PDA

View Full Version : It all boils back to last year

MoreCowbell
10-28-2019, 08:26 AM
Had Moorhead won more than 8 games last year he would have built enough credit to get him through this year with the suspensions, even if we still look like we do. Last year left a sour taste in everyones mouth. Had we been just average on offense last year we win 10 games MINIMUM. 2018 was Joes undoing, not this year. I am still more pissed off about last year than this year and I dont think I will ever get over it. 2018 was an SEC champion type roster with the right coaching.

What sucks is that 2018 team/roster is what Mullen was building towards the whole time he was here and he bolts when that time came. 17 Loafers, what could have been...

bluelightstar
10-28-2019, 08:29 AM
1. Agree completely. You can’t follow up disaster with disappointment, and that’s what Joe has done. It’s also why the “two dropped passes” mantra is complete BS. We remember those two dropped passes so well because his offense could barely get into scoring territory.

2. This isn’t on Stricklin. Mullen was going to UT if not for the Florida call. Good on them for giving him a better landing spot.

TrapGame
10-28-2019, 08:32 AM
Yep, this is about 2018 just as much as 2019. The offensive guru had an experienced offense built by its predecessor to run first, pass second. Joe as the savant he's praised to be should have seen this watching film. Trying to make Fitz into McSorley was a huge mistake. You play with the hand you are dealt. If Joe runs a basic, ultra simplified version of his offense geared to run first with intermediate passes sprinkled in we win 10 games.

MoreCowbell
10-28-2019, 08:36 AM
1. Agree completely. You can’t follow up disaster with disappointment, and that’s what Joe has done. It’s also why the “two dropped passes” mantra is complete BS. We remember those two dropped passes so well because his offense could barely get into scoring territory.

2. This isn’t on Stricklin. Mullen was going to UT if not for the Florida call. Good on them for giving him a better landing spot.

Maybe he does bolt for UT, but Mullen is also smart enough to realize the roster he had on his hands and I could see him staying put to win an SEC championship then if he did that he could name his next gig. Just sucks we will never know.

Maroonthirteen
10-28-2019, 08:40 AM
If Moorhead beats Mullen in 2018.

Also if the Stevens transfer works out, Moorhead has the patience of the fans and most fans would be “ok” with 6-6 and keeping the bowl streak.

Those are two huge fails that have pushed his approval rating well below 50%.

dawgday166
10-28-2019, 08:43 AM
Yep, this is about 2018 just as much as 2019. The offensive guru had an experienced offense built by its predecessor to run first, pass second. Joe as the savant he's praised to be should have seen this watching film. Trying to make Fitz into McSorley was a huge mistake. You play with the hand you are dealt. If Joe runs a basic, ultra simplified version of his offense geared to run first with intermediate passes sprinkled in we win 10 games.

Fitz might've been better with McSorley with NFL skill players. I still go to TAM last year when he knew his blind side was protected by Aeris and a LBs helmet was much less likely to hit him between the shoulder blades.

I'm convinced Joe's not good at reviewing film.

RiverCityDawg
10-28-2019, 08:45 AM
Had Moorhead won more than 8 games last year he would have built enough credit to get him through this year with the suspensions, even if we still look like we do. Last year left a sour taste in everyones mouth. Had we been just average on offense last year we win 10 games MINIMUM. 2018 was Joes undoing, not this year. I am still more pissed off about last year than this year and I dont think I will ever get over it. 2018 was an SEC champion type roster with the right coaching.

It's deeper than that. The reason he didn't go 8-4 is the same reason he isn't getting it done this year. He doesn't have it. He says the right things and know what he has to do, he just can't do it. I understand what you are saying, but you can't really look at last year or this year in a vacuum. If he had the ability to win 10 last year we would be 5-3 right now instead of 3-5 and we would look much more competitive in the losses.

