PDA

View Full Version : QB Transfer Portal is Filling Up

ShotgunDawg
10-30-2019, 10:44 AM
So what happens when the transfer portal becomes over saturated with QBs or can it?

KT will enter the transfer portal following the season
Grant Tisdale from OM, 4 star QB, just entered the transfer portal yesterday
Joey Gatewood just entered the transfer portal today.

So, where is this going?

What QB is LSU going to grab next year as a grad transfer?

The end result of this IMO is that we'll never see the blue bloods down again, since they now have unlimited resources to fix a potential QB problem, which is the only reason they are usually down anyway.

Secondly, seems like every college football team is about to be a QB injury away from disaster, which is honestly fine with me. I think that could bring about some parity.

Lastly, if you're a G5 program, why would you ever sign a HS QB? Just get guys out of the transfer portal

Jack Lambert
10-30-2019, 10:57 AM
I think where it is going is the schools who continue to sign high school guys are going to developed two to three deep QB's on roster. Yes some of the QB's going to leave but once you start doing the portal thing you can't go back. That school better hope a good one inters the portal or they are going to be screwed. OK has not developed a QB in a long time. Who will they get? Right now you will have both LSU and OK needed QB's.

TNDawg35
10-30-2019, 11:11 AM
If I was Ole Miss I would make Plumlee and jet sweep type running back or scat back and keep Tisdale. He can actually throw the ball worth a crap. He is better the Plumlee and Corrall to be honest.

ShotgunDawg
10-30-2019, 11:12 AM
If I was Ole Miss I would make Plumlee and jet sweep type running back or scat back and keep Tisdale. He can actually throw the ball worth a crap. He is better the Plumlee and Corrall to be honest.

I'm not sure Plumlee stays at Ole Miss under those circumstances. Plumlee signed with OM due to his ability to potentially play QB there

trojandawg
10-30-2019, 11:56 AM
that's also what worried me about Moorhead. Instead of using the highly recruited guys he had, he blew up the qb room to go get stevens and then ends up playing the freshmen. I keep seeing lot of excuses by Moorhead and Rosebowl about him playing a freshmen. No, he chose to play a freshmen. he could have played KT this year and been no worse record wise.

I think it's very important to find a coach who recruits to bring in guys and develops them and the qb room so we have a guy ready to roll every two years when the senior graduates. I just don't think the transfer portal is long term sustainable. just like this year we took a gamble and it was bust. Ole miss did that for a long time they didn't develop any qbs for about 12 years.

Todd4State
10-30-2019, 12:04 PM
that's also what worried me about Moorhead. Instead of using the highly recruited guys he had, he blew up the qb room to go get stevens and then ends up playing the freshmen. I keep seeing lot of excuses by Moorhead and Rosebowl about him playing a freshmen. No, he chose to play a freshmen. he could have played KT this year and been no worse record wise.

I think it's very important to find a coach who recruits to bring in guys and develops them and the qb room so we have a guy ready to roll every two years when the senior graduates. I just don't think the transfer portal is long term sustainable. just like this year we took a gamble and it was bust. Ole miss did that for a long time they didn't develop any qbs for about 12 years.

There is risk either way we go. We might end up with Joe Burrow. We might end up with Tommy Stevens. Just because Stevens didn?t work out it doesn?t mean that we shouldn?t pursue that avenue. The odds are we end up with someone between Stevens and Burrow.

KT just isn?t that good. I don?t know why we have some fans that can?t understand that possibility.

trojandawg
10-30-2019, 12:10 PM
i just don't think we have seen enough of KT in the right offense to be able to come to that judgment. so far no qb has looked amazing in the Moorhead offense. We get a different coach in here, and KT might excel.

i agree you may get a good qb and you might not, but you are lot better off if you aren't depending on it and developing your recruited qb's into a sustainable load and play. We need a qb developer on the staff no matter who is coach. If it's not the head guy, we need someone with experience under a qb developer as our QB coach. i'm not impressed at all with Breiner.

RiverCityDawg
10-30-2019, 12:11 PM
There is risk either way we go. We might end up with Joe Burrow. We might end up with Tommy Stevens. Just because Stevens didn?t work out it doesn?t mean that we shouldn?t pursue that avenue. The odds are we end up with someone between Stevens and Burrow.

KT just isn?t that good. I don?t know why we have some fans that can?t understand that possibility.

Good points. I think Shrader would have passed KT as some point anyway, so without Tommy coming here the can would just have been kicked down the road a little.

PMDawg
10-30-2019, 12:16 PM
So what happens when the transfer portal becomes over saturated with QBs or can it?

KT will enter the transfer portal following the season
Grant Tisdale from OM, 4 star QB, just entered the transfer portal yesterday
Joey Gatewood just entered the transfer portal today.

So, where is this going?

What QB is LSU going to grab next year as a grad transfer?

The end result of this IMO is that we'll never see the blue bloods down again, since they now have unlimited resources to fix a potential QB problem, which is the only reason they are usually down anyway.

Secondly, seems like every college football team is about to be a QB injury away from disaster, which is honestly fine with me. I think that could bring about some parity.

Lastly, if you're a G5 program, why would you ever sign a HS QB? Just get guys out of the transfer portal

And with Joey Gatewood gone, Cord Sandberg is now 1 play away from being a starting QB in our division. Nice**

bluelightstar
10-30-2019, 12:27 PM

We don't know that at all! That's the problem. Shrader is graded on a curve that KT is not. Not to mention, Moorhead hasn't shown that he knows jack about QBs in the first place.

