HC - Grantham
OC Asst HC - Hud

Fit - check
Culture - check
Physicality - check
Spread option - check
Recruiting - check
Loyalty to MSU - check

I think this is the least risky ticket that gets us back on track in about 60 days.

Tbonewannabe
10-29-2019, 09:03 AM
Grantham has never been a head coach before but he is at least experienced. Does he want to be a head coach or is he more like Venerables and is happy just being a DC?

Matt3467
10-29-2019, 09:04 AM
Well it's definitely not a sexy pick for HC, but it could work. I just doubt Grantham stays at MSU if he were to be successful.

ShotgunDawg
10-29-2019, 09:06 AM
Well it's definitely not a sexy pick for HC, but it could work. I just doubt Grantham stays at MSU if he were to be successful.

I'm not sure about that. He fits us. It's a two way street and, with his son signing with our baseball team, Starkville could become home.

Coursesuper
Grantham has never been a head coach before but he is at least experienced. Does he want to be a head coach or is he more like Venerables and is happy just being a DC?

Grantham wanted the job when it went to Joe.

basedog
I can't see Hud coming as an assistant again. Not sure we will pursue him for HC as he was responsible for the Raging Cajuns being put on probation for many violations, I think that ship sailed on him now.

ShotgunDawg
10-29-2019, 09:10 AM
I can't see Hud coming as an assistant again. Not sure we will pursue him for HC as he was responsible for the Raging Cajuns being put on probation for many violations, I think that ship sailed on him now.

He's making 265K at Austin Peay

Give him $750K and let's go. He'd come.

This is the dynamic duo that fits us.

Tbonewannabe
10-29-2019, 09:10 AM

His records also dropped after the probation so you have to wonder can he maintain a program. He took ULL to 9 wins which was unprecedented there but then the program came back down to 5-6 wins for a couple of years before he was let go. Napier took them back to a bowl game along with the title game, finishing 7-7 and they are 5-2 this year with a close loss to us and App St.

Napier has them very competitive and he might be the better choice between Hud and Napier.

Edited to add: I was talking about the choice between Hud and Napier as head coach. Shotgun was talking about OC job which might be a great fit.

ShotgunDawg
10-29-2019, 09:13 AM
His records also dropped after the probation so you have to wonder can he maintain a program. He took ULL to 9 wins which was unprecedented there but then the program came back down to 5-6 wins for a couple of years before he was let go. Napier took them back to a bowl game along with the title game, finishing 7-7 and they are 5-2 this year with a close loss to us and App St.

Napier has them very competitive and he might be the better choice between Hud and Napier.

Edited to add: I was talking about the choice between Hud and Napier as head coach. Shotgun was talking about OC job which might be a great fit.

I don't want Hud as HC. I want him as Grantham's OC.

I'd rather that than just Napier

ShotgunDawg
10-29-2019, 09:13 AM
I want C34'a opinion on Grantham/Hud.

Would this work?

Really Clark?
10-29-2019, 09:14 AM

Yep. Interviewed for the job. That’s why he delayed leaving longer than the other coaches.

ShotgunDawg
10-29-2019, 09:15 AM
You can pick apart this combo every which way but here is a guarantee:

We'd damn sure be playing Mississippi State football under these two

Tbonewannabe
10-29-2019, 09:18 AM
Yep. Interviewed for the job. That’s why he delayed leaving longer than the other coaches.

I wonder how close the decision was? Did Cohen have his mind set on Moorhead and just give a curtesy interview or did he really consider Grantham? I think a lot of us thought we needed a little more explosiveness on offense to compete with the upper tier in the SEC. Oddly enough, Mullen's offense at UF looks closer to what we probably wanted. I think Mullen just gave up getting to MSU the type of WRs you need to make big plays happen. UF just has 4 star WRs commit without a lot of the work of recruiting.

Tbonewannabe
10-29-2019, 09:18 AM
You can pick apart this combo every which way but here is a guarantee:

We'd damn sure be playing Mississippi State football under these two

Both play a very physical brand of football on each side of the ball. I like this suggestion.

ShotgunDawg
10-29-2019, 09:20 AM
Both play a very physical brand of football on each side of the ball. I like this suggestion.

I think it's us. It's the perfect fit

Mobile Bay
10-29-2019, 09:22 AM

Another reason to fire Cohen

KOdawg1
10-29-2019, 09:26 AM
I tried to find reasons for this not to work, but I struggle to find any. I think it would be a very solid hire and a helluva lot better than we have now.

