PDA

View Full Version : Here is difference in Mullen and Moorhead how things were handled and wanting them

R2Dawg
10-27-2019, 08:36 AM
gone.

First how they handled new job.
Mullen said he would use the talent we had and tailor his O to fit our talent. He used Tyson Lee and Relf to produce competitive teams and even winning teams. Mullen said we have to change the culture and he was right to some degree after 5 years of Croom. Mullen even brought in JWS to embrace our history of winning. Mullen talked about the great amount of talent in MS. Bottom line Mullen got behind who MSU is. He had the players believe in the team leadership that was there.

Moorhead said we have to change the culture and build a program. Not true after 9 straight bowl games. He didn't use the talent we had, it was force a square peg in a round hole. KT was the veteran leader to take over QB. Moorhead pulled the vested leadership from its position and inserted his guy who has been a failure. That move alone may have been the most destructive for him to lose this team.

Now on the everyone wanted to fire Mullen a couple different times. Not the same either. Mullen was 5-7 his first year and everyone was fine with that because the trajectory was going up and he made us proud by the product on the field. They competed every game and by a few plays could have won 3-4 more games. Moorhead the opposite. He has lost the team and program in year two with a complete negative trajectory.

Now wanting Mullen gone in the end was due to Mullen tanking on the team looking for other jobs.

1bigdawg
10-27-2019, 09:25 AM
gone.

First how they handled new job.
Mullen said he would use the talent we had and tailor his O to fit our talent. He used Tyson Lee and Relf to produce competitive teams and even winning teams. Mullen said we have to change the culture and he was right to some degree after 5 years of Croom. Mullen even brought in JWS to embrace our history of winning. Mullen talked about the great amount of talent in MS. Bottom line Mullen got behind who MSU is. He had the players believe in the team leadership that was there.

Moorhead said we have to change the culture and build a program. Not true after 9 straight bowl games. He didn't use the talent we had, it was force a square peg in a round hole. KT was the veteran leader to take over QB. Moorhead pulled the vested leadership from its position and inserted his guy who has been a failure. That move alone may have been the most destructive for him to lose this team.

Now on the everyone wanted to fire Mullen a couple different times. Not the same either. Mullen was 5-7 his first year and everyone was fine with that because the trajectory was going up and he made us proud by the product on the field. They competed every game and by a few plays could have won 3-4 more games. Moorhead the opposite. He has lost the team and program in year two with a complete negative trajectory.

Now wanting Mullen gone in the end was due to Mullen tanking on the team looking for other jobs.

I was only mad at Mullen for always looking for another job at the end ofthe season. He mailed in a couple Ole Miss games that he would have won had he not been distracted.

WinningIsRelentless
10-27-2019, 09:33 AM
I was only mad at Mullen for always looking for another job at the end ofthe season. He mailed in a couple Ole Miss games that he would have won had he not been distracted.
Let me fill you in on a little secret. Moorehead?s refusal to tailor the offense to his players is 100% him thinking his offense is what will get him his next big job.

ShotgunDawg
10-27-2019, 09:36 AM
Mullen not being 100% committed to MSU will go down as one of the biggest "what ifs" in MSU history.

We got a 80% of Mullen. Not the full boat.

ShotgunDawg
10-27-2019, 09:39 AM
Let me fill you in on a little secret. Moorehead?s refusal to tailor the offense to his players is 100% him thinking his offense is what will get him his next big job.

MSU must always hire the best possible coach it can get, but I don't believe the program will ever reach it's full potential until we find the guy that WANTS TO BE AT MSU FOR GOOD.

Now, you can't hire a lesser coach for this reason, but it sure would be nice if at some point along the way the best coach also happened to be an MSU guy.

It's also why I think MSU owes it to themselves to always interview the MSU guys even if you don't hire them. Don't think we should hire Hud or Joey Judge with our next hire, but I'd damn sure interview them both just to make sure we aren't missing something obvious

Tbonewannabe
10-27-2019, 09:45 AM
Mullen not being 100% committed to MSU will go down as one of the biggest "what ifs" in MSU history.

UF is getting more of a 100% Mullen and they have a chance at the SEC title game in his 2nd year.

dawgday166
10-27-2019, 09:48 AM
UF is getting more of a 100% Mullen and they have a chance at the SEC title game in his 2nd year.

If FL can get healthy on D, I think there's a decent chance they beat Ga.

