PDA

View Full Version : Buy or Sell

Pinto
10-30-2019, 07:51 AM
With Pandora?s box possibly being opened by the NCAA and players being allowed to make money - Should MSU and MSU Boosters be strategic in using our limited resources to help Women?s Basketball, Men?s Basketball, and Baseball players get maximum dollars for their likeness?

I don?t want to say abandon football but we don?t have the dollars to compete for those players. In these other sports we have some already sustained success and could get a better margin of return for our investments and hopefully a national championship in those sports.

I don?t want sports to become specialized at universities, but we have to be sound and strategic in working this new avenue to our advantage.

Todd4State
10-30-2019, 07:56 AM
Sell.

I think MSU needs to get serious about football and stop making excuses why not.

We’ve shown that we can win 8 games a year with a coach with some flaws. Why not try to be the best we can be?

And that said- yes we should promote and encourage our baseball players and other athletes to get endorsements as well.

Cooterpoot
10-30-2019, 08:03 AM
Sell. They?re going to be limits/caps on this. Otherwise it?ll completely destroy college athletics.

Liverpooldawg
10-30-2019, 08:12 AM
Sell. They?re going to be limits/caps on this. Otherwise it?ll completely destroy college athletics.

The way the Cali law is written I don't think there can be any limits. It will destroy college athletics.

Churchill
10-30-2019, 08:24 AM
Sell, I think. In the end doesn't football still pay the bills ?

Jack Lambert
10-30-2019, 08:26 AM
I think Miss Base companies should start grabbing 4 and 5 star guys while in high school, putting them on contract with a clause saying you have to go to a Miss college to get the money. Sorry but Miss State is gong have to get in the ditch with everyone else if we want to compete.

Jack Lambert
10-30-2019, 08:31 AM
I will say this that the new rule isn't going to change the fact that Alabama and the blue bloods have always and will always get the best athletes however I think it helps school like miss state. It gives a 5 star a reason to attend Miss State if a large company wants them to go to state. I am just saying unless they put rules in the game is wide open for companies to pay guys and to stipulate where they go to school. Like stated the box is open and we as Miss State better start grabbing the goodies out of it.

confucius say
10-30-2019, 08:36 AM
The way the Cali law is written I don't think there can be any limits. It will destroy college athletics.

That law has no direct impact on ncaa bylaws. So UCLA can do what it needs to do comply with state law, but if it does it will be punished by the ncaa. The ncaa does not have to comply with Cali law.

Tbonewannabe
10-30-2019, 08:46 AM
That law has no direct impact on ncaa bylaws. So UCLA can do what it needs to do comply with state law, but if it does it will be punished by the ncaa. The ncaa does not have to comply with Cali law.

The NCAA is a voluntary organization. Universities can leave and can do whatever they like. Right now there are rules for eligibility and one of those rules is not receiving payments and/or endorsements in the sport you play. Colorado WR several years ago was an Olympic skier and had to choose whether to keep an endorsement that allowed him to practice for the Olympics or play football at Colorado. They deemed it not specific to skiing.

Coursesuper
10-30-2019, 08:54 AM
Soft buy, since the sec network we play football in the southeastern conference in order fund our other programs. That said we have try to be competitive in football mainly for the PR factor for the school itself and drive revenue to the university and the city of Starkville.

Liverpooldawg
10-30-2019, 08:56 AM

They do in California if they want to be in California.

Johnson85
10-30-2019, 08:57 AM

It makes it violation of California law for the NCAA to punish California schools for having players receiving endorsements. The only way the NCAA can punish California schools is to not be subject to jurisdiction in California, which they clearly aren't willing to do (and which probably by definnition they cannot do).

If they try to put any caps or limitations on endorsements, either by dollar value or by when they are allowed, they will be in technical violation of California law although California courts could easily interpret their way around it if they don't view the restrictions as unduly burdensome.

Liverpooldawg
10-30-2019, 08:59 AM
I will say this that the new rule isn't going to change the fact that Alabama and the blue bloods have always and will always get the best athletes however I think it helps school like miss state. It gives a 5 star a reason to attend Miss State if a large company wants them to go to state. I am just saying unless they put rules in the game is wide open for companies to pay guys and to stipulate where they go to school. Like stated the box is open and we as Miss State better start grabbing the goodies out of it.

