PDA

View Full Version : Can Someone Explain Why MSU People Fall in Love with Coaches?

ShotgunDawg
10-27-2019, 10:31 AM
I've never quite understood this about our fan base

Why do our people fall in love with coaches?

To me, coaches are hired mercenaries who's only tasks are to win games, build the brand of the university, & serve me the fan by putting a competent product on the field.

However, it's like many MSU fans think so little of themselves & their place in the world that they believe they owe that mercenary a debt of gratitude for doing a mediocre job in a position that pays him enough money to take care of generations of their family.

I've never understood the mentality.

Can someone who has that mentality explain it to me so that I can better understand where you are coming from?

Thanks

BrunswickDawg
10-27-2019, 11:34 AM
I think some it is us never having had a coaching "legend" that we can point to and say "we owe it all to X". It sounds stupid, but us and Vandy and UK are the only ones in the SEC I can think of that never had that 20-25 year guy, or championship caliber coach. Neyland, Bryant, Dooley, Broyles, Spurrier, Jordan, Vaught, et al. They all have names on stadiums or fields - while we have a track star from 100 years ago and a donor on ours.

Jack Lambert
10-27-2019, 11:37 AM
I don't think any one falls in love with a coach. We all want the same thing as State Fans. We want to win. Football is much more fun when we do. I have no problem firing coaches even after two years. I would not cry if they fired him tomorrow. I just want to be supportive during the season. When it is over the coach will be fire for loses and wins. Also doesn't really matter what we think unless one of we is a big money Contributor. My 1200.00 a year don't mean anything. That is nothing to them. If Moorhead has to go at the end of the season I think Cohen will fire him and find the money. Lt probably would not but I think Cohen is a wild card. Heck he basically fire a baseball coach after getting the team to the CWS. So who knows what he would do. 9 million if that is the buy out isn't that much money. Heck if Mullen had stayed this season he would be a six million dollar coach.

Coursesuper
10-27-2019, 11:48 AM
I think the level of coach love that we are seeing is in direct correlation to amount of propaganda that is pumped from the athletic department thru the fan media. You will know it's over when Rosey and the gang begin to turn on a coach.

Rick Danko
10-27-2019, 11:55 AM
Can you explain why you start a new thread every 15 minutes complaining or questioning. Do you not have anything else to do with your time?

HereComesTheSpiral
10-27-2019, 11:59 AM
Can you explain why you start a new thread every 15 minutes complaining or questioning. Do you not have anything else to do with your time?

He does not.

Katdoc12
10-27-2019, 12:50 PM
Stockholm syndrome.

Todd4State
10-27-2019, 12:58 PM
Because MSU people are overly nice. And there’s that fear that they will look stupid if they are wrong or impatient.

Goes back to our casual fans don’t know how to win. They would rather be conservative and hope that it works out somehow than just hire someone new constantly.

maroonmania
10-27-2019, 02:30 PM
Just being honest, but I haven't seen much love for Moorhead from the MSU fanbase since he lost to Mullen last year in Starkville. Now this season its become openly hostile.

dawgs
10-27-2019, 02:38 PM
Just being honest, but I haven't seen much love for Moorhead from the MSU fanbase since he lost to Mullen last year in Starkville. Now this season its become openly hostile.

Yeah, agreed. Not sure what faction of MSU fans are "in love" with Moorhead. I live thousands of miles away, but from what I see on here, from social media, and from fans I'm in regular contact, at best you get folks saying to support the program even if you don't like Moorhead. Certainly no one is defending the job he's done.