PDA

View Full Version : World Series......

RougeDawg
10-29-2019, 10:54 PM
Coming down to the last game.

The most mental sport in all of sport and you cannot ask for more. I pull for the Astros but I enjoy baseball played purely.

Baseball is the most mental sport of all. Hitter vs Pitcher and every scenario changing with each pitch, is as mental as it gets. I won?t get into knowing what pitchers are throwing based on count and swings but someone please tell me what it more difficult than what they do, pitch after pitch. Hitter and pitcher.

parabrave
10-30-2019, 01:13 AM
MVP should be Readon but if Astos win It might be Springer. Sure as hell won't be Verlander. I can't believe they kept him in there especially after that Readon HR. 2 great alltime pitchers you might want to put in the bullpen during postseason are Verlander and Kershaw. They are disasterous in postseason.

Commercecomet24
10-30-2019, 08:49 AM
Coming down to the last game.

The most mental sport in all of sport and you cannot ask for more. I pull for the Astros but I enjoy baseball played purely.

Baseball is the most mental sport of all. Hitter vs Pitcher and every scenario changing with each pitch, is as mental as it gets. I won?t get into knowing what pitchers are throwing based on count and swings but someone please tell me what it more difficult than what they do, pitch after pitch. Hitter and pitcher.

Agree on all this. It's why I love the game so much!

Commercecomet24
10-30-2019, 08:50 AM
MVP should be Readon but if Astos win It might be Springer. Sure as hell won't be Verlander. I can't believe they kept him in there especially after that Readon HR. 2 great alltime pitchers you might want to put in the bullpen during postseason are Verlander and Kershaw. They are disasterous in postseason.

The Dodgers tried that against the Nats in their last game but Kershaw blew that game coming out of the bullpen lol

parabrave
10-30-2019, 10:43 AM
The Dodgers tried that against the Nats in their last game but Kershaw blew that game coming out of the bullpen lol

I was talking to a former braves pitcher at an event in ATL a few years back when the subject of Smoltz tenure as a closer came up. I asked him how he felt about starters being used a relief pitchers. He said that most starters would not do good as relief because they are used to starting a game and pitching for long run and not coming in and throwing heat just to get three outs. If that makes any sense

Commercecomet24
10-30-2019, 10:47 AM
I was talking to a former braves pitcher at an event in ATL a few years back when the subject of Smoltz tenure as a closer came up. I asked him how he felt about starters being used a relief pitchers. He said that most starters would not do good as relief because they are used to starting a game and pitching for long run and not coming in and throwing heat just to get three outs. If that makes any sense

Oh yeah it makes perfect sense. Its just a different mind set. And a lot of starting pitchers struggle in that first inning and then settle in when they find whats working, you don't have that luxury as a reliever. Smoltz, Eckersley they were some of the very few who made a successful transition.

parabrave
10-30-2019, 11:24 AM
Well I think Strasbourg gave the Nats the biggest gift last night when he went 8 and saved the bullpen because Scherzer might give you 1 inning or 7.

shoeless joe
10-30-2019, 11:41 AM
Aaahhhhh....game 7. Gotta love it. I believe the correct terminology is, NUT CUTTIN TIME

Commercecomet24
10-30-2019, 12:00 PM
Aaahhhhh....game 7. Gotta love it. I believe the correct terminology is, NUT CUTTIN TIME

I always hope every post season series goes to the final game but especially the World Series. Every pitch, every at bat, every play is just so intense. Nothing like it! Yeah its nut cuttin time!

Really Clark?
10-30-2019, 12:09 PM
Game Seven to win the World Series. I love it. Hope it goes 15 innings as well. The drama, pressure, crowd riding the wave with each pitch. You get a runner on in the first and excitement builds. Get a K with a runner on 3rd and the place erupts. Just love it

RocketDawg
10-30-2019, 04:19 PM
If the Nationals win tonight, it'll be the first time ever a Series has been won without the home team winning a game.

Tbonewannabe
10-30-2019, 04:29 PM
If the Nationals win tonight, it'll be the first time ever a Series has been won without the home team winning a game.

Crazy. As a Braves fan, I don't want the Nationals to win it but I would think it was hilarious after Harper leaves then they win it.

Commercecomet24
10-30-2019, 04:53 PM
Crazy. As a Braves fan, I don't want the Nationals to win it but I would think it was hilarious after Harper leaves then they win it.

Same here.