Todd4State
10-30-2019, 12:40 PM
We don't know that at all! That's the problem. Shrader is graded on a curve that KT is not. Not to mention, Moorhead hasn't shown that he knows jack about QBs in the first place.

How is he graded on a “different curve”? I have seen both play and if I had to pick it would be Shrader without any hesitation.

R2Dawg
10-30-2019, 12:40 PM

Agree with this. That is one thing Joe has messed up since he has been here. He messed up Fitz senior year then he completely blows up QB position this year over being stubborn over running "his" offense. We don't ever need to hire another guy stuck on one thing ever again. OK to have a history or bias but not just that is the only thing they can run.

bluelightstar
10-30-2019, 12:53 PM
How is he graded on a “different curve”? I have seen both play and if I had to pick it would be Shrader without any hesitation.

Shrader -- so far-- has been a roughly 50% passer who can also run. Fitz and KT have both been knocked for being inaccurate passers who can run. "Well, he's a true freshman," you say; so was KT.

ShotgunDawg
10-30-2019, 01:14 PM
Shrader -- so far-- has been a roughly 50% passer who can also run. Fitz and KT have both been knocked for being inaccurate passers who can run. "Well, he's a true freshman," you say; so was KT.

He's a 55% passer

Dawg-gone-dawgs
10-30-2019, 01:39 PM
..... keep Tisdale....

like they have a choice

Hambone
10-30-2019, 01:49 PM
He's a 55% passer

But KT, who is a CAREER 46% passer and less of a rusher than Shrader is who should be given the shot.....

Some people argue just to argue.

HancockCountyDog
10-30-2019, 01:50 PM
How is he graded on a ?different curve?? I have seen both play and if I had to pick it would be Shrader without any hesitation.

When you compare the stats of KT versus Shrader - its not as clear cut as some would leave you to believe.

I still think its been a mistake to not run the KT/Mullen offense this year. Now if KT is refusing to play - then I'm just wrong - but I haven't heard that at all.

MD2020
10-30-2019, 01:53 PM

KT is better than Shrader. All this BS here can't play is coming from the Moorehead narrative that he was beat out. Here was under poor management of a coach who was biased. Shrader is a poor man Fitz right now. We haven't scored a TD in the 1st quarter since week 2.

MD2020
10-30-2019, 01:55 PM

Then you're as bad as Joe. Shrader has won no games starting. KT is undefeated and beat a Heisman winner.

ShotgunDawg
10-30-2019, 01:57 PM
I think the entire KT QB conversation is a hindsight 20/20, crappy, stupide discussion.

I'm the biggest Joe hater, but here are some thoughts.

1. KT couldn't run Joe's offense & Stevens can when healthy.
2. Blaming Joe for Stevens injuries is an insult to common sense & stupid.
3. If you believe that bringing Stevens in hurt the locker room, then I can see your point. But I'd also add that a healthy productive Stevens would have a good locker room as well.
4. Shrader is better than KT. He just is. In every facet, he's a better QB prospect. Don't argue this. If you think KT should've started so that we could preserve Shrader's RS, then Ok, but just realize that we would've been playing the 2nd best QB.

I just find the entire KT discussion be a loser argument made by justifiably angry people looking to kill Joe. I can find plenty of things to destroy Joe with other than this & you should too because the KT conversation is stupid.

ShotgunDawg
10-30-2019, 01:59 PM
Then you're as bad as Joe. Shrader has won no games starting. KT is undefeated and beat a Heisman winner.

That's just a ridiculous stupid argument. KT started a game in which we were running Mullen's offense with an outstanding team culture. Shrader is BY FAR the better QB prospect. It's not close

Justin Verlander is 0-6 in World Series Games so I guess he sucks as well

Ifyouonlyknew
10-30-2019, 02:01 PM
When you compare the stats of KT versus Shrader - its not as clear cut as some would leave you to believe.

I still think its been a mistake to not run the KT/Mullen offense this year. Now if KT is refusing to play - then I'm just wrong - but I haven't heard that at all.

Not saying who I think is better but KT stats are vs OM, Peter Sirmon, & SFA. Shrader has played against 5 SEC schools, 3 on the road.

Also KT didn't return to the team to play. He came back to finish this semester since the transfer wasn't at the best time for him. He was only going to play if nobody else was available. Joe isn't overlooking KT they both agreed to this. KT was beaten out by Tommy. Tommy was the better QB but he's proven he can't stay healthy. Mayden is suspended 2/3 of the year so the job went to Shrader. Shrader has shown he's ready for SEC play & has taken the job & ran with it.

Ifyouonlyknew
10-30-2019, 02:02 PM

You forgot the Kentucky game.

HancockCountyDog
10-30-2019, 02:05 PM
I think the entire KT QB conversation is a hindsight 20/20, crappy, stupide discussion.

I'm the biggest Joe hater, but here are some thoughts.

1. KT couldn't run Joe's offense & Stevens can when healthy.
2. Blaming Joe for Stevens injuries is an insult to common sense & stupid.
3. If you believe that bringing Stevens in hurt the locker room, then I can see your point. But I'd also add that a healthy productive Stevens would have a good locker room as well.
4. Shrader is better than KT. He just is. In every facet, he's a better QB prospect. Don't argue this. If you think KT should've started so that we could preserve Shrader's RS, then Ok, but just realize that we would've been playing the 2nd best QB.

I just find the entire KT discussion be a loser argument made by justifiably angry people looking to kill Joe. I can find plenty of things to destroy Joe with other than this & you should too because the KT conversation is stupid.

Here is the part of the KT discussion I think you may be missing.

I agree with you that KT trying to run "Joe's offense" would most likely be a loser.

