PDA

View Full Version : How Miss. State measures a successful coach....

BogeyGolfer
10-28-2019, 08:47 PM
I think it is all about the " trajectory" of the program/team. The 2009 team won five games but the product was so much better than in 2008 and even better than the 2007 team in my opinion. I think a coach can stay here as long as he likes if he can win 7-8 games on average with maybe a 6-6 and the possibility of 9 every 4-5 years...

Homedawg
10-28-2019, 09:20 PM
Win the games you are supposed to win. Sure, things happen and you lose one...... every now and then. Not 6 of the first 18 games. Be competitive and feel like you have a chance in the rest. I felt that way in the Mullen years w a couple of bama games as the exception. Sneak up and win one you are supposed to. And go to a bowl almost every year. It's there now..... every 4-5 years have a chance for a really good year 10 ish wins. It's a tough job. Everyone wants to win in this league. Us ark and ole miss are jobs 5-7 in the west and a long long way behind 4 in ease. Just the way it is. Now that doesn't mean we should settle for a shot show like we have at present.

KOdawg1
10-28-2019, 09:23 PM
Consistency would be the adjective I'd use. Get us to a bowl game, win when you're favored, and beat Ole Miss 60% of the time. A consistent coach would be welcomed by the majority of MSU fans.

Commercecomet24
10-28-2019, 09:25 PM
Win the games you are supposed to win. Sure, things happen and you lose one...... every now and then. Not 6 of the first 18 games. Be competitive and feel like you have a chance in the rest. I felt that way in the Mullen years w a couple of bama games as the exception. Sneak up and win one you are supposed to. And go to a bowl almost every year. It's there now..... every 4-5 years have a chance for a really good year 10 ish wins. It's a tough job. Everyone wants to win in this league. Us ark and ole miss are jobs 5-7 in the west and a long long way behind 4 in ease. Just the way it is. Now that doesn't mean we should settle for a shot show like we have at present.

Agree 100%. Mullen and to a certain degree Jackie showed us we could be consistent winners and sometimes big winners. It takes a focused detailed coach to do it because our margin for error is so small. We know it can be done though.

Cooterpoot
10-28-2019, 09:38 PM
We should never have a losing season with a schedule like we had this year. We?ll have rebuilding years once every 5-8 years. 10 wins once every 4-8 years.

Bass Chaser
10-28-2019, 09:42 PM
One thing to note, we can't hire a coach to learn on the job. Our scheduling has changed. We've eliminated a SWAC school and added an OOC P5 which makes our margin even slimmer.

Todd4State
10-28-2019, 11:27 PM

I agree. But I would add pull an upset every 2-3 years. Jackie did that. Dan didn?t enough IMO.

MarketingBully
10-29-2019, 12:23 AM
One thing to note, we can't hire a coach to learn on the job. Our scheduling has changed. We've eliminated a SWAC school and added an OOC P5 which makes our margin even slimmer.

You are correct sir. We have a 25% hit rate with that model in the last 30 years and the wrong hire can crater your program because we don’t react fast enough to replace the mistake. The more I read about Mike Norvell the more I think he would be a sure thing here. How dumb is Ole Miss, MSU, and Arkansas for not grabbing him when they had the chance. All three of those programs are cratering themselves because of what? Dumb ass rumors? We all made shit hires and right now Memphis’ program is better then us, Arkansas, Ole Miss, and Tennessee’s. All four of those programs are going to continue to crater as long as we continue to have the coaches we have in place.

Todd4State
10-29-2019, 12:39 AM
You are correct sir. We have a 25% hit rate with that model in the last 30 years and the wrong hire can crater your program because we don’t react fast enough to replace the mistake. The more I read about Mike Norvell the more I think he would be a sure thing here. How dumb is Ole Miss, MSU, and Arkansas for not grabbing him when they had the chance. All three of those programs are cratering themselves because of what? Dumb ass rumors? We all made shit hires and right now Memphis’ program is better then us, Arkansas, Ole Miss, and Tennessee’s. All four of those programs are going to continue to crater as long as we continue to have the coaches we have in place.

Winner of Memphis/SMU gets our job.

basedog
10-29-2019, 06:59 AM
Winner of Memphis/SMU gets our job.

Nah, let's see who will ne available and that want be known for a few more weeks or so.

Names will appear that haven't been mentioned.

Dawgfan77
10-29-2019, 07:17 AM
Had Cohn looked a making a hire from the power spread coaching tree and not some B10 savant we wouldn?t be in this mess. State is and will always be successful when we are a down hill physical team on offense. That?s not to say we can?t pass the ball we can but we have to maximize our potential and that is what made dan great and JS great at times

sandwolf
10-29-2019, 07:28 AM

This.

Really Clark?
10-29-2019, 07:28 AM
Had Cohn looked a making a hire from the power spread coaching tree and not some B10 savant we wouldn?t be in this mess. State is and will always be successful when we are a down hill physical team on offense. That?s not to say we can?t pass the ball we can but we have to maximize our potential and that is what made dan great and JS great at times

Ryan Day was a candidate and top of our list

Homedawg
10-29-2019, 07:39 AM
I agree. But I would add pull an upset every 2-3 years. Jackie did that. Dan didn?t enough IMO.

I had that in there. Just left a word out. Win one your not supposed to is what I meant.