PDA

View Full Version : John Cohen

CadaverDawg
10-29-2019, 07:55 AM
So I have been perusing the boards the last few days, and I've never seen it this bad where our fan base is so fed up with a coach that it just totally dominates the boards. I'd bet 95% of the threads on the State boards are about the coach/coaching hires/etc.

I also have heard multiple times in the past that John Cohen keeps a pulse on the fan base by checking the boards and social media to see what the chatter is. (probably someone in his office, not himself).

So with that said, how can you open social media or message boards today and not know what must be done? He is staring down the barrel of the worst season ticket sales since Croom if we keep Joe.

All of that being said, the more I think about it, the more I feel like he will make a change regardless this year. He's not an idiot. He knows the wrong move here puts the spotlight on Him. So when you take your "furious at Joe" glasses off and really look at this situation from a step back point of view....can you really see John doing anything but firing or forcing Joe out after the season? I just feel like I have to have faith in him doing the obvious right thing at this point.

And I know I'm adding to the 95%, ha. I'm just wanting us to take our MSU fan hats off for a second and think about this from a higher elevation, bc we/I tend to let my rage at Joe ruining our program cloud my judgement and lead me/us to post as if MSU is the only thing the sports world sees, when it's not.

Liverpooldawg
10-29-2019, 08:09 AM
So social media should dictate what we do? Really? Why not let the season play out and then see what happens? I don't like where we are either but firing a coach after two years is a very serious step. There are a lot more factors involved than what anonymous people post on social media.

BrunswickDawg
10-29-2019, 08:13 AM
I really hope he sees it. One vibe I do get from Cohen is that he genuinely loves MSU and wants us to succeed at all levels.
My fear is that he looks at this more from the perspective of his own entry into the MSU coaching ranks and decides "I was given a chance to fix it, Joe needs it too" without realizing that the two situations are nowhere near the same.

TrapGame
10-29-2019, 08:13 AM
So social media should dictate what we do? Really? Why not let the season play out and then see what happens? I don't like where we are either but firing a coach after two years is a very serious step. There are a lot more factors involved than what anonymous people post on social media.

Two years removed from Mullen and we are back to 2005. That's pretty damn serious.

Coursesuper
10-29-2019, 08:16 AM

I'm going to lay this out as plainly as I can, if the pressure from certain boosters is strong enough then the AD will be directed to make a move before his ass is on the line. Its that simple.

CadaverDawg
10-29-2019, 08:34 AM

I'm so sick of you ****ing up threads by misquoting people. Nowhere did I say social media should dictate it. I said it helps get a pulse of the fan base as he makes his own decisions. Start making your own opinion without putting words in people's mouths, shithead.

wild_dawg
10-29-2019, 08:35 AM
For me, the problem isn't necessarily the loses themselves, its how we are losing. Teams have down years, it happens. But this year combined with the waste of talent last year, there is no indication that this is heading in the right direction. Lets say we go 5-7 this year, theres a huge difference between 5-7 this year and 5-7 Dan's first year. You could see Dan moving the needle in the right direction, but with Moorhead you can see him moving it in the wrong direction.

CadaverDawg
10-29-2019, 08:36 AM
I really hope he sees it. One vibe I do get from Cohen is that he genuinely loves MSU and wants us to succeed at all levels.
My fear is that he looks at this more from the perspective of his own entry into the MSU coaching ranks and decides "I was given a chance to fix it, Joe needs it too" without realizing that the two situations are nowhere near the same.

Excellent point. I hadn't thought about it in terms as him as a head coach. This is the type of post/comment I was looking for. Thanks for contributing to the discussion, Brunswick

CadaverDawg
10-29-2019, 08:37 AM
For me, the problem isn't necessarily the loses themselves, its how we are losing. Teams have down years, it happens. But this year combined with the waste of talent last year, there is no indication that this is heading in the right direction. Lets say we go 5-7 this year, theres a huge difference between 5-7 this year and 5-7 Dan's first year. You could see Dan moving the needle in the right direction, but with Moorhead you can see him moving it in the wrong direction.

Totally agree. To hell with the record, Joe's program is miserably failing the "eye" test.

