PDA

View Full Version : Why Did Byrne Fire Croom 1 Year Removed From an 8-5 Season?

ShotgunDawg
10-27-2019, 09:09 AM
Croom built the program for 3 years and then went 8-5 and then 4-8 with a really good recruiting class mostly committed. Do you not think there were injuries in 2008 or unfair circumstances?

Why did Byrne fire him? Why didn't he give him 1 more year to see if he could rebound after somewhat building the program?

You know why? because he saw that Croom sucked as a head coach. That's why. Once you know that, don't wait another minute.

Same thing here.

Spiderman
10-27-2019, 09:18 AM
Croom built the program for 3 years and then went 8-5 with a really good recruiting class mostly committed.

Why did Byrne fire him? Why didn't he give him 1 more year to see if he could rebound after somewhat building the program?

You why: because he saw that Croom sucked as a head coach. That's why. Once you know that, don't wait another minute.

Same thing here.

yep

HoopsDawg
10-27-2019, 09:27 AM
Houston fired Applewhite after 2 years.

Coursesuper
10-27-2019, 09:28 AM
Croom built the program for 3 years and then went 8-5 and then 4-8 with a really good recruiting class mostly committed. Do you not think there were injuries in 2008 or unfair circumstances?

You know why? because he saw that Croom sucked as a head coach. That's why. Once you know that, don't wait another minute.

Same thing here.

Because he was told he would do it.

Maroonthirteen
10-27-2019, 09:31 AM
That.....but i still think the absolute beating to OM and his flippant attitude at the post game really really pissed people off and Byrne made the decision that day.

Moorhead has 3 games. If we allow Arkansas their first sec win in years AND lose the Egg Bowl.... Moorhead willl have his 2008 egg bowl moment(s).

basedog
10-27-2019, 09:37 AM
Croom was told he needed to make coaching changes such as McCorvey, he refused and the rest is history.

As far as a new coach in our future, many on here are throwing out names, but I can tell everyone when the day comes that we either fire Joe or he resigns, there will be Coaches to emerge that no one has mentioned.

I watched Memphis last night, they have play makers but are awful on defense. Me myself and I ain't all hyped up about Norvel, yes he may be better than Joe but there seems to be around 120 D1 HC that may be better right now.

I'm betting we hire an assistant, just saying and guessing, none of us really no if we find another winner. We are what we are.

defiantdog
10-27-2019, 09:37 AM
Ticket sales speak more than words as well. Croom could barely get 40,000 in a stadium. The ninja knew he needed a change to produce more ticket sales. No matter how you put it, it?s always about money.

DownwardDawg
10-27-2019, 09:40 AM
Yep. You nailed it. Just to add, Croom was gonna be gone the year before had he not managed to win 7. Nobody expected him to beat Bama or ole miss that year. It was a surprise to our AD. I know this as fact.

ShotgunDawg
10-27-2019, 09:42 AM
Croom was told he needed to make coaching changes such as McCorvey, he refused and the rest is history..

Not true. Following 2008, Croom had Al Borges all but hired. He was ready to make the proper adjustments. It took him too long, but he still was about to make changes

DownwardDawg
10-27-2019, 09:45 AM
Croom was told he needed to make coaching changes such as McCorvey, he refused and the rest is history.

As far as a new coach in our future, many on here are throwing out names, but I can tell everyone when the day comes that we either fire Joe or he resigns, there will be Coaches to emerge that no one has mentioned.

I watched Memphis last night, they have play makers but are awful on defense. Me myself and I ain't all hyped up about Norvel, yes he may be better than Joe but there seems to be around 120 D1 HC that may be better right now.

I'm betting we hire an assistant, just saying and guessing, none of us really no if we find another winner. We are what we are.

Norvell is the opposite of what I want.

Cooterpoot
10-27-2019, 09:47 AM
Because he was the only “outsider” AD we’ve had and he wasn’t going to count pennies and kiss asses. He was doing his damn job, history and stupid conservative MSU approach be damned. I’m as disappointed in our overall leadership as I’ve been in along time. We’ve gone back to that conservative BS approach.

DownwardDawg
10-27-2019, 09:47 AM
Not true. Following 2008, Croom had Al Borges all but hired. He was ready to make the proper adjustments. It took him too long, but he still was about to make changes

But it wasn’t the proper adjustment. He was still gonna run the WCO. Byrne told him emphatically that he would switch to the spread offense or move on.

ShotgunDawg
10-27-2019, 09:48 AM
Yep. You nailed it. Just to add, Croom was gonna be gone the year before had he not managed to win 7. Nobody expected him to beat Bama or ole miss that year. It was a surprise to our AD. I know this as fact.

And this brings up a larger point. Once you know a guy isn't the right guy, you're only delaying the inevitable. You only delaying the firing by a year or 2 & that helps no one.

Folks, when you hire the right guy, it's pretty obvious in year 1. They reveal themselves.

in 2009, with Croom's players, Mullen scored: 24 on Auburn, 26 vs LSU, 31 vs GT, and 41 vs OM.

In Hugh Freeze's first year at OM in 2012 OM scored: 31 on Texas, 41 vs Auburn, 30 vs Arkansas, and 35 vs LSU.

This isn't rocket science. They either got it or they don't

basedog
10-27-2019, 09:50 AM

Well Croom had stated he wasn't going to fire McCorvey, so whatever.

basedog
10-27-2019, 09:52 AM
And this brings up a larger point. Once you know a guy isn't the right guy, you're only delaying the inevitable. You only delaying the firing by a year or 2 & that helps no one.

Folks, when you hire the right guy, it's pretty obvious in year 1. They reveal themselves.

in 2009, with Croom's players, Mullen scored: 24 on Auburn, 26 vs LSU, 31 vs GT, and 41 vs OM.