Jack, we aren't going to outbid Alabama for anybody. This will be a disaster for everybody but the bluebloods with big markets. Do you know where THE biggest market for college football is? The NYT published a study a while back that showed the market for college football. It's Birmingham.

Liverpooldawg
10-30-2019, 09:00 AM
It makes it violation of California law for the NCAA to punish California schools for having players receiving endorsements. The only way the NCAA can punish California schools is to not be subject to jurisdiction in California, which they clearly aren't willing to do.

If they try to put any caps or limitations on endorsements, either by dollar value or by when they are allowed, they will be in technical violation of California law although California courts could easily interpret their way around it if they don't view the restrictions as unduly burdensome.

Exactly. That's the way the law is written.

Jack Lambert
10-30-2019, 09:06 AM
Jack, we aren't going to outbid Alabama for anybody. This will be a disaster for everybody but the bluebloods with big markets. Do you know where THE biggest market for college football is? The NYT published a study a while back that showed the market for college football. It's Birmingham.

It's not us out biding Bama. It's a miss base corporations paying these kids. The schools can't pay anything. Like I said this will not change the fact that 5 stars go to Alabama. Nothing has really changed. They were getting them anyways but now business that the CEO's or owners are Miss State graduates have the green light to say to a five star yes you can go to Alabama, yes you might get to play, yes you might make a little money while there but if you go to Miss State we will hire you to be one of our spokesmen. That is a guarantee.

confucius say
10-30-2019, 10:44 AM
It makes it violation of California law for the NCAA to punish California schools for having players receiving endorsements. The only way the NCAA can punish California schools is to not be subject to jurisdiction in California, which they clearly aren't willing to do (and which probably by definnition they cannot do).

1. It does not make it a violation of CA law for the NCAA to punish CA schools for having players receive endorsements. It only prevents the NCAA from prohibiting a CA school from participating in intercollegiate athletics as a result of the player receiving endorsements. Very important distinction. There is nothing in the law that prohibits the ncaa from punishing UCLA if a UCLA player receives endorsements, it only prohibits the NCAA from barring UCLA from participating in intercollegiate athletics on the basis of a player having received endorsements.

2. Even if the law were amended to prevent punishment of California schools by the ncaa, the ncaa is a nonprofit that could just elect to not have CA schools as members. Doing so would effectively kill CA schools? athletic teams.

Liverpooldawg
10-30-2019, 10:55 AM
It's not us out biding Bama. It's a miss base corporations paying these kids. The schools can't pay anything. Like I said this will not change the fact that 5 stars go to Alabama. Nothing has really changed. They were getting them anyways but now business that the CEO's or owners are Miss State graduates have the green light to say to a five star yes you can go to Alabama, yes you might get to play, yes you might make a little money while there but if you go to Miss State we will hire you to be one of our spokesmen. That is a guarantee.

Again, Mississippi companies can't outbid what Alabama ones will throw at a player they want.

Liverpooldawg
10-30-2019, 10:57 AM
1. It does not make it a violation of CA law for the NCAA to punish CA schools for having players receive endorsements. It only prevents the NCAA from prohibiting a CA school from participating in intercollegiate athletics as a result of the player receiving endorsements. Very important distinction. There is nothing in the law that prohibits the ncaa from punishing UCLA if a UCLA player receives endorsements, it only prohibits the NCAA from barring UCLA from participating in intercollegiate athletics on the basis of a player having received endorsements.

2. Even if the law were amended to prevent punishment of California schools by the ncaa, the ncaa is a nonprofit that could just elect to not have CA schools as members. Doing so would effectively kill CA schools? athletic teams.

The NCAA can do nothing to a California member school over this if they want the California schools to be members. You have to remember it's not just California. This is pending and will probably pass in the US Congress.

Jack Lambert
10-30-2019, 11:01 AM
Again, Mississippi companies can't outbid what Alabama ones will throw at a player they want.

Your right Trust Mart, Southern Farm Bureau, Sanderson Farms and Cspire are poor companies. Poor ole Mississippi can't even have companies with money.

Martianlander
10-30-2019, 11:02 AM
If this turns out like it looks like it will, basically players being paid, the next thing you will have is
"These young players don't know how to manage their money. We have to provide accountants for them at no charge"
Then college players unions. Don't laugh, it's not that farfetched.

Will free up a lot of my Saturdays I guess.

Commercecomet24
10-30-2019, 11:03 AM
Your right Trust Mart, Southern Farm Bureau and Cspire are poor companies. Poor ole Mississippi can't even have companies with money.

