PDA

View Full Version : Head Coach Checklist

Fader21
10-29-2019, 03:19 PM
So everyone throws out names for hot coaches. Really all we need to look at is a checklist. Event though my top candidate I won't doesn't check off all my wants through PJ Fleck, I started thinking of a checklist for what my next coach should be.

Head Coaching Experience
SEC Experience
Offense or Defensive Coordinator Experience
Recruiting Coordinator Experience
Under 55 years of age.

There might be some others I need to think about but this is the main ones I can come up with right now.

Right now I think if we can't get PJ. (which I said doesn't check my boxes)

Billy Napier would be a great fit at MSU

dawgday166
10-29-2019, 03:22 PM
As I posted ... Napier/Shoop combo. I kinda like it.

TheLostDawg
10-29-2019, 03:32 PM
Napier/Grantham

Todd4State
10-29-2019, 03:33 PM
I like Napier’s current DC- Ron Roberts. He mentored Golding before he went to Alabama.

Fader21
10-29-2019, 03:35 PM
I just don't think Shoop will stay if Moorhead leaves. I know Grantham won't return for a DC spot.

Napier would be my choice with Derek Mason. Mason will most definitely be out of a job after this year but I don't see him getting a HC gig that would pay more than what we could for DC also give him AHC title.

TheLostDawg
10-29-2019, 03:36 PM
I really wouldn't be upset having a defensive guy as a head coach and then pay a top OC to come. This could fix some of our woes of the past possibly

TheLostDawg
10-29-2019, 03:38 PM
I agree that I don't think Grantham will be back unless offered HC. We better watch out offering the DC job to someone other than Shoop right out of the gate. If he isn't offered first, he probably won't take it.

ShotgunDawg
I really wouldn't be upset having a defensive guy as a head coach and then pay a top OC to come. This could fix some of our woes of the past possibly

Problem is a top OC would be plucked immediately with any success

I think the problem everyone is facing is that the good offensive coaches have been so thoroughly picked over, the best head coaching candidates are now defensive guys.

You can hire a super young offensive guy with less experience or you can go get a super experienced, stud defensive guy that has awesome attributes as a head coach, but has never been offered that opportunity because he's a defensive coach.

Same things in the NFL draft: do you go draft the 5th best QB at the back of the 1st round or the best RB or LB, which are far less valued?

Fader21
I like Napier’s current DC- Ron Roberts. He mentored Golding before he went to Alabama.

Ron also knows the State of Mississippi having been here for 6 or 7 years.

Jack Lambert
10-29-2019, 03:41 PM
Under 55 years of age.

Saban is 67 he has been at Alabama for 12 years. I wonder would he had gotten through your checklist?

ShotgunDawg
10-29-2019, 03:43 PM
Saban is 67 he has been at Alabama for 12 years. I wonder would he had gotten through your checklist?

Well, I'm sure the checklist can be altered for national title winning and ex NFL head coaches. I think we can all agree that common sense should be used

Fader21
10-29-2019, 03:49 PM

You can assume we could get the likes of a Saban with a National Championship title to come to Miss. State, but I am being realistic.

We are not getting Saban, Urban, Dabo, Fisher, Mack Brown, or Les Miles.

dawgday166
10-29-2019, 03:54 PM
I just don't think Shoop will stay if Moorhead leaves. I know Grantham won't return for a DC spot.

Napier would be my choice with Derek Mason. Mason will most definitely be out of a job after this year but I don't see him getting a HC gig that would pay more than what we could for DC also give him AHC title.

Maybe so but last year when he instituted toughness Tuesday's and was talking about that in presser, I got the feeling he was trying to convince his upper management what this league was like, and it was somewhat difficult. IMO, he almost came out and said Joe had no idea and he caught himself and couched it differently.

Tbonewannabe
10-29-2019, 04:16 PM
I would take Bob Stoops if you could get him from the XFL team. He is 57 years old.

