PM
I don't see any way the NCAA doesn't kick out all California Schools or become a professional minor league for the NFL, which will be dominated by the big name programs even more than it is.

Add in the Florida schools, New York and New Jersey schools, Illinois, Colorado...

To answer the OP, I would. Not $100, but I'd pay

Maroonthirteen
10-31-2019, 02:23 PM
Speaking of paying $100k for a high school DLiNemans autograph, what do we make of this line from the NCAAs policy...

“To benefit from their name and likeness in a manner consistent with the collegiate model...”

What does that mean? A player can have an autograph session or shoot a commercial but it must be with in the rules of the ncaa? A booster can’t hire for commercial or attend an autograph session nor purchase an autograph? No idea. Just guessing.

Political Hack
10-31-2019, 02:27 PM
I bet Political Hack would.

I pay for SA autographs all the time.***

Apoplectic
10-31-2019, 02:35 PM
nope