In Hugh Freeze's first year at OM in 2012 OM scored: 31 on Texas, 41 vs Auburn, 30 vs Arkansas, and 35 vs LSU.

This isn't rocket science. They either got it or they don't

All depends, some schools or places take time, some don't Not every school in America will be a "winner", kinda like the Sec, we have the have's and the have not's.

It's like this in every sport!

ShotgunDawg
10-27-2019, 09:57 AM
All depends, some schools or places take time, some don't Not every school in America will be a "winner", kinda like the Sec, we have the have's and the have not's.

It's like this in every sport!

But it didn't take Mullen or Freeze any time at all to show that things were getting better.

basedog
10-27-2019, 10:06 AM
But it didn't take Mullen or Freeze any time at all to show that things were getting better.

And how many ******* have we hired? Many on here were calling for Mullen's head cause he couldn't win the big games. He was one of our best Coaches no doubt, but look at his Sec record. Win can win but winning enough Sec games is IFFY.

Not many Coaches survive very long in the Sec, fact is it's getting this way in every conference. Social media and TV have changed perception.

btw, Shotgun, not sure where or who your source is or was on Croom but I can tell you I have two "Cigar Boy" friends, they both say Croom wouldn't change. I hear a lot but no way I would post things on here, some could be just talk or rumors but most are correct.

Cooterpoot
10-27-2019, 10:12 AM

They don’t want to hear that. I’ve been saying it for awhile and get blasted. We’ve got a lot of short-sighted fans that can’t see outside a hundred mile radius.

defiantdog
10-27-2019, 10:35 AM
And how many ******* have we hired? Many on here were calling for Mullen's head cause he couldn't win the big games. He was one of our best Coaches no doubt, but look at his Sec record. Win can win but winning enough Sec games is IFFY.

Not many Coaches survive very long in the Sec, fact is it's getting this way in every conference. Social media and TV have changed perception.

btw, Shotgun, not sure where or who your source is or was on Croom but I can tell you I have two "Cigar Boy" friends, they both say Croom wouldn't change. I hear a lot but no way I would post things on here, some could be just talk or rumors but most are correct.
Croom wouldn?t play the game..... he was stuck in his ways. And yes, a few said they would quit sending money if we didn?t make a change.

Mjoelner34
10-27-2019, 11:07 AM
Easy answer. Because anyone not wearing maroon colored glasses realized we were really a 4-7 team that 3, unscripted, fluke plays made 7-4.

tcdog70
10-27-2019, 11:17 AM
Should have fired Sly when after the Maine game he said "I knew we would lose ,Maine had the better team."

R2Dawg
10-27-2019, 01:38 PM
Easy answer. Because anyone not wearing maroon colored glasses realized we were really a 4-7 team that 3, unscripted, fluke plays made 7-4.

True, Croom had not built anything in 5 years. We were the Vandy of SECW and were going to be stuck there. Greg B. saved MSU for over a decade.

shoeless joe
10-27-2019, 01:39 PM
Well Croom had stated he wasn't going to fire McCorvey, so whatever.

If Croom had been our coach in 09 borges would have been our OC. This is a fairly well known fact.

shoeless joe
10-27-2019, 01:41 PM
True, Croom had not built anything in 5 years. We were the Vandy of SECW and were going to be stuck there. Greg B. saved MSU for over a decade.

And then Cohen hired a guy that has made folks remove Croom from the list of worst MSU coach in 30 years

lastmajordog
10-27-2019, 01:43 PM
delete

confucius say
10-27-2019, 01:53 PM
croom went 3-8; 3-8; 3-9; 7-5; 4-8.

That is why he was fired. One 7-5 season does not make up for four horrid losing seasons.

Joe does not even have a losing season yet. Let the season play out and see where things stand at that point.

Same message as when were 2-5 in 2016 and this place was screaming to fire Dan.

Really Clark?
10-27-2019, 02:00 PM

That is why he was fired. One 7-5 season does not make up for four horrid losing seasons.

Joe does not even have a losing season yet. Let the season play out and see where things stand at that point.

There were some like that in 2016 but the vast majority were not for firing him. He had already built up too much good will and laid a ton of program building. Even ones who wanted him gone, were much more of the mindset that he needed to move on but we could not and should not fire him in 2016. Plus the offense was already starting to show up by the 7th game and Fitz earned a lot with the BYU game. Last second 51 FG is what it took for Kentucky to beat us and we scored 38 that game. By then it was obvious that Sirmon had to go.

maroonmania
10-27-2019, 02:04 PM

Same thing here.

Croom never had an offense finish above 100th in total offense. The only reason we had the 8-5 season was because the defense scored about half the points that year. After 5 consistent years of that what else did Byrne need to see?

viverlibre
10-27-2019, 02:22 PM

I was about to post this, fluke wins proped up that 8-5 season. People forget that.

Spiderman
10-28-2019, 09:16 AM

No one, NO ONE, with any sense at all wanted Mullen fired mid season of any season he was here. If they did, they were idiots.

confucius say
10-28-2019, 09:36 AM
No one, NO ONE, with any sense at all wanted Mullen fired mid season of any season he was here. If they did, they were idiots.

Oh I agree. But some prominent posters on here did. C34 said he would prefer Dan not return as our coach

Spiderman
10-28-2019, 10:39 AM
Oh I agree. But some prominent posters on here did. C34 said he would prefer Dan not return as our coach

Not return is a long way from a mid season firing. Full disclosure, I never at any point wanted Mullen fired or to leave.

Did I get pissed at him? Sure. Bama fans get pissed at Saban sometimes. That's just fans. But I never thought he should be fired at any point of his tenure.