WinningIsRelentless
10-27-2019, 10:03 AM
MSU must always hire the best possible coach it can get, but I don't believe the program will ever reach it's full potential until we find the guy that WANTS TO BE AT MSU FOR GOOD.

Now, you can't hire a lesser coach for this reason, but it sure would be nice if at some point along the way the best coach also happened to be an MSU guy.

It's also why I think MSU owes it to themselves to always interview the MSU guys even if you don't hire them. Don't think we should hire Hud or Joey Judge with our next hire, but I'd damn sure interview them both just to make sure we aren't missing something obvious

Oh so someone like Scott Strickland? You don?t get anymore of a MSU guy than that and he left for FL. The reality of it is, people in high positions like that have a self life before it?s time to move on to different things. Of course their will be that rare case like Saban or in the professional world Warren Buffett, but in most cases a self life is the real thing.

The best thing we can do is make what we feel is the best possible hire at the time and go with it. But if it is clear in the future we made the wrong hire then we don?t need to drag our feet to cut bait.

DownwardDawg
10-27-2019, 10:19 AM

I agree. Big time “what if”.

R2Dawg
10-27-2019, 01:31 PM

I agree. I think this is what made JWS such a great coach at MSU. He was true maroon all the way and for the most part showed MSU how to win by playing MSU football - smash mouth, power football. Not saying we need to return to that but fielding tough hard nosed teams is who we are.

maroonmania
10-27-2019, 02:42 PM

Mullen always had one foot out the door at MSU which limited what he could accomplish. While Mullen will never be a dedicated recruiter there is enough talent available in Florida that he doesn't have to be. The other thing making Mullen better now is he doesn't have the DC position revolving door going on at FL like he had here. Will be interested to see if it goes back to that even at FL if Grantham leaves for some reason. Not a lot of DCs apparently want to work with Mullen.

Todd4State
10-27-2019, 02:52 PM
Only a matter of time before someone like Spurrier makes Dan mad and then he will try to go to the NFL. Year two was Dan’s highwater mark at MSU as far as being 100% in at MSU and not looking around.

BrunswickDawg
10-27-2019, 02:57 PM
I agree. I think this is what made JWS such a great coach at MSU. He was true maroon all the way and for the most part showed MSU how to win by playing MSU football - smash mouth, power football. Not saying we need to return to that but fielding tough hard nosed teams is who we are.

No disrespect to The Kang - but he was so "true maroon" he twice tried to get the Bama job and at least 1 NFL gig.

OLJWales
10-27-2019, 03:06 PM
Mullen always had one foot out the door at MSU which limited what he could accomplish. While Mullen will never be a dedicated recruiter there is enough talent available in Florida that he doesn't have to be. The other thing making Mullen better now is he doesn't have the DC position revolving door going on at FL like he had here. Will be interested to see if it goes back to that even at FL if Grantham leaves for some reason. Not a lot of DCs apparently want to work with Mullen.

This. You don't chew out your DC during a game while the team is watching. This is one of the reasons Mullen will never be elite if he doesn't have the restraint to control this type of behavior. You take individuals to the side to chew ass, not a public spectacle .

Really Clark?
10-27-2019, 05:20 PM
This. You don't chew out your DC during a game while the team is watching. This is one of the reasons Mullen will never be elite if he doesn't have the restraint to control this type of behavior. You take individuals to the side to chew ass, not a public spectacle .

My goodness...you see coaches all over chewing out their staff during a game. Saban and Dabo have both done so during a game. Not to mention what they say on the headsets to each other. That is way more common and a non-factor with players

Dawg2003
10-28-2019, 05:32 AM
Everyone is always looking for a better job. That's just human nature.

BeastMan
10-28-2019, 07:31 AM
Only a matter of time before someone like Spurrier makes Dan mad and then he will try to go to the NFL. Year two was Dan’s highwater mark at MSU as far as being 100% in at MSU and not looking around.

He interviewed with Miami and would have left had they offered the job. He bombed the interview

Kingbarkus
10-28-2019, 08:15 AM
Moorhead violated the coaching unwritten rules when coming into a program. You never talk of changing the culture when the previous coach did not get fired but left on his own. Mullen would be here with a new contract if the AD had his way. There are other "Mullen's" out there. You have to find them. Cohen probably thought he had that in Moorhead, but has failed bigly. It happens. Time to cut our losses and move on. I know what we have with Moorhead. I don't know what we have with the unknown going forward. WE MUST MAKE A CHANGE else the hole gets deeper. The program slides closer to the abyss if we don't.