PDA

View Full Version : Well, Veazey has solved the Mullen-Hud speculation

Coach34
10-27-2013, 08:15 PM
Saying Mullen is about to sign another extention- "Statement came from Sid Salter, university spokesman."

No Hud in our future

https://twitter.com/ClayTravisBGID/status/393559785997467648 (thanks hacker)

bluelightstar
10-27-2013, 08:17 PM
The half-empty student section will soon be a very regular occurrence

BogeyGolfer
10-27-2013, 08:19 PM
And something that goes against what I have been hearing. I guess we will see.

Topbulldawg
10-27-2013, 08:21 PM
Well, a new contract could have different buyout clauses as well....so it's not out of the question we extended the contract and reduced the buyout on both sides or something similar.

cheewgumm
Oh well. We will get what we deserve. One way or another.

I think ole miss iS smarter than us and it makes me sick. Too bad Byrne left. That was a huge loss.

I'll guess I'll start looking forward to the panzie schedule like everyone else. .

Terrible .

Saying Mullen is about to sign another extention- "Statement came from Sid Salter, university spokesman."

No Hud in our future

https://twitter.com/ClayTravisBGID/status/393559785997467648 (thanks hacker)

SignalToNoise
You all better pray to god or allah or whoever the **** it is you talk to that he gets this turned around.

Why the hell would we be doing a contract extension right now?

MainEventDawg
What the hell has Mullen done this season to warrant an extension?

bluelightstar
10-27-2013, 08:22 PM
You all better pray to god or allah or whoever the **** it is you talk to that he gets this turned around.

It really is mind-blowing.

Political Hack
10-27-2013, 08:24 PM
damn I hope this is true.

cheewgumm
10-27-2013, 08:25 PM
We're copyrighting mediocrity.

engie
10-27-2013, 08:27 PM
What difference does a "signed extension" make if the buyout is still $1.4million? Might as well shit in the extension before it's signed.

Mack Brown and Mike Bianco both signed extensions last year as well...

Coach34

To quiet all the speculation

And you cant discount that Hud was reached out to and declined. Dont know at this point

HoopsDawg
Contract extension means nothing if the buyout doesn't change.

Having said that, I don't know why we wouldn't wait to extend until after the season. 95% of the fanbase would want Mullen gone if we finished 0-5.

Coach34
10-27-2013, 08:29 PM
What difference does a "signed extension" make if the buyout is still $1.4million? Might as well shit in the extension before it's signed.

Mack Brown and Mike Bianco both signed extensions last year as well...

Give it up Engie- nobody signs an extention and then is fired 4-5 weeks later

HoopsDawg
10-27-2013, 08:29 PM
To quiet all the speculation

And you cant discount that Hud was reached out to and declined. Dont know at this point

Quit putting this out there. It's not true.

CadaverDawg
10-27-2013, 08:31 PM
If true, it is a giant kick in the nuts to our fans.

There is absolutely no justification for an extension right now.

I'm done with Stricklin if he pulls that move right now....not that me being done is a big loss, but I'm sure many others will be done as well.

Coach34
10-27-2013, 08:32 PM
Quit putting this out there. It's not true.

What's not?

bluelightstar
10-27-2013, 08:34 PM
I mean, this is basically a middle finger about half the fanbase. Wow.

Raytoraid83
10-27-2013, 08:37 PM

I'm done with Stricklin if he pulls that move right now....not that me being done is a big loss, but I'm sure many others will be done as well.

Maybe this will be the step back to take a step forward and get Stricklin out of here. That's wishful thinking of course. Not only is this a middle finger to our fan base (if true) this is a huge middle finger to our big money guys. You think recruiting is bad now, we'll be lucky to be able to recruit with Southern Miss after this.

cheewgumm
10-27-2013, 08:38 PM
Don't sweat it. Only about 3 more years if being a little less than mediocre and 3 more ass rapings by ole miss and another 15% of our fanbase may come around.

Ther is a slight chance we could upset someone... Maybe sc. Though nothing in the last 4 years would make u think that.

For some people it just takes more up see.

hacker
10-27-2013, 08:39 PM
The difference in this situation and Mack Brown's is that he signed it LAST YEAR, and the 2013 season came after his extension. He's not working on a new contract right now. That makes his situation completely different.

We have to pay his salary if we fire him -- that's where the $6 million figure comes from, in addition to the buyout figure -- so we're guaranteeing him another year of salary a few weeks before firing him?

Topbulldawg
10-27-2013, 08:40 PM
I trust what Veazy puts out but I have to think there is more to this story. Maybe it's an extension agreed to before the season that was never finalized? I just don't see how we started to negioate during the season with Mullen on an extension before seeing results (especially considering the results)

I seen it dawg
10-27-2013, 08:41 PM
Strick=LT. We're doomed.

Jack Lambert
10-27-2013, 08:44 PM
Contract extension means nothing if the buyout doesn't change.

Having said that, I don't know why we wouldn't wait to extend until after the season. 95% of the fanbase would want Mullen gone if we finished 0-5.

We still need to recruit and don't think for moment the other guys are telling recruits about the fan base over here.

HoopsDawg
10-27-2013, 08:53 PM
We still need to recruit and don't think for moment the other guys are telling recruits about the fan base over here.

