PDA

View Full Version : If Moorhead is still the coach next year

Spiderman
10-28-2019, 01:19 PM
he has to give up the play calling and the OC job.

A great fit would be Brett Elliott, who was QB coach and called the plays in the Gator Bowl under very difficult circumstances. That was a hell of a job he did.

That offense fits us, and it's proven to work. Plus Brett is a loyal, hard working dude. He got a raw deal in the coaching change. Mullen kinda left him hanging because he was gonna hire Johnson again to go to Florida.

Brett's at a small school now, but his offense is leading the nation in their division in almost every major category.

bluelightstar
10-28-2019, 01:24 PM
If you're bringing in an OC to completely change the offense and call plays, why even keep Moorhead? He certainly isn't bringing anything to the table as a "CEO"-type coach in terms of motivation or discipline.

ShotgunDawg
10-28-2019, 01:30 PM
Joe isn't good enough at any single thing to keep around.

You make changes like that for guys like Orgeron who are elite recruiters and the players love.

You don't make moves like that for coaches that aren't elite in a certain area.

Make sense?

TrapGame
10-28-2019, 01:30 PM
I don't think Moorhead will allow an OC to call plays. But he has to understand he's the CEO now and this isn't the Patriot League. This is big boy football. Orgeron figured that out.

Cooterpoot
10-28-2019, 01:32 PM
I agree! Fire the OC!

TrapGame
10-28-2019, 01:35 PM
I agree! Fire the OC!

Cohen: "Joe, we're gonna have to let the OC go."

Moorhead: "But, I am the OC."

Cohen: "Precisely."

ShotgunDawg
I don't think Moorhead will allow an OC to call plays. But he has to understand he's the CEO now and this isn't the Patriot League. This is big boy football. Orgeron figured that out.

It's not worth it for us to find a way to keep JoMo around. There's no upside to him because he's not above average in any single area.

Spiderman
Joe isn't good enough at any single thing to keep around.

You make changes like that for guys like Orgeron who are elite recruiters and the players love.

You don't make moves like that for coaches that aren't elite in a certain area.

Make sense?

Again, I'm saying IF he is still the coach. He has to just be the HC and give up the play calling/OC job.

StarkVegasSteve
10-28-2019, 01:41 PM
IF he is still the HC, and that's a big IF, he needs to completely cede playcalling, can Breiner, go out and pay BIG money to get an OC, and go spend a week with O to see how he handles his program. Again, I'm not in favor of bringing him back, but if we have to there needs to be major overhaul. I figured firing the S&C coach goes without saying.

Irondawg
10-28-2019, 01:47 PM
I think Joe is a good recruiter and could be a decent CEO type as long as he hires intensely competitive, disciplined guys on the offense and defensive staff to compensate for what he seems to lack there.

Back to the original post I really liked Elliott as well and wish we had kept him in some capacity

Spiderman
10-28-2019, 01:48 PM
IF he is still the HC, and that's a big IF, he needs to completely cede playcalling, can Breiner, go out and pay BIG money to get an OC, and go spend a week with O to see how he handles his program. Again, I'm not in favor of bringing him back, but if we have to there needs to be major overhaul. I figured firing the S&C coach goes without saying.

If he can't get to a bowl he has to be fired. I think even making a bowl it's just delaying what will come as far as firing him. BUT IF, he is here, he has to make major changes to the S&C, and the Offensive side. If not, he truly is Croom 2.0, and will continue to lose and get fired.

No matter who the next coach is, Elliott ought to get a look at OC. He just fits us in what we can recruit to do.

shoeless joe
10-28-2019, 02:04 PM
If he’s still the head coach I will assume Cohen has decide the women’s basketball program will be the bell cow of the athletics department and provide the funds for all other programs...

TrapGame
10-28-2019, 02:06 PM
It's not worth it for us to find a way to keep JoMo around. There's no upside to him because he's not above average in any single area.

Oh I agree. You preaching to the choir here Gun.

But I think Joe's ego is so wrapped up in his "genius" offensive system that he is going to live and die by it. He'll never have an OC anywhere he's head coach.

Tbonewannabe
10-28-2019, 02:09 PM
If you look at what the head coach does, Joe isn't great at very much.

Recruiting - better than Mullen but we aren't doing much better than most SEC programs.

S&C - worst I have seen at MSU

Special Teams - one of the worst I have seen in a while. Joe also was able to add a special teams coach to concentrate on that where other previous coaches didn't have that extra coaching position.

Offense - Just a little above Croom and Jackie's meltdown years. Inflated by getting yards and points when other teams are playing soft coverage to burn clock.

Defense - Up there with the Sirmon defense and Jackie's meltdown years. This is where the injuries and suspensions truly hurt along with Mullen's lack of DT recruiting.

Motivation - We have been sleepwalking since game 1. The team regularly comes out flat and looks like they are just going through the motions.

Gameplanning - we regularly look like hot garbage in the first quarter where the coaches planning is on display.

Press conferences - He has been good at this and seems to be a likeable guy. However, his same old sayings every week about why we lost are getting stale.

Political Hack
10-28-2019, 02:35 PM
If he's the coach next year it won't matter who's calling plays. The fan base has abandoned the program in about as rapid of a fashion as I've ever seen. We stuck by Croom for way too long even though he was worse.

ShotgunDawg
10-28-2019, 02:41 PM
If he's the coach next year it won't matter who's calling plays. The fan base has abandoned the program in about as rapid of a fashion as I've ever seen. We stuck by Croom for way too long even though he was worse.

It's because Mullen showed us what good coaching looks like and it's easy to see the difference.

Everyone is in agreement this guys sucks.

Commercecomet24
10-28-2019, 02:42 PM

Yeah it's been a rapid mass exodus. If he's still next year there will be absolutely zero to look forward to for the spring or next season. There will be no excitement at all about our football team and the program will be sinking like the titanic.

shoeless joe
10-28-2019, 03:03 PM

What was he worse at?

Coursesuper
10-28-2019, 03:10 PM
Yeah it's been a rapid mass exodus. If he's still next year there will be absolutely zero to look forward to for the spring or next season. There will be no excitement at all about our football team and the program will be sinking like the titanic.

This is exactly why there has to be a change. It’s a program killer to keep this staff in place, it’s just over.

Commercecomet24
10-28-2019, 03:16 PM
This is exactly why there has to be a change. It?s a program killer to keep this staff in place, it?s just over.

Agreed. Has to be a change.

TALL DAWG
10-28-2019, 08:47 PM
he has to give up the play calling and the OC job.

A great fit would be Brett Elliott, who was QB coach and called the plays in the Gator Bowl under very difficult circumstances. That was a hell of a job he did.

That offense fits us, and it's proven to work. Plus Brett is a loyal, hard working dude. He got a raw deal in the coaching change. Mullen kinda left him hanging because he was gonna hire Johnson again to go to Florida.

Brett's at a small school now, but his offense is leading the nation in their division in almost every major category.

IF SLOPPY JO MO IS BACK...HE BEST HIRE A NEW SPECIAL TEAMS COACH, S&C COACH AND AN O-CORDINATOR.