PDA

View Full Version : Could Joe Judge Be Our Guy?

ShotgunDawg
10-30-2019, 02:14 PM
Just reading up on him.

I didn't realize that he was promoted over the off season & is now the Patriots' special teams coordinator, WR coach, & is apparently a rising star in the coaching ranks.

He doesn't have any experience recruiting, which would be a concern, but it's hard not to think about the possibilities here.

I especially like his versatility & Belichick doesn't give coaches two jobs that he doesn't think are awesome coaches.

Here's a good article on him here. Seems like he should be a future candidate to be at MSU, but I'm not sure of his path to get here. Would be a pretty big risk to hire a guy without any OC or DC experience & no recruiting experience.

What do you guys think?

https://patriotswire.usatoday.com/2019/05/10/joe-judge-promotion-patriots/

Ifyouonlyknew
10-30-2019, 02:31 PM
No - if you're firing a guy after 2 seasons you damn sure don't replace him with an experiment. Esp an experiment who doesn't coach in college & has never been a coordinator. We better hire a more proven commodity. A sitting HC. They don't have to be a sitting P5 coach but damn sure better be a HC.

Cowbell
10-30-2019, 02:35 PM
No - if you're firing a guy after 2 seasons you damn sure don't replace him with an experiment. Esp an experiment who doesn't coach in college & has never been a coordinator. We better hire a more proven commodity. A sitting HC. They don't have to be a sitting P5 coach but damn sure better be a HC.

Agreed. All though I hope Judge keeps building his resume to make him a candidate some day.

Liverpooldawg
10-30-2019, 02:36 PM
If we fire one after 2 years the next one will HAVE to get 4 years.

sonofozarka
10-30-2019, 02:37 PM
Definitely not... it's a "cool story" that he's working for Belicheck and has worked his way up to WR coach, but everyone here would think it would be a terrible hire if we got ANY OTHER 1st yr WR coach in the NFL (IF he weren't an MSU alum).

People are just enamored with the idea b/c he works for Belichick.

He's never been an OC or DC so he's not going to be able to bring in or run a dynamic O or D...
He's never worked in college.
He doesn't have experience working with many people or have connections in the game, so who in the hell would he hire as OC/DC? Patriots analysts?

Commercecomet24
10-30-2019, 02:53 PM
Judge is an nfl guy. He wants to be a HC in the NFL.

Commercecomet24
10-30-2019, 02:53 PM

Right on! I want a proven HC from somewhere.

ScoobaDawg
10-30-2019, 02:59 PM
Just reading up on him.

I didn't realize that he was promoted over the off season & is now the Patriots' special teams coordinator, WR coach, & is apparently a rising star in the coaching ranks.

He doesn't have any experience recruiting, which would be a concern, but it's hard not to think about the possibilities here.

I especially like his versatility & Belichick doesn't give coaches two jobs that he doesn't think are awesome coaches.

Here's a good article on him here. Seems like he should be a future candidate to be at MSU, but I'm not sure of his path to get here. Would be a pretty big risk to hire a guy without any OC or DC experience & no recruiting experience.

What do you guys think?

You are damn delusional. No freaking way... look WE want joe gone... go make a list...and this guy ain't one.

Tbonewannabe
10-30-2019, 03:17 PM
Judge is an nfl guy. He wants to be a HC in the NFL.

My buddy played football with him at MSU, apparently MSU Head Coach is his dream job.

Tbonewannabe
10-30-2019, 03:19 PM
Definitely not... it's a "cool story" that he's working for Belicheck and has worked his way up to WR coach, but everyone here would think it would be a terrible hire if we got ANY OTHER 1st yr WR coach in the NFL (IF he weren't an MSU alum).

People are just enamored with the idea b/c he works for Belichick.

He's never been an OC or DC so he's not going to be able to bring in or run a dynamic O or D...
He's never worked in college.
He doesn't have experience working with many people or have connections in the game, so who in the hell would he hire as OC/DC? Patriots analysts?

He worked under Saban before going to the NFL. Although he wasn't an on the field coach so I could see the lack of experience there would eliminate him.