We are almost done with recruiting for the year. The only uncommitted prospect on the board with other offers is Cory Thomas. And recruits don't care about contract extensions.

HoopsDawg
10-27-2013, 08:55 PM
What's not?

there is no possibility that Hud was reached out to and declined. None. I will say that Stricklin isn't thinking about firing Mullen right now. We still have 5 games to play and Arkansas is terrible and have quit on Bielema. That means Mullen just has to win 1 out of the other 4 games.

I seen it dawg
10-27-2013, 09:02 PM
there is no possibility that Hud was reached out to and declined. None. I will say that Stricklin isn't thinking about firing Mullen right now. We still have 5 games to play and Arkansas is terrible and have quit on Bielema. That means Mullen just has to win 1 out of the other 4 games.

You know this about the same as coach does that Hud was reached out to, which he said we don't know at this point, which means it is a point of speculation that may or may not happened. But you know exactly what Strick is thinking and exactly if Hud was or wasn't reached out to. You are either Hud or Strick. If so don't you have more important shit to do? Knowitall

I seen it dawg
10-27-2013, 09:05 PM
We are almost done with recruiting for the year. The only uncommitted prospect on the board with other offers is Cory Thomas. And recruits don't care about contract extensions.

We are done with recruiting? Well shit that was easy. I guess we don't have to worry about any of our commits flipping or any player flipping to us. When did the damn rules change? Committed now means signed sealed delivered? In Ocotober? The last 2 of your posts are fn stupid. Thank you for making it easy and putting them back to back.

engie
10-27-2013, 09:10 PM

Do the math on it.

Mullen signed his initial $10.6 million dollar contract on December 30, 2010. http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5971431

Signed extension in late Dec 2011. http://www.cdispatch.com/news/article.asp?aid=14538&TRID=1&TID=

This establishes the dates that he's eligible for extensions. The state has a 4-yr maximum. Now, PLEASE tell me how he suddenly became eligible for an extension to 4.25 years?

Basically -- unless we didn't give him an extension last year -- he isn't eligible to "sign" jack right now.

HoopsDawg
10-27-2013, 09:15 PM
We are done with recruiting? Well shit that was easy. I guess we don't have to worry about any of our commits flipping or any player flipping to us. When did the damn rules change? Committed now means signed sealed delivered? In Ocotober? The last 2 of your posts are fn stupid. Thank you for making it easy and putting them back to back.

I'm quickly learning that 85% of the posters on this board rode the short bus to school. I usually don't make a habit of responding to morons, but I'm killing time right now so I will humor you. We have 18 commits. We are only going to sign about 22, so yeah, we are almost finished. Look for us to flip a USM commit soon. We are going to add another O-linemen and we still hope to sign Cory Thomas. The only commit we are in danger of losing is Gerri Green.

Coach34
10-27-2013, 09:15 PM
Basically -- unless we didn't give him an extension last year -- he isn't eligible to "sign" jack right now.

we didnt give him one last year

You dont announce an extention and then fire someone 4-5 weeks later. It's over- Mullen will be our coach for 2014.

Political Hack
10-27-2013, 09:19 PM
if it's just signing an extension of the same contract, why hasn't it been signed already?

makes sense they'd have to wait until the end of the season.

I seen it dawg
10-27-2013, 09:26 PM
I'm quickly learning that 85% of the posters on this board rode the short bus to school. I usually don't make a habit of responding to morons, but I'm killing time right now so I will humor you. We have 18 commits. We are only going to sign about 22, so yeah, we are almost finished. Look for us to flip a USM commit soon. We are going to add another O-linemen and we still hope to sign Cory Thomas. The only commit we are in danger of losing is Gerri Green.

Yeah you are right..shut er down except for Green. I'm sure other schools will stop recruiting our commits just because they are our guys. That happens every year...oh wait I forgot about January where just about every damn recruit it seems is back to being open game. Recruiting never stops in today's world for any school. I don't care how little we are in danger of losing guys is. You call Bucky and let him know our guys are off limits to him?

DownwardDawg
10-27-2013, 09:27 PM

Nope. Sounds like it's over. Oh well. Come on Mullen!!!!! Let's win some ****ing games!!!!

MidTNDawg
10-27-2013, 09:27 PM
[QUOTE=Too bad Byrne left. That was a huge loss.

.[/QUOTE]

From a couple of personal dealings with Greg Byrne, I have quite a different perspective.

engie
10-27-2013, 09:29 PM
if it's just signing an extension of the same contract, why hasn't it been signed already?

makes sense they'd have to wait until the end of the season.

Exactly. I think this is damage control by Salter right at this moment... Basically a dreaded "vote of confidence".

If Stricklin is now in the business of giving out midseason extensions to underperforming coaches, it certainly fits the picture you've painted about him...

If we didn't give Mullen an extension last year -- why would we give him one in the middle of this season? What have we seen that would deserve that extension right now in the middle of the season?

Bottom line is -- buyout is still $1.4 mil. And Mullen is still networking for other jobs.

If Stricklin makes this move -- he better hope he's right. Because the wolves will be at his door step if we miss on Hudspeth and don't win big next year with Mullen..

engie
10-27-2013, 09:30 PM
From a couple of personal dealings with Greg Byrne, I have quite a different perspective.