Todd4State
10-31-2019, 01:22 AM

To me starting and relief pitching are essentially two different positions. He's right that starting pitchers would have to adjust but typically for them if you can be an ace switching over to be a closer is a relatively easy adjustment as far as baseball goes because they usually have + stuff that they can just drop the payload on hitters in a game seven situation. Some of the backend of the rotation guys probably wouldn't do very well though.

parabrave
10-31-2019, 02:15 AM
Well Stras got the MVP over Readon. I thought Readon should have got it/

shoeless joe
10-31-2019, 06:40 AM
The 2-1 pitch to Soto in the 7th that was called a ball changed the game. I was actually pulling for the Nats but when greinke threw that strike that was called a ball it felt like that could lead to something...which it did.

Hinch over manages the hell outta that game. Should have let greinkewkeep rolling and brought cole in for the 8th and 9th. Classic CYA managing but in this case it will be questioned forever in Houston.

Also, it is really hard to pull for Soto with all his antics. Much like acuna if they’d just play the game without all the on field extra they are really fun to watch. Do the silly stuff in the dugout and let us enjoy your talents on the field. But even with that said I’m glad they won it the first year Harper jumped ship.

msstate7
10-31-2019, 07:00 AM
Well Stras got the MVP over Readon. I thought Readon should have got it/

Hopefully stras opts out, and he and rendon go somewhere in the AL

Commercecomet24
10-31-2019, 08:40 AM
The 2-1 pitch to Soto in the 7th that was called a ball changed the game. I was actually pulling for the Nats but when greinke threw that strike that was called a ball it felt like that could lead to something...which it did.

Hinch over manages the hell outta that game. Should have let greinkewkeep rolling and brought cole in for the 8th and 9th. Classic CYA managing but in this case it will be questioned forever in Houston.

Also, it is really hard to pull for Soto with all his antics. Much like acuna if they’d just play the game without all the on field extra they are really fun to watch. Do the silly stuff in the dugout and let us enjoy your talents on the field. But even with that said I’m glad they won it the first year Harper jumped ship.

Yeah managers now are scared to death to leave a starting pitcher in the game. Greinke was rolling and had made kendrick look bad in his at bats. He had only thrown 80 pitches. He threw one bad pitch that Rendon hit out. I told my son that Hinch may have just messed up when he took Greinke out.

Tbonewannabe
10-31-2019, 09:10 AM
To me starting and relief pitching are essentially two different positions. He's right that starting pitchers would have to adjust but typically for them if you can be an ace switching over to be a closer is a relatively easy adjustment as far as baseball goes because they usually have + stuff that they can just drop the payload on hitters in a game seven situation. Some of the backend of the rotation guys probably wouldn't do very well though.

I think the starting pitchers that do well out of the pen are the ones who piss fire. Scherzer yes, Greinke no. It is just a different mindset. Papelbon was good out of the pen but probably couldn't hold back his effort to last as a starting pitcher. I think a good closer is a guy that comes in to strike out the side rather than just get outs.

dawgs
10-31-2019, 03:10 PM
Yeah managers now are scared to death to leave a starting pitcher in the game. Greinke was rolling and had made kendrick look bad in his at bats. He had only thrown 80 pitches. He threw one bad pitch that Rendon hit out. I told my son that Hinch may have just messed up when he took Greinke out.

Greinke made rendon look bad his first 2 ABs too, then he cranked a bomb, so clearly making a guy look bad twice through the lineup doesn't guarantee anything. Nats might have figured something out that 3rd time through (and the numbers say that every pitcher gets significantly worse the 3rd time thru the order). In a game 7 situation, don't think Hinch did anything wrong. Harris has been one of the best relievers in baseball for 5 years now, not like he was bringing him a nats reliever.

Commercecomet24
10-31-2019, 03:36 PM
Greinke made rendon look bad his first 2 ABs too, then he cranked a bomb, so clearly making a guy look bad twice through the lineup doesn't guarantee anything. Nats might have figured something out that 3rd time through (and the numbers say that every pitcher gets significantly worse the 3rd time thru the order). In a game 7 situation, don't think Hinch did anything wrong. Harris has been one of the best relievers in baseball for 5 years now, not like he was bringing him a nats reliever.

Unfortunately I've watched it happen to many times. Take a starting pitcher out when he's rolling and this happens. When a team is being dominated by a pitcher the best thing for the team being shutdown is for that pitcher to leave the game. It's like a fresh start and Harris had also pitched poorly the night before. Personally I would've left him in but I'm not Hinch and don't get paid to make decisions like he does. He obviously thought it was the right decsion.

dawgs
10-31-2019, 09:07 PM
Unfortunately I've watched it happen to many times. Take a starting pitcher out when he's rolling and this happens. When a team is being dominated by a pitcher the best thing for the team being shutdown is for that pitcher to leave the game. It's like a fresh start and Harris had also pitched poorly the night before. Personally I would've left him in but I'm not Hinch and don't get paid to make decisions like he does. He obviously thought it was the right decsion.