Hambone
10-30-2019, 03:20 PM
Wait, so Shotgun has blasted Cohen for hiring a guy with basically no head coaching experience (Even though he was a HC at some level) but is now lobbying for a former player with just a few years of coaching experience and never a head coach?

Come on Shotgun

Commercecomet24
10-30-2019, 03:22 PM
My buddy played football with him at MSU, apparently MSU Head Coach is his dream job.

Not doubting that at all. All the Pats beat guys and message boards say he's working his way up so he can get a HC job in the NFL. Both could be his dream, I'm sure but his career trajectory now says NFL.

Gutter Cobreh
10-30-2019, 03:24 PM
Not doubting that at all. All the Pats beat guys and message boards say he's working his way up so he can get a HC job in the NFL. Both could be his dream, I'm sure but his career trajectory now says NFL.

Plus as Special Teams Coordinator, he couldn't keep Gostkowski from getting injured this year... and we know from reading this board that it means S&C must be lacking... Can't bring that "soft ass" culture here...***

Commercecomet24
10-30-2019, 03:26 PM
Plus as Special Teams Coordinator, he couldn't keep Gostkowski from getting injured this year... and we know from reading this board that it means S&C must be lacking... Can't bring that "soft ass" culture here...***

LOL Now thats funny! And now that you mention the Pats have had a ton of injuries this year! Judge must be getting tips from Jomo!

Tbonewannabe
10-30-2019, 03:26 PM
Wait, so Shotgun has blasted Cohen for hiring a guy with basically no head coaching experience (Even though he was a HC at some level) but is now lobbying for a former player with just a few years of coaching experience and never a head coach?

Come on Shotgun

I don't think he is the right guy but he has coached under Saban and Belicheck. Lasting and getting promoted under Belicheck says a lot about his ability and work ethic. At the end of the day, he has been a coach for around 12 or so years but not much with college recruiting. I think we need someone that is at least a good recruiter or can get a great recruiting staff. Mullen wasn't a great recruiter but having his country club who also weren't great really hampered our ability to compete at the highest level.

Commercecomet24
10-30-2019, 03:28 PM
I don't think he is the right guy but he has coached under Saban and Belicheck. Lasting and getting promoted under Belicheck says a lot about his ability and work ethic. At the end of the day, he has been a coach for around 12 or so years but not much with college recruiting. I think we need someone that is at least a good recruiter or can get a great recruiting staff. Mullen wasn't a great recruiter but having his country club who also weren't great really hampered our ability to compete at the highest level.

Belichick thinks very highly of Judge. He's definitely on the rise.

Tbonewannabe
10-30-2019, 03:29 PM

Yep, his opportunities seem to be in the NFL game. It seems like he would have to take a lower level college job and prove he could handle and excel at the recruiting aspect. Sometimes you just have to follow where the opportunities lead you.

Commercecomet24
10-30-2019, 03:34 PM
Yep, his opportunities seem to be in the NFL game. It seems like he would have to take a lower level college job and prove he could handle and excel at the recruiting aspect. Sometimes you just have to follow where the opportunities lead you.

You right and he's in the right place and with the right guy to move him up. NFL teams sure like taking Belichicks guys as HC's(even though the track record isn't great). I hope Judge becomes a star coach in the league. Would be cool if he could come back to State one day.

Johnson85
10-30-2019, 03:46 PM

Why would we need a sitting head coach this time when we are a less desirable job now than we were when we hired Joe? I'm certainly fine with a G5 head coach, but it seems like you are asking for a higher standard now than we had two years ago, when the only thing that is more desirable about the job now is that there will be a less successful recent coach to compare performance to.

I'd certainly lean towards spending more for a more proven commodity now and giving up potential upside to (hopefully) eliminate some down side just because making two bad hires in a row would be devastating, but firing a guy after two seasons doesn't really have anyhing to do with it.

PMDawg
10-30-2019, 03:46 PM

Thank you.

Dawgology
10-30-2019, 03:53 PM
I think he would be one that you let become a head coach at a G5 school for a while before you drop him in as head coach of an SEC program.

RocketDawg
10-30-2019, 04:08 PM
No. He has almost 2 years less head coaching experience than Joe Moorhead.

