PDA

View Full Version : Is Rosebowl Turning into Cohen's Lap Dog?

ShotgunDawg
10-28-2019, 04:59 PM
The Boneyard was almost unlistenable today.

Numerous times Rosebowl reminded us of the injury excuses & tutor gate while also saying on multiple occasions to be prepared because Joe Moorhead will be our football coach next season.

It's like nobody involved in this university has a spine.

Cohen's decision is fairly simple: does he care more about being completely fair or doing what's in the best interest of MSU football?

DeputyDawg94
10-28-2019, 05:03 PM
Rosie does seem extremely confident that Joe is staying, but he’s very confident in most everything he says. Sometimes he’s right and sometimes he’s wrong. I sure hope he’s wrong.

Coursesuper
10-28-2019, 05:05 PM
The Boneyard was almost unlistenable today.

Numerous times Rosebowl reminded us of the injury excuses & tutor gate while also saying on multiple occasions to be prepared because Joe Moorhead will be our football coach next season.

It's like nobody involved in this university has a spine.

Cohen's decision is fairly simple: does he care more about being completely fair or doing what's in the best interest of MSU football?

When are you people going to learn? This is exactly what the "Fan Media" is, they are given talking points and told to run with it, to spread the message that the athletic department wants, that is their job.

Cowbell
10-28-2019, 05:05 PM
Cohen is not stupid enough to become the next dead man walking

TrapGame
10-28-2019, 05:11 PM
David Murray was toting the company water on Jake Wim's show too. But he did say if Joe loses the Egg Bowl it might cause "a decision to be made."

But what do we expect. The guys that get press passes to walk on the sidelines and interview players and coaches are not jeopardizing their livelihoods. These guys are not getting on the radio and podcasts and saying "It's chaos in the athletic department. Joe's days are numbered." After Joe is gone Rosebowl will spill the beans in a BY episode about shit we knew all along.

dawgday166
10-28-2019, 05:13 PM
Rosie does seem extremely confident that Joe is staying, but he?s very confident in most everything he says. Sometimes he?s right and sometimes he?s wrong. I sure hope he?s wrong.

Right/wrong about 50/50 IMO.

Really Clark?
10-28-2019, 05:15 PM
David Murray was toting the company water on Jake Wim's show too. But he did say if Joe loses the Egg Bowl it might cause "a decision to be made."

But what do we expect. The guys that get press passes to walk on the sidelines and interview players and coaches are not jeopardizing their livelihoods. These guys are not getting on the radio and podcasts and saying "It's chaos in the athletic department. Joe's days are numbered." After Joe is gone Rosebowl will spill the beans in a BY episode about shit we knew all along.

This^^^

Remember his reporting on tutorgate and suspensions...he is not going to cross certain lines with the university until they tell him it’s time to run with something

bluelightstar
If Cohen gives Moorhead a 3rd year, they both need to be gone next November. We all know this isn’t going to work, and giving Moorhead 3 years just because “that’s what you do” is absurd.

ShotgunDawg

Agree. It's why we really shouldn't listen to a word they say about this.

Commercecomet24
10-28-2019, 05:20 PM
if joe comes back next year(unless this team wins out, not happening) Davis-Wade will be a ghost town.

Coursesuper
10-28-2019, 05:24 PM

Exactly, it's all just bullshit propaganda.

BeardoMSU
10-28-2019, 05:48 PM
Rosie does seem extremely confident that Joe is staying, but he’s very confident in most everything he says. Sometimes he’s right and sometimes he’s wrong. I sure hope he’s wrong.

He's turned into a narcissistic mook. I'm glad he was bored (and obsessed, most importantly) enough to comb through Freeze's phone records, leading to the collapse of that particular house of cards, but he needs to dial back his whole schtick...it's not helping. As I said in another thread, we don't need a propaganda machine, a la Xancy or the like...otherwise, he might as well take his "books" and StarkVillian shirts back to HW-98.