Coursesuper
10-29-2019, 09:34 AM
I wonder how close the decision was? Did Cohen have his mind set on Moorhead and just give a curtesy interview or did he really consider Grantham? I think a lot of us thought we needed a little more explosiveness on offense to compete with the upper tier in the SEC. Oddly enough, Mullen's offense at UF looks closer to what we probably wanted. I think Mullen just gave up getting to MSU the type of WRs you need to make big plays happen. UF just has 4 star WRs commit without a lot of the work of recruiting.

I don't know, but I do know that when they flew to meet Joe, when they got back on the plane after the face to face it was over, he was their guy.

TrapGame
10-29-2019, 09:35 AM

This is called a cascade of failure.

Grantham knew more about Starkville and recruiting than Moorhead. Way more! His resume is better than Moorhead's (Yes, it is. Do not argue.) He also knew the players we had. Let me say that again: HE KNEW THE PLAYERS WE HAD. In other words he would have brought in an OC with a spread style similar to Mullen's.

Let Grantham go and didn't even give Satterfield an interview. Keeping Cohen may be a liability as well.

dawgday166
10-29-2019, 09:35 AM
I'm kinda intrigued by a Napier/Shoop combo. Maybe bring Hud on as Co-OC.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
10-29-2019, 09:36 AM
Tell me why not?

HC - Grantham
OC Asst HC - Hud

Fit - check
Culture - check
Physicality - check
Spread option - check
Recruiting - check
Loyalty to MSU - check

I think this is the least risky ticket that gets us back on track in about 60 days.

NO MORE F****** EXPERIMENTS!!! That's why. We need a head coach.

ShotgunDawg
10-29-2019, 09:39 AM
I'm kinda intrigued by a Napier/Shoop combo. Maybe bring Hud on as Co-OC.

I think that could definitely work.

However, I think Grantham connected with our players better than any coach I've ever seen. I'd want to explore that before all else.

I think Grantham would build a bad ass culture at MSU.

ShotgunDawg
10-29-2019, 09:41 AM
NO MORE F****** EXPERIMENTS!!! That's why. We need a head coach.

Good point. I don't think this is that big of an experiment. Plus all coaching hires are experiments. I don't think our issue with Moorhead is because it was an experiment. It's because he's a bad coach.

dawgday166
10-29-2019, 09:43 AM
I think that could definitely work.

However, I think Grantham connected with our players better than any coach I've ever seen. I'd want to explore that before all else.

I think Grantham would build a bad ass culture at MSU.

I like Grantham, but I like Shoop better. I like Shoop's demeanor too. He's hampered this year by Joe's culture "building", suspensions, a ton of injuries now for sure, etc. All part of that culture building Joe's doing.

We had really good talent last year but I don't think that was #1 D talent. I think Grantham would've had us in Top 10 for sure tho.

ETA: Plus one thing folks don't take into account some too. When the O goes absolutely nowhere repeatedly, the D will most usually say at some point WTF. I thought they might do that last year, but they never did. I attribute that to Simmons, Sweat, and Abram. The upperclassmen leadership was incredible last year.

basedog
10-29-2019, 09:46 AM
I like Grantham, but I like Shoop better. I like Shoop's demeanor too. He's hampered this year by Joe's culture "building", suspensions, a ton of injuries now for sure, etc. All part of that culture building Joe's doing.

We had really good talent last year but I don't think that was #1 D talent. I think Grantham would've had us in Top 10 for sure tho.

Imagine Grantham HC and Shoop assistant HC/DC then.

ShotgunDawg
10-29-2019, 09:46 AM

Hmmm. I like Shoop a lot as well. To me though, Grantham has the ability, presence, and personality to takeover a locker room that Shoop doesn't quite have.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
10-29-2019, 09:47 AM
Good point. I don't think this is that big of an experiment. Plus all coaching hires are experiments. I don't think our issue with Moorhead is because it was an experiment. It's because he's a bad coach.

yes. Life is a gamble. But common sense would tell you that if you were hiring a supervisor for a job the odds are better with one who has supervisor experience over the one who hasn't. That's why they list minimum requirements on a job description. The head coach is not just a plug and play. Some coaches are not made to be a head coach. I would guess one that has been a career assistant would fall in that category.

ShotgunDawg
10-29-2019, 09:49 AM

Wouldn't work. Shoop wouldn't do it and one is 4-3 and the other 3-4

Really Clark?
Like Fickell paired with an OC that is a little better for and consistent. He is winning a lot in the AAC with defense in a league that is very much offense orientated. I really like coaches who are winning a lot in their league in a different way than the rest. They had a good offense last year but it’s dropped back down this year but they are still winning. And he has HC experience.