ShotgunDawg
10-30-2019, 04:13 PM
You are damn delusional. No freaking way... look WE want joe gone... go make a list...and this guy ain't one.

Hey dumbass, was just starting a discussion. My post had tons of reservations.

Stop with the accusatory crap. We're just fishing here

ShotgunDawg
10-30-2019, 04:14 PM

Come on Shotgun

Read my post

At what point did I lobby for him?

brick_dawg
10-30-2019, 04:50 PM

Preach brother! IMO the next guy cant even be a coordinator. He has to be a sitting head coach with success at the FBS level. Gotta be willing to spend $$$ to get the next guy. If you want to play with the big boys you have to pay like them too. Im not saying $7+ million but you gotta be in the $4-6 million range for sure.

ShotgunDawg
10-30-2019, 05:44 PM
Preach brother! IMO the next guy cant even be a coordinator. He has to be a sitting head coach with success at the FBS level. Gotta be willing to spend $$$ to get the next guy. If you want to play with the big boys you have to pay like them too. Im not saying $7+ million but you gotta be in the $4-6 million range for sure.

IDK. I don't think we should remove an 3/4 of the potential options. Many of the best hires have come from the coordinator rolls.

Day
Riley
Smart
Cristobal
etc.

I'm with in that we need to get a sitting head coach, but, if a good won't come, I don't think you settle for a guy like the dude at NC State a few years ago that was rumored to be going everywhere.

OLJWales
10-30-2019, 05:55 PM
Just reading up on him.

What do you guys think?

No, cuz his name is Joe. **** but on a serious note, NO. We need someone who knows the ends and outs of SEC football. I want Napier who has done well as the HC at LA.

Todd4State
10-31-2019, 01:17 AM
If MSU is his dream job that could bode very well for us in the future if he pans out as a coach.

I think he could work out if it's a situation like LSU where he is the head coach and we get some good coordinators like Brady from LSU and then a good DC.

As far as the recruiting goes- he was under Saban so I'm sure he learned some things there. I think it would be important to make sure that we keep Hughes on staff and maybe find a spot for Peterson on the field.

I know that there is some experimental "risk" here- but even with a G5 coach we're not going to avoid that unless we pull a miracle and get Urban Meyer. Remember a lot of LSU fans didn't want Orgeron.

I really think the LSU coaching model- which was actually similar to what we had with Sherrill- is maybe the best way to go because it doesn't lock us in to where we have to run coach X's offense no matter what. You have a CEO coach who manages the team. Doesn't worry about calling all the plays. Let's his people do their thing. And just go with it.

Pipedream
10-31-2019, 08:24 AM
I would 100% interview him. Anyone that has learned how to build football teams through the lens of Nick Saban and BB has some serious chops. You don't get in those two rooms if you don't know your stuff and know how to deal with talent and how to build a team. Secondly, his background is on ST which means he works with all different types of players and different skills. He's now starting working with the offense this season and I'm sure he knows plenty about defensive football as well. He's on the fast track to being an NFL HC, so the people saying that he doesn't have the resume, I don't agree. If he's good enough to eventually be an NFL HC, we would be foolish to think we're above a candidate of that caliber, regardless of their affiliation. Now, there are some reservations obviously. What's your recruiting plan? Staffing plan? Schemes? Etc. All that would be make or break stuff, but I'd definitely want to get in front of him and see what he has to say.

Tbonewannabe
10-31-2019, 09:15 AM
I would 100% interview him. Anyone that has learned how to build football teams through the lens of Nick Saban and BB has some serious chops. You don't get in those two rooms if you don't know your stuff and know how to deal with talent and how to build a team. Secondly, his background is on ST which means he works with all different types of players and different skills. He's now starting working with the offense this season and I'm sure he knows plenty about defensive football as well. He's on the fast track to being an NFL HC, so the people saying that he doesn't have the resume, I don't agree. If he's good enough to eventually be an NFL HC, we would be foolish to think we're above a candidate of that caliber, regardless of their affiliation. Now, there are some reservations obviously. What's your recruiting plan? Staffing plan? Schemes? Etc. All that would be make or break stuff, but I'd definitely want to get in front of him and see what he has to say.