State82
10-29-2019, 08:52 AM
Excellent point. I hadn't thought about it in terms as him as a head coach. This is the type of post/comment I was looking for. Thanks for contributing to the discussion, Brunswick

That is a good point by Brunswick and one I really had not considered but that could very well be the case.

Coursesuper
10-29-2019, 08:56 AM
Cadaver, to your point, I know that they are feeling the pressure, if its from gauging the pulse of the alumni and fan base through social media or from direct conversations with high end boosters or other factors they are feeling it. I feel certain that Cohen will not be the person to make the final decision on this matter he has been directed how to handle this situation. I for one am also hopeful that there is also more direction from above on the next hire.

Choctaw Dawg
10-29-2019, 08:56 AM
Man I just don't know, after the way Cohen dug his heels in talking to Finebaum a few weeks ago just reaffirmed how stubborn the guy is and how hotheaded he is. I couldn't tell if his angst in that interview was because he really is set on keeping Moorhead or he's stressed out with trying to make a decision. I really hope its not the former.

Then again, there is a reason that we've seen Moorhead act the way he's acted in press conferences after the Tennessee and LSU games. I want to believe a lot of pressure is coming from Cohen, but I'm not positive.

BrunswickDawg
10-29-2019, 09:21 AM
Man I just don't know, after the way Cohen dug his heels in talking to Finebaum a few weeks ago just reaffirmed how stubborn the guy is and how hotheaded he is. I couldn't tell if his angst in that interview was because he really is set on keeping Moorhead or he's stressed out with trying to make a decision. I really hope its not the former.

Then again, there is a reason that we've seen Moorhead act the way he's acted in press conferences after the Tennessee and LSU games. I want to believe a lot of pressure is coming from Cohen, but I'm not positive.

I'm pretty sure Finebaum ambushed Cohen with that. That's Paul's MO.

Barkman Turner Overdrive
10-29-2019, 09:24 AM
I'm so sick of you ****ing up threads by misquoting people. Nowhere did I say social media should dictate it. I said it helps get a pulse of the fan base as he makes his own decisions. Start making your own opinion without putting words in people's mouths, shithead.
Ouch! That will leave a mark.

Coursesuper
10-29-2019, 09:29 AM
I'm pretty sure Finebaum ambushed Cohen with that. That's Paul's MO.

We had to know something like that was coming from him, to not be prepared for questions along those lines can't happen. It was a bad look.

shoeless joe
10-29-2019, 09:33 AM
There are still some that are in the know per say, that are saying it takes time to learn how to win here. I vehemently disagree with them but based on the people I’m hearing it from it causes concern that Cohen May think the same.

But as I’ve been saying for numerous weeks, the football program has become an embarrassment to the university, not just on the scoreboard, and that will only be allowed to last for so long before the rite people step in and force a move.

Cowbell
10-29-2019, 09:52 AM
We are at the point now, though, that this is making Cohen look like a failure and so I believe that pressure would have to cause John to make some changes, no matter what he personally believes.

Cooterpoot
10-29-2019, 10:08 AM
Look, barring something unexpected, Moorhead is done here. Lose this week, and ugly doesn’t even begin to describe it. What pisses me off is we’re burning redshirts now. Jo screwed this up so bad.

Ifyouonlyknew
10-29-2019, 10:17 AM
Look, barring something unexpected, Moorhead is done here. Lose this week, and ugly doesn’t even begin to describe it. What pisses me off is we’re burning redshirts now. Jo screwed this up so bad.

What RS are we burning unnecessarily outside of maybe Sharp?

RiverCityDawg
10-29-2019, 10:20 AM

I would take the way he acted with a grain of salt. The AD can't seem hesitant or on the fence about supporting the coach to the media until the day he hands him his pink slip. No matter how he really feels, publicly he has to support the coach. As John showed, it's hard to do when you don't really believe it yourself.

Coursesuper
10-29-2019, 10:23 AM

I saw Cross in the game Sat, not sure how many he's played in.

Liverpooldawg
10-29-2019, 10:27 AM

You did say that Cohen checks them and that what the boards want is plain and show what must be done. Don't bring it up if you don't want someone questioning it. There are other opinions besides yours.

Liverpooldawg
10-29-2019, 10:27 AM
Two years removed from Mullen and we are back to 2005. That's pretty damn serious.