Like Ruhle at Baylor, finally getting his defense to where he likes it at Baylor, jumped from 114, 91, to 19th this season in an offensive league.

I like Grantham just looking at a possible option who also has HC experience

TrapGame
Hmmm. I like Shoop a lot as well. To me though, Grantham has the ability and personality to takeover a locker room that Shoop doesn't quite have.

Maybe it's just me but Grantham kinda comes off as a Coach O type of head coach: Be the hard ass CEO but let your OC/DC do their jobs.

ShotgunDawg
10-29-2019, 09:50 AM
yes. Life is a gamble. But common sense would tell you that if you were hiring a supervisor for a job the odds are better with one who has supervisor experience over the one who hasn't. That's why they list minimum requirements on a job description. The head coach is not just a plug and play. Some coaches are not made to be a head coach. I would guess one that has been a career assistant would fall in that category.

Sure. Just have to prioritize your requirements

ShotgunDawg
10-29-2019, 09:50 AM
Maybe it's just me but Grantham kinda comes off as a Coach O type of head coach: Be the hard ass CEO but let your OC/DC do their jobs.

What's wrong with a Coach O type?

Grantham is smarter than O and has infinitely more coordinator experience

dawgday166
10-29-2019, 09:51 AM
Hmmm. I like Shoop a lot as well. To me though, Grantham has the ability and personality to takeover a locker room that Shoop doesn't quite have.

Might agree to a point but I love the way Shoop can call a game. IMO you give him a little talent and some in-shape athletes and he'll keep the other offense confused with what he's doing.

dawgday166
10-29-2019, 09:54 AM

I kinda actually thought of that but think Grantham is a hard ass to some degree and might micro manage Shoop. I think it's likely they might clash. Similar to Mullen/Hud.

ShotgunDawg
10-29-2019, 09:54 AM
Like Fickell paired with an OC that is a little better for and consistent. He is winning a lot in the AAC with defense in a league that is very much offense orientated. I really like coaches who are winning a lot in their league in a different way than the rest. They had a good offense last year but it’s dropped back down this year but they are still winning. And he has HC experience.

Like Ruhle at Baylor, finally getting his defense to where he likes it at Baylor, jumped from 114, 91, to 19th this season in an offensive league.

Sure. I think with a guy like Fickell, culture and fit would be in question

TrapGame
10-29-2019, 09:55 AM
What's wrong with a Coach O type?

Grantham is smarter than O and has infinitely more coordinator experience

Nothing! I like it. It wasn't meant to be disparaging.

PMDawg

I like Fickell too. I had him on my list, along with Rhule and a few fliers, and was told my list was bad. I'm intrigued by Eliah Drinkwitz, but I think it's a little too early to hand him the keys to an SEC school. I could see him eventually making a name for himself though. He has moved up extremely quickly.

shoeless joe
No doubt we’d be playing tough and hard nosed physical ball. As we should.

Which makes me think about the fact that Cohen fostered that mentality on the baseball field but didn’t see it lacking in jomo? Just another head scratcher on that hire.

ShotgunDawg
10-29-2019, 09:56 AM
Might agree to a point but I love the way Shoop can call a game. IMO you give him a little talent and some in-shape athletes and he'll keep the other offense confused with what he's doing.

Sure but the calling of the game is about 8th on our list of issues right now.

Ifyouonlyknew
10-29-2019, 09:57 AM
Where is the Grantham/Hud connection? Are we saying we're going to tell Grantham to hire Hud? If we are then the partnership is doomed from the jump. Why would Grantham choose Hud as his OC & not someone he's more familiar or comfortable with?

PMDawg
10-29-2019, 09:58 AM
Where is the Grantham/Hud connection? Are we saying we're going to tell Grantham to hire Hud? If we are then the partnership is doomed from the jump. Why would Grantham choose Hud as his OC & not someone he's more familiar or comfortable with?

Great point. LOL - we are all just acting like we can pick the staff.

dawgday166
10-29-2019, 10:01 AM
Sure but the calling of the game is about 8th on our list of issues right now.

Won't argue that. But when the others get fixed by a HC who brings a good culture and hires the right assistants, the calling of the game part is the icing that can limit a Tua or Burrow offense with upper tier athletes around them. That's the slight separation between Shoop and Grantham. With Grantham, you can see what's coming most times a mile away. Shoop disguises it extremely well.