The problem is that why is Joe so dead set to run his offense. Last year -we went with the "Mullen" offense in A&M and Auburn and won those games. We lost the Florida and KY games trying to force into a QB that fits his system. I think that was a mistake, same way I think trying to force KT to run your offense is a mistake.

Look - KT was a special recruit/QB athlete that was built to run Mullen's offense. The fact that Joe has just decided to run his offense, talent be damned is what is causing so much of these problems.

You know why our OL has regressed? Because they are being asked to do things that they really aren't equipped to do. They are being asked to pass block for 5 seconds. They are being asked to move in space more. Our OL was recruited and coached to play down hill and create running lanes and give QB short amount of time for quick passes. The reason they look like shit now is because they are being asked to run a pro style offense. The same way Mullen tried to adapt his offense to Tyler Russell. We have not recruited well enough on the OL to have NFL OT's that can protect a pro style QB.

The frustration is simply chalking up KT as a lost cause because he can't run Joe's offense. So far - I haven't seen a QB run it well. At this point the season may be lost and its too late - but no one will convince me that KT couldn't have taken our OL and Kylin and scored points by running the ball.

I just don't believe so many people both inside and outside the program that said KT was the next big thing were wrong.

MD2020
10-30-2019, 02:08 PM
That's just a ridiculous stupid argument. KT started a game in which we were running Mullen's offense with an outstanding team culture. Shrader is BY FAR the better QB prospect. It's not close

Justin Verlander is 0-6 in World Series Games so I guess he sucks as well

Shrader is terrible right now. He hasn't scored a TD in the 1st quarter. Future potential only

MD2020
10-30-2019, 02:09 PM
You forgot the Kentucky game.

My bad

bluelightstar
10-30-2019, 02:13 PM
I just don't believe so many people both inside and outside the program that said KT was the next big thing were wrong.

That includes, of course, Shotgun himself.

https://www.elitedawgs.com/showthread.php?51671-Keytaon-Thompson-Is-Currently-On-the-Field-Practicing-at-MSU (https://www.elitedawgs.com/showthread.php?51671-Keytaon-Thompson-Is-Currently-On-the-Field-Practicing-at-MSU/page2&highlight=keytaon)

https://www.elitedawgs.com/showthread.php?51194-Keytaon-Thompson-Is-Giving-Me-Warm-amp-Fuzzies (https://www.elitedawgs.com/showthread.php?51194-Keytaon-Thompson-Is-Giving-Me-Warm-amp-Fuzzies&highlight=keytaon)

https://www.elitedawgs.com/showthread.php?49495-Keytaon-Thompson (https://www.elitedawgs.com/showthread.php?49495-Keytaon-Thompson&highlight=keytaon)

https://www.elitedawgs.com/showthread.php?60474-Keytaon-Thompson (https://www.elitedawgs.com/showthread.php?60474-Keytaon-Thompson&highlight=keytaon)

HancockCountyDog
10-30-2019, 02:14 PM
Not saying who I think is better but KT stats are vs OM, Peter Sirmon, & SFA. Shrader has played against 5 SEC schools, 3 on the road.

Also KT didn't return to the team to play. He came back to finish this semester since the transfer wasn't at the best time for him. He was only going to play if nobody else was available. Joe isn't overlooking KT they both agreed to this. KT was beaten out by Tommy. Tommy was the better QB but he's proven he can't stay healthy. Mayden is suspended 2/3 of the year so the job went to Shrader. Shrader has shown he's ready for SEC play & has taken the job & ran with it.

I'm not saying Shrader won't be good - I think he can be good. I'm just saying the decision to go with Joe's offense this year was a mistake. I think putting your eggs in the Tommy basket because he can run your offense better was a mistake. I think losing a guy like KT who was well liked and fit the offense he was recruited to - and specifically the offense that would be on the field this year was a mistake.

If the agreement was that KT would be allowed back on the team - but wouldn't play unless there was an emergency - then I guess it is what it is, but I just hate that it came to that point.

ShotgunDawg
10-30-2019, 02:18 PM
The problem is that why is Joe so dead set to run his offense..

I'm not a Joe fan, but why do you assume that Joe knows Mullen's offense? Joe's never ran the Mullen offense or coached under anyone who did.

We've never run the Mullen under Joe unless you are reducing that offense to simply the zone read.

Ifyouonlyknew
10-30-2019, 02:19 PM
These are the season stats for every True Freshman QB in the SEC who's started a game.

Bo Nix - 8 games/8 GS 110/204 53.9% 1458yds 12TD 6INT 127.5 Rating 59.5 QBR 62 carries 194yds 4TD

Brian Maurer - 5 games/3 GS 27/55 49.1% 426yds 2TD 5INT 108.0 Rating 66.6 QBR 4 carries 16yds 1TD

John Rys Plumlee - 5 games/3 GS 39/82 47.6% 456yds 4TD 1INT 107.9 Rating 64.1 QBR 86 carries 508yds 4TD

Garrett Shrader - 7 games/ GS 75/136 55.1% 1022yds 7TD 5INT 127.9 Ratimg 70.3 QBR 92 carries 504yds 3TD

He's showing that he has the potential to be an All SEC QB.

ShotgunDawg
10-30-2019, 02:20 PM
Shrader is terrible right now. He hasn't scored a TD in the 1st quarter. Future potential only

That has very little to do with Shrader. I think Shrader has been fantastic considering his terrible protection, dancing RB, & the terrible offensive system he's playing in.