Coursesuper
10-28-2019, 05:51 PM
He's turned into a narcissistic mook. I'm glad he was bored (and obsessed, most importantly) enough to comb through Freeze's phone records, leading to the collapse of that particular house of cards, but he needs to dial back his whole schtick...it's not helping. As I said in another thread, we don't need a propaganda machine, a la Xancy or the like...otherwise, he might as well take his "books" and StarkVillian shirts back to HW-98.

You've nailed that one.

Homedawg
10-28-2019, 05:52 PM

Stop using this moron as a source. He's saying basically, he's gonna be coach barring something earth shattering. Now if 4-8 is earth shattering then ok. And 5-7 there a legit chance he's gone too. Don't know why he's taking that stance. Other than once again, he has a snotty source. See tutor gate.

DeltaChicagoDog
10-28-2019, 05:53 PM
Yeah, it was almost comical his steadfastness in Joe returning. Maybe he’s just doing what little he can to keep some semblance of the recruiting class together.

Coursesuper
10-28-2019, 05:58 PM

You've nailed that one.

cheewgumm
10-28-2019, 06:03 PM
Rosie said he'd be your coach for 1 year "AND BEYOND"...woof. That could be rough.

ScoobaDawg
10-28-2019, 06:03 PM

No offense but why did you come running here to report it then?

Noone connected the university is going to come out and say anything right now. John's already propped up in the back of a PC once this year..

This really sucks... but we just have to make it through the next 4 weeks... hopefully no bad injuries..
and see how it plays out. I want to see change. I don't really have faith that we are going to win this weekend because the team is quitting on him.

Barkman Turner Overdrive
10-28-2019, 06:05 PM

If the rumors of Cohen passing over Whittingham for SLOMO are true, then yes he is stupid enough and he should be the next dead man walking.

timotheus
10-28-2019, 06:08 PM
This is all an attempt to put up a nice resolved face on the program. Steve is no idiot. If Joe loses saturday, I fully expect the dam to break and possibly have an interim the rest of the season.

timotheus
10-28-2019, 06:09 PM
There is some smoke coming from the whittingham deal......

KB21
10-28-2019, 06:26 PM
There is some smoke coming from the whittingham deal......

As in, people are upset that he was passed over or that something may happen with this going forward?

timotheus
10-28-2019, 06:28 PM
In being passed over. I haven't heard a thing about him having interest at this point. This was a total Cohen decision. I hate it but the Moorhead experiment just didn't work.

KOdawg1
10-28-2019, 06:44 PM
In being passed over. I haven't heard a thing about him having interest at this point. This was a total Cohen decision. I hate it but the Moorhead experiment just didn't work.

If the rumors are true, and I suspect they are, Cohen should be fired solely for this. Passing over a proven HC at a P5 school who has been largely successful for a guy whose only HC experience came at freaking Fordham? Idc how innovative his offense looked, you go with the proven guy 10 times out of 10.

Todd4State
10-28-2019, 06:49 PM
I’m going to let this play out before I light my torch and dust off my pitchfork.

TNDawg35
10-28-2019, 06:52 PM
Cohen didn’t pass on him in a sense. Whittingham, was playing both sides trying to get more money from Utah. Cohen got tired of it and said this is what we offer and make a decision. Whittingham stayed at Utah.

Guys, let it all play out. “Stuff” will happen one way or the other.

timotheus
10-28-2019, 07:04 PM
I'm cool with letting this play out. But what I am wary of is if Cohen goes it alone on the next hire. Day by day as this lingers and wanes, so does faith in Cohen.

Todd4State
10-28-2019, 07:09 PM
I'm cool with letting this play out. But what I am wary of is if Cohen goes it alone on the next hire. Day by day as this lingers and wanes, so does faith in Cohen.

We’re paying for hiring an inexperienced AD. But as long as some people are happy that’s all that matters.**

I’m willing to give Cohen a chance to make it right. But he does need to start showing progress as an AD and start improving some things.

BulldogBear
10-28-2019, 07:23 PM

I like to think that. But more and more I've begun to feel like he's a bit of a fraud. IB my a$$.