Really Clark?
10-29-2019, 10:03 AM
Sure. I think with a guy like Fickell, culture and fit would be in question

I agree that fit is extremely important. I don’t get bent out of shape with where a coach is from. It’s about them understanding what the school and program is and embracing that while still being able to coach at a high level. On paper did Rhule fit Baylor? That had to be a question looked at hard. Although at the time, they had to take a lot of other things into question. He was a great hire because he brought integrity and stability to the program. And they embraced that and he embrace them and that opportunity.

ShotgunDawg
10-29-2019, 10:05 AM

Good point. Perhaps you introduce them and just ask Grantham to consider him.

This is also why you interview Grantham. Find out his plan.

Commercecomet24
10-29-2019, 10:06 AM

Yeah it's kinda like when fans say "I don't know why my team doesn't trade for player A, that would fix everything" lol. Of course it's always fun to speculate on message boards cause it creates some unique conversations.

Ifyouonlyknew
10-29-2019, 10:07 AM
Good point. Perhaps you introduce them and just ask Grantham to consider him.

This is also why you interview Grantham. Find out his plan.

I get what you're saying but coaches don't like to be told what to do & it ends up not working. Remember Mullen & Hud butted heads & im sure a large part of that was because Hud wasn't a Mullen guy. He was hired here before Mullen got the job. The hire would have to be organic not a match making deal.

dawgday166
10-29-2019, 10:08 AM

Playing Monopoly *

ShotgunDawg
10-29-2019, 10:08 AM
Yeah it's kinda like when fans say "I don't know why my team doesn't trade for player A, that would fix everything" lol. Of course it's always fun to speculate on message boards cause it creates some unique conversations.

For sure, there are certainly obstacles here but we're putting together a frame work of what would work at MSU

ShotgunDawg
10-29-2019, 10:09 AM
I get what you're saying but coaches don't like to be told what to do & it ends up not working. Remember Mullen & Hud butted heads & im sure a large part of that was because Hud wasn't a Mullen guy. He was hired here before Mullen got the job. The hire would have to be organic not a match making deal.

Great points

Really Clark?
10-29-2019, 10:09 AM

And we don’t know exactly what type of offense he would want to run. He also spent a lot of time in the pros and his contact list of who he would call first is probably a lot deeper than we imagine.

Also, I forgot but he had also interviewed for the Michigan St HC job when Dantonio got the job. So he has put his name out there to be a HC before as well. So it may be something to keep an eye on

Commercecomet24
10-29-2019, 10:10 AM
For sure, there are certainly obstacles here but we're putting together a frame work of what would work at MSU

Yeah and This thread sure beats the million threads a day of how bad we suck. At least this thread is fun to talk about and interesting discussion

RiverCityDawg
10-29-2019, 10:12 AM
I'm intrigued by this fantasy combo, but among other issues, it seems Hud wants to be a head coach. And for some reason I can't see Grantham and Hud's personalities mixing well, but to be fair I would have said the same about Grantham and Mullen.

Back to the main point, I'm not sure Hud as OC would check the loyalty box because I think he would leave as soon as he could to be the head coach at Arkansas State or some other Sunbelt or AAC team if the opportunity cane up.

I like the thought process though, and I would take either as head coach over what we have now.

dawgday166
10-29-2019, 10:12 AM
Yeah and This thread sure beats the million threads a day of how bad we suck. At least this thread is fun to talk about and interesting discussion

So you telling Gun he started a good thread? Now he'll go start 10 more in he next 15 mins *****

Commercecomet24
10-29-2019, 10:13 AM
So you telling Gun he started a good thread? Now he'll go start 10 more in he next 15 mins *****

My bad lol.

Ifyouonlyknew
10-29-2019, 10:14 AM
Great points

I appreciate your thoughts but I think your scenario is just as risky as the hiring of Joe. Outside of both coaches having been at MSU before it's extremely high risk. You're talking about hiring a DC as HC who's never been a HC before. Also a DC who's known to be a bit of a loose cannon & very emotional (Ex: Muschamp). You're also planning to pair him with an OC who he has no previous background with & who in all likelihood thinks he's more qualified for the job than the HC. If we're being honest he is. You see a perfect fit I see a prime position of an explosion waiting to happen. Keep the hypotheticals coming though I enjoy most of them.

ShotgunDawg
10-29-2019, 10:17 AM
I'm intrigued by this fantasy combo, but among other issues, it seems Hud wants to be a head coach. And for some reason I can't see Grantham and Hud's personalities mixing well, but to be fair I would have said the same about Grantham and Mullen.

