PDA

View Full Version : HS to NFL

TheLostDawg
10-27-2019, 07:32 PM
Just curious if Jenkins always says Clarkesdale or just tonight. I like how Dak says hail State. Still waiting on the day Cox says it. I'm not holding my breath though.

TheLostDawg
10-27-2019, 07:41 PM
Rankin just did it too. I guess that they are ashamed of us after this weekend

vv83
10-27-2019, 07:41 PM
Rankin just said HS as well. Weird

ShotgunDawg
10-27-2019, 07:42 PM
Rankin went by his HS as well.

Pretty pathetic support of our program.

RezDog7
And right on cue, Rankin also gives his high school. Maybe the players don't like Moorhead either.

MetEdDawg
I guess I don't understand why people feel this is a big deal.

It's like kids can only be loyal to the college they went to and not the high school or the town they grew up in. Hell I've heard guys name their elementary school before.

It's not a big deal. We've got Chris Jones (injured), Preston Smith, Elgton Jenkins, and Martinas Rankin starting in the game. We should be happy about that.

Quit bitching just to bitch people. My 5 year old daughter has more emotional stability than 75% of this board.

Commercecomet24
10-27-2019, 07:46 PM

It's like kids can only be loyal to the college they went to and not the high school or the town they grew up in. Hell I've heard guys name their elementary school before.

It's not a big deal. We've got Chris Jones (injured), Preston Smith, Elgton Jenkins, and Martinas Rankin starting in the game. We should be happy about that.

Quit bitching just to bitch people. My 5 year old daughter has more emotional stability than 75% of this board.

Agreed. We have enough legit stuff to bitch about but this isn't one of them.

SailingDawg
10-27-2019, 07:51 PM
Chris Jones is injured?

OLJWales
10-27-2019, 07:53 PM
Do other NFL players do this?

Ari Gold
10-27-2019, 07:53 PM
It’s amazing how stupid some of you are.. might as well take to twitter As well.. call them out there
What’s sad is some of you will actually do that.

Ari Gold
10-27-2019, 07:54 PM
Do other NFL players do this?

No it’s just State players..
I guess this is the first Sunday night football game you have watched.

Homedawg
10-27-2019, 07:55 PM

While it might not be a big deal, it is important. Don't you think hs players watch?? If they saw 3 starters in a game that said miss state that's a big deal. I'm pretty sure a kid out of state has no clue Elton played for us, unless the broadcast crew says it. Huge? Maybe not. Important? Most definitely.

OLJWales
10-27-2019, 07:57 PM
No it’s just State players..
I guess this is the first Sunday night football game you have watched.

No need to be a dick. I rarely watch professional sports.

hacker
10-27-2019, 07:58 PM
don't they record these before the season?

MetEdDawg
While it might not be a big deal, it is important. Don't you think hs players watch?? If they saw 3 starters in a game that said miss state that's a big deal. I'm pretty sure a kid out of state has no clue Elton played for us, unless the broadcast crew says it. Huge? Maybe not. Important? Most definitely.

I care more about what's important to kids than what I do to MSU. Sorry I'm just wired that way.

But I'm not going to let what I think is best override what someone else might be saying that means something to them. Sure could MSU benefit? I guess maybe. It's not something we could ever measure or prove.

But there's a reason he's saying it. And those are done before the season for all of you conspiracy theorists like Shotgun. It means something to them to say their hometown. So why not support our players instead of bash them?

Unfortunately the MO of a lot on this board doesn't allow folks to do that.

ZedFedder
If I was a pro player, I’d probably say my high school.

CovertDawg
10-27-2019, 08:03 PM
This is such a non issue. Who cares. People hear "Mississippi State" on television all the time whether you live in Minnesota or Mississippi. People only hear of Yazoo City when Fletcher says it or they have their head buried in a Willie Morris book.

BrunswickDawg
10-27-2019, 08:07 PM
Do we really have to have this dumbass thread 2-3 times every season? Really?
Get over it. It doesn't matter, it's not a slight by the former players, players all over the league so it.

R2Dawg
10-27-2019, 08:37 PM

It is not the end of the world but it does promote MSU and our brand or not. How many times I hear - The Ohio State. Ever see a Bama player say their high school? Percentage wise, we have more than anyone.

OLJWales
10-27-2019, 09:23 PM
It is not the end of the world but it does promote MSU and our brand or not. How many times I hear - The Ohio State. Ever see a Bama player say their high school? Percentage wise, we have more than anyone.

Do we have issues within the AD Dept? Are we being dicks to former players? Are there no relationships being built?

bluelightstar
10-27-2019, 10:04 PM
Do we have issues within the AD Dept? Are we being dicks to former players? Are there no relationships being built?

I doubt this is an Athletic Department issue, but Banks, Dixon, and some others tweeted after one of our losses about how the former players are treated by the Moorhead regime.

DownwardDawg
10-27-2019, 10:34 PM
No need to be a dick. I rarely watch professional sports.

He can?t help it.

Homedawg
10-27-2019, 10:53 PM

That's the point and we don't have 5000000 nfl starters. Bama does. Hell than can have one a game do it and I wouldn't know or pay attention. However, we, more than anyone need our name promoted!!! 3 starters in one game and 2 dont mention it.... not calling them bad guys, not at all, but damn we need our name out. If it doesn't help then it doesn't. But I know it doesn't hurt!!!!