A prickly SOB that was not enough of a "good ole boy" eh?

Op4isabitch
10-27-2013, 09:30 PM

+1000,000

WinningIsRelentless
10-27-2013, 09:36 PM
Exactly. I think this is damage control by Salter right at this moment... Basically a dreaded "vote of confidence"...

If we didn't give him one last year -- why would we give him one in the middle of this season? What have we seen that would deserve that extension right now in the middle of the season?

Bottom line is -- buyout is still $1.4 mil. And Mullen is still networking for other jobs.

If Stricklin makes this move -- he better hope he's right. Because the wolves will be at his door step if we miss on Hudspeth and don't win big next year with Mullen..

So if we were to get HUD and he didn't win big next year and somehow actually finishes with a worse record than this year do you fire him after a year? I mean everyone seems to think next year could be a 9 to 10 win season.

cheewgumm
10-27-2013, 09:38 PM
Hell no!!! It takes 10 years to build a successful team. Are you drunk?

So if we were to get HUD and he didn't win big next year and somehow actually finishes with a worse record than this year do you fire him after a year? I mean everyone seems to think next year could be a 9 to 10 win season.

hacker
10-27-2013, 09:41 PM
Bottom line is -- buyout is still $1.4 mil.

Plus his salary for the remainder of his contract. Which makes signing an extension if we're going to fire him utterly stupid.

WinningIsRelentless
10-27-2013, 09:42 PM
Oh well. We will get what we deserve. One way or another.

I think ole miss iS smarter than us and it makes me sick. Too bad Byrne left. That was a huge loss.

I'll guess I'll start looking forward to the panzie schedule like everyone else. .

Terrible .
Who has the tougher out of conference schedule: state or Alabama? I guess a panzer schedule works for them but not us? Our ****ing fan base is so ****ing stupid. Wins count more than losses. Show me a time that a Rpi or whatever the **** you want to use had a l make them higher rated than a w.

Coach34
10-27-2013, 09:44 PM
Plus his salary for the remainder of his contract. Which makes signing an extension if we're going to fire him utterly stupid.

If you announce an extention- you have 0% plans to fire someone. Means it's not even a possibility.

Mullen will be the coach in 2014. No Hud

Will James
10-27-2013, 09:45 PM

At least we have baseball

HoopsDawg
10-27-2013, 09:46 PM
Yeah you are right..shut er down except for Green. I'm sure other schools will stop recruiting our commits just because they are our guys. That happens every year...oh wait I forgot about January where just about every damn recruit it seems is back to being open game. Recruiting never stops in today's world for any school. I don't care how little we are in danger of losing guys is. You call Bucky and let him know our guys are off limits to him?

I hate to be the one to break it to you buddy, but Bucky and OM aren't coming after any of the other guys.

hacker
10-27-2013, 09:46 PM
If you announce an extention- you have 0% plans to fire someone. Means it's not even a possibility.

Yeah, totally agree. The only glimmer of hope for Hud fans is if this extension nonsense is that -- nonsense. But Veazey says it's coming straight from the university.

engie
10-27-2013, 09:47 PM

If we get Hud and win less than 4-5 next year like we're going to win this year -- I'd be concerned as hell and on the fence with Hud...

If we keep Mullen with an 8-9 win schedule -- and we win 5-6 -- I'll be gone from the discussion. Not that big of glutton for punishment.

Next year sets up -- but we need a damn shot in the arm from somewhere -- and I've yet to see anyone in favor of keeping everybody suggest how we are going to get it...

WinningIsRelentless
10-27-2013, 09:48 PM
Hell no!!! It takes 10 years to build a successful team. Are you drunk?
It's a valid question for all the HUD huggers out there. Honestly, if you hire him and he does worse next year than the coach he replaced how do you begin to sell that shit when the schedule is easier? Everyone was talking about how big of a win it was for him to go to wku and beat them and then they get skull dragged by the team a team we ass raped this weekend.

engie
10-27-2013, 09:49 PM
I hate to be the one to break it to you buddy, but Bucky and OM aren't coming after any of the other guys.

Tear down the MS law book --- need 10 year extension! No problems to see here...

Sad thing is, this is right. They MAY come after Jackson if they miss on a few people...

cheewgumm
10-27-2013, 09:50 PM
Our fanbase is stupid. They'll keeps coach who wins 6 games forever as long as he can sweep Alcorn and Jackson state.

I don't give a shit. Make the schedule easy. Just don't tell me the coach has t win 6 to stay if 4 are freaking swac teams. Bamas shitty schedule doesn't bother me because they beat teams with a pulse and their fans don't stand for losing. Our shitty schedule are the only ones we win and it makes us think the coach is better than he is.

There is one thing u are right about ... Our fans are stupid!

WinningIsRelentless
10-27-2013, 09:51 PM
If we get Hud and win less than 4-5 next year like we're going to win this year -- I'd be concerned as hell and on the fence with Hud...

If we keep Mullen with an 8-9 win schedule -- and we win 5-6 -- I'll be gone from the discussion. Not that big of glutton for punishment.

Next year sets up -- but we need a damn shot in the arm from somewhere -- and I've yet to see anyone in favor of keeping everybody suggest how we are going to get it...

If everything is held the same as it looks now, if we don't win at least 7 games next year whoever the coach is needs to be packing.

