PDA

View Full Version : possible new coaches

colliervilledawg
10-27-2019, 05:03 AM
So who is the best possible coach that we could realistically get?

Dawgfan77
10-27-2019, 08:01 AM
Napier or Norvel. I wouldn?t be upset with Clark but I?d prefer younger and more dynamic
If we have to go retread I?d say Todd Graham. Won at Tulsa Pitt and ASU

timotheus
10-27-2019, 08:07 AM
At this point any change would be in a positive direction. The process needs more folks than Cohen involved in the interview/search process.

Turfdawg67
10-27-2019, 08:14 AM
Dude, there are 5-7 threads regarding this. Just scroll down or click the next page.

Quaoarsking
10-27-2019, 08:16 AM
You can ignore the first group if you don't want the huge huge longshots:

Here's some names off the top of my head. Not an exhaustive list, and many of them may not be interested anyway. I don't necessarily advocate everyone on the list.

Group