PDA

View Full Version : Rental Property in Starkville

SandlotDawg
10-30-2019, 06:35 AM
Since we may be looking to be back into the dark ages of MSU football depending on what decision Cohen makes next, I figured there may be some rental properties that may be available next fall that normally would not be available. I'm taking the plunge and getting married next September, and while I'm fine with my fiance's current apartment in starkville, we'd both prefer a house. We don't plan on living in starkville more than a couple years or until she finishes her PhD otherwise I'd be looking to purchase a house. With that being said, I was wondering if any of you may own or know someone who owns a home in starkville and may be willing to rent it out beginning next August? Buying a home is still an option, but I'm a little hesitant about what the housing market may turn into if we revert back to Croom status... What are yall's thoughts?

Johnson85
10-30-2019, 09:00 AM
Since we may be looking to be back into the dark ages of MSU football depending on what decision Cohen makes next, I figured there may be some rental properties that may be available next fall that normally would not be available. I'm taking the plunge and getting married next September, and while I'm fine with my fiance's current apartment in starkville, we'd both prefer a house. We don't plan on living in starkville more than a couple years or until she finishes her PhD otherwise I'd be looking to purchase a house. With that being said, I was wondering if any of you may own or know someone who owns a home in starkville and may be willing to rent it out beginning next August? Buying a home is still an option, but I'm a little hesitant about what the housing market may turn into if we revert back to Croom status... What are yall's thoughts?

Can't help you on the rental options, but I would agree now is not the time to be buying, at least any property that is viewed in competition with weekend homes. There's also potentially the issue of the college bubble bursting as people figure out spending a shit ton of money on a dime a dozen degree may not pay off financially (although I don't think this will hurt state; I think it will help state as students choose state over more expensive schools).

Ari Gold
10-30-2019, 05:10 PM

Just to address the “dark ages” ... you people do understand we were 5-7 just 4 years ago..
no one knows what’s going to happen after the season if joe stays or goes or even knows what next year holds.
We all get it .. not many if Any thinks Joe is the guy but let’s not over react with one bad year...

DogsofAnarchy
10-30-2019, 05:25 PM
Just to address the “dark ages” ... you people do understand we were 5-7 just 4 years ago..
no one knows what’s going to happen after the season if joe stays or goes or even knows what next year holds.
We all get it .. not many if Any thinks Joe is the guy but let’s not over react with one bad year...

You’re right because this administration isn’t going to break the chain of expectations at MSU concerning football anyway.
Status quo!!

BlameTheDogs
10-30-2019, 06:01 PM
We have a condo in Academy Village. PM me if interested.
We mainly short term rent, but will entertain the idea of long term.

SandlotDawg
10-30-2019, 06:02 PM
But is it safe to assume it’s only one bad year? I mean let’s say Joe comes back next year and has no improvement and he gets canned. New coach for 2021 and expect to be an 8 win team by earliest 2022 assuming we get a good coach... let’s be realistic here, what are the odds of getting a guy that can form some consistency at least to Mullen level? Another bad decision or two by the athletic department, and you can almost bet on a string of 5-7 or 4-8 years. What does that mean for the housing developments in Starkville? Look at all of the condos and houses built since 2014. How much of that was built because of football revenue? I don’t know all of the logistics but since I started living in Starkville 5 years ago, there has been at least 10 apt/condominiums built. What were the numbers of projects 2003-2008?

Gutter Cobreh
10-30-2019, 06:30 PM
I've heard a lot of reasons why people consider buying homes (schools, acreage, etc.), but I must say that I don't think I've ever seen it come down to whether the football program will be good or not. Mind boggling.

BlameTheDogs
10-30-2019, 06:45 PM
Starkville real estate prices are still on the low side, relatively speaking. The prices will just keep going up for a while.

Harrydawg
10-30-2019, 06:56 PM
I've heard a lot of reasons why people consider buying homes (schools, acreage, etc.), but I must say that I don't think I've ever seen it come down to whether the football program will be good or not. Mind boggling.

Exactly. People who think that real estate is tied to the football program is ignorant.

SandlotDawg
10-30-2019, 07:33 PM
Exactly. People who think that real estate is tied to the football program is ignorant.

Are* who?s ignorant again? Anybody want to explain the random increase in condominiums in Starkville from 2014 to now? Is it uptick in industry in the area? Don?t think so. Number 1 ranking in football? More likely.

Gutter Cobreh
10-30-2019, 08:28 PM
Are* who?s ignorant again? Anybody want to explain the random increase in condominiums in Starkville from 2014 to now? Is it uptick in industry in the area? Don?t think so. Number 1 ranking in football? More likely.

You said earlier you've only live in Starkville for 5 years. I was there for the end of Sherrill and all of Croom. Those were some lean years in football, and I can guarantee you that at no point was any developer worried about it. They were building then and they'll continue building regardless of football. Real estate comes down to price and location (with the latter being the most important). Pretty sure Dan Camp didn't develop/renovate based on the cycle of the football program. It's ignorant to think otherwise.

Homedawg
10-30-2019, 09:20 PM
Starkville real estate prices are still on the low side, relatively speaking. The prices will just keep going up for a while.

Low compared to what??

Homedawg
10-30-2019, 09:23 PM
You said earlier you've only live in Starkville for 5 years. I was there for the end of Sherrill and all of Croom. Those were some lean years in football, and I can guarantee you that at no point was any developer worried about it. They were building then and they'll continue building regardless of football. Real estate comes down to price and location (with the latter being the most important). Pretty sure Dan Camp didn't develop/renovate based on the cycle of the football program. It's ignorant to think otherwise.