Let me add the Sanderson Family(Sanderson Farms) and Howard Industries also are worth a few dollars too.

Jack Lambert
10-30-2019, 11:05 AM
Let me add the Sanderson Family(Sanderson Farms) and Howard Industries also are worth a few dollars too.

I did go back and add and thanks!

Commercecomet24
10-30-2019, 11:06 AM
I did go back and add and thanks!

No prob Jack.

confucius say
10-30-2019, 11:17 AM
The NCAA can do nothing to a California member school over this if they want the California schools to be members. You have to remember it's not just California. This is pending and will probably pass in the US Congress.

The NCAa does not need CA schools near as much as CA schools need to be a member of the NCAA. Their programs would die if they joined the NAIA tomorrow.

I do agree with you that any federal legislation, or widespread state legislation outside of CA, changes things. That is why I think smarter and cooler heads will prevail here and a sensible solution reached.

MedDawg
10-30-2019, 11:48 AM
If this turns out like it looks like it will, basically players being paid, the next thing you will have is
"These young players don't know how to manage their money. We have to provide accountants for them at no charge"

I hadn't really thought of that. Not so much the accounting part, but the part about how much more trouble some college athletes with a lot of money will get into.

Johnson85
10-30-2019, 01:35 PM
Your right Trust Mart, Southern Farm Bureau, Sanderson Farms and Cspire are poor companies. Poor ole Mississippi can't even have companies with money.

The secret is not to have large companies, it is to have a lot of closely held if not solely owned companies. Your public companies are not going to be spending a lot of money on college athletes. They have fiduciary responsibilities and will have to justify the expenditures as a business expense. The solely owned companies or closely held companies will be where the money is most likely. There are probably going to be some other schools with multiple donors that will commit to $1M a year for payments to players. If you can get 4 such donors, you can basically start with a base of $40k per year for each signee, and then use the small time donors to up the pay from there. Of course in reality, it will probably be more like $100k per year for the top ten players to start with. And that's just looking at recruiting.

If we had these rules back in 2013, what are the chances a Louisiana Oil person reaches out to Dak and says he'd like him to be a spokesperson for his company, but he really needs to be an LSU player to do that. You don't think they could have come up with the money that made it impossible for Dak to say no?

Also, this just made me realize that the biggest winner of this might be LSU. All their Louisiana companies can hire LSU athletes without worrying too much about the blow back from ULL, La Tech, and ULMonroe fans. Arkansas may be a disproportionate winner for this same reason.

Homedawg
10-30-2019, 02:01 PM

We could give em some chicken????***

confucius say
10-30-2019, 02:05 PM
We could give em some chicken????***

Or catfish**

Liverpooldawg
10-30-2019, 02:18 PM

I didn't say that Jack. What I said was Alabama is THE biggest college football market out there. That is where the money is. That's where players will command the most money. The real winner is Notre Dame. They have a national market and their own national BROADCAST network. Crazy boosters are one thing, the REAL money will be companies actually looking to promote themselves in big markets.

Dawgology
10-30-2019, 02:29 PM
Anyone saying this will even th eplaying field or somehow get us more highly rated recruits is mistaken. The gap between the haves and the have nots is about to get HUGE.

In fact, I'm ready to see a super-conference made of 20-25 blue-bloods and then allow the rest of us to play and watch amateur football again.

TUSK
10-30-2019, 03:18 PM
Anyone saying this will even th eplaying field or somehow get us more highly rated recruits is mistaken. The gap between the haves and the have nots is about to get HUGE.

In fact, I'm ready to see a super-conference made of 20-25 blue-bloods and then allow the rest of us to play and watch amateur football again.

Yeppers, & me too. It’s coming.

Tbonewannabe
10-30-2019, 03:22 PM

Joe Jr. went to Millsaps I believe. I am not sure how much they are involved at MSU other than the poultry science program.

Commercecomet24
10-30-2019, 03:24 PM
Joe Jr. went to Millsaps I believe. I am not sure how much they are involved at MSU other than the poultry science program.

A lot. I've known them for years. Buck and my Grandfather were good buddies.

Tbonewannabe
10-30-2019, 03:42 PM
A lot. I've known them for years. Buck and my Grandfather were good buddies.