Back to the main point, I'm not sure Hud as OC would check the loyalty box because I think he would leave as soon as he could to be the head coach at Arkansas State or some other Sunbelt or AAC team if the opportunity cane up.

I like the thought process though, and I would take either as head coach over what we have now.

I would think the potential to upgrade from Austin Peay to Ark St would be plenty incentive for Hud to come.

Really Clark?
10-29-2019, 10:18 AM
My bad lol.

https://media1.tenor.com/images/3ff4b61b7d059cfc49abb81f82ec74ed/tenor.gif?itemid=13697755

ShotgunDawg
10-29-2019, 10:20 AM
I appreciate your thoughts but I think your scenario is just as risky as the hiring of Joe. Outside of both coaches having been at MSU before it's extremely high risk. You're talking about hiring a DC as HC who's never been a HC before. Also a DC who's known to be a bit of a loose cannon & very emotional (Ex: Muschamp). You're also planning to pair him with an OC who he has no previous background with & who in all likelihood thinks he's more qualified for the job than the HC. If we're being honest he is. You see a perfect fit I see a prime position of an explosion waiting to happen. Keep the hypotheticals coming though I enjoy most of them.

Great thoughts.

I needed a Devil's Advocate on this.

I'd interview Grantham though just to see what his plan WOULD be

Commercecomet24
10-29-2019, 10:21 AM
https://media1.tenor.com/images/3ff4b61b7d059cfc49abb81f82ec74ed/tenor.gif?itemid=13697755

Rep Given.

ShotgunDawg
10-29-2019, 10:23 AM

To add. Lsu kinda tried this model with O and Canada and it didn't work. O then hires his trusted buddy Ensminger and walla, it works.

msu15
10-29-2019, 10:25 AM
Wouldn't work. Shoop wouldn't do it and one is 4-3 and the other 3-4

Shoop is 4-2-5

Ifyouonlyknew
10-29-2019, 10:55 AM
To add. Lsu kinda tried this model with O and Canada and it didn't work. O then hires his trusted buddy Ensminger and walla, it works.

Not necessarily walla with Ensminger. The 2018 LSU offense wasn't anything special last year. The walla was Joe Brady not Ensminger. Brady is the engine behind that offense. The offense isn't mind blowing this year with just Ensminger. Credit O for bringing Brady on staff but he hired 2 blah OC's & joe Brady has made people love O again.

Gutter Cobreh
10-29-2019, 11:00 AM
Not necessarily walla with Ensminger. The 2018 LSU offense wasn't anything special last year. The walla was Joe Brady not Ensminger. Brady is the engine behind that offense. The offense isn't mind blowing this year with just Ensminger. Credit O for bringing Brady on staff but he hired 2 blah OC's & joe Brady has made people love O again.

I could seriously get behind a Grantham/Brady coaching combination... Offer Grantham the HC position, then offer Brady the Associate Head Coach/Offensive Coordinator position.

Shrader, running a Brady offense, would be lethal!

gtowndawg
10-29-2019, 11:01 AM
I just don't see Hud coming back (for a 3rd time) as an assistant. I assume he wants to stay where he is and parlay that into a better head coaching job once more. I don't know that, but it's how I would do it.

ShotgunDawg
10-29-2019, 11:03 AM
I could seriously get behind a Grantham/Brady coaching combination... Offer Grantham the HC position, then offer Brady the Associate Head Coach/Offensive Coordinator position.

Interesting....

ShotgunDawg
10-29-2019, 11:04 AM
I just don't see Hud coming back (for a 3rd time) as an assistant. I assume he wants to stay where he is and parlay that into a better head coaching job once more. I don't know that, but it's how I would do it.

Maybe. He only makes 250K and we could triple that plus give him full control of the offense.

TrapGame
10-29-2019, 11:09 AM
Maybe. He only makes 250K and we could triple that plus give him full control of the offense.

Probably, but he'd probably want a guaranteed coach in waiting tag to go with it. But honestly, Hud can't be worse than Joe. He just can't.

Johnson85
10-29-2019, 11:11 AM

I don't think Hud would want to come back as an assistant again, but I think Grantham and Hud would potentially work for the same reason Grantham and Mullen did. Grantham was the first coach Mullen respected enough (was scared enough of?) to treat with respect and let him handle his side of the ball. I am guessing Grantham would not be a control freak and would let the OC handle his side of the ball if it was somebody he respected/trusted, and Hud at least has the resume for that kind of relationship. But I'm just guessing that would be Grantham's approach based on the fact that he is a long tenured DC and would understand the benefit of delegating and not meddling. But if his personality is control freak and/or micromanager, his experience as a DC might not matter.