He's completing 55% of his passes, ran for 504, & thrown for over 1,000 yards

If you're blaming Shrader for any of this, you clearly don't understand football

Ifyouonlyknew
10-30-2019, 02:20 PM
I'm not saying Shrader won't be good - I think he can be good. I'm just saying the decision to go with Joe's offense this year was a mistake. I think putting your eggs in the Tommy basket because he can run your offense better was a mistake. I think losing a guy like KT who was well liked and fit the offense he was recruited to - and specifically the offense that would be on the field this year was a mistake.

If the agreement was that KT would be allowed back on the team - but wouldn't play unless there was an emergency - then I guess it is what it is, but I just hate that it came to that point.

Yea but you don't bring in a coach & tell him don't run his offense. That's just not practical.

ShotgunDawg
10-30-2019, 02:21 PM
These are the season stats for every True Freshman QB in the SEC who's started a game.

Bo Nix - 8 games/8 GS 110/204 53.9% 1458yds 12TD 6INT 127.5 Rating 59.5 QBR 62 carries 194yds 4TD

Brian Maurer - 5 games/3 GS 27/55 49.1% 426yds 2TD 5INT 108.0 Rating 66.6 QBR 4 carries 16yds 1TD

John Rys Plumlee - 5 games/3 GS 39/82 47.6% 456yds 4TD 1INT 107.9 Rating 64.1 QBR 86 carries 508yds 4TD

Garrett Shrader - 7 games/ GS 75/136 55.1% 1022yds 7TD 5INT 127.9 Ratimg 70.3 QBR 92 carries 504yds 3TD

He's showing that he has the potential to be an All SEC QB.

He's the best young QB in the SEC.

If you gave Shrader Auburn's offensive personnel this year, Auburn may be a natty contender. I fully believe he's better than Nix.

ShotgunDawg
10-30-2019, 02:23 PM

Hindsight 20/20.

Bringing in Tommy was the right thing to do but it's blown up in his face.

Again, there are plenty of other things to obliterate Joe about than reducing things to this stupid level & coversation

Ifyouonlyknew
10-30-2019, 02:23 PM

He threw a TD to Guidry against Auburn.

coachnorm
10-30-2019, 02:24 PM
I think where it is going is the schools who continue to sign high school guys are going to developed two to three deep QB's on roster. Yes some of the QB's going to leave but once you start doing the portal thing you can't go back. That school better hope a good one inters the portal or they are going to be screwed. OK has not developed a QB in a long time. Who will they get? Right now you will have both LSU and OK needed QB's.

Talking about out of state development QB development, I would like to tell fellow elite doggers that the JUCOs come into play also. I can not expose the name, but I can expose the content. An elite high school quarterback was recruited into a Pac12 team. That quarterback was moved to receiver against his will. That player has contacted a JUCO and declared that he is leaving his Pac12 team to develop as a quarterback. That high school quarterback was lights out in his State 6A or Division 1 high school championship game. The converted quarterback got playing time in the Pac12. I suspect that the converted quarterback might get his wish and play somewhere in the future.

HancockCountyDog
10-30-2019, 02:30 PM
Yea but you don't bring in a coach & tell him don't run his offense. That's just not practical.

Yeah - but when I hire a coach that knows offense I don't expect him to take a QB like Eli Manning and run the triple option or take a QB like Chris Relf and try and make him a pocket passer. I expect my highly skilled coach to come in and make do with what he is given not force his system on a bunch of players that aren't built for it. At least not in the first two years - especially with the defensive talent he was handed that was basically scheme proof.

He didn't run "his offense" against AU or A&M last year. Those were Mullen plays. Its not like its hard to simply turn on game film and figure out what Fitz or KT does well?

Ifyouonlyknew
10-30-2019, 02:33 PM
Yeah - but when I hire a coach that knows offense I don't expect him to take a QB like Eli Manning and run the triple option or take a QB like Chris Relf and try and make him a pocket passer. I expect my highly skilled coach to come in and make do with what he is given not force his system on a bunch of players that aren't built for it. At least not in the first two years - especially with the defensive talent he was handed that was basically scheme proof.

He didn't run "his offense" against AU or A&M last year. Those were Mullen plays. Its not like its hard to simply turn on game film and figure out what Fitz or KT does well?

We're just going to agree to disagree.

HancockCountyDog
10-30-2019, 02:35 PM
I'm not a Joe fan, but why do you assume that Joe knows Mullen's offense? Joe's never ran the Mullen offense or coached under anyone who did.

We've never run the Mullen under Joe unless you are reducing that offense to simply the zone read.

Go back and watch the AU and A&M games last year. Those were classic Mullen games. Fitz ran it 44 times in those two games. He threw it 39 times in those two games vs 58 in the games against KY and FL.

To Joe's credit I think he realized early on that Fitz couldn't run his offense and he switched to QB run offense. I just don't fully understand why he didn't give that offense more of a chance this year with KT, especially in the toss up games. I guess spilt milk and all.

HancockCountyDog
10-30-2019, 02:38 PM
We're just going to agree to disagree.

I would assume you agree with the first part but disagree with the second part.

I can't imagine you disagree with the first part.

If he ran his offense against AU and A&M - then I agree, we will have to agree to disagree.

But you would agree that you don't expect him to come in and force his system on players ill equipped to run it, figuring you take your lumps and the team eventually learns how to run your offense, or do you? Its possible you do, but I would just be surprised by that.

MD2020
10-30-2019, 02:40 PM
That has very little to do with Shrader. I think Shrader has been fantastic considering his terrible protection, dancing RB, & the terrible offensive system he's playing in.