We aren't there, yet. We will see over the next month.

HailStateSZN19
10-29-2019, 10:30 AM

What's your thoughts on burning Duncan's RS this year for ST? Could we not have put someone else in there that could have done the job to save his RS? Whop's RS being burned last year was criminal, despite him now moving on elsewhere. JP Purvis has played in his 4 I think which using him on ST might be warranted but could he not have RS?

Ifyouonlyknew
10-29-2019, 10:45 AM
I saw Cross in the game Sat, not sure how many he's played in.

He's played in 3 still has 1 more game left.

Ifyouonlyknew
10-29-2019, 10:46 AM
What's your thoughts on burning Duncan's RS this year for ST? Could we not have put someone else in there that could have done the job to save his RS? Whop's RS being burned last year was criminal, despite him now moving on elsewhere. JP Purvis has played in his 4 I think which using him on ST might be warranted but could he not have RS?

Duncan is the only kid I have a problem with. JP has played in his 4 games don't expect him to play anymore this season.

Coursesuper
10-29-2019, 10:47 AM
He's played in 3 still has 1 more game left.

10 4

PMDawg
10-29-2019, 10:49 AM

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to CadaverDawg again.

TrapGame
10-29-2019, 10:52 AM
We aren't there, yet. We will see over the next month.

No. We are. First 4 game loss since 2005. We are there. Just saying Arkansas is a "must win" after they have been complete shit for nearly two years says it all.

Liverpooldawg
10-29-2019, 11:03 AM
No. We are. First 4 game loss since 2005. We are there. Just saying Arkansas is a "must win" after they have been complete shit for nearly two years says it all.

Maybe so, but why not wait and confirm that before giving up? It's what will happen anyway.

Cowbell
10-29-2019, 11:10 AM
Maybe so, but why not wait and confirm that before giving up? It's what will happen anyway.

Because we are there. No reason to wait. The bad thing is we have better talent now. So technically maybe worse

defiantdog
10-29-2019, 11:18 AM
A lot of factors here..... ticket sales have dropped at the lowest cost percentage since 2006, majority of the students have lost interest in football, players are being questioned in which causes turmoil in the locker room, and the coach begins to feel the heat and starts reaching (Oklahoma drill during warm ups at an away game).

Boosters will always give money because they are going to support their school. But the majority are extremely frustrated with JoMo.

If we lose Saturday, there will be pressure all the way up. Cohen knows he screwed up, but also thought Jo was a good fit. Hell, the majority of us did (with some reservations).

Maverick
10-29-2019, 11:27 AM
I'm not sure why everybody questions Cohen's decisions. The guy did the right thing in not letting his friendship and the season get in the way of hiring a new baseball coach. I believe that there shows guts and the fact that he is trying to do what is best for MSU. If he keeps Joe you have to believe there are things going on that are known behind closed doors that we don't. I'm not saying I'm happy at all with the product that's been on the field this year because it certainly doesn't pass the "eye test" but I do understand we have a complete and total shit storm going on. Injuries, freshman playing, guys suspended, I mean literally just about everything that had to happen to make this year be this ugly has happened. That's not said to make an excuse but right now it just is what it is, it's nuts.

I suspect Joe will get another year and maybe just maybe we will see some type of overhaul with some assistant coaches to right the ship. Other than that everybody should just stop with the new coach talk because it's pointless and a waste of energy. You all know he's probably not getting fired and the only possibility is if he goes 4-8 but he's going to have his shot to go 6-6 and finish the year both of which are possible outcomes. Then and only then will any decision be put on the table and looked at in any fashion.

We can't call for the guys head in the middle of the year but we can certainly voice our disapproval of the product he's put on the field especially what appears to be a lack of discipline. To me that is the main concern and if Cohen pulls the plug because he simply cannot field a disciplined team win or lose then so be it. Again, this is not an excuse but I would assume some of the discipline issues are from freshman having to play. Now does Cohen think he can straighten that out, I don't know but that is for him to decide. Whichever way it goes I assume he makes the choice based on what he knows on the inside plus what he sees on the outside.