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
10-28-2019, 06:07 AM
That's the point and we don't have 5000000 nfl starters. Bama does. Hell than can have one a game do it and I wouldn't know or pay attention. However, we, more than anyone need our name promoted!!! 3 starters in one game and 2 dont mention it.... not calling them bad guys, not at all, but damn we need our name out. If it doesn't help then it doesn't. But I know it doesn't hurt!!!!

It hurts recruiting much more than a dumb message board post, that's for sure. We know Fletcher's reason, but I'd be curious to know the others. Wasn't Jenkins a last minute pickup close to signing day?

MedDawg
10-28-2019, 08:44 AM
Just curious if Jenkins always says Clarkesdale or just tonight. I like how Dak says hail State. Still waiting on the day Cox says it. I'm not holding my breath though.

I'm pretty sure the players make one intro and the NFL uses it for a whole season. I wouldn't doubt the NFL is using the same Cox intro from last year or two years ago. Did Dak say Hail State last year? His might be the same, too.

Ari Gold
10-28-2019, 08:51 AM
I doubt this is an Athletic Department issue, but Banks, Dixon, and some others tweeted after one of our losses about how the former players are treated by the Moorhead regime.

Not sure how the staff treats former players but I know for a fact When it comes to sideline passes ect it has nothing to do with this staff... I could go on about that but I’m not .. it’s embarrassing
and with Banks he was going to be a part of Joes staff a couple of years ago but things couldn’t be worked out , so his beef if he has one might be with the on the field results.
And Dixon is at every game on the sideline so I don’t see what his issue is.

Ari Gold
10-28-2019, 09:02 AM
And back to the Sunday night intros. Yes it would be great if every player said our name , wore a MS baseball hat , said hail state like Dak, but it’s not that big an issue. And fans getting pissed about it makes it worse.

We should be more focused on getting these players to kick back cash to the program when they get that first big check. If they are doing that , they can say their pop warner team name for all I care. Them being around the program in the off season and the spring and summer is 100x more important than saying Yazoo city high school on TV

Players know where most of these nfl guys went to college, fans may not , but players do
And I doubt that a 4 or 5 star OL from Georgia gives a shit where Jenkins played college football or says to himself Jenkins played at MSU and didn’t say their name. I’m not visiting there now..

If we want to get our brand out there better, how about the athletic department and sports marketing departments starting ripping ass every time ESPN and even SEC network screws up our name, mascot, wrong university ect..
Perfect example is the Finbaum clown show here last week. At least JC fought back , good look or bad look, at least he sounded pissed off .
It a ****ing shame that non talented hack is part of the SEC network

BrunswickDawg
10-28-2019, 09:09 AM
And back to the Sunday night intros. Yes it would be great if every player said our name , wore a MS baseball hat , said hail state like Dak, but it’s not that big an issue. And fans getting pissed about it makes it worse.

We should be more focused on getting these players to kick back cash to the program when they get that first big check. If they are doing that , they can say their pop warner team name for all I care. Them being around the program in the off season and the spring and summer is 100x more important than saying Yazoo city high school on TV

Players know where most of these nfl guys went to college, fans may not , but players do
And I doubt that a 4 or 5 star OL from Georgia gives a shit where Jenkins played college football or says to himself Jenkins played at MSU and didn’t say their name. I’m not visiting there now..

If we want to get our brand out there better, how about the athletic department and sports marketing departments starting ripping ass every time ESPN and even SEC network screws up our name, mascot, wrong university ect...

https://media2.giphy.com/media/kHaO6UoYcoC3K/giphy.gif

gtowndawg
10-28-2019, 09:46 AM
I'm not going to lie, it irritates me. I watch with my young sons and I'll say "hey, such and such played at State" and then in the introductions they won't mention State? My kids notice everyone else says a college expect our players. If a 11 and 9 year old wonder why, I imagine others do to. Bama, Miami, Ohio St. players never do it (although I'm open to correction since I don't watch every game). But it seems specific to us for whatever reason.

Do Ole Miss players says their high school? I really have no idea, just asking.

TheLostDawg
10-28-2019, 11:20 AM
I was just curious. Whoever said they know Cox reason please tell me if appropriate. I really am curious. I'm sure most would like the players to say Mississippi State and promote our brand but I don't think anyone is mad when they don't.
I'm curious why others don't. They might just like giving their home town a shout-out. That's fine but if it's something on our end, we should do something to fix it. No Dak said Mississippi State last year. This is his first year saying Hail State. I hope that becomes a trend. That would stick out in my opinion and have people look it up why don't know which should help it stick with them longer. I see the baseball players in the box during football season, which I know it's their off season now but do we have this in other sports. Are our NFL playoffs given good treatment and encouraged to come back for basketball and baseball season. I feel like we should be doing a better job with outreach with them. They are the ones making the big money after all. I hate to put it that way but when you look at LSU locker room and look at ours, we need all the help we can get.

BrunswickDawg
10-28-2019, 12:55 PM
You would think people would get over something so trivial that has been happening for a decade:

Earliest article I can find from 2010:
https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052748703377504575650743664340932

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/balitmore-ravens/nfl-players-play-name-game-introductions

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2018/9/9/17402796/player-introductions-primetime-football-nbc-sunday-night-football

https://www.complex.com/sports/2018/12/nfl-wakanda-tech-russell-okung-sunday-night-football

smootness
10-28-2019, 01:12 PM
Players from all schools say this from time to time. It is a complete non-issue.

Greg Hardy said he was from Hogwarts.

Ari Gold
10-28-2019, 03:11 PM
You need an interpreter to understand what OBJ says ..