While he didn't plan it or build it based on football, if you think he didn't benefit from our football team being good, you my friend are the idiot. Prices shot up. Builders will tell you when football is going bad sales are down. But yeah, has nothing to do with it. Nothing.
To add. When football is going well what typically happens to enrollment, it goes up, why???? Just happenstance.... happenstance everywhere

lastmajordog
10-30-2019, 09:38 PM
delete

Randolph Dupree
10-30-2019, 09:46 PM
I think you'd be ok buying, just understand the market. I haven't shopped the Starkville market in a number of years but there will always be a market for smaller 2-3 BR houses in the proximity of campus. Just stay away from the $300K 1400 sqft condo type of places and you should be fine. If there's a market tied to the success of athletics that's it. However, in a college town you've always got people moving in and out that are in the market for smaller homes and if you move and cannot sell it promptly, there's always the option of renting it out.

Gutter Cobreh
10-30-2019, 09:52 PM
While he didn't plan it or build it based on football, if you think he didn't benefit from our football team being good, you my friend are the idiot. Prices shot up. Builders will tell you when football is going bad sales are down. But yeah, has nothing to do with it. Nothing.
To add. When football is going well what typically happens to enrollment, it goes up, why???? Just happenstance.... happenstance everywhere

Please highlight where I said he didn't benefit. The whole freaking town benefits, but he didn't build/renovate because of it.

Go ahead and buy some shotty built home on the outskirts of town. I don't care if the football team brings home a Natty, you ain't selling that bitch for a profit. I'll say it again because you didn't catch it the first time - real estate is driven by price and location.

Homedawg
10-30-2019, 09:58 PM
So they do benefit?? Hmm. Trust me, as they've found in Oxford it matters way more than you want to admit. As for the place on the outskirts, it benefits even more. Do you know the price of land and house in the county??

Lord McBuckethead
10-30-2019, 10:01 PM

Yeah, Starkville is damn high compared to Colimbus and West Point.

Homedawg
10-30-2019, 10:02 PM
Yeah, Starkville is damn high compared to Colimbus and West Point.

STARKVILLE is damn high compared to most of the state.

LC Dawg
10-30-2019, 10:15 PM

Relative to what?

SandlotDawg
10-31-2019, 06:01 AM
Yeah definitely would stay away from the 300k condo, but I’ve also found some pretty crazy prices on some small houses. There’s a house about 3 blocks from downtown built in the 40s listed for like 340k, and on top of that it would take about 60k to get it renovated. In comparison, we’ve looked into Greenville, SC because we think we may want to move there. I’ve found several nice new homes for like 275k. It’s just crazy when you compare the starkville market to something like that and Starkville is way higher it seems. All that being said, my fianc? expects to finish her phD in 2 years so we’ll probably just continue renting.

BlameTheDogs
10-31-2019, 07:05 AM
Relative to Oxford. Average price per square foot in Oxford is over $40 FT higher than Starkville

Johnson85
10-31-2019, 08:40 AM
Relative to Oxford. Average price per square foot in Oxford is over $40 FT higher than Starkville

I can believe that around the square, but there are a lot more crappy condos close to UM's campus than there are in Starkville, and they were relatively cheap to equivalent places in Starkville a few years ago).

Johnson85
10-31-2019, 08:45 AM

They were building because they were predicting continued growth of the school and retirees and the town in general. The demand for weekend homes just wasn't that big of a deal then. It's become a much bigger deal now, and developers have reacted to it, and there will be an impact if we start sucking at football. Probably won't have much impact on houses set up to be primary homes (e.g., 2500sq ft+, big yards, not near campus or downtown/cotton district, etc). But there will be an impact, just like there was in Oxford (granted Oxford probably had a bigger development boom, which made the impact greater).

Ari Gold
11-01-2019, 09:49 AM
Winning Football means winning Starkville means winning Miss State period.
Yet our recruiting budget for football is one of the lowest for ALL P5 schools. It’s. It 2009 anymore.. it’s time to step it up just a little..

SandlotDawg
11-01-2019, 10:43 AM
Winning Football means winning Starkville means winning Miss State period.
Yet our recruiting budget for football is one of the lowest for ALL P5 schools. It’s. It 2009 anymore.. it’s time to step it up just a little..

Agreed. Ari, what do you think it’s going to take? Are the funds just not available or are we too old fashioned to come off of the money?

R2Dawg
11-01-2019, 11:41 AM

As Lee Corso says, not so fast. In a micro view yes but a macro view it can have a tremendous effect. I'll use an extreme to make my point. Bama before Saban, just a steady rock along pace on school growth and real estate. Years after Saban and winning football, school growth exploding as well as real estate. Most people I know that go to Bama go because of football team. Winning football fills up stadium; full stadium means weekend homes are gonna sale.

From that end, depending on what happens with Moorhead, it might be a good time to buy before long.

IMissJack
11-01-2019, 03:10 PM
the college bubble bursting as people figure out spending a shit ton of money on a dime a dozen degree may not pay off financially (although I don't think this will hurt state; I think it will help state as students choose state over more expensive schools).

MSU is not cheap for what you get. The prices are relatively the same as most public colleges in the south, and our rankings have been going down in educational ranking publications.

Johnson85
11-01-2019, 04:11 PM
MSU is not cheap for what you get. The prices are relatively the same as most public colleges in the south, and our rankings have been going down in educational ranking publications.

Other than Georgia Tech, major public colleges across the south are pretty much the same for undergrad. (UGA may be separating itself some also?) But more importantly, MSU offers the same or better prospects than William Carey, Milsaps, Mississippi College, Belhaven, etc. at a better price. Those places are about to start hurting.