I'm definitely not saying I think anything close to this will happen but one of Mullen's best years was followed by one of his worst years at a time many fans were calling for his head. Yes the situation is different but we just need to take a deep breath and let the season play out and then come back and take a look at it. I think Cohen has proved he does not make emotional decisions and that is the right way to approach this. I'm sure it's a tough choice because firing a coach at MSU after 2 years probably isn't the best choice but keeping a coach that will continue a downhill slide also isn't the best choice. Only they can see what all is going on inside and out and it takes all that information to make a informative decision.

Liverpooldawg
10-29-2019, 12:25 PM
I'm not sure why everybody questions Cohen's decisions. The guy did the right thing in not letting his friendship and the season get in the way of hiring a new baseball coach. I believe that there shows guts and the fact that he is trying to do what is best for MSU. If he keeps Joe you have to believe there are things going on that are known behind closed doors that we don't. I'm not saying I'm happy at all with the product that's been on the field this year because it certainly doesn't pass the "eye test" but I do understand we have a complete and total shit storm going on. Injuries, freshman playing, guys suspended, I mean literally just about everything that had to happen to make this year be this ugly has happened. That's not said to make an excuse but right now it just is what it is, it's nuts.

I suspect Joe will get another year and maybe just maybe we will see some type of overhaul with some assistant coaches to right the ship. Other than that everybody should just stop with the new coach talk because it's pointless and a waste of energy. You all know he's probably not getting fired and the only possibility is if he goes 4-8 but he's going to have his shot to go 6-6 and finish the year both of which are possible outcomes. Then and only then will any decision be put on the table and looked at in any fashion.

We can't call for the guys head in the middle of the year but we can certainly voice our disapproval of the product he's put on the field especially what appears to be a lack of discipline. To me that is the main concern and if Cohen pulls the plug because he simply cannot field a disciplined team win or lose then so be it. Again, this is not an excuse but I would assume some of the discipline issues are from freshman having to play. Now does Cohen think he can straighten that out, I don't know but that is for him to decide. Whichever way it goes I assume he makes the choice based on what he knows on the inside plus what he sees on the outside.

I'm definitely not saying I think anything close to this will happen but one of Mullen's best years was followed by one of his worst years at a time many fans were calling for his head. Yes the situation is different but we just need to take a deep breath and let the season play out and then come back and take a look at it. I think Cohen has proved he does not make emotional decisions and that is the right way to approach this. I'm sure it's a tough choice because firing a coach at MSU after 2 years probably isn't the best choice but keeping a coach that will continue a downhill slide also isn't the best choice. Only they can see what all is going on inside and out and it takes all that information to make a informative decision.

Outstanding post. And pretty much spot on. There are other factors other than just wins and loses at play DURING a SECOND season. Getting emotional and doing something rash, even if it's the popular thing to do, should not be done. Let the next month play out and then take a look.

Todd4State
10-29-2019, 12:46 PM
Here’s the difference between Joe and Cohen as far as their first two years as a coach.

1. The recruiting cycle is different for baseball.

2. Cohen was proven as a head coach and had a pattern of starting out slow before winning big.

3. A lot of people I talked to that didn’t like Cohen as a baseball coach would follow it up with. “He’s going to win a National Title here”. No one is going to say that about Joe.

shoeless joe
10-29-2019, 12:53 PM

What the hell else needs confirming?!??

Liverpooldawg
10-29-2019, 01:01 PM

The outcome of the last 4 games.

TALL DAWG
10-29-2019, 10:17 PM

I?ll confirm this: If Sloppy Slow Mo Jo loses to Hogs and Rebs, I?ll give him a 0.5% chance of being MSU?s coach in 2020. Hogs are freaking AWFUL!

maroonmania
10-29-2019, 10:51 PM
The outcome of the last 4 games.

I personally believe the outcome of the OM game will have much more of a bearing on Joe's future here than anything that happens this weekend. At 5-7 but with a win over OM he will be back. That's just the way the MSU fanbase works. Beating OM covers a multitude of sins at MSU, always has and always will. 4-8 or 5-7 with a loss to OM in Starkville, especially if its lopsided, and I would be willing to bet that a change is made.

Sienfield
10-30-2019, 08:12 AM
I'm worried that Cohen will not only keep Moorhead another year but also extend his contract. There was no reason to extend it last year.

