PDA

View Full Version : If Joe is given 2020.....

DeputyDawg94
10-28-2019, 04:07 PM
How far does that set the program back? I think it would take the new coach at least 3 years to get back to a consistent 8-9 win team. I?m not talking 6-6 or 7-5, I think a competent coach could do that next year especially if GS stays. Each year he?s here is a little further back we?ll be.

Tbonewannabe
10-28-2019, 05:10 PM
As long as the recruiting is there, I think it could be one year back to 6-6 and 1 or 2 more back to 8 win average. The problem is when recruiting starts dropping because of dead man walking.

Dawgfan77
10-28-2019, 05:14 PM
Bigger question. Who is gong to support the team and go to games. Their is no excitement headed into 2020 with SloMo.
It?s more than just the excitement it?s about the loss of revenue in and around Starkville. That also bleeds over to the school. Enrollment money spent around the campus and bulldog club.
This is another reason joe gotta go

DogsofAnarchy
10-28-2019, 05:15 PM
We have always waited too long. I just wish we would try it a different way one time. If it doesn’t work? So be it because JoMo isn’t gonna work anyway. Doesn’t matter how much talent he brings in. It’s gonna be about the same talent we would bring in without him.

KB21
10-28-2019, 05:21 PM
....then John Cohen is attaching his AD career to Joe Moorhead’s success.

timotheus
10-28-2019, 06:14 PM
If he is allowed to have the next season, I'll be shocked if he wins 6 games just by peering at the schedule. He would really have to shore up the losses and change them from blowouts to being competitive into the 4th qtr. Getting rid of him won't knock the team back much due to the fact that a different coach could win currently.

BogeyGolfer
10-28-2019, 08:42 PM
How far does that set the program back? I think it would take the new coach at least 3 years to get back to a consistent 8-9 win team. I?m not talking 6-6 or 7-5, I think a competent coach could do that next year especially if GS stays. Each year he?s here is a little further back we?ll be.

At least two years to get back to 8 wins, there is a fine line at Miss. State between 5 wins and 7-8 wins. Our fan base is happy when we win the ones we should and have the opportunity to knock off the ones we shouldn't. The fact Joe can't get us to this level will be his undoing.

Coursesuper
10-28-2019, 08:48 PM
It will knock us back least 3 more years, will have to learn how to win again and UMN is back at full strength so there's that competition that shouldn't have been as big of an issue.

bobtail bob
10-28-2019, 09:05 PM
If he is allowed to stay , it will hurt giving what little money I can afford to MSU. It put?s me in a quandary that I really resent being put in

KOdawg1
10-28-2019, 09:20 PM
I think it's difficult to predict how far it would set us back simply due to the fact that we don't know who we'll hire as a replacement yet. We didn't make a bowl in year 1 of Dan's rebuild, but it was obvious the culture was changing and the future was bright. Year 2 began the bowl streak that has lasted up until this year. So it just depends on who we hire.

CoachT14
10-28-2019, 09:30 PM
I think it's difficult to predict how far it would set us back simply due to the fact that we don't know who we'll hire as a replacement yet. We didn't make a bowl in year 1 of Dan's rebuild, but it was obvious the culture was changing and the future was bright. Year 2 began the bowl streak that has lasted up until this year. So it just depends on who we hire.

With as bad as the culture seems to be at the moment, it would take at least two years to probably offset what Moorhead has currently done. It's almost amazing how quickly he's destroyed the foundation that Mullen set here and only in a year and a half. Pretty unprecedented I'd have to say.

Now I could be completely wrong and we make the correct hire this time and by next a lot of the current discipline issues are fixed, but that would be best case scenario. And I, unfortunately, just don't see that happening.

DeputyDawg94
10-28-2019, 10:10 PM
I think the culture or foundation that he has torn down in less than 2 seasons goes back even further than Mullen. Croom left some hard a$$ MFs on the team for Mullen to start off with. They certainly were not soft or scared of contact.

Todd4State
10-28-2019, 11:23 PM
If Moorhead comes back all we can do is hope he does some soul searching and makes corrections. Of course that rarely happens once control is lost- but it’s also not impossible either.

The only positive about all the phony stuff he has done is it tells me that he at least hears what the problems are.

My 10 cent advice to him would be to meet Ed Orgeron in the offseason and learn how to delegate things and let others do their jobs. Which would probably entail getting an OC and trying to find some assistants that are hardasses.

BhamDawg205
10-28-2019, 11:51 PM
I think the new coach has to be a mix of Croom and Mullen. With all the faults Croom had on the offensive side of the ball, he laid the foundation for Mullen. Mullen didn't have to focus on cutting the rot out of the program. Mullen succeeded were Croom failed. The next coach will have to do both. There are some quitters and selfish players on this team. That new coach will have to set the tone day1... Get with the program or get gone. And be able to adapt his philosophy to current players.

fishwater99
10-29-2019, 12:08 PM
We are not firing him, so he will be back unless he leaves on his own.