He's completing 55% of his passes, ran for 504, & thrown for over 1,000 yards

If you're blaming Shrader for any of this, you clearly don't understand football

I guess you don't understand he's racking up yards and points in mop up and backups playing. We've only been in 1 game with him as the starter. Our average losing score is almost 19 points.

Ifyouonlyknew
10-30-2019, 02:43 PM
Go back and watch the AU and A&M games last year. Those were classic Mullen games. Fitz ran it 44 times in those two games. He threw it 39 times in those two games vs 58 in the games against KY and FL.

To Joe's credit I think he realized early on that Fitz couldn't run his offense and he switched to QB run offense. I just don't fully understand why he didn't give that offense more of a chance this year with KT, especially in the toss up games. I guess spilt milk and all.

It's not like Fitz didn't run a ton vs KY & FL though. He had 28 carries vs Auburn, 16 carries vs A&M, 16 vs KY, & 20 vs FL. They didn't suddenly change the offense against A&M & Auburn. The reason why they passed more against KY & FL was because they shut the running game down. 20yds vs KY, 32yds vs FL, 88yds vs A&M, & 195yds vs Auburn. We were constantly in 2nd & 3rd & long vs KY & FL where as we controlled the line of scrimmage against A&M & Auburn & played ahead of the chains.

Todd4State
10-30-2019, 02:44 PM

Kentucky? And no the stats don?t show that KT was/is better. KT struggled in the spring too.

Todd4State
10-30-2019, 02:48 PM
I guess you don't understand he's racking up yards and points in mop up and backups playing. We've only been in 1 game with him as the starter. Our average losing score is almost 19 points.

And KT racked up most of his stats against Stephen F Austin. And still couldn’t complete half of his passes.

Ifyouonlyknew
10-30-2019, 02:49 PM
I would assume you agree with the first part but disagree with the second part.

I can't imagine you disagree with the first part.

If he ran his offense against AU and A&M - then I agree, we will have to agree to disagree.

But you would agree that you don't expect him to come in and force his system on players ill equipped to run it, figuring you take your lumps and the team eventually learns how to run your offense, or do you? Its possible you do, but I would just be surprised by that.

I agree with everything you just said. He tried his best to tweak his offense with Fitz last year & not really open it up. He ran Fitz a ton Bc that's what he's good at the offense was just usually disjointed. This offseason he said I have to get me a guy who can run my offense. KT got a full spring to go through his offense & Joe decided nope he can't run the offense the way I want it to run. He decided to get a QB who he felt could run the offense. It happened to be Tommy Stevens. It could've been Kelly Bryant, or 1 or 2 other guys he pursued. Tommy came & won the job, which isn't surprising, Bc he's a better fit for the offense. Unfortunately he got hurt. By that time KT has decided he doesn't want to play at MSU anymore & Mayden is suspended. Shrader took the job & ran with it. Is he a finished product? No. Does he make mistakes? Yes. However in my opinion he's shown he has the potential to be a very good SEC QB.

HancockCountyDog
10-30-2019, 02:50 PM
It's not like Fitz didn't run a ton vs KY & FL though. He had 28 carries vs Auburn, 16 carries vs A&M, 16 vs KY, & 20 vs FL. They didn't suddenly change the offense against A&M & Auburn. The reason why they passed more against KY & FL was because they shut the running game down. 20yds vs KY, 32yds vs FL, 88yds vs A&M, & 195yds vs Auburn. We were constantly in 2nd & 3rd & long vs KY & FL where as we controlled the line of scrimmage against A&M & Auburn & played ahead of the chains.

Actually he only carried it 14 times against Florida - the other 6 carries were sacks. Same with Kentucky - 13 carries - with 3 sacks.

Also a few of those carries were designed pass plays that ended up as runs because no one was open.

I'm just saying that it seemed to me, and maybe I'm alone on this that after the Florida loss our offense became much more Fitz running power runs. At times it didn't help, but we certainly were going to win and lose games on Fitz' legs. It didn't feel that way in the FL/KY games, hence the 9 sacks in two games.

Ifyouonlyknew
10-30-2019, 02:54 PM
Actually he only carried it 14 times against Florida - the other 6 carries were sacks. Same with Kentucky - 13 carries - with 3 sacks.

Also a few of those carries were designed pass plays that ended up as runs because no one was open.

I'm just saying that it seemed to me, and maybe I'm alone on this that after the Florida loss our offense became much more Fitz running power runs. At times it didn't help, but we certainly were going to win and lose games on Fitz' legs. It didn't feel that way in the FL/KY games, hence the 9 sacks in two games.

I agree with that also. I think after KY & FL he realized I really don't have the OT to keep the QB up for these deeper routes & tried to adjust the best way he know how within his system. It's not like Mullen left his playbook in the desk drawer & was like "if you ever get in a bind these are Fitz go to plays". I just think after the roller coaster year last year on offense he decided I'm running my stuff & I need someone I'm confident who can run it. I don't fault him for that at all.

HancockCountyDog
10-30-2019, 02:55 PM
I agree with everything you just said. He tried his best to tweak his offense with Fitz last year & not really open it up. He ran Fitz a ton Bc that's what he's good at the offense was just usually disjointed. This offseason he said I have to get me a guy who can run my offense. KT got a full spring to go through his offense & Joe decided nope he can't run the offense the way I want it to run. He decided to get a QB who he felt could run the offense. It happened to be Tommy Stevens. It could've been Kelly Bryant, or 1 or 2 other guys he pursued. Tommy came & won the job, which isn't surprising, Bc he's a better fit for the offense. Unfortunately he got hurt. By that time KT has decided he doesn't want to play at MSU anymore & Mayden is suspended. Shrader took the job & ran with it. Is he a finished product? No. Does he make mistakes? Yes. However in my opinion he's shown he has the potential to be a very good SEC QB.