Todd4State
10-28-2019, 07:26 PM
I like to think that. But more and more I've begun to feel like he's a bit of a fraud. IB my a$$.

Again- inexperience. He doesn’t know what good marketing is or if someone isn’t doing their job like they should in the video department. I’m sure he had growing pains at Northwestern State when he started out as a coach there too. I’m sure he has learned lessons from his coaching hires too. We’ll see if he can apply what he has learned now.

bluelightstar
10-28-2019, 07:26 PM

This is especially true, IMO, if Aaron Feld wanted to come home but we wouldn't pay top dollar for a strength coach.

timotheus
10-28-2019, 07:34 PM
Some people still balk at the notion that John selected the type of people to hire that sort of owe him something. He wanted to be able to keep his thumb on his hires. If you think this is bad, just imagine if the baseball team took a sudden downturn.

Cooterpoot
10-28-2019, 08:02 PM
They?re trying to hold the class together.

Cooterpoot
10-28-2019, 08:05 PM
We’re paying for hiring an inexperienced AD. But as long as some people are happy that’s all that matters.**

I’m willing to give Cohen a chance to make it right. But he does need to start showing progress as an AD and start improving some things.

Him being AD was a planned move by certain people. It should’ve never happened. You never hire a coach on staff to be the AD.

Barkman Turner Overdrive
10-28-2019, 08:18 PM
Cohen didn?t pass on him in a sense. Whittingham, was playing both sides trying to get more money from Utah. Cohen got tired of it and said this is what we offer and make a decision. Whittingham stayed at Utah.

Guys, let it all play out. ?Stuff? will happen one way or the other.

Cohen was willing to pay Mullen $6million. One would have to assume KW would would command within 20% of that much considering his record matches or betters Mullen?s record.

dawgday166
10-28-2019, 08:19 PM
Him being AD was a planned move by certain people. It should?ve never happened. You never hire a coach on staff to be the AD.

I think there has been one or two good one but most times the sport they had coached dominates the others. That's their preference in resource allocation.

Coursesuper
10-28-2019, 08:24 PM
Him being AD was a planned move by certain people. It should’ve never happened. You never hire a coach on staff to be the AD.

This happens all to often with us, doing something stupid that ends up with us stepping on our own dick.

Cooterpoot
10-28-2019, 08:26 PM
Cohen was willing to pay Mullen $6million. One would have to assume KW would would command within 20% of that much considering his record matches or betters Mullen?s record.

He got a 10 year contract with almost no buyout from Utah. He has agreement to remain on payroll even after he retires. He got exactly what he wanted from Utah.

Homedawg
10-28-2019, 08:29 PM
This is especially true, IMO, if Aaron Feld wanted to come home but we wouldn't pay top dollar for a strength coach.

I don't know where this is coming from but this stuff about us holding out on money isn't from Cohen. Not true at all.

somebodyshotmypaw
10-28-2019, 08:32 PM
This happens all to often with us, doing something stupid that ends up with us stepping on our own dick.

If my dick was long enough to step on, I'd probably step on it just to prove that I could. Just being honest.

KOdawg1
10-28-2019, 08:41 PM
They?re trying to hold the class together.
So do you mean they?re waiting to make a move until after the early signing period or they plan on keeping him another year to preserve the class? If its the second option, that is incredibly stupid bc one class isnt worth the loss of revenue next year will bring, and not to mention, next years recruiting class will just end up being the one that sucks. With coaching turnover, you are going to take a hit regardless in recruiting, so might as well rip the band aid off now

bobtail bob
10-28-2019, 09:00 PM
We need a mole on the inside of the athletic department to start dropping a few nuggets on here from time to time The reporters close enough to the program to know the real scoop are bought off with field passes

Homedawg
10-28-2019, 09:11 PM
So do you mean they?re waiting to make a move until after the early signing period or they plan on keeping him another year to preserve the class? If its the second option, that is incredibly stupid bc one class isnt worth the loss of revenue next year will bring, and not to mention, next years recruiting class will just end up being the one that sucks. With coaching turnover, you are going to take a hit regardless in recruiting, so might as well rip the band aid off now

I'm sure that's not what he meant. Just keeping it from falling apart right now....