MoreCowbell
10-28-2019, 08:56 AM
It's deeper than that. The reason he didn't go 8-4 is the same reason he isn't getting it done this year. He doesn't have it. He says the right things and know what he has to do, he just can't do it. I understand what you are saying, but you can't really look at last year or this year in a vacuum. If he had the ability to win 10 last year we would be 5-3 right now instead of 3-5 and we would look much more competitive in the losses.

Not winning 10 last year was criminal even with a coach as terrible as Moorhead.

irishdawg
10-28-2019, 09:02 AM
I agree...I havent seen a good hire from Cohen yet...Baseball is just ok, but football is a mess now.

Homedawg
10-28-2019, 09:09 AM
Maybe he does bolt for UT, but Mullen is also smart enough to realize the roster he had on his hands and I could see him staying put to win an SEC championship then if he did that he could name his next gig. Just sucks we will never know.

We know. I know, he was gone. You can choose to believe it or not.

Dawgfan77
10-28-2019, 09:10 AM

Also if the Stevens transfer works out, Moorhead has the patience of the fans and most fans would be “ok” with 6-6 and keeping the bowl streak.

Negative sir. You don?t lose at home to K State get embarrassed by AU and get beat by a bad UT team with the talent we have currently. I don?t mind the losses to AU and LSU. I do mind un discipline and lack of creativity and lack of physical play. Sure recruiting is decent but it?s. It that much different than what Mullen did.
There is nothing about the Moorehead era that is positive regarding our football program.

TrapGame
10-28-2019, 09:18 AM

Spot freakin' on. He basically auditioned to be our head coach last year and massively underachieved. From what I've heard some of his responses during press conferences last season - rebuilding a program, changing the culture especially - sent up major warning flags with some athletic department people. The doubt started building very rapidly.

TrapGame
10-28-2019, 09:21 AM
Negative sir. You don?t lose at home to K State get embarrassed by AU and get beat by a bad UT team with the talent we have currently. I don?t mind the losses to AU and LSU. I do mind un discipline and lack of creativity and lack of physical play. Sure recruiting is decent but it?s. It that much different than what Mullen did.
There is nothing about the Moorehead era that is positive regarding our football program.

Bo Bounds today: "Pruitt needs to send Moorhead a gift basket for helping him get his program back on track. He's got a team that believes they can win now."

AlSwearengen
10-28-2019, 10:07 AM
I had serious concerns after the first couple of games with the penalties and other signs of discipline problems, as well as trouble getting plays in. Even though we were running up and down the field on shitty teams, we looked like shit.

R2Dawg
10-28-2019, 12:09 PM

Agree 2018 did Joe in, specifically UF. He didn't understand how big that game was to MSU.

The QB mess on Joe is a total joke. that one thing along shows you all you need to know about Joe at MSU.

Maroonthirteen
10-28-2019, 01:33 PM

I was pointing more to the underlying problem State fans have with Moorhead.

However, obviously the loses to KState and TN are unacceptable and as well as the effort this weekend.

Coursesuper
10-28-2019, 02:26 PM

Dude, he was gone period, he was not going to the head coach at MSU in 18 and that was a known fact.

MoreCowbell
10-28-2019, 04:15 PM
We know. I know, he was gone. You can choose to believe it or not.

Does he probably leave? Yea. But none of us know for sure. Not worth arguing about.

RiverCityDawg
10-28-2019, 04:17 PM
Does he probably leave? Yea. But none of us know for sure. Not worth arguing about.

Yes, some of us do know for sure. He had already made the decision.

MoreCowbell
10-28-2019, 04:17 PM
Dude, he was gone period, he was not going to the head coach at MSU in 18 and that was a known fact.

Ok that is fine my point still stands though that last years roster had SEC championship potential and the smart move for Mullen would have been to stay here for 2018 if Florida did not offer. I forgot to add the caveat if Florida hired someone else.

MoreCowbell
10-28-2019, 04:18 PM
K