Cohen would be a moron to not at least interview all the candidates that are interested like Joe Judge. You never know how it will work out. I always interviewed anyone that was qualified to a point. I understand Cohen can't interview 100 people but he damn sure needs to interview guys like Whittingham and Satterfield this time around. I would throw Judge in with this group since he seems like he is one of the hot names on Belicheck's staff right now.

Dawgfan77
10-31-2019, 09:22 AM
Call me what you will but I want a sitting G 5 HC and not a career NFL guy. I?m sure Judge is a good coach but he has never recruited or been an on field coach at the collegiate level.

Johnson85
10-31-2019, 09:41 AM
Cohen would be a moron to not at least interview all the candidates that are interested like Joe Judge. You never know how it will work out. I always interviewed anyone that was qualified to a point. I understand Cohen can't interview 100 people but he damn sure needs to interview guys like Whittingham and Satterfield this time around. I would throw Judge in with this group since he seems like he is one of the hot names on Belicheck's staff right now.

He's not remotely qualified. That's not a knock on him. He's an up and coming coach working for one of if not the best NFL coach out there, and I'm guessing he'll get a shot at a coordinator job in the next couple of years. But it's just too big of a jump from position coach to head coach.

Tbonewannabe
10-31-2019, 09:46 AM
He's not remotely qualified. That's not a knock on him. He's an up and coming coach working for one of if not the best NFL coach out there, and I'm guessing he'll get a shot at a coordinator job in the next couple of years. But it's just too big of a jump from position coach to head coach.

I personally wouldn't hire him but I would think Cohen should at least give him an interview just to gauge where he is and what kind of ideas he has. You never can tell what kind of information that you can get. Maybe Judge gives him some insight into something that he missed when hiring Moorhead. It might not mean that we hire Judge but we choose between other candidates better.

Johnson85
10-31-2019, 09:49 AM
I personally wouldn't hire him but I would think Cohen should at least give him an interview just to gauge where he is and what kind of ideas he has. You never can tell what kind of information that you can get. Maybe Judge gives him some insight into something that he missed when hiring Moorhead. It might not mean that we hire Judge but we choose between other candidates better.

If you just want to reach out to him to touch base and talk about his future plans and whether MSU might be in them and whether there is anything MSU can do to help further his career (like maybe mention to the next coach that Judge might be a potential Special teams coach that can assist and learn from the offensive coordinator), that's great. I just don't think you call it an interview when there's nothing Judge could say in his interview to make you hire him as the next head coach.

RocketDawg
10-31-2019, 07:13 PM

How about the Appalacian State guy? He's 7-0 and almost certainly will be 8-0 after tonight's game. He was the OC at NC State last year.

THE Bruce Dickinson
10-31-2019, 07:17 PM
Do you think Vic Schaefer would approve the hire?

parabrave
10-31-2019, 07:47 PM

Come on Shotgun

Shotgun is standing infront of a barn throwing shi^ at it hoping something sticks.

R2Dawg
10-31-2019, 08:16 PM
If we fire one after 2 years the next one will HAVE to get 4 years.

This is so true which is why the next hire is critical to hit for our future next 10 years.

Todd4State
10-31-2019, 08:24 PM
Judge sort of reminds me of Cohen in baseball around the time we hired Polk II. You kind of knew that he would probably be our coach one day and was probably going to be pretty good but he wasn’t ready in 2001. Judge may be the guy after our next guy though.

Cooterpoot
10-31-2019, 09:11 PM
How about the Appalacian State guy? He's 7-0 and almost certainly will be 8-0 after tonight's game. He was the OC at NC State last year.

App St getting handled by GA Southern right now. We won’t hire a first year HC anyway.

Really Clark?
11-01-2019, 09:38 AM
App St getting handled by GA Southern right now. We won’t hire a first year HC anyway.

Yes and never hire they guy after just 1 or 2 years following a very successful coach...especially from the lower ranks. You need to see his track record maintains/building a program after the previous coaches recruits and presence has been removed for a few years at least. It’s what makes Huepel a no go right now as well. And I know a lot of people like him, I like him, but Napier time is too short as a HC as well. Although he has built at ULL fairly well and quickly.

Really Clark?
11-01-2019, 09:42 AM
Double Post