I knew they gave the money for the Sanderson Center in honor of Joe Sr. but I didn't know they were involved after that. Did any of Joe Jr's kids or grandkids go to State? I worked in Hazelhurst for almost 7 years so it wasn't like I was in Laurel around anyone.

Commercecomet24
10-30-2019, 03:52 PM
I knew they gave the money for the Sanderson Center in honor of Joe Sr. but I didn't know they were involved after that. Did any of Joe Jr's kids or grandkids go to State? I worked in Hazelhurst for almost 7 years so it wasn't like I was in Laurel around anyone.

Yeah they're still involved and yes they did have kids go to State. By the way my Uncle owns Stringer Funeral Homes in Crystal Springs and Hazlehurst. Big ole miss booster but I love him anyway lol.

RocketDawg
10-30-2019, 04:00 PM

Something like that wouldn't be surprising at all. There are really no limits to the negative effects, and probably most of those have not even been thought of yet.

How did you get so many posts? I don't really recall seeing all that many posts by you.

Jack Lambert
10-30-2019, 04:04 PM
The secret is not to have large companies, it is to have a lot of closely held if not solely owned companies. Your public companies are not going to be spending a lot of money on college athletes. They have fiduciary responsibilities and will have to justify the expenditures as a business expense. The solely owned companies or closely held companies will be where the money is most likely. There are probably going to be some other schools with multiple donors that will commit to $1M a year for payments to players. If you can get 4 such donors, you can basically start with a base of $40k per year for each signee, and then use the small time donors to up the pay from there. Of course in reality, it will probably be more like $100k per year for the top ten players to start with. And that's just looking at recruiting.

If we had these rules back in 2013, what are the chances a Louisiana Oil person reaches out to Dak and says he'd like him to be a spokesperson for his company, but he really needs to be an LSU player to do that. You don't think they could have come up with the money that made it impossible for Dak to say no?

Also, this just made me realize that the biggest winner of this might be LSU. All their Louisiana companies can hire LSU athletes without worrying too much about the blow back from ULL, La Tech, and ULMonroe fans. Arkansas may be a disproportionate winner for this same reason.

I see your point.

Jack Lambert
10-30-2019, 04:12 PM
I didn't say that Jack. What I said was Alabama is THE biggest college football market out there. That is where the money is. That's where players will command the most money. The real winner is Notre Dame. They have a national market and their own national BROADCAST network. Crazy boosters are one thing, the REAL money will be companies actually looking to promote themselves in big markets.

You might want to go back and reword what you said. You said Alabama companies can out bid any miss companies. It is very well that I just read it wrong after all I only scored a 19 on the ACT.

Tbonewannabe
10-30-2019, 04:26 PM
Yeah they're still involved and yes they did have kids go to State. By the way my Uncle owns Stringer Funeral Homes in Crystal Springs and Hazlehurst. Big ole miss booster but I love him anyway lol.

I drove into Hazlehurst from Flowood but it wasn't a bad drive at 3:30 am. I haven't been in Hazlehurst in about 9 years now though. Living in Atlanta for the last 5 years.

Commercecomet24
10-30-2019, 04:37 PM
I drove into Hazlehurst from Flowood but it wasn't a bad drive at 3:30 am. I haven't been in Hazlehurst in about 9 years now though. Living in Atlanta for the last 5 years.

330 am? Ouch! You're a better man than me! I get to Atlanta twice a year on business hate the traffic!

gravedigger
10-30-2019, 04:50 PM
With Pandora?s box possibly being opened by the NCAA and players being allowed to make money - Should MSU and MSU Boosters be strategic in using our limited resources to help Women?s Basketball, Men?s Basketball, and Baseball players get maximum dollars for their likeness?

I don?t want to say abandon football but we don?t have the dollars to compete for those players. In these other sports we have some already sustained success and could get a better margin of return for our investments and hopefully a national championship in those sports.

I don?t want sports to become specialized at universities, but we have to be sound and strategic in working this new avenue to our advantage.

We should do what we can, but I?m afraid of the unintended consequence of this decision is going to render college athletics a worse cesspool than it already is.

Martianlander
10-30-2019, 07:53 PM
Something like that wouldn't be surprising at all. There are really no limits to the negative effects, and probably most of those have not even been thought of yet.

How did you get so many posts? I don't really recall seeing all that many posts by you.

Haven't posted as much lately but read the board almost every day. I'm an old codger and hope this doesn't ruin college sports but I'm afraid it will.