Commercecomet24
10-28-2019, 09:12 PM
He got a 10 year contract with almost no buyout from Utah. He has agreement to remain on payroll even after he retires. He got exactly what he wanted from Utah.

This. Kyle is a devout Mormon and his families there and being in Salt Lake City he's right where he wanted to be. I've got plenty of friends there that go to church with him and his family. He was never serious about leaving Utah. He's a smart man and set himself up for life in a place he loves.

Homedawg
10-28-2019, 09:14 PM
We need a mole on the inside of the athletic department to start dropping a few nuggets on here from time to time The reporters close enough to the program to know the real scoop are bought off with field passes

Most of the inside info gets brought here by one person or another. Problem is, when it hits too many call bs. And nobody can come out and say, I heard it "here" to make everyone believe. You can tell the ones who have some real sources and the ones who don't. Some stuff honestly just isn't for board consumption for various reasons.

Homedawg
10-28-2019, 09:15 PM
This. Kyle is a devout Mormon and his families there and being in Salt Lake City he's right where he wanted to be. I've got plenty of friends there that go to church with him and his family. He was never serious about leaving Utah. He's a smart man and set himself up for life in a place he loves.

This^ He was never coming here. Agent talk etc.

KOdawg1
10-28-2019, 09:15 PM
I'm sure that's not what he meant. Just keeping it from falling apart right now....

I trust you and your opinions. Do you think we make a move this offseason?

Homedawg
10-28-2019, 09:41 PM
I trust you and your opinions. Do you think we make a move this offseason?

Prior to last sat - 6-6 he stays. 4-8 he goes and 5-7 at best a coin flip. After another week of a team that looked poorly prepared, again. 5-7 gone too. 6-6 I still think he's good but....

HailStateSZN19
10-28-2019, 09:47 PM
Prior to last sat - 6-6 he stays. 4-8 he goes and 5-7 at best a coin flip. After another week of a team that looked poorly prepared, again. 5-7 gone too. 6-6 I still think he's good but....

IF he scrapes by at 6-6 and returns next year, what staff changes do you think are demanded he make? And do you think hiring an OC is one that’s forced to be made?

Homedawg
10-28-2019, 10:09 PM
IF he scrapes by at 6-6 and returns next year, what staff changes do you think are demanded he make? And do you think hiring an OC is one that’s forced to be made?

I don't think there is any chance he's forced to hire an OC. And I don't think he's "forced to do anything". Meaning Cohen isn't going to tel him you need to replace x,y and z. But there will certainly have to be a plan of improvement.

lastmajordog
10-28-2019, 10:31 PM
I may be misinformed but the suspensions and 1st round draft picks didn?t have an affect on the offense, which is more than half the problem......maybe it?s just me.....

ScottH
10-28-2019, 11:05 PM
I may be misinformed but the suspensions and 1st round draft picks didn?t have an affect on the offense, which is more than half the problem......maybe it?s just me.....

Exactly.

I give the defense a soft pass. Even with the suspensions, if the offense lives up to half the expectation I was sold, we have two more wins, a low level bowl and just normal fan grumbling.

Instead we have a team I don't feel comfortable predicting a solid win over Abilene.

The offensive ineptitude, across the board disorganization and abysmal conditioning are my grievances. The defense isn't on that list.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
10-29-2019, 05:57 AM
I don't think there is any chance he's forced to hire an OC. And I don't think he's "forced to do anything". Meaning Cohen isn't going to tel him you need to replace x,y and z. But there will certainly have to be a plan of improvement.

I think if nothing else, there will be a suggested change in the S&C program. I won't give Steve all the blame. Most of the MSU media gave JoMo a pass because he was nice to them and did a film study. All that good will should be gone if Steve is loyal to MSU first and foremost, like he says he is. No matter what, got to keep Tony Hughes in the football program in some capacity.