Ari Gold
10-29-2019, 06:00 PM
I know he signed extension thru like 2025 or something
But if we want a youngish coach that’s a proven winner and does it quickly
You give a Matt Rhule a call and see what he says
Offensive minded that actually played LB in college. And my guess he is a hard nose ****er.
I don’t give a shit where he is from..
Dude won 10 games at Temple 2 years in a row, and has a Baylor team that faced all the fallout from Briles at 7-0 in year 3.
And he actually is recruiting pretty well for Baylor... (top 35 first 2 seasons )

HailStateSZN19
10-29-2019, 06:13 PM
But if we want a youngish coach that?s a proven winner and does it quickly
Offensive minded that actually played LB in college. And my guess he is a hard nose ****er.
I don?t give a shit where he is from..
Dude won 10 games at Temple 2 years in a row, and has a Baylor team that faced all the fallout from Briles at 7-0 in year 3.
And he actually is recruiting pretty well for Baylor... (top 35 first 2 seasons )

What are you hearing Ari? Is JoMo gone regardless of what happens over these last 4 games or is he back? Is it going to take him losing to UPig or OM and Cohen/Keenum stepping in and telling him to take a hike? Does he leave on his own accord? How do you see this playing out?

Really Clark?
10-29-2019, 06:16 PM
But if we want a youngish coach that?s a proven winner and does it quickly
I don?t give a shit where he is from..

He also coached on the defensive side as well. Unusual but some really coaches have done that as well. He is a Great coach.

Because it?s private we don?t know the terms of his new deal but it is reported and confirmed by the AD that it is one of the highest buyouts in college football. Somewhere in the Top 5, including Jimbo?s buyout. The concern and it is real, that the NFL will come calling soon. They already looked at him starting last year.

ETA. Forgot to put the possible buyout number, it’s unknown but Top 5 in college football is $30+ MIL

Ari Gold
10-29-2019, 06:31 PM
What are you hearing Ari? Is JoMo gone regardless of what happens over these last 4 games or is he back? Is it going to take him losing to UPig or OM and Cohen/Keenum stepping in and telling him to take a hike? Does he leave on his own accord? How do you see this playing out?

I have heard nothing .. well at least nothing that is concrete.. I’m for sure not like a few (in the know) that says he a 100% back . that’s just ****ing stupid to say that..
I stated in another thread an option JC has and one I think he should take it .

If you are an AD , excluding a few schools , you should have a short list at all times of possible replacements every year. So yeah JC should have his list out and calling around and asking around right now no matter what he decides to do with Joe..

Tbonewannabe
10-29-2019, 07:11 PM
He also coached on the defensive side as well. Unusual but some really coaches have done that as well. He is a Great coach.

Because it?s private we don?t know the terms of his new deal but it is reported and confirmed by the AD that it is one of the highest buyouts in college football. Somewhere in the Top 5, including Jimbo?s buyout. The concern and it is real, that the NFL will come calling soon. They already looked at him starting last year.

ETA. Forgot to put the possible buyout number, it’s unknown but Top 5 in college football is $30+ MIL

Rhule has 8 years on his deal he just signed in September. He is locked up as much as anyone in college football.

Ari Gold
10-29-2019, 07:35 PM
Rhule has 8 years on his deal he just signed in September. He is locked up as much as anyone in college football.

Maybe we should inquire about the Baylor AD... that’s well done

Fader21
10-29-2019, 07:45 PM
Maybe we should inquire about the Baylor AD... that’s well done

Except no matter what MSU can only have 4 year deals

RocketDawg
10-29-2019, 08:35 PM

Give him a shot - he might want to have the challenge of a total rebuild. **

RocketDawg
10-29-2019, 08:38 PM
You can assume we could get the likes of a Saban with a National Championship title to come to Miss. State, but I am being realistic.

We are not getting Saban, Urban, Dabo, Fisher, Mack Brown, or Les Miles.

We might could get Les Miles, and I like the guy. I think he'd do a good job. Plus, we have real grass and Kansas has plastic turf - it's not real tasty and is hard to chew. He said that MSU has the nicest field he's ever played on (that was a quote some years ago when he was telling his team what a juggernaut they'd be facing).

Wouldn't want Dabo at any cost ... I just don't care for the guy. Mack Brown is too old and he'll die at UNC. Don't want Jimbo either. Saban and Meyer are unthinkable.

Cooterpoot
10-29-2019, 08:49 PM
I like Napier?s current DC- Ron Roberts. He mentored Golding before he went to Alabama.

Golding isn?t even a good DC. Ron Roberts is a good guy but not an SEC DC. AL fans were hoping OM would hire away Golding.