Commercecomet24
10-29-2019, 11:13 AM

This could be a very interesting combo.

Gutter Cobreh
10-29-2019, 11:13 AM
Interesting....

I know others in the other thread are saying Grantham isn't head coach material, but I disagree. Think about it, you essentially cripple two programs in one swoop. FL is going to suck when Grantham leaves (no doubt in my mind b/c Mullen couldn't keep a DC until he paired with Grantham), and LSU (if IYOK is correct - which I assume he is) goes back to being bland when Brady moves on.

We improve drastically with a coach who will work his ass off here because his kid plays baseball and he wants to stay around to see it, plus enjoys living in the area. We get an up and coming OC who truly has shown he is innovative in his approach and has the results to back it up. Finally, we don't necessarily have to "break the bank" to get either of them. Brady is only pulling down $400k at LSU and Grantham makes $1.4m at UF.

Ifyouonlyknew
10-29-2019, 11:17 AM

I don't see Brady leaving LSU for a college OC job. He's about to be paid like a top OC.

ShotgunDawg
10-29-2019, 11:17 AM
I know others in the other thread are saying Grantham isn't head coach material, but I disagree. Think about it, you essentially cripple two programs in one swoop. FL is going to suck when Grantham leaves (no doubt in my mind b/c Mullen couldn't keep a DC until he paired with Grantham), and LSU (if IYOK is correct - which I assume he is) goes back to being bland when Brady moves on.

We improve drastically with a coach who will work his ass off here because his kid plays baseball and he wants to stay around to see it, plus enjoys living in the area. We get an up and coming OC who truly has shown he is innovative in his approach and has the results to back it up. Finally, we don't necessarily have to "break the bank" to get either of them. Brady is only pulling down $400k at LSU and Grantham makes $1.4m at UF.

No argument with me.

This may be the first time you and I have agreed on anything.

ShotgunDawg
10-29-2019, 11:18 AM
I don't see Brady leaving LSU for a college OC job. He's about to be paid like a top OC.

Maybe. I'd sure as hell force LSU's hand though.

Ifyouonlyknew
10-29-2019, 11:20 AM

Here's the thing, I don't think it's forcing their hand. They see what they have & are going to take care of him without having to be threatened with losing him. He'll likely get the Co-OC title & a raise to at least equal to Ensminger.

ShotgunDawg
10-29-2019, 11:23 AM
Here's the thing, I don't think it's forcing their hand. They see what they have & are going to take care of him without having to be threatened with losing him. He'll likely get the Co-OC title & a raise to at least equal to Ensminger.

Most likely.

Then they'll have a QB issue next year and it'll come crumbling down.

StarkVegasSteve
10-29-2019, 11:25 AM

If we make a run at Brady then our offer needs to make him the highest paid coordinator in football.

ShotgunDawg
10-29-2019, 11:29 AM
If we make a run at Brady then our offer needs to make him the highest paid coordinator in football.

Personally, I'm not convinced Brady is that good.

He's benefiting heavily from having an experienced, accurate QB, top 3 offensive personnel in CFB, and an incompetent scheme preceding him.

He's got Bama/ Ohio State offensive talent and basically doing what they do

dawgday166
10-29-2019, 11:36 AM
Most likely.

Then they'll have a QB issue next year and it'll come crumbling down.

They'll be able to get QBs. Will be developing a new one next year tho.

ShotgunDawg
10-29-2019, 11:38 AM
They'll be able to get QBs. Will be developing a new one next year tho.

They gonna start the grad transfer cycle like OU?

Gutter Cobreh
10-29-2019, 11:40 AM

Why you have to ran on the parade??? Can't for just a couple hours, we dream....

No argument with me.

This may be the first time you and I have agreed on anything.

I think it is!

But, it's also the first time you've posted something worth a shit...***

ShotgunDawg
10-29-2019, 11:41 AM
Why you have to ran on the parade??? Can't for just a couple hours, we dream....

I think it is!

But, it's also the first time you've posted something worth a shit...***

Lol. Gotta start somewhere I guess.

NCDawg
10-29-2019, 11:45 AM

Agree, but probably won't happen. Too many State people apparently like Cohen.

smootness
10-29-2019, 12:03 PM
Grantham is 100% not a head coach. He would end up embarrassing the program. And you're not getting Brady unless it's as HC.

