PDA

View Full Version : There is another angle we need to pay attention to

BeastMan
10-29-2019, 10:21 AM
And that?s assistant coaches. Last year JoMo brought in his guys are 3 jumped ship immediately. That?s not much of a vote of confidence. Now, there are reports of currents assistants really beating the back channels looking for a landing spot. I had that discussion with someone in media not affiliated with MSU. Then days later Barrett Sallee reports it on the radio. Now I know you?re doing the Sallee eye-roll but he said almost verbatim what I was told in a conversation. That means that, that stuff is floating out there. And you almost have to believe it regarding assistants. These guys have no job security in today?s CFB and would rather find a new home that potentially get axed at their current gig. If Joe?s boys didn?t stick what makes us think we don?t have significant assistant turnover this year? Steve Robertson reported JoMo is 100% coming back and regardless of how you feel about that report, let?s take it as fact for this discussion. If JoMo comes back regardless of how he finishes and loses 3 assistants, who is he going to be able to bring in viewed as a lame duck coach? I think that is the doomsday scenario for MSU football. Limp into the offseason, staff turnover, staff downgrades, and then a brutal front-loaded schedule that looks like a 2-6 start is possible.

If Cohen is dead-set on keeping JoMo he?s got an incredibly difficult needle to thread to keep this thing together. If Joe could not keep his day 1 boys on-board, can we expect Cohen to keep the current staff together for him? Y?all remember Sherrill?s last staff? It was stinky coach cheese.

DownwardDawg
10-29-2019, 10:26 AM
I just don’t see any way joe is back next year. It ain’t happening.

TrapGame
10-29-2019, 10:56 AM
One of the reasons we look so poorly coached is the asst. coaches are looking for other jobs. There's no salvaging this season. Joe may have told his players he's not leaving but these players are watching their position coaches phone it in b/c they have been pounding the pavement looking for another coaching gig.

Homedawg
10-29-2019, 10:57 AM
I think, and have thought that jomo wasn't the guy for over a year. However, losing a coach to be OC for the packers, a guy going to bama, then another to bama and another couple to the nfl didn't throw up any major red flags. As for this year and coaches looking, hell they have eyes, they need to make sure they have a check coming in, can't blame that either.

HailStateSZN19
10-29-2019, 11:02 AM
I think, and have thought that jomo wasn't the guy for over a year. However, losing a coach to be OC for the packers, a guy going to bama, then another to bama and another couple to the nfl didn't throw up any major red flags. As for this year and coaches looking, hell they have eyes, they need to make sure they have a check coming in, can't blame that either.

Which assistants are rumored to be looking for jobs? This is the first time I've really seen it mentioned in a thread several times so I must have just missed it previously. Wouldn't be shocked if it was the whole damn crew of assistants. Nobody wants to be a part of a sinking ship. Gotta get out while you can, cut your losses, and save face to get another job to provide for your family.

Cowbell
10-29-2019, 11:17 AM

This I agree with

Commercecomet24
10-29-2019, 11:19 AM

Yep, no reason to stay on a sinking ship, everyone needs a paycheck. You can tell when a business is about done when all the good employees start leaving or looking to leave.

Tbonewannabe
10-29-2019, 11:26 AM
I hope Joey Jones and the S&C coach are smart enough to look for something else. I would have a hard time bringing those two back if I was head coach.

The only coaches who would be safe if I was making decisions would be Shoop, Buckley (DBs), Johnson (WRs), and maybe Hughes (for recruiting).

Oline - regressed
Dline - regressed with the players here - only chance at a pass due to suspensions, injuries, and youth
LBs - regressed
RBs - regressed
QB - regressed - when your best QB is a true freshman then you aren't coaching up what you got
TEs - who knows because we rarely use them. Pretty much good for one first down a game when we actually throw to them.
WRs - improved other than last week
DBs - improved somewhat - a lot of reps by freshmen here
Safeties - ok I guess.
Special teams - some of the worst in MSU history. I can't remember the last time we had a kickoff past the 25 yard line even if we catch it at the 10. We have missed two fgs to end two different games that we would at least have an onsides kick attempt if not for the miss.
S&C - this horse is a glue pile by now but might be the worst we have looked compared to other teams in MSU history

BeastMan
10-29-2019, 11:27 AM

Baker does get a pass. The other 2 not as much because those were his boys. Every coach has his guys. It would have been like if Mullen lost Hev and Knox after a year. And even if you just can’t deny the opportunity, losing your 2 most trusted guys has a cost to JoMo. Hell I’d think there is a big personal cost at a minimum. So you lose what you lost last year and have to assume more is coming. It’s a bad scenario any way you slice it.

Commercecomet24
10-29-2019, 11:28 AM
I hope Joey Jones and the S&C coach are smart enough to look for something else. I would have a hard time bringing those two back if I was head coach.

The only coaches who would be safe if I was making decisions would be Shoop, Buckley (DBs), Johnson (WRs), and maybe Hughes (for recruiting).

