PDA

View Full Version : GM Elite Dawgs; new to the board; questions for anyone familiar with S&C Programs

OLJWales
10-27-2019, 11:18 AM
been lurking a while and had something on my mind that I wanted to ask about since I'm not very knowledgeable about this topic.

I remember when Mullen first hired on, he said the first thing he did was hire the best available S&C Coach he could find and from what I remember, he ended up fortunately with one of the best in the land. (stole him from UVA?) He said it was the most important and best thing he could have done while getting all of the on-boarding stuff done.

He ended up fielding (IMO) the best 5-6 team in the land that year faced with the #1 toughest schedule in the country. We got screwed in the Houston game and for the first time since the John Bond days, I saw a MSU team blowing through LSU's OL & DL. Still pisses me off to this day losing that damned game.

My question though is doesn't a S&C coach evaluate each player and determine where they need to be once returning in the Spring and Fall? How many 225 lb benches, squats, etc if he thinks there is room for improvement? I would think that a good S&C coach can properly evaluate an individual based on his physical make up and what the potential is and set the proper goals for that player. Of course nothing is worse in all aspects of life where the leader / manager/ coach makes unrealistic goals which can be an enthusiasm drain and only create frustration.

But don't players have off-season requirements? Increasing the # of miles they can run and whatnot? Over weight? maybe read the South Beach Diet book and adhere to it?

I'm just wondering if maybe our S&C program is weak, our players may have sat on their asses during the off season eating pizza. If I'm right, maybe the S&C program is indeed the foundation of a sound team and we are not getting it done. Or am I wrong? Are S&C programs not that detailed? We seem awful soft right now and if that is the case, don't hold your breath waiting this year for it to get better because if they sat on their asses during the off season and showed up out of shape for the fall, it's just too damned late to fix that shit mid-season.

DownwardDawg
10-27-2019, 11:53 AM
You are spot on, but I’ll let some of the longer winded guys add content. BTW, this has been discussed extensively on this board. It’s our #1 issue if you ask most of us. And welcome to the board.

StarkVegasSteve
10-27-2019, 12:12 PM
It's just another reason Moorhead isn't right for this job or to lead a big time P5 program. Anyone could've seen the difference Piroli made with last years team. And instead of looking for the best possible replacement, we did the tired ole Mississippi State thing and promoted from within. The amount of injuries and limp offs we have on a game by game basis is absolutely astounding.

Coach34
10-27-2019, 12:28 PM
Sometimes a HC limits a S&C coach on the things he can demand of the players

TheLostDawg
10-27-2019, 12:35 PM
When is the earliest we can find a replacement

msstatelp1
10-27-2019, 12:49 PM
Sometimes a HC limits a S&C coach on the things he can demand of the players

Any insight as to if this is the case and if so, is Bichey worth keeping?

Todd4State
10-27-2019, 01:12 PM
Sometimes it’s best for a football coach to allow his S&C staff to do the things that they are trained to do.

S&C encompasses a lot of things- strength, endurance, flexibility, injury prevention and even self confidence.

All of which are issues for us. Bichey may or may not be very good but the buck stops with Moorhead. And if by chance Moorhead is interfering with the S&C staff he needs to stay the hell away from them.

defiantdog
10-27-2019, 01:46 PM
S&C Coaches need to be engaged with high energy. They also need to look the part..... our S&C Coach is not high energy and doesn't look the part. I'm sorry, but S&C coaches need to be as engaged in the weight room as the players. They need to be intimidating. Ours is not.