Coursesuper
10-29-2019, 12:13 PM

You got some solid intel on this?

Churchill
10-29-2019, 12:23 PM
I don't think the vast majority of State folks want Joe back and I don't think Joe could possibly want to be here under these conditions. "Just shoot up here amongst us, one of us needs some relief".

DeputyDawg94
10-29-2019, 02:10 PM
I think the new coach has to be a mix of Croom and Mullen. With all the faults Croom had on the offensive side of the ball, he laid the foundation for Mullen. Mullen didn't have to focus on cutting the rot out of the program. Mullen succeeded were Croom failed. The next coach will have to do both. There are some quitters and selfish players on this team. That new coach will have to set the tone day1... Get with the program or get gone. And be able to adapt his philosophy to current players.
Agree. If this teams talent played with Croom’s teams intensity we’d be a lot better off than we are right now. Probably with at least 2 extra wins this year and maybe 3 last year.

Homedawg
10-29-2019, 02:19 PM

So you think we win 3 of the last 4? Bc that's the only way he is safe. It's possible he survives at 5-7, but don't count on it.

OLJWales
10-29-2019, 07:18 PM
When you look at Mullen's Tenure and the fact that Joe inherited a defensive unit that gave up 12 TD's in 12 games that gave us 4 losses then the bowl game cluster, you see how ridiculous a job Joe is doing. Even the National Media is saying that we are not being properly managed. The potential is HERE in Vegas and it should NOT be underestimated based on the Mullen tenure. We have the potential AND resources to do better than this cluster. We just gotta have someone who will do the part needed.

Captain Falcon
10-29-2019, 08:16 PM
So you think we win 3 of the last 4? Bc that's the only way he is safe. It's possible he survives at 5-7, but don't count on it.

I think some people are confusing “should he be fired” with “will he be fired”. They are two entirely different questions.

Homedawg
10-29-2019, 08:18 PM
The fact that is- ...last year if we had held opponents to 7 points in our 4 sec losses we would have gone 0-3 -1 in those 4. Juggernaut offensively. How could anyone doubt that??***

Homedawg
10-29-2019, 08:19 PM
I think some people are confusing “should he be fired” with “will he be fired”. They are two entirely different questions.

And I'm saying he WILL be fired at 4-8. He WONT be at 6-6. 5-7 is in limbo. But I'm starting to think he's out w that as well. We shall see.

RocketDawg
10-29-2019, 08:23 PM
With as bad as the culture seems to be at the moment, it would take at least two years to probably offset what Moorhead has currently done. It's almost amazing how quickly he's destroyed the foundation that Mullen set here and only in a year and a half. Pretty unprecedented I'd have to say.

Now I could be completely wrong and we make the correct hire this time and by next a lot of the current discipline issues are fixed, but that would be best case scenario. And I, unfortunately, just don't see that happening.

Can somebody define what is meant by "culture"? I see it in numerous posts but I don't really know what it means. Is it a north vs. south thing (I certainly hope not), a pretentious sophisticated social vs down-to-earth, or what? Or is it an "expected to win" vs "expected to lose" attitude?

Commercecomet24
10-29-2019, 08:23 PM
And I'm saying he WILL be fired at 4-8. He WONT be at 6-6. 5-7 is in limbo. But I'm starting to think he's out w that as well. We shall see.

This agree with this 100%

Commercecomet24
10-29-2019, 08:25 PM
Even if he goes 6-6 and stays Davis-Wade will be a ghost town next year unless he pulls a compete 180. There will be no excitement about our football team going into 2020.

Homedawg
10-29-2019, 08:28 PM
Even if he goes 6-6 and stays Davis-Wade will be a ghost town next year unless he pulls a compete 180. There will be no excitement about our football team going into 2020.

Unfortunately this is correct. And I don't see it getting better w him. But I also think it's hard to fire him after a bowl game, even if we had a cupcake schedule and underachieved last year.

Commercecomet24
10-29-2019, 08:31 PM
Unfortunately this is correct. And I don't see it getting better w him. But I also think it's hard to fire him after a bowl game, even if we had a cupcake schedule and underachieved last year.

Yeah Cohen definitely has some tough decisions coming unless joe leaves in his own. No one wants joe to succeed more than me but dang it's hard to watch how bad we've been playing.