DownwardDawg
10-27-2013, 09:52 PM
It's a valid question for all the HUD huggers out there. Honestly, if you hire him and he does worse next year than the coach he replaced how do you begin to sell that shit when the schedule is easier? Everyone was talking about how big of a win it was for him to go to wku and beat them and then they get skull dragged by the team a team we ass raped this weekend.

Remind me again which team we ass raped this weekend?

Coach34
10-27-2013, 09:53 PM
Our fanbase is stupid. They'll keeps coach who wins 6 games forever as long as he can sweep Alcorn and Jackson state.

I don't give a shit. Make the schedule easy. Just don't tell me the coach has t win 6 to stay if 4 are freaking swac teams. Bamas shitty schedule doesn't bother me because they beat teams with a pulse and their fans don't stand for losing. Our shitty schedule are the only ones we win and it makes us think the coach is better than he is.

We have never played 4 SWAC teams
It's stupid for us to play a tougher schedule than Bama every year
You build a program by going to bowl games every year

engie
10-27-2013, 09:53 PM

Why would we throw him a $1.4mil BONUS -- if we still owed him $7.8 million additionally? That doesn't make a damn bit of sense.

cheewgumm
10-27-2013, 09:54 PM
Should we keep a coach who wins 6 games with next years schedule?

Yes or no?

bluelightstar

I think it's pretty obvious that he knows we don't play 4 SWAC teams.

engie

Can you point me to where this "announcement" has been made?

cheewgumm
10-27-2013, 09:56 PM
He must have been reliving Alcorn.

cheewgumm
10-27-2013, 09:58 PM
This is the question I want to know.

If we win 6 next year we will still go bowling . Do all the pro " let's go to a bowl to build the program" guys say that if we win 6 next year that we are on schedule and should stay the course?

Should we keep a coach who wins 6 games with next years schedule?

Yes or no?

Coach34
10-27-2013, 09:58 PM
Can you point me to where this "announcement" has been made?

Dude- if Veazey says he is getting from the AD- and names the person in the process- then it going to happen. You dont even mention extention if there is a 1% chance you wont retain your coach.

engie
10-27-2013, 09:59 PM

And if Mullen goes 4-8 next year and we miss on Hud -- who goes on to have IMMEDIATE success elsewhere? What then?

Point being -- anybody can throw a hypothetical against a wall to produce circumstances where the other side is wrong and a huge setback to the program...

Coach34
10-27-2013, 09:59 PM
This is the question I want to know.

If we win 6 next year we will still go bowling . Do all the pro " let's go to a bowl to build the program" guys say that if we win 6 next year that we are on schedule and should stay the course?

Well, we let Stands do it for 14 years- Mullen should get at least half that.

WinningIsRelentless
10-27-2013, 10:00 PM

I'm not defending Mullen for the position we are in because Auburn is on him and Collins. You have a young dc (first big time dc job) go to a prevent and don't bring any pressure and it cost us. The offense not moving the ball also cost us. But we are one drive away from being 5-2 with a chance of finishing with 8 wins. We have to learn to finish games and that can change from team to team year to year because of senior leadership. A coach can't change leadership never has never will be able to. A coach can coach with a little more fire but with that comes some over aggressive issues ( ed o going for it on 4th down in the egg bowl). It's a fine line a coach walks and it takes time for a head coach to figure out that happy medium and we are seeing that right now with dan.

cheewgumm
10-27-2013, 10:00 PM
Damn. Alright, we'll that's a viewpoint. I disagree.

I seen it dawg
10-27-2013, 10:02 PM
Well, we let Stands do it for 14 years- Mullen should get at least half that.

I just threw up in my mouth.

engie
10-27-2013, 10:03 PM
If everything is held the same as it looks now, if we don't win at least 7 games next year whoever the coach is needs to be packing.

Can't fire a bowl coach at MSU. So, what happens when he wins 6? Then, you have the schedule revert out of our favor in 2015 along with most likely having UF rotate back on...

At which point, you're stuck with a coach that will be clearly underperforming for at least 43 games...

Will James
10-27-2013, 10:04 PM
Bowl Games aren't what they used to be. If everyone except the scum of the league makes a bowl, is it an accomplishment. I don't think beating 4 goofballs, UK, and team X on a down year is much to celebrate anymore. Especially if all of your losses could be charged with murder.

Like engie said, the floor has been raised.

hacker
Why would we throw him a $1.4mil BONUS -- if we still owed him $7.8 million additionally? That doesn't make a damn bit of sense.

Maybe it's 1.4 million annually. But usually, the remainder of the contract is taken into account. For example, Kirk Ferentz would be owed 75% of his remaining contract.

USM paid Ellis Johnson 2.1 million - 700k salary
Kentucky paid Joker Phillips 2.5 million - 1.7M salary
Mississippi paid Houston Nutt 4.35 million - 2.7M salary
Tennessee paid Derek Dooley 5 million - 2M salary

You really think we're off the hook for only 1.4 million? If so, Mullen's agent is the worst in history.

WinningIsRelentless
And if Mullen goes 4-8 next year and we miss on Hud -- who goes on to have IMMEDIATE success elsewhere? What then?

Point being -- anybody can throw a hypothetical against a wall to produce circumstances where the other side is wrong and a huge setback to the program...