Liverpooldawg
10-30-2019, 08:17 AM
I'm worried that Cohen will not only keep Moorhead another year but also extend his contract. There was no reason to extend it last year.

8-4 at MSU gets you an extension. When it doesn't we have officially lost it. I suggest you go back and look at exactly how many 8 win seasons we have had. Don't give the business that we have to set our sights higher either. You set your sights higher with your feet firmly on the ground. You don't set them higher while taking a flying leap. That always leads to a fall.

CadaverDawg
10-30-2019, 09:10 AM
8-4 at MSU gets you an extension. When it doesn't we have officially lost it. I suggest you go back and look at exactly how many 8 win seasons we have had. Don't give the business that we have to set our sights higher either. You set your sights higher with your feet firmly on the ground. You don't set them higher while taking a flying leap. That always leads to a fall.

Your mindset holds us back. You can't base everything on record. Use your eyes. Moorhead failed last year. Period. He took 11 win talent and won 8 games out of 13. Failed. I understand not firing him despite his failure...but in no way shape or form should he have been extended for not meeting expectations. The fact that you think he deserved an extension bc "we're MSU", is the definition of poor ole state, and is why you are viewed as one of the worst posters in this board's history. It shows your lack of being able to make a decision based on the quality of football you watch. You base decisions on a piece of paper with a number on it....schedule be damned, the way we looked be damned, the quality of coaching be damned. We could have stuck Stingray on the sideline and won 8 games last year, and your dumb ass would extend him bc "it's what we do"....do you realize how stupid that sounds and how silly it makes you look?

Maroonthirteen
10-30-2019, 09:42 AM

Outstanding post and spot on.

Let?s see if we get to six wins. Then we can discuss all of December if we don?t.

shannondawg
10-30-2019, 09:55 AM
Maverick is spot on. No one but an idiot would condone Cohen for blasting Mo in the middle of the season.

I don't remember too many complaints when he hired Mo. It doesn't appear to be working out, but only time will tell that, but I doubt we will never know.

gravedigger
10-30-2019, 10:41 AM
So with that said, how can you open social media or message boards today and not know what must be done? He is staring down the barrel of the worst season ticket sales since Croom if we keep Joe.

....can you really see John doing anything but firing or forcing Joe out after the season? I just feel like I have to have faith in him doing the obvious right thing at this point.

Here are my issues with your thoughts:

1. You assume that by reading message boards that would lead someone to KNOW what needs to be done. They wouldnt. Reading message boards doesnt create that. It certainly gives a pulse of the fanbase and their pleasure or displeasure, but it doesnt end with a conclusion for the whole fanbase or what is best for the athletics department.

2. Yes, I can see John giving Joe some pretty strict standards to meet by next fall as the head coach. I can also see Joe opting out if he doesnt agree with them. But I certainly see John honestly keeping Joe if he stays on track to the standards that Cohen sets.

Percho
10-30-2019, 12:04 PM
Cadaver, to your point, I know that they are feeling the pressure, if its from gauging the pulse of the alumni and fan base through social media or from direct conversations with high end boosters or other factors they are feeling it. I feel certain that Cohen will not be the person to make the final decision on this matter he has been directed how to handle this situation. I for one am also hopeful that there is also more direction from above on the next hire.

Who all is, above? Honest question.

Edit to add. I agree that the AD and whoever is the, above, need to be the ones making the decisions.

Percho
10-30-2019, 12:38 PM

Maybe the best post, e v e r!

Thanks

There are a lot of factors in team sports, that disrupt, team. That is the reason coaches like Saben are irritated by sport reporters that ask stupid questions relative to how an upcoming season will turn out.

Liverpooldawg
10-30-2019, 01:05 PM
Your mindset holds us back. You can't base everything on record. Use your eyes. Moorhead failed last year. Period. He took 11 win talent and won 8 games out of 13. Failed. I understand not firing him despite his failure...but in no way shape or form should he have been extended for not meeting expectations. The fact that you think he deserved an extension bc "we're MSU", is the definition of poor ole state, and is why you are viewed as one of the worst posters in this board's history. It shows your lack of being able to make a decision based on the quality of football you watch. You base decisions on a piece of paper with a number on it....schedule be damned, the way we looked be damned, the quality of coaching be damned. We could have stuck Stingray on the sideline and won 8 games last year, and your dumb ass would extend him bc "it's what we do"....do you realize how stupid that sounds and how silly it makes you look?