Harris gave up 1 run in game 6. It was the only run he'd given up all postseason. Cole gave up runs in all his starts in the postseason too, wasn't like he had a scoreless streak going. Bring in cole and he get knocked around and everyone says "how did you bring in a starter in with runners on base?!?!?" I could've seen going to cole after that inning to keep the nats from getting insurance runs, but ultimately, Astros didn't score anyway.

As for grienke, can easily say you've seen the manager leave the starter in too long when he'd given up a few hits and/or walks and should be pulled before imploding. he was dominating until he gave up the bomb to rendon and walked Soto. 3rd time thru the order, suddenly looking vulnerable, data doesn't favor SPs 3rd time through the order, etc, basically the move was absolutely defensible. I know we all like to 2nd guess, but imo Hinch didn't **** it up, it just wasn't in the cards last night...some might say that's baseball.

Liverpooldawg
10-31-2019, 09:33 PM
As a NE Mississippian it was good to see Brian Dozier get a ring. As a Braves fan it was horrible to see the Nats win it. As a recently reconverted baseball fan it was absolutely outstanding to see the Nats win it as soon as Bryce Harper left. That guy represents everything wrong with baseball.

Tbonewannabe
10-31-2019, 09:43 PM
As a NE Mississippian it was good to see Brian Dozier get a ring. As a Braves fan it was horrible to see the Nats win it. As a recently reconverted baseball fan it was absolutely outstanding to see the Nats win it as soon as Bryce Harper left. That guy represents everything wrong with baseball.

Someone I saw said "congratulations Montreal Expos". Perfectly summed it up. Someone linked a Harper interview right after signing with the Phillies, he said he was going to bring a world series championship to DC but then corrected himself. Little did he know that he was right. LOL

msstate7
10-31-2019, 09:49 PM

Meh, I used to really hate Harper, but not as much now. I hate Soto, trea turner, and Rhys Hoskins much more than Harper

Commercecomet24
10-31-2019, 10:01 PM
Harris gave up 1 run in game 6. It was the only run he'd given up all postseason. Cole gave up runs in all his starts in the postseason too, wasn't like he had a scoreless streak going. Bring in cole and he get knocked around and everyone says "how did you bring in a starter in with runners on base?!?!?" I could've seen going to cole after that inning to keep the nats from getting insurance runs, but ultimately, Astros didn't score anyway.

As for grienke, can easily say you've seen the manager leave the starter in too long when he'd given up a few hits and/or walks and should be pulled before imploding. he was dominating until he gave up the bomb to rendon and walked Soto. 3rd time thru the order, suddenly looking vulnerable, data doesn't favor SPs 3rd time through the order, etc, basically the move was absolutely defensible. I know we all like to 2nd guess, but imo Hinch didn't **** it up, it just wasn't in the cards last night...some might say that's baseball.

Well we're just gonna have to disagree then. Sure it's defensible because that's what the data says and that's what managers do now so they dont have to answer why. Easiest thing in the world is to take the starter out so you don't have to answer those questions if it doesn't work.but with the way Greinke was pitching you let him go.I coached for a lot of years and when a pitchers rolling you let him roll. We don't have to agree but that's what I would've done. That's why baseball is such a great game, there are many different philosophies and they all can work.

dawgs
11-01-2019, 03:17 AM
Easiest thing in the world is to take the starter out so you don't have to answer those questions if it doesn't work.

I don't get this comment cause he is gonna face questions either way if it doesn't work out, such as the numerous articles, message board posts, and tweets about it.

dawgs
11-01-2019, 03:20 AM
That guy represents everything wrong with baseball.

He's kinda douchey if you were looking for a dude to hang out with, but he plays hard and wants to win. I'd say an abusive shithead like osuna or Chapman is what's wrong with baseball, not Harper.

shoeless joe
11-01-2019, 06:34 AM
He's kinda douchey if you were looking for a dude to hang out with, but he plays hard and wants to win. I'd say an abusive shithead like osuna or Chapman is what's wrong with baseball, not Harper.