Are you 100 percent confident HUD is a better head coach than Mullen? If you aren't then it's no way you take a chance when you have a coach who has taken you to three straight bowl games and over achieved his first year before here. Every team is going to have up and down years, and yes this year is a down year for state compared to what we had last year.

engie
10-27-2013, 10:07 PM
Dude- if Veazey says he is getting from the AD- and names the person in the process- then it going to happen. You dont even mention extention if there is a 1% chance you wont retain your coach.

Like AD's never come out and give their 100% ringing endorsement of a coach -- 2 weeks before they fire him?

So, you think it's smart to be giving extensions right now -- midseason -- off a 5-8 streak where we lost AT LEAST 3 toss-ups, 2 convincingly?

WinningIsRelentless
10-27-2013, 10:10 PM
Can't fire a bowl coach at MSU. So, what happens when he wins 6? Then, you have the schedule revert out of our favor in 2015 along with most likely having UF rotate back on...

At which point, you're stuck with a coach that will be clearly underperforming for at least 43 games...

Easy you go find another coach. It's plenty of good coaches out there to get. Now do we have a ad who can go find a good coach? I think that's half the issue with some of the pro HUD guys right now, is they have no faith in strick (and I honestly don't either) to go find another coach so it's easier for them to say we need to make this safe hire in their eyes.

WinningIsRelentless
10-27-2013, 10:11 PM
Bowl Games aren't what they used to be. If everyone except the scum of the league makes a bowl, is it an accomplishment. I don't think beating 4 goofballs, UK, and team X on a down year is much to celebrate anymore. Especially if all of your losses could be charged with murder.

Who raised the floor for this program?

I seen it dawg
10-27-2013, 10:12 PM

As I've said ad nauseum...it's the Stains mentality. Can't fire him bc he wins and makes NIT, even though he clearly sucks and the wins are hollow and the program is stagnant.

Coach34
10-27-2013, 10:12 PM
Like AD's never come out and give their 100% ringing endorsement of a coach -- 2 weeks before they fire him?

So, you think it's smart to be giving extensions right now -- midseason -- off a 5-8 streak where we lost AT LEAST 3 toss-ups, 2 convincingly?

They are doing it to end the speculation. It can't be any clearer than that

And the 1.4 is what Mullen would have to pay to get out of his contract to go to another school- we would owe him around 6MM if we fired him

engie
10-27-2013, 10:13 PM
Maybe it's 1.4 million annually. But usually, the remainder of the contract is taken into account. For example, Kirk Ferentz would be owed 75% of his remaining contract.

USM paid Ellis Johnson 2.1 million
Kentucky paid Joker Phillips 2.5 million
Mississippi paid Houston Nutt 4.35 million
Tennessee paid Derek Dooley 5 million

You really think we're off the hook for only 1.4 million? If so, Mullen's agent is the worst in history.

Because a $1.4 million dollar BUYOUT is extremely low. Why? Because at the time, Mullen was the hottest name in coaching -- and thought he would be leaving soon. So, in thinking he was helping himself, he was doing us the favor.

Will James
10-27-2013, 10:14 PM
Who raised the floor for this program?

Lots of factors including Mullen.

Stands raised a floor as well.

Polk.......... floor, house, neighborhood.

If you aren't meeting your own floor, it doesn't mean you are immune.

hacker
10-27-2013, 10:16 PM
Because a $1.4 million dollar BUYOUT is extremely low. Why? Because at the time, Mullen was the hottest name in coaching -- and thought he would be leaving soon. So, in thinking he was helping himself, he was doing us the favor.

You know he got a new contract and a huge raise to 2.7 million in 2010, right?

hacker
10-27-2013, 10:18 PM

Mullen’s contract with Mississippi State now runs through the 2014 season and his buyout if any school wishes to hire him away from Starkville is set at $1.4 million (an increase from this seasons’ $750,000 figure).

this should end the talk on the 1.4 million figure...

http://sdnmsu.wordpress.com/2010/12/31/sdn-gator-bowl-coverage-day-4-morning-so-heres-what-we-know-about-dan-*cough**cough**cough**cough**cough**cough**cough*-new-contract/

WinningIsRelentless
10-27-2013, 10:19 PM
Lots of factors including Mullen.

Stands raised a floor as well.

Polk.......... floor, house, neighborhood.

If you aren't meeting your own floor, it doesn't mean you are immune.
Aw so the ole miss school of thought with the firing of cut after on bad season. What the hell did that get them, three years of horrible football brought to you by Ed o. Coaches are going to be scared shitless to come to mississippi state if they think they are going to get Fired the first time they go 6-6.

Dawgface
10-27-2013, 10:21 PM
All I can say is if we finish up 4-8, Strick is going to look damn stupid. Not that he doesn't already.

engie
10-27-2013, 10:21 PM
Are you 100 percent confident HUD is a better head coach than Mullen? If you aren't then it's no way you take a chance when you have a coach who has taken you to three straight bowl games and over achieved his first year before here. Every team is going to have up and down years, and yes this year is a down year for state compared to what we had last year.

Yes, I'm 100% confident that he is a better coach FOR MSU than Dan Mullen.