Your mindset is what kept us in the cellar for decades. It is the same old MSU crap. Always looking for a scapegoat and a magic genie, and doing so emotionally. It's what we do, always have done, and always will do.

Also, rationally there was no way last year was an 11 win team. It was an 8 win team. I said so before the season. We had a great defense but an offense with a ton of questions about it. Y'all went after me hard. This year I said I had no real feel but I thought 7-5 with 6-6 more likely than 8-4. We obviously will not make 7-5. IF we win this weekend 6-6 is still in play. Is that what I want? Would it be a dismissible record? No. let it play out and then evaluate it. If we lose out? I won't argue, but I won't go ballistic if it doesn't happen either. There are other factors in play besides record when you are talking about sacking a coach after two years when you aren't a rich blue blood. There are even with them.

By the way, Thanks for the compliment about my status here. That IS how I take that, coming from some here.

DeputyDawg94
10-30-2019, 03:29 PM
Your mindset is what kept us in the cellar for decades. It is the same old MSU crap. Always looking for a scapegoat and a magic genie, and doing so emotionally. It's what we do, always have done, and always will do.

Also, rationally there was no way last year was an 11 win team. It was an 8 win team. I said so before the season. We had a great defense but an offense with a ton of questions about it. Y'all went after me hard. This year I said I had no real feel but I thought 7-5 with 6-6 more likely than 8-4. We obviously will not make 7-5. IF we win this weekend 6-6 is still in play. Is that what I want? Would it be a dismissible record? No. let it play out and then evaluate it. If we lose out? I won't argue, but I won't go ballistic if it doesn't happen either. There are other factors in play besides record when you are talking about sacking a coach after two years when you aren't a rich blue blood. There are even with them.

By the way, Thanks for the compliment about my status here. That IS how I take that, coming from some here.
Got to disagree with you on last year. There is no way to prove it but if Joe runs the Auburn/aTm O we probably beat UK, FL and Iowa at a minimum. I do agree that he shouldn’t be let go during the season but he should not be back next season either. We held on to Rick Ray longer than we should have and look how long it took a top coach to dig out of that hole.

Liverpooldawg
10-30-2019, 03:36 PM
Got to disagree with you on last year. There is no way to prove it but if Joe runs the Auburn/aTm O we probably beat UK, FL and Iowa at a minimum. I do agree that he shouldn’t be let go during the season but he should not be back next season either. We held on to Rick Ray longer than we should have and look how long it took a top coach to dig out of that hole.

We got Ray because of how we handled getting rid of Stans. We needed to wait one more year.

shannondawg
10-30-2019, 05:44 PM
We got Ray because of how we handled getting rid of Stans. We needed to wait one more year.

I'm a fan, have to spread reputation around before I can give it to you again. But I can say attaboy here!

timotheus
10-30-2019, 07:42 PM
Maybe the best post, e v e r!

Thanks

There are a lot of factors in team sports, that disrupt, team. That is the reason coaches like Saben are irritated by sport reporters that ask stupid questions relative to how an upcoming season will turn out.

And then we have Joe who gives the typical coach speak answer that the reporter wants to hear.

DeputyDawg94
10-30-2019, 08:46 PM

One more year to get rid of Stans or Ray? Either way I’d think it’s easier to get back to respectability in basketball because one top recruit can get you there if he has just a little help.

Five-tool Poster
10-30-2019, 10:35 PM

Sharp is one i was worried about burning. Has he played in more than four games?

KB21
10-30-2019, 10:53 PM

Youth and inexperience isn?t an excuse for being undisciplined and unprepared. You are undisciplined because there is no accountability in the program under Joe right now. I think it is beyond obvious that he?s afraid to get on anyone?s ass when they do wrong. He is more interested in being buddies with his players so they will have good things to say about him.

I?m a Dolphins fan in the NFL, and they tanked the talent on their team this season in an effort to rebuild around a high pick QB. They are low on talent, but when you watch that team play, you can tell that they are disciplined and prepared. They play hard and then their lack of talent takes over. That?s not a Joe Moorhead team. This team underachieves, and it is beyond obvious that they aren?t coached well.