Oline - regressed
Dline - regressed with the players here - only chance at a pass due to suspensions, injuries, and youth
LBs - regressed
RBs - regressed
QB - regressed - when your best QB is a true freshman then you aren't coaching up what you got
TEs - who knows because we rarely use them. Pretty much good for one first down a game when we actually throw to them.
Safeties - ok I guess.
Special teams - some of the worst in MSU history. I can't remember the last time we had a kickoff past the 25 yard line even if we catch it at the 10. We have missed two fgs to end two different games that we would at least have an onsides kick attempt if not for the miss.
S&C - this horse is a glue pile by now but might be the worst we have looked compared to other teams in MSU history

I will add that a part of our S&C problem is with the head coach. The S&C coach has to follow the program of the head coach.

Homedawg
10-29-2019, 11:57 AM
I will add that a part of our S&C problem is with the head coach. The S&C coach has to follow the program of the head coach.

this guy gets it!

Tbonewannabe
10-29-2019, 01:57 PM

I agree but it was just if Joe was coming back. Joe definitely let the S&C become a problem.

Cowbell
10-29-2019, 02:07 PM

Thank you. Another reason Joe should have been shown the door two weeks ago. And extra bowl practices under his leadership will add us no value.

TheLostDawg
10-29-2019, 04:34 PM
If Joe is back, we have to hire Joe Brady as our OC. No two ways about it. That, a S&C coach that will get it done no matter the situation, and a special teams coach (they were more aggressive last week but a little late). Joe Brady makes 500k. Pay that man to come be OC. Joe knows and likes him so it's not like he's bringing someone random in staff. Then promote Brady to HC if he pans out and Moorhead can't get it right. We keep Shoop and weathered the storm. Dawgs back on track to break that ceiling.

Tbonewannabe
10-29-2019, 04:37 PM
If Joe is back, we have to hire Joe Brady as our OC. No two ways about it. That, a S&C coach that will get it done no matter the situation, and a special teams coach (they were more aggressive last week but a little late). Joe Brady makes 500k. Pay that man to come be OC. Joe knows and likes him so it's not like he's bringing someone random in staff. Then promote Brady to HC if he pans out and Moorhead can't get it right. We keep Shoop and weathered the storm. Dawgs back on track to break that ceiling.

This is about the only way that I would want Joe back.

OLJWales
10-29-2019, 06:53 PM
This is about the only way that I would want Joe back.

There are NO scenarios I would want Joe back. He has failed and there is no reason to believe he will succeed in the future. But we MUST shell out money for assistants for our next coach if we don't won't to get better.

Tbonewannabe
10-29-2019, 06:55 PM
There are NO scenarios I would want Joe back. He has failed and there is no reason to believe he will succeed in the future. But we MUST shell out money for assistants for our next coach if we don't won't to get better.

About. I don't think Joe would be successful in any scenario.

dawgday166
10-29-2019, 09:36 PM

Oline - regressed
LBs - regressed
RBs - regressed
Safeties - ok I guess.

I'd agree with most of this but without slo-moing my video I think Dline getting a little better. Not sold on Adams tho. And Johnson/Joe -- the Oline has played way below their abilities since they got here.

Todd4State
10-29-2019, 10:29 PM

And from the point of view of an assistant coach that S&C failure is making them look bad. That has to be absolutely frustrating for them because it makes them look bad too.

How does Shoop feel when he makes a good blitz call but then it doesn’t get home because our guys aren’t trained well enough to get home with the blitz?

How does Marcus Johnson feel when we call a run play and his guys block it up well but just aren’t physical enough to get the play to yield more than two yards?

I could go down the line but I think everyone gets the idea.

Todd4State
10-29-2019, 10:32 PM

First we need to expand our list of candidates at head coach away from the Scott Stricklin way of just going after coordinators. I honestly don’t think our assistants are probably as bad as they look this year in most cases.

CJDAWG85
10-30-2019, 08:58 AM
The S&C coach is a huge part of the problem. Two players have admitted that they didn’t do half of the S&C work in the offseason that they did the year before. Didn’t we lose our S&C coach to Tampa Bay?

OLJWales
10-30-2019, 06:01 PM
The S&C coach is a huge part of the problem. Two players have admitted that they didn’t do half of the S&C work in the offseason that they did the year before. Didn’t we lose our S&C coach to Tampa Bay?

Who are these 2 players and what did they say?

CJDAWG85
10-31-2019, 08:54 AM
Don’t want to put names out there. They said that they weren’t pushed half as hard as the previous year. This would explain why we look so weak.

KB21
10-31-2019, 08:59 AM
Don’t want to put names out there. They said that they weren’t pushed half as hard as the previous year. This would explain why we look so weak.

If I were a betting man, I’d be willing to bet that there is not much difference right now between Mississippi State’s strength and conditioning program and Fordham’s strength and conditioning program. Therein lies the biggest issue. Joe is coaching this team just like he coached at Fordham. At Fordham, you can get away with the lack of discipline and lack of preparation and rely on your offensive system and ability to make changes on the fly. In the SEC, you get your doors blown off with that approach.

MrKotter
10-31-2019, 09:04 AM
Which assistants are rumored to be looking for jobs? This is the first time I've really seen it mentioned in a thread several times so I must have just missed it previously. Wouldn't be shocked if it was the whole damn crew of assistants. Nobody wants to be a part of a sinking ship. Gotta get out while you can, cut your losses, and save face to get another job to provide for your family.
It came from an outlet up north regarding Moorhead and Rutgers 2-3 weeks back and now everybody is running with it as fact.