What we had last year was a DOWN YEAR. We got lucky as hell with the schedule and faced 4 total dumpster fires in the SEC -- the first time there has been four total dumpster fires at once in MANY years. Know what happened afterwards? ALL 4 fired their coaches(the largest turnover in a single year in SEC history.

Sagarin:
09 - 45
10 - 15
11 - 31
12 - 42(OM 24)
current 53(OM 26)

We are worse right now than we were when Mullen started. How and why can people not see this?

hacker
10-27-2013, 10:22 PM
As for the actual figure of what we'd owe Mullen if we fired him this year, I'd guess between $4 and 6 million. The $6 million figure being quoted was a quick guess by Clay Travis.

Will James
10-27-2013, 10:23 PM
Coaches are going to be scared shitless to come to mississippi state if they think they are going to get Fired the first time they go 6-6.

What about 5-7 or 4-8?

And what if another coach named Mark Hudspeth was already lined up who wasn't scared shitless?

engie
10-27-2013, 10:24 PM
Easy you go find another coach. It's plenty of good coaches out there to get. Now do we have a ad who can go find a good coach? I think that's half the issue with some of the pro HUD guys right now, is they have no faith in strick (and I honestly don't either) to go find another coach so it's easier for them to say we need to make this safe hire in their eyes.

It's that I don't think that there is a better coach out there for MSU than Mark Hudspeth... Certainly not one that will stay and build something special here... So, yes, you are partially correct...

Will James
10-27-2013, 10:24 PM
We are worse right now than we were when Mullen started. How and why can people not see this?

Exactly right.

hacker
10-27-2013, 10:27 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_Mississippi_State_Bulldogs_football_team yes we are way worse than that**

Jesus Christ you guys

engie
10-27-2013, 10:27 PM

We won't be beating UK for much longer. Maybe not even next year. That's what many aren't seeing. We are on our way back to the basement -- and we're damn well going to have to GO THERE for 2 years before A HUGE PERCENTAGE of our fans will admit it to themselves.

WinningIsRelentless
10-27-2013, 10:29 PM
Yes, I'm 100% confident that he is a better coach FOR MSU than Dan Mullen.

What we had last year was a DOWN YEAR. We got lucky as hell with the schedule and faced 4 total dumpster fires in the SEC -- the first time there has been four total dumpster fires at once in MANY years. Know what happened afterwards? ALL 4 fired their coaches(the largest turnover in a single year in SEC history.

Sagarin:
09 - 45
10 - 15
11 - 31
12 - 42(OM 24)
current 53(OM 26)

You can't ****ing compare the current to a complete finished year. Hell I bet we were damn near 60 until we beat ole miss in 09. To say we are worse now than when Mullen started just shows how damn delusional you are. And this shit of a better coach for msu is bullshit also. A ****ing football coach is a football coach and the best coach is the best coach.

engie
10-27-2013, 10:29 PM
this should end the talk on the 1.4 million figure...

http://sdnmsu.wordpress.com/2010/12/31/sdn-gator-bowl-coverage-day-4-morning-so-heres-what-we-know-about-dan-*cough**cough**cough**cough**cough**cough**cough*-new-contract/

That tells me nothing new.

hacker
10-27-2013, 10:31 PM
That tells me nothing new.

Did you even read it? The 1.4 million figure is "his buyout if any school wishes to hire him away from Starkville"

Not what we owe him.

engie
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_Mississippi_State_Bulldogs_football_team yes we are way worse than that**

Jesus Christ you guys

I don't give a **** about 2008, where we had 10 guys out with season ending injuries before the season began. From 2009 to NOW, we have gotten worse. Pick any game you want and go back and watch it and tell me I'm wrong.

Will James
A ****ing football coach is a football coach and the best coach is the best coach.

That's dumb. If crootin were not an aspect in any way you may be on to something.

cheewgumm
10-27-2013, 10:33 PM
This is another argument that drives me nuts. We're gonna pay $3 m and let
The next guy coach in the sec . If we find one that doesn't want
It then f em. Next! Damn that is
Top 25 money and prestige. We have nothing to be ashamed of. Hell, we could fire Mullen at half time and not worry about
It
In my mind. Damn, you could
Have bully hand the paper to
Mullen at half time of
The ole miss game and we'd still get a good coach the
Following year.

Aw so the ole miss school of thought with the firing of cut after on bad season. What the hell did that get them, three years of horrible football brought to you by Ed o. Coaches are going to be scared shitless to come to mississippi state if they think they are going to get Fired the first time they go 6-6.

engie
10-27-2013, 10:35 PM
You can't ****ing compare the current to a complete finished year. Hell I bet we were damn near 60 until we beat ole miss in 09. To say we are worse now than when Mullen started just shows how damn delusional you are.
I guess you think we're going to IMPROVE as we close this bitch out at 1-4? And I'm the ****ing delusional one?

And this shit of a better coach for msu is bullshit also. A ****ing football coach is a football coach and the best coach is the best coach.
How simple-minded can you be? Know what's a big ass part of coaching in college? Recruiting. Know what Mullen sucks at and Hud excels at? You guessed it...

But they are all the same**

WinningIsRelentless
10-27-2013, 10:36 PM
That's dumb. If crootin were not an aspect in any way you may be on to something.