Todd4State
10-31-2019, 12:19 AM

No- the "MSU mentality" is to hold onto a coach for too long and hope that we found the next Frank Beamer.

Let's run it down since I know you have ZERO examples from the modern era to go from:

Felker 1988 Tech and 10. STAYED TWO MORE YEARS.

Result: Two more disappointing seasons and probably cost us at least one bowl appearance in the 1980's

Jackie- 2002. "Let's see if Jackie can turn it around. He has done it before!"

Result: 2003, 2-10 basically a wasted season mired in probation. Which did not help Croom start off on the right foot and factored into three straight losing seasons.

Croom- 2008. We actually fired a coach appropriately after going 4-8 despite being one year removed from SEC COY and an 8 win season!

Result: We were able to set Dan Mullen up to have a chance at getting to a bowl (one game and some things that didn't go our way short) and then parlayed that into a 9 year season in 2010. THAT'S WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU DON'T WAIT TOO LONG TO FIRE A COACH.

Dan- 2015. Bitched out on us looking for jobs losing Dak's last game because he was looking other places. President wanted him out. Scott the traitor saved him without an extension.

Result: Unfocused coach for two years that lost to South Alabama, had a losing season and tanked recruiting which we are paying for right now. Had we had an AD with any balls whatsoever we call his bluff and Dan ends up at Maryland. Now he's got a cushy job and we lost two years of recruiting which has hurt us the past two years. Compounded with a bad coach who lacks discipline. But hey- "we can't get rid of a coach who wins eight games".

The above examples are why your position is absolutely asinine. You accuse others of having a "MSU mindset" when you are the actual definition of it- as outlined above. We have failed multiple times doing exactly what you are advocating and the very rare times we didn't turned out to lead us to some of our best eras in MSU football history.

Liverpooldawg
10-31-2019, 08:42 AM
One more year to get rid of Stans or Ray? Either way I’d think it’s easier to get back to respectability in basketball because one top recruit can get you there if he has just a little help.

Stans. We kept Ray too long.

Liverpooldawg
10-31-2019, 08:43 AM
No- the "MSU mentality" is to hold onto a coach for too long and hope that we found the next Frank Beamer.

Let's run it down since I know you have ZERO examples from the modern era to go from:

Felker 1988 Tech and 10. STAYED TWO MORE YEARS.

Result: Two more disappointing seasons and probably cost us at least one bowl appearance in the 1980's

Jackie- 2002. "Let's see if Jackie can turn it around. He has done it before!"

Result: 2003, 2-10 basically a wasted season mired in probation. Which did not help Croom start off on the right foot and factored into three straight losing seasons.

Croom- 2008. We actually fired a coach appropriately after going 4-8 despite being one year removed from SEC COY and an 8 win season!

Result: We were able to set Dan Mullen up to have a chance at getting to a bowl (one game and some things that didn't go our way short) and then parlayed that into a 9 year season in 2010. THAT'S WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU DON'T WAIT TOO LONG TO FIRE A COACH.

Dan- 2015. Bitched out on us looking for jobs losing Dak's last game because he was looking other places. President wanted him out. Scott the traitor saved him without an extension.

Result: Unfocused coach for two years that lost to South Alabama, had a losing season and tanked recruiting which we are paying for right now. Had we had an AD with any balls whatsoever we call his bluff and Dan ends up at Maryland. Now he's got a cushy job and we lost two years of recruiting which has hurt us the past two years. Compounded with a bad coach who lacks discipline. But hey- "we can't get rid of a coach who wins eight games".

The above examples are why your position is absolutely asinine. You accuse others of having a "MSU mindset" when you are the actual definition of it- as outlined above. We have failed multiple times doing exactly what you are advocating and the very rare times we didn't turned out to lead us to some of our best eras in MSU football history.

LOL. Firing Mullen after 2015? LOL. That next hire would have been worse than Rick Ray. We pulled the trigger too quick on Rocky. Personally I'd have given him one more year because he was close. Had he don it he probably would have just retired here as a legend. Had he not, it was just another year. No real arguments with it though. Jackie, we handled it appropriately. As a result we got Dan Mullen down the road. Had we fired JWS that likely never happens. Croom, no arguments.