Coursesuper
10-29-2019, 12:06 PM
Agree, but probably won't happen. Too many State people apparently like Cohen.

This might not be as cut and dried as you believe, it's really a matter of which State people that can make a real difference. I'm not saying he's on the way out now by any means, I'm just saying the politics of the situation can be fluid.

PMDawg
10-29-2019, 12:14 PM

I think you will see LSU do whatever it takes to keep Brady on staff after this season. Even if that means letting Ensminger go.

Gutter Cobreh
10-29-2019, 12:26 PM
Grantham is 100% not a head coach. He would end up embarrassing the program. And you're not getting Brady unless it's as HC.

Well, let's see. We have athletes suspended for cheating on an online course that gets us put on probation and we can't even field a team that looks competent on the field. Outside of Freeze level infractions, I don't really see how we could be any more "embarrassed". Also, there wouldn't be a language problem because Coach O doesn't even speak English and he's accepted.

I'm still fatigued by Mullen's insistence on leaving Starkville. Not just when he did, but the numerous years prior to him bolting. I'm honestly simply wanting someone who actually has a reason to live in Starkville, enjoys it and embraces it, and could make us competitive on the field. Grantham checks those boxes.

Todd4State
10-29-2019, 12:30 PM
I have no idea if Hud, Grantham, or Brady would work but I?d like to see MSU try as opposed to bringing in some guru from the North or a guy all hung up on Bear Bryant.

It worked in baseball with Cohen.

ShotgunDawg
10-29-2019, 12:33 PM

Care to expound on this?

You obviously have a very strong opinion but didn't offer any reasons as to why.

From my standpoint, I see a DC that has been uber successful & also developed a love/fear relationship with our players that typically means that they respect him & connect with him.

shoeless joe
10-29-2019, 12:50 PM

Unless two players get in a fight in the stand while wearing wife beaters I don’t know how much more embarrassed the program could be...have you seen us play?

Homedawg
10-29-2019, 01:02 PM

He left here last time making more than 250. It's clearly not about money.

Irondawg
10-29-2019, 01:03 PM
Not to mention DC types are usually just different. If you met Bill Belichick would you think he's the normal HC type.

We just need a guys that is going to set expectations, demand things of assistants who then demand things out of the kids and make them pay a price if they don't give effort toward those expectations.

Then recruit some locker room leaders that fit that mindset.

I honestly can't believe none of the veterans have really stepped up on this team. These guys are used to winning and know what it took to win and even if you want to blame Joe for allowing them to be soft, the players are just as guilty of letting it get soft.

ShotgunDawg
10-29-2019, 01:08 PM

He wasn't making OC money though.

He can't pass up being an SEC OC. That's a clear career upgrade and upwards trajectory.

Pipedream
10-29-2019, 01:27 PM
I can't stand the idea, but I don't hate the brainstorming. Grantham is a hot head/meat head and he'd be a defensive minded HC which I hate for the profile of MSU. We've seen that turnover on the defensive staff won't kill the program, but offensive turnover is unsustainable. He's not analytical and he's not a great recruiter. We had a very good defense under him, but Shoop was superior with them a year later-maybe that was because they were a year older, maybe it was bc he's a better DC. He blitzes too much, but I understand the need for people to want someone "hard nosed" to try and get the toughness back into the football program. The real issue is with the AD and how he is choosing to spend the money that the department has at its disposal and will continue to have (and grow). If you want to get the football program back on track, you're going to have to spend a lot of money. You're going to have drop a big $5M sack of cash on the negotiating table and get some qualified, experienced, real college football HEAD coaches to take the job. They have to be staffed with the best assistants we can afford-all the way down to the nutritionists. In less than 3 years, every SEC school is going to have at least another $20M in revenue added because of the new primetime game contract so go ahead and pre-budget that in and go get some real qualified candidates, not some people who might can learn how to run a program, but some people who actually have a resume that says they can and that have done so.

Johnson85
10-29-2019, 01:31 PM
He wasn't making OC money though.

He can't pass up being an SEC OC. That's a clear career upgrade and upwards trajectory.

Lots of people just have trouble going back to being a report after being in charge. Hudspeth probably made between $5M and $6M over his time at ULL depending on whether he had to forfeit any of his 2017 pay (and that's assuming he got zero buyout b/c of the sanctions). He made a good salary as an MSU assistant before and after that. I'm sure another half million a year isn't meaningless to him, but I doubt it's the most important thing to him at this point. He's still young, so he may want another shot at being a head coach at a D1 program, so that might entice him, but he may just prefer stability at this point rather than moving every couple of years chasing after a head coaching job that statistically probably won't last 5 years even if he does get it.