ED O is the only thing that needs to be said to that statement.

engie
10-27-2013, 10:38 PM
Did you even read it? The 1.4 million figure is "his buyout if any school wishes to hire him away from Starkville"

Not what we owe him.

IF this ends up being correct -- great.

Our boosters are going to be really happy when they owe $2mil extra because Strick didn't listen to them and gave an EXTENSION off 5-8(soon to be 5-11). Looking forward to seeing the housecleaning...

Dawgface
10-27-2013, 10:39 PM
One other thought. Maybe the AD is putting this out about an extension just to hang onto recruits, but really has not intent to get this signed before Thanksgiving. Conveniently drag their feet and not get it done as soon as the statement implies. Maybe that is all there is to it. One can hope anyway.

engie
ED O is the only thing that needs to be said to that statement.

Yep. He was the 8th winningest coach in ALL OF FBS by career win percentage when OM hired him. Great analogy**

WinningIsRelentless
I guess you think we're going to IMPROVE as we close this bitch out at 1-4? And I'm the ****ing delusional one?

How simple-minded can you be? Know what's a big ass part of coaching in college? Recruiting. Know what Mullen sucks at and Hud excels at? You guessed it...

But they are all the same**

HUD lost a few recruits to USM last year. Plus you can't compare recruiting at ULL to recruiting at state because a lot of his players are referred to him by other major conference coaches for players that don't meet their academic guidelines and refuse to go the juco route.

Op4isabitch
10-27-2013, 10:40 PM
Petrino is only making 850k per year on a 4 year contract at WKU. His buy out is $1.2 million.

I bet he would jump for over 3 times his current salary and a chance to be back in the SEC.

Schultzy
10-27-2013, 10:41 PM

I'll bet one of those decision makers you get second hand inside information from already has a plan to give us that "shot in the arm".

hacker
10-27-2013, 10:42 PM
IF this ends up being correct -- great.

Our boosters are going to be really happy when they owe $2mil extra because Strick didn't listen to them and gave an EXTENSION off 5-8(soon to be 5-11). Looking forward to seeing the housecleaning...

Cool. So now that we have the 1.4M figure out of the way, this brings us back to the thread's premise. Buyouts are almost always tied to the remaining contract. If we are giving Mullen an extension, we are not buying him out this year. It's that simple.

If the University is putting out nonsense about an extension, then we have other problems, I suppose.

WinningIsRelentless
10-27-2013, 10:44 PM
Yep. He was the 8th winningest coach in ALL OF FBS by career win percentage when OM hired him. Great analogy**

He was a ****ing dl coach with no head coaching experience. That's what they got after firing cut after one bad losing season!

preachermatt83
10-27-2013, 10:44 PM
One other thought. Maybe the AD is putting this out about an extension just to hang onto recruits, but really has not intent to get this signed before Thanksgiving. Conveniently drag their feet and not get it done as soon as the statement implies. Maybe that is all there is to it. One can hope anyway.

ding ding ding!!!!!!! Not to mention I have yet to see anyone other than veazey saying this. All of what I am hearing is this, win one game, save job....lose out, fired.... It's simple. Noone, not even those who want to give mullen the rest another year are wanting an extension. That's stupid. IF this is true, Striklin is worse than LT, Period.. It would be the dumbest thing I have ever heard and AD do. If there was an extension to be given it would be given at the end of the year certainly not in the middle of a sub par season .

scottycameron
10-27-2013, 10:50 PM
You guys aren't getting it. He's not being fired this offseason, regardless. He can't recruit without an extension. That's it.

engie
10-27-2013, 10:55 PM
HUD lost a few recruits to USM last year. Plus you can't compare recruiting at ULL to recruiting at state because a lot of his players are referred to him by other major conference coaches for players that don't meet their academic guidelines and refuse to go the juco route.

What makes you think I'm in ANY WAY talking about his recruiting while in Lafayette? That's like talking about Freeze's recruiting at Arkansas St. A great recruiter is a great recruiter -- and it's easy to tell by intrapersonal relationsips, connections, and friendships. If you would talk about Hudspeth to a highschool coach anywhere in MS -- you wouldn't be making me explain it to you.

Hudspeth was here at MSU for 2 years. A borderline elite MSU class fell apart as soon as he left. There was basically no such thing as a flipmas when Hudspeth was here -- or even whispers of one -- but as soon as he left, it was open season. Doesn't take a genius to figure it out...

engie
10-27-2013, 10:56 PM
I'll bet one of those decision makers you get second hand inside information from already has a plan to give us that "shot in the arm".

Yeah -- firing the AD if he makes this decision without their approval(he doesn't currently have it).

engie
10-27-2013, 10:58 PM
He was a ****ing dl coach with no head coaching experience. That's what they got after firing cut after one bad losing season!

Jesus H -- the analogy was easy as hell to follow if you have been on planet earth with the rest of us.

Dawgface
10-27-2013, 10:59 PM
You guys aren't getting it. He's not being fired this offseason, regardless. He can't recruit without an extension. That's it.

Even if we go 4-8 and get blown out in several of the remaining games? True....then I don't get it.

Schultzy
10-27-2013, 11:04 PM
Yeah -- firing the AD if he makes this decision without their approval(he doesn't currently have it).

I give up.