What is funny is that I agree with you that Shrader definitely has potential to be a very good SEC QB.

I just think for this year alone I would have liked to have seen another season of run first QB with KT at the helm, but it looks like that ship sailed the minute we signed Tommy.

I just hate wasting a season - i'm not saying KT would have led us to 9 wins - far from it - I just think we win the KSU and Tenn game with him. I could be way off. I'm also probably just longing for the Mullen offense an KT running it, because I was looking forward to it for several seasons and now that we are running a 50/50 offense it looks pretty much what I expected which is inconsistent because we don't have good enough WR's or elite enough OT's to run that type of offense.

I just hope we win out and win the bowl game so we can try and turn this around, because barring a blowout on Thanksgiving, we aren't firing a second year coach. Its not in our DNA. Its possible, but I don't see it happening - especially because John hired him. If we had a new AD I'd think there is a chance, but its just not happening.

BhamDawg205
10-31-2019, 12:40 AM

https://www.elitedawgs.com/showthread.php?51671-Keytaon-Thompson-Is-Currently-On-the-Field-Practicing-at-MSU (https://www.elitedawgs.com/showthread.php?51671-Keytaon-Thompson-Is-Currently-On-the-Field-Practicing-at-MSU/page2&highlight=keytaon)

https://www.elitedawgs.com/showthread.php?51194-Keytaon-Thompson-Is-Giving-Me-Warm-amp-Fuzzies (https://www.elitedawgs.com/showthread.php?51194-Keytaon-Thompson-Is-Giving-Me-Warm-amp-Fuzzies&highlight=keytaon)

https://www.elitedawgs.com/showthread.php?49495-Keytaon-Thompson (https://www.elitedawgs.com/showthread.php?49495-Keytaon-Thompson&highlight=keytaon)

https://www.elitedawgs.com/showthread.php?60474-Keytaon-Thompson (https://www.elitedawgs.com/showthread.php?60474-Keytaon-Thompson&highlight=keytaon)

Yea it's why you can't take these so called experts seriously. Funny they try to rewrite history. Remember there's Always a post.

BhamDawg205
10-31-2019, 12:50 AM

Heck over the last few weeks Shrader has been running zone read with passes here and there. Joe ran Fitz more than Mullen. Part of that can be defenses dictating things. Joe is lost and so is his offensive philosophy. KT should have been his bridge to Shrader, his QB.
Now some think Shrader will leave if Joe leaves, so be it. This why Cohen needs to pull the trigger. Go get Napier or similar. This may salvage our QB depth and use the OL for what it was built for.

BhamDawg205
10-31-2019, 12:53 AM

But a good coach adapts to his current team. Joe has proven he's can't or too stubborn to.

Todd4State
10-31-2019, 12:59 AM
But a good coach adapts to his current team. Joe has proven he's can't or too stubborn to.

Then why would our fans want a QB they has been proven to be a worse passer and roughly the same as a runner in KT? Even in a run first offense you would still take Shrader over KT.

It’s not adapt to the upper class players. It’s adapt to who the best players on your team are.

BhamDawg205
10-31-2019, 01:51 AM
Then why would our fans want a QB they has been proven to be a worse passer and roughly the same as a runner in KT? Even in a run first offense you would still take Shrader over KT.

It?s not adapt to the upper class players. It?s adapt to who the best players on your team are.

If Shrader, Joe's recruited QB, beat out KT in the spring or take over during the season 80-90% of fans would be ok. Shrader seems to have the intangibles, but still not ready.
KT has won and don't give the competition excuse, you play who on the schedule. Dak wasn't the the best passer, but by 2014 you could see the profession.
So Mullen didn't adapt to the roster he inherited? Hill was the best overall RB in 2018. I think Gibson has shown more than Hill. I know Gibson fumbled, but how many drives this year and last Hill refusal to pass block ended drives. Joe's has history of not putting the best players in. So did Mullen, but did adjust offense to team's strengths.

Mullen adapted until he got his Dak and now with Tasker.

ShotgunDawg
10-31-2019, 06:55 AM

Well... I don't know KT personally and don't know if he can comprehend an offense. I thought he was going to be better, but the more you saw him play, he never took a step forward.

Mostly, I'm surprised that his body never got thicker. He's essentially the same size now as he was when he got on campus.

Hambone
10-31-2019, 08:58 AM
KT didn’t win shit........

He didn’t beat Lamar Jackson.... Our defense did.

He SUCKED against Steven F Austin, but our defense was the best in the country.

Todd4State
10-31-2019, 11:14 AM
If Shrader, Joe's recruited QB, beat out KT in the spring or take over during the season 80-90% of fans would be ok. Shrader seems to have the intangibles, but still not ready.
KT has won and don't give the competition excuse, you play who on the schedule. Dak wasn't the the best passer, but by 2014 you could see the profession.
So Mullen didn't adapt to the roster he inherited? Hill was the best overall RB in 2018. I think Gibson has shown more than Hill. I know Gibson fumbled, but how many drives this year and last Hill refusal to pass block ended drives. Joe's has history of not putting the best players in. So did Mullen, but did adjust offense to team's strengths.

Mullen adapted until he got his Dak and now with Tasker.

Newsflash: Shrader did best KT out and 90% of our fans and probably more are OK with that.

Shrader is ahead of KT right now as a freshman. Analytically he is one of the best QB’s in the league and one of the best freshmen QB’s in the country. He has actually been better against SEC teams than he has against OOC teams.