I don’t know that I’d say he’s what’s wrong with baseball but he at one time was the biggest punk in the game. One thing I cannot stand in baseball is for someone to decide when to hustle and when not too. Just because something isn’t goin your way doesn’t mean it’s ok to loaf, and it’s well documented that Harper has a history of this...just ask papelbon. I don’t like the dudes demeanor and how he carries himself. But he is a good ball player.

To me more of what’s wrong with the game are guys that I actually like...Soto and acuna. They are young and brash, which is fine, but just like in society today they want to do and act however they want without repercussions. I watch a majority of braves games and acuna wants to pout when he gets drilled...but then wants to walk to first on a ball off the wall. Can’t have it both ways. There IS a right way to play this game and as long as there are players and managers within the game that know this then these young guys will be held accountable. Just like Harper was.

dawgs
11-01-2019, 10:15 AM
Yeah, it sucks when you have personality. These young players shouldn't have fun in view of fans. What scum of the earth.

Papelbon is the biggest douche in baseball over the last 20 years outside chipper jones. Him going after Harper for not running out a routine pop up or whatever was dumb. Literally every baseball game I've ever watched has guys half ass fun out routine plays dozens of times, so to pick one guy out to focus your anger over something that's been normalized for the entirety of my nearly 40 years watching baseball is just and old asshole throwing a tantrum because he sees his place in the baseball world coming to an end (which paps' tantrum did cost him a few more years as a mediocre veteran reliever). Younger players see right though the bullshit of "unwritten rules" and "playing the game the right way". Older players think they should be given respect instead of earning respect, and they lash out when they aren't given the respect they haven't earned - see basically the entire braves roster prior to the last couple seasons with acuna, albies, etc.

parabrave
11-01-2019, 11:04 AM
Well one thing the Nats proved this series, Baseball is great pitching and timely hitting. You have to have great starting pitchers who can go deep and a dam good closer. And you have to have guys who can get you a hit when you have guys in scoring position. Case in point Readon was money with RISP and he should have been the MVP. On the other side of the coin Altuve gets up with men on 2nd and 3rd and gets out. That was the series right there.

dawgs
11-01-2019, 01:07 PM
Well one thing the Nats proved this series, Baseball is great pitching and timely hitting. You have to have great starting pitchers who can go deep and a dam good closer. And you have to have guys who can get you a hit when you have guys in scoring position. Case in point Readon was money with RISP and he should have been the MVP. On the other side of the coin Altuve gets up with men on 2nd and 3rd and gets out. That was the series right there.

Meh, every year there seems to be a different build that wins the WS. Some years it's a great bullpen, some years it's great starting pitching, some years it's gorilla ball, some years it's small ball. Main thing is you have to be well above average in at least 2 of those areas to have a chance, then it's about minimizing the negative effects of your weaker areas. Nats his their bullpen by using Corbin in relief and letting their shit reprieve RA East innings once they'd fall behind so they could save Hudson and Doolittle for high leverage situations, and even then, Hudson and Doolittle are good, but not great (Astros have several RPs better than both). But a few years ago, you have the royals who basically used their RPs to eat a majority of the innings cause their starters sucked.

Basically, there's a lot of different recipes to make a cake.

shoeless joe
11-01-2019, 08:38 PM
Yeah, it sucks when you have personality. These young players shouldn't have fun in view of fans. What scum of the earth.

Papelbon is the biggest douche in baseball over the last 20 years outside chipper jones. Him going after Harper for not running out a routine pop up or whatever was dumb. Literally every baseball game I've ever watched has guys half ass fun out routine plays dozens of times, so to pick one guy out to focus your anger over something that's been normalized for the entirety of my nearly 40 years watching baseball is just and old asshole throwing a tantrum because he sees his place in the baseball world coming to an end (which paps' tantrum did cost him a few more years as a mediocre veteran reliever). Younger players see right though the bullshit of "unwritten rules" and "playing the game the right way". Older players think they should be given respect instead of earning respect, and they lash out when they aren't given the respect they haven't earned - see basically the entire braves roster prior to the last couple seasons with acuna, albies, etc.

HUGE difference between having fun and the way these guys play. Acuna 100% hurts his team with his antics...guess that’s ok. And the stuff I witnessed Soto doing was just unnecessary. I actually thought the toting the bat was funny but the hopping and goofy faces and all that just seems like he’s inviting someone to take umbridge and drill him...I guess if he’s ok with it I should be.

But again I go back to it hurting the team. Harper jogging out a double ply ball hurts the team, acuna only getting a single out of a wall shot hurts the team. But hey if they’re having fun that’s all that matters. Geeze