CoachT14
10-30-2019, 07:15 AM
Can somebody define what is meant by "culture"? I see it in numerous posts but I don't really know what it means. Is it a north vs. south thing (I certainly hope not), a pretentious sophisticated social vs down-to-earth, or what? Or is it an "expected to win" vs "expected to lose" attitude?

https://media.tenor.com/images/71eb55fb0dcd52b1631c8d324771e7d1/tenor.gif

I mean culture is the by product of your program. It's the expectations and standards you plan for others to see inside your program/business and outside your program/business. What I mean by culture is that from the way we play on Saturdays, I feel like I could walk into a football staff meeting and coaches would just be sitting around with their thumbs up their a$$es and patting themselves on the back for all the great quotes they come up with. If you could take that back 3 or 4 years ago and walk in a Mullen staff meeting, I'd imagine it would be quite the opposite and they be effectively getting work done to better the product the following Saturday. Culture in essence is who you are, why you do what you do, and how you could do it. Right now, I have no idea who our football program is other than sloppy, undisciplined, and uncaring. I have no idea why they are even out there on Saturday because they obviously don't care about what they are doing. And since there isn't really a who or why, there isn't really a how.

FISHDAWG
10-30-2019, 09:37 AM

depends - if we hire a coordinator that needs time to learn how to be a head coach or if an experienced HC rolls the dice and takes a chance on us .... C-34 said a year ago that we were going into the abyss for 3 to 4 years and I agreed with him then and we are seeing that pan out now ..... I'm in construction and an old saying goes "Anything is possible if you throw enough money at it" ..... I think it's going to take a lot of cash to climb out of this hole

gravedigger
10-30-2019, 10:23 AM

That is sort of a moving target isnt it? What it means to me is that just about EVERYONE is displeased with the performance of the team and worried about what it's going to take to get back to successful football. The division is in WHAT the recovery requires. Some say it's getting rid of the head coach immediately. And by that they mean he is never going to be able to recover the program. The others say it's not time yet. That he can and should get another season beyond this one to get things on track. Both 'cultures' think the opposing side is being unreasonable. That isnt surprising. Both are saying that the other is ruining the experience for everyone. Again not surprising.

As someone who thinks he should get another year at least, I do not fall into the category of expecting the team to lose. I just dont agree with the method to get back to winning.

Coursesuper
10-30-2019, 10:50 AM
That is sort of a moving target isnt it? What it means to me is that just about EVERYONE is displeased with the performance of the team and worried about what it's going to take to get back to successful football. The division is in WHAT the recovery requires. Some say it's getting rid of the head coach immediately. And by that they mean he is never going to be able to recover the program. The others say it's not time yet. That he can and should get another season beyond this one to get things on track. Both 'cultures' think the opposing side is being unreasonable. That isnt surprising. Both are saying that the other is ruining the experience for everyone. Again not surprising.

As someone who thinks he should get another year at least, I do not fall into the category of expecting the team to lose. I just dont agree with the method to get back to winning.

I'm pretty sure it not the culture of a message board, its the culture of football program that is being referenced here.

gravedigger
10-30-2019, 11:23 AM
I'm pretty sure it not the culture of a message board, its the culture of football program that is being referenced here.

As am I.

Coursesuper
10-30-2019, 11:40 AM
As am I.

Okay, whatever.

Goldendawg
10-30-2019, 05:53 PM

My family has been fortunate to have been in the Bulldog Club and season ticket holders for over 50 years. My last Father was there at the beginning of the Club and raised all his children as hardcore Dawgs (our favorite two teams are State and whoever is playing UM!). We have always had as many as 12 season tickets and never fewer than 8. My 82 year old Mom still watches but no longer attends the games. For the first time in all those years, she asked me if might be time to have a family meeting and talk about a better way to spend these dollar$. I have never heard these words in the Shira years, Tech and 10, the Croom debacle, or all the probations. No one has any hope of more than a Abilene Christian win or even enjoys watching this train wreck!

Goldendawg
10-30-2019, 06:03 PM

You need to check your history. Croom had about as many bad eggs as Jackie. At least under Jackie, we never had a shootout on campus with at least two starters being kicked off the team. Croom was a joke. I think we now know why bama wouldn't hire him.

Goldendawg
10-30-2019, 06:07 PM

I hope that I am wrong, but I do not expect to win another game other than Abilene. I have not felt excitement at any game that I have watched this year ( all home games to date at DWS) or on TV.

OLJWales
10-30-2019, 06:39 PM
I hope that I am wrong, but I do not expect to win another game other than Abilene. I have not felt excitement at any game that I have watched this year ( all home games to date at DWS) or on TV.

As much as I hate to admit, I agree with you. We're going 1-3 to close out I'm afraid. NOMOJOMO.

Coursesuper
10-30-2019, 06:41 PM

This is correct, it will feel like funeral next year unless a miracle happens.