Todd4State
10-31-2019, 11:17 AM
Well... I don't know KT personally and don't know if he can comprehend an offense. I thought he was going to be better, but the more you saw him play, he never took a step forward.

Mostly, I'm surprised that his body never got thicker. He's essentially the same size now as he was when he got on campus.

I’m confused why some of our fans think he’s better? He’s just simply not. In fact he’s pretty bad. No one was jumping to get him when he was in the transfer portal.

Ifyouonlyknew
10-31-2019, 11:25 AM
I’m confused why some of our fans think he’s better? He’s just simply not. In fact he’s pretty bad. No one was jumping to get him when he was in the transfer portal.

I don't think he's bad at all. I just don't think he's a good fit for this offense. I can definitely see him going to a run spread system & playing well.

Ifyouonlyknew
10-31-2019, 11:26 AM
Newsflash: Shrader did best KT out and 90% of our fans and probably more are OK with that.

Shrader is ahead of KT right now as a freshman. Analytically he is one of the best QB’s in the league and one of the best freshmen QB’s in the country. He has actually been better against SEC teams than he has against OOC teams.

KT is the reason he's not playing not Shrader.

Bubb Rubb
10-31-2019, 12:02 PM
Meh, QB is a crap shoot. Because LSU hot the lottery with Burrow doesn?t mean it?s always going to work that way. Hell, Burrow was underwhelming last year.

MD2020
10-31-2019, 12:06 PM
KT is the reason he's not playing not Shrader.

Which makes sense. All this rhetoric of Shrader keeping him off the field is ludacris.

Todd4State
10-31-2019, 12:08 PM
I don't think he's bad at all. I just don't think he's a good fit for this offense. I can definitely see him going to a run spread system & playing well.

If you can’t complete 50% of your passes as a QB you’re not a good fit for any offense in today’s game.

Ifyouonlyknew
10-31-2019, 01:55 PM
If you can’t complete 50% of your passes as a QB you’re not a good fit for any offense in today’s game.

He played 3 games. 2 as a True Freshman & 1 as a Sophomore. Nobody expects him to become Tom Brady but to think he wasn't going to improve some as a passer is just inaccurate.

Ifyouonlyknew
10-31-2019, 01:56 PM
Which makes sense. All this rhetoric of Shrader keeping him off the field is ludacris.

I do think Shrader is a better QB.

Tbonewannabe
10-31-2019, 02:03 PM

KT was ahead of where Fitz was. Fitz was around a 52-55% passer but that was enough to open up his running ability. The same with KT if you knew how to call plays to his strengths. Moorhead doesn't know how to fit the offense to his players.

MD2020
10-31-2019, 02:10 PM
I do think Shrader is a better QB.

Your opinion.

Ifyouonlyknew
10-31-2019, 02:40 PM
Your opinion.

Hence the "I do think" part.

Ari Gold
10-31-2019, 02:51 PM
Your opinion.

I do know Shrader doesn’t have or had the “yips” nor did he quit his team..
Facts.

MD2020
10-31-2019, 04:39 PM
I do know Shrader doesn’t have or had the “yips” nor did he quit his team..
Facts.

Quitting huh? If you've waited your time and earned the starting job after the spring to have it given to someone else I'd look for honesty and loyalty too. He did what was best for him. No fault in that.

Ari Gold
10-31-2019, 04:49 PM
Quitting huh? If you've waited your time and earned the starting job after the spring to have it given to someone else I'd look for honesty and loyalty too. He did what was best for him. No fault in that.

So what if we had gotten Kelly Bryant, which we almost landed, would that had been ok??
With all of Joes faults and there are many , I don’t think trying to get the best QB here in his opinion to make us better is a bad thing.
I have no issue with KT wanting to transfer , but who is to say he EARNED anything.. and yeah entering the transfer portal a week or 2 before the season starting isn’t a good look.

MD2020
10-31-2019, 05:48 PM
So what if we had gotten Kelly Bryant, which we almost landed, would that had been ok??
With all of Joes faults and there are many , I don’t think trying to get the best QB here in his opinion to make us better is a bad thing.
I have no issue with KT wanting to transfer , but who is to say he EARNED anything.. and yeah entering the transfer portal a week or 2 before the season starting isn’t a good look.

He earned the starting job in the spring. Stevens was given the job before practicing. That's terrible on Moorehead. Any coach that promises playing time without earning it regardless of who the player is terrible. It's even worst when the player has no experience. Whenever Stephens was named the starter whether it was the 1st game or two weeks transferring before was best for him. Kudos for having the courage to start life's experiences.

Ari Gold
11-01-2019, 09:37 AM
He earned the starting job in the spring. Stevens was given the job before practicing. That's terrible on Moorehead. Any coach that promises playing time without earning it regardless of who the player is terrible. It's even worst when the player has no experience. Whenever Stephens was named the starter whether it was the 1st game or two weeks transferring before was best for him. Kudos for having the courage to start life's experiences.

Well I guess Eddie O made a terrible decision as well with Burrow. because his numbers were very similar to TS
And he was the starter before he got on campus.

Again I have no issue with KT or whatever decision he makes..
I hope he is the starter and has success next year wherever it is he transfers too..

And just a quick comparison when it comes to so called loyalty with coaches and QBs at programs ...
Does anyone think that Tyler Russell who waited his turn here would have started over Cam Newton if he had ended up a Dawg?

Did Joe **** up the QB situation? Maybe so. But it’s not the reason this team is 3-5.

MD2020
11-01-2019, 09:47 AM
Well I guess Eddie O made a terrible decision as well with Burrow. because his numbers were very similar to TS
And he was the starter before he got on campus.