Barkman Turner Overdrive
10-29-2019, 06:40 AM
This. Kyle is a devout Mormon.

So? Dan is a Scientologist a he stayed in Starkville for almost 10 years.****

StateDawg44
10-29-2019, 07:13 AM
Exactly.

I give the defense a soft pass. Even with the suspensions, if the offense lives up to half the expectation I was sold, we have two more wins, a low level bowl and just normal fan grumbling.

Instead we have a team I don't feel comfortable predicting a solid win over Abilene.

The offensive ineptitude, across the board disorganization and abysmal conditioning are my grievances. The defense isn't on that list.

I get this and all (only because the offense sucks more) but the defense has had its fair share of letdowns this year. Especially the farther into the season we have gotten. Yes, we knew going in that we'd take a step back but this D got knocked down and can't get back up. They deserve no pass for the soft ass missed tackling they have provided us this year. It definitely can be pointed back to coaching no doubt. But some of the angles and lack of field awareness can't be taught and absolutely one of the things that has made my blood boil while watching games.

They deserve no pass other than injuries and suspensions and being young upfront.

1bigdawg
10-29-2019, 08:51 AM
I had a friend that worked for "Dawgs Bite" back in the '70s which was at the time an independent publication. He wrote an accurate but scathing article about the football program. He was fired the next day.

What do you expect Rosebowl/Genespage to do? That is why Elitedawgs is the best MSU site; there are insiders who can share anonymously.

Dawg2003
10-29-2019, 09:44 AM
Steve has gotten really preachy lately on the Boneyard. He always talks about a "certain segment of the fanbase" and why they have the wrong opinion. Then, he will inform the listeners of the correct opinion they are to have. His tone is very self-righteous and condescending towards anyone that feels differently. I don't remember it being this bad when I first started listening to his podcast a few years ago.

TNDawg35
10-29-2019, 10:05 AM
Steve has gotten really preachy lately on the Boneyard. He always talks about a "certain segment of the fanbase" and why they have the wrong opinion. Then, he will inform the listeners of the correct opinion they are to have. His tone is very self-righteous and condescending towards anyone that feels differently. I don't remember it being this bad when I first started listening to his podcast a few years ago.

That and if you don’t eat at bulldog burger than **** you!!!***

Coursesuper
10-29-2019, 10:08 AM

Well done.

BeardoMSU
10-29-2019, 10:14 AM
He always talks about a "certain segment of the fanbase"

Probably referring to the ones with actual degrees from State.***

Commercecomet24
10-29-2019, 10:16 AM

It is a good burger but dang he goes overboard with the ads and plugs lol.

Commercecomet24
10-29-2019, 10:17 AM
Probably referring to the ones with actual degrees from State.***

You mean he's not talking about all our sidewalk/walmart fans?******

DeputyDawg94
10-29-2019, 10:35 PM
I used to listen to every show. Now when he gets preach, as you say I turn it off. I don?t need someone telling me what my opinion should be about a product when I?ve clearly seen it for my self. Lots of good men and women have sacrificed for me to be able to have my own opinions from God and guns to MSU football and sugared cornbread. Sugared cornbread is a sin by the way.

maroonmania
10-29-2019, 10:54 PM
Rosie said he'd be your coach for 1 year "AND BEYOND"...woof. That could be rough.

Rosie's biggest issue is protecting recruiting. So he is going to say what eases concerns from the family of recruits. Our fans don't seem to care one way or the other if recruits stay with us or not since most have already picked out the new coach. No decision has or will be made on Joe until November plays out and the Egg Bowl will be a huge factor in what happens going forward.

Todd4State
10-29-2019, 11:39 PM
Rosie's biggest issue is protecting recruiting. So he is going to say what eases concerns from the family of recruits. Our fans don't seem to care one way or the other if recruits stay with us or not since most have already picked out the new coach. No decision has or will be made on Joe until November plays out and the Egg Bowl will be a huge factor in what happens going forward.

I don?t know about that. I?ve seen a few worried that everyone is going to de-commit and Shrader will follow Joe. None of which is likely to happen.