WinningIsRelentless
10-27-2013, 11:05 PM
What makes you think I'm in ANY WAY talking about his recruiting while in Lafayette? That's like talking about Freeze's recruiting at Arkansas St. A great recruiter is a great recruiter -- and it's easy to tell by intrapersonal relationsips, connections, and friendships. If you would talk about Hudspeth to a highschool coach anywhere in MS -- you wouldn't be making me explain it to you.

Hudspeth was here at MSU for 2 years. A borderline elite MSU class fell apart as soon as he left. There was basically no such thing as a flipmas when Hudspeth was here -- or even whispers of one -- but as soon as he left, it was open season. Doesn't take a genius to figure it out...

It also can be tied back to the bank accounts of a few major alum from ole miss opening up too.

WinningIsRelentless
10-27-2013, 11:07 PM
Jesus H -- the analogy was easy as hell to follow if you have been on planet earth with the rest of us.

No you missed the analogy! Dl coach isn't equal to oc

scottycameron
10-27-2013, 11:18 PM
Even if we go 4-8 and get blown out in several of the remaining games? True....then I don't get it.

Yes. Half a season is not going to trump his body of work. It's not even a consideration with people who make these decisions. He's not even on a hotseat yet. A bad finish to this year could get the seat warm, that's about it.

engie
10-27-2013, 11:22 PM
I give up.

Good. Go tell Hack he's a moron that doesn't know what he's talking about now**

engie
10-27-2013, 11:26 PM
It also can be tied back to the bank accounts of a few major alum from ole miss opening up too.

They didn't have any of that money in 2009 and 2010?

Please grasp the context clues

engie
10-27-2013, 11:28 PM
No you missed the analogy! Dl coach isn't equal to oc

I totally give up. Let me figure it out for you.

http://my.jetscreenshot.com/12222/m_20131024-dloy-51kb.jpg (http://my.jetscreenshot.com/12222/20131024-dloy-51kb)

Now -- continue with your Orgeron analogy that in no way defines MSU...

engie
10-27-2013, 11:37 PM
Yes. Half a season is not going to trump his body of work. It's not even a consideration with people who make these decisions. He's not even on a hotseat yet. A bad finish to this year could get the seat warm, that's about it.

Only at MSU can you go, in all likelihood, 6-12 over 18 games and show clear regression in recruiting and team effort -- and your seat "possibly" start to get "warm."

cheewgumm
10-28-2013, 12:00 AM
No kidding. It's comical.

Only at MSU can you go, in all likelihood, 6-12 over 18 games and show clear regression in recruiting and team effort -- and your seat "possibly" start to get "warm."

BossDawg
10-28-2013, 12:06 AM
Too bad Byrne left.

That's hurting us more than anything. It must be against some sort of college football Karma to employ someone with balls in the MSU athletic department.

Todd4State
10-28-2013, 02:21 AM
This is kind of weird to me. I can't recall an extension being leaked in the news like that where the person leaking the info was named. And I also can't recall an extension being leaked mid season.

My thought is the school sees what's going on in the form of rumors and attendance- but I think they want to show support for the current coach as well. It's a fine line to walk for sure.

I don't really know what the intent of leaking this info is- but the LAST thing I would do is give Dan a contract extension. I might keep him at 7-5. But I wouldn't extend him. But this was an obviously intentional leak.

If it were me, I'd make a change if I were MSU. The fire isn't there- and that only leads to things getting worse. Not better.

BulldogBear
10-28-2013, 05:20 AM

WIR is referring to Troy whooping WKU this weekend. Maybe his sentence wasn't arranged all that well ;)

Dawgface
10-28-2013, 07:56 AM

Exactly. That's much longer than half a season too.

HancockCountyDog
10-28-2013, 08:37 AM
All I know is that with 4 games left in the 2008 season, no one thought we would fire the reigning SEC coach of the year, and the first African American coach in the SEC. No one. Sure a lot of us wanted it to happen, but no one thought it would happen.

Then the bears curb stomped us and the rest is history.

Bottom line is that the season is on the line against SC and Arkansas - We have to win one of these game so that the team shows up against the bears. If we have 4 wins and the bears are the 5th win, it will be very hard to rally the troops for that game.

Im still in Mullen's camp, but he can't go 0-4 to end the season and expect to keep his job. No chance.

Coach34
10-28-2013, 08:54 AM
All I know is that with 4 games left in the 2008 season, no one thought we would fire the reigning SEC coach of the year, and the first African American coach in the SEC. No one. Sure a lot of us wanted it to happen, but no one thought it would happen. .

This is nowhere near true. I announced on Sixpack after the Ga Tech loss that Byrne had the go-ahead to make a change. It was left up to him and he decided to let the season play out.

Mullen is going to be the coach in 2014. You dont announce an extention is there is even a 1% chance you might make a change. You can say a 100 other things to support your coach without leaking that. Mullen aint going anywhere and it's time for people to accept that the Hud door has closed

MadDawg
10-28-2013, 09:42 AM
Hud would be committing career suicide if he came to MSU.

Homedawg
10-28-2013, 10:39 AM
Again, this extension was agreed to prior to the season beginning, it was a rollover to give him the full 4 years. I assumed it was signed already. Either way, this isn't givin him until 2017 just an extension from last season. Barring a total collapse he's goin to be the coach next year. But he won't be getting an extension, he'll have 3 years left on his contract.