Again I have no issue with KT or whatever decision he makes..
I hope he is the starter and has success next year wherever it is he transfers too..

And just a quick comparison when it comes to so called loyalty with coaches and QBs at programs ...
Does anyone think that Tyler Russell who waited his turn here would have started over Cam Newton if he had ended up a Dawg?

Did Joe **** up the QB situation? Maybe so. But it’s not the reason this team is 3-5.

I agree with the multiple points you've stated. However, ED O's situation of a two year proven guy and a bench warmer transfer is not similar at all. Cam didn't come so there's also no comparison. The team is 3-5 because Joe can't coach and is struggling with his decision making. I think Shrader is a serviceable Qb. However, my opinion you go with a proven guy that teammates trust and has earned the responsibility of starting.

Ari Gold
11-01-2019, 10:08 AM
I agree with the multiple points you've stated. However, ED O's situation of a two year proven guy and a bench warmer transfer is not similar at all. Cam didn't come so there's also no comparison. The team is 3-5 because Joe can't coach and is struggling with his decision making. I think Shrader is a serviceable Qb. However, my opinion you go with a proven guy that teammates trust and has earned the responsibility of starting.

Burrows stats were basically the same as Tommy.

There is a reason KT got limited snaps in the 2018 season... And it wasnt because Fitz was lightening it up on the field. I’m not sure how old you are but does the name Chuck Knoblauch or Steve Sax ring a bell.. Hopefully it’s a non issue now and 100% in the past.

And as a true freshman right now I’m Taking Garrett over any freshman QB that is playing / starting in the SEC ...

To be honest when Joe was named as HC I thought KT might be his guy once he got here and saw both Fitz and KT in the spring and how they ran his system.

Tbonewannabe
11-01-2019, 01:17 PM

There is a reason KT got limited snaps in the 2018 season... And it wasnt because Fitz was lightening it up on the field. I’m not sure how old you are but does the name Chuck Knoblauch or Steve Sax ring a bell.. Hopefully it’s a non issue now and 100% in the past.

And as a true freshman right now I’m Taking Garrett over any freshman QB that is playing / starting in the SEC ...

To be honest when Joe was named as HC I thought KT might be his guy once he got here and saw both Fitz and KT in the spring and how they ran his system.

If KT really has the yips and can't complete passes, why has he not gotten a shot at WR? The guy is very athletic. Is it just he wants to play QB no matter what?

MD2020
11-01-2019, 01:51 PM

I agree with you bro. Great post!

Todd4State
11-01-2019, 11:37 PM
He played 3 games. 2 as a True Freshman & 1 as a Sophomore. Nobody expects him to become Tom Brady but to think he wasn't going to improve some as a passer is just inaccurate.

I’m not asking him to be Tom Brady. I’m asking him to complete half his passes.

Ifyouonlyknew
11-01-2019, 11:52 PM
I’m not asking him to be Tom Brady. I’m asking him to complete half his passes.

Again he's played 3 games. It's a little early to say he can't.

Todd4State
11-02-2019, 12:00 AM
Again he's played 3 games. It's a little early to say he can't.

Shrader can. With two years less experience.

MD2020
11-02-2019, 05:38 AM

If you look at Shrader's 1st 3 games you'd think he couldn't either.

Ifyouonlyknew
11-02-2019, 07:03 AM

That has nothing to do with KT.

Ifyouonlyknew
11-02-2019, 07:06 AM
If you look at Shrader's 1st 3 games you'd think he couldn't either.

Shrader 1st 3 games he played in he was 28/45 62%. If you're talking about his 1st 3 starts he was 47/80 58%. Either way you want to spin it you're incorrect.

Maroonthirteen
11-02-2019, 08:27 AM
It really surprised me fans don’t remember or ignore the fact that KT quit. He QUIT. It was for very generous for Moorhead to allow him back. But the point is .... I imagine that’s why he isn’t playing above all else.

Also the transfer portal is filling up and we are not even to the end of the season. Auburn QB is entering the portal.

They may have been less competition for KT in starkville rather than the portal.

tcdog70
11-02-2019, 08:51 AM
KT was ahead of where Fitz was. Fitz was around a 52-55% passer but that was enough to open up his running ability. The same with KT if you knew how to call plays to his strengths. Moorhead doesn't know how to fit the offense to his players.

Remember, if the WRs catch 1/3 of the passes they dropped then Fitz would have been over 60%

MD2020
11-02-2019, 09:21 AM
Shrader 1st 3 games he played in he was 28/45 62%. If you're talking about his 1st 3 starts he was 47/80 58%. Either way you want to spin it you're incorrect.

What's that record with that high percentage? I'll take winning over stats. So if you prefer stats over victories go ahead.

Dawgfan77
11-02-2019, 09:24 AM
I think so fans are in love with idea of KT cause he was a four star recruit but facts are his talents didn?t lead to on field results. I hope he and Whop go on to have great carriers.

Ari Gold
11-02-2019, 09:29 AM
Our fan base ALL of our fan base should be 110% all in and all behind Shrader now and going forward.. this kid has a chance to be very special.

Ifyouonlyknew
11-02-2019, 10:37 AM
What's that record with that high percentage? I'll take winning over stats. So if you prefer stats over victories go ahead.

Lol cute. You're the 1 who's kept pulling out stats this entire thread. Wrong stats that's I've just happened to correct.

HoopsDawg
11-02-2019, 11:03 AM
Our fan base ALL of our fan base should be 110% all in and all behind Shrader now and going forward.. this kid has a chance to be very special.

Agree 100%. He's the lone bright spot of this season.

LOL at anyone still talking about KT.