Cowbell
10-29-2019, 02:01 PM

This is a red flag or should have been concerning Joe - can someone get him on the line so we can here his story....

Cowbell
10-29-2019, 02:04 PM
I can't stand the idea, but I don't hate the brainstorming. Grantham is a hot head/meat head and he'd be a defensive minded HC which I hate for the profile of MSU. We've seen that turnover on the defensive staff won't kill the program, but offensive turnover is unsustainable. He's not analytical and he's not a great recruiter. We had a very good defense under him, but Shoop was superior with them a year later-maybe that was because they were a year older, maybe it was bc he's a better DC. He blitzes too much, but I understand the need for people to want someone "hard nosed" to try and get the toughness back into the football program. The real issue is with the AD and how he is choosing to spend the money that the department has at its disposal and will continue to have (and grow). If you want to get the football program back on track, you're going to have to spend a lot of money. You're going to have drop a big $5M sack of cash on the negotiating table and get some qualified, experienced, real college football HEAD coaches to take the job. They have to be staffed with the best assistants we can afford-all the way down to the nutritionists. In less than 3 years, every SEC school is going to have at least another $20M in revenue added because of the new primetime game contract so go ahead and pre-budget that in and go get some real qualified candidates, not some people who might can learn how to run a program, but some people who actually have a resume that says they can and that have done so.

Finally someone who sees the business side of this. You cant make money without spending it.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
10-29-2019, 02:25 PM
Great thoughts.

I needed a Devil's Advocate on this.

I'd interview Grantham though just to see what his plan WOULD be

Are you on your happy pills today? You are being extra nice today.

smootness
10-29-2019, 03:00 PM
Care to expound on this?

You obviously have a very strong opinion but didn't offer any reasons as to why.

From my standpoint, I see a DC that has been uber successful & also developed a love/fear relationship with our players that typically means that they respect him & connect with him.

He is the kind of person who is unable to keep his emotions in check, and I think that is a serious issue when it comes to any leadership position, including a head coach. It's possible he's gotten better there, but that's a lot of what made Orgeron so terrible at Ole Miss.

I just don't think he would be a good head coach, at all.

smootness
10-29-2019, 03:02 PM
Well, let's see. We have athletes suspended for cheating on an online course that gets us put on probation and we can't even field a team that looks competent on the field. Outside of Freeze level infractions, I don't really see how we could be any more "embarrassed". Also, there wouldn't be a language problem because Coach O doesn't even speak English and he's accepted.

I'm still fatigued by Mullen's insistence on leaving Starkville. Not just when he did, but the numerous years prior to him bolting. I'm honestly simply wanting someone who actually has a reason to live in Starkville, enjoys it and embraces it, and could make us competitive on the field. Grantham checks those boxes.

I think Moorhead is terrible, and I've said as much since the middle of last year. So would Grantham be better than Moorhead? Yeah, it's certainly possible. Is that good enough? Not even close.

And I genuinely don't know if Grantham actually checks those boxes. How do we know he wants to live in Starkville, and how do we know he could make us competitive on the field as HC?

dawgday166
10-29-2019, 03:02 PM
He is the kind of person who is unable to keep his emotions in check, and I think that is a serious issue when it comes to any leadership position, including a head coach. It's possible he's gotten better there, but that's a lot of what made Orgeron so terrible at Ole Miss.

I'd be concerned with getting Ogre 1.0 version ... not the 2.0 version.

dawgday166
10-29-2019, 04:07 PM

Not sure I totally agree with the emotions in check part. Saban blows a gasket all the time. Meyer did at times too.

smootness
10-29-2019, 04:16 PM
Not sure I totally agree with the emotions in check part. Saban blows a gasket all the time. Meyer did at times too.

Not the way Grantham does. They're not out there making choking gestures at opposing players and almost coming to blows with opposing coaches.

dawgday166
10-29-2019, 04:19 PM
Not the way Grantham does. They're not out there making choking gestures at opposing players and almost coming to blows with opposing coaches.

Point taken.

Gutter Cobreh
10-29-2019, 04:45 PM

Are talking about a coach for football or badminton???

How many shots has Moorhead taken because he isn't animated?

FWIW, I don't disagree with your premise but I suspect his behavior and mentality as a DC may not be representative of how he'd act once he's the man in charge.

ShotgunDawg
11-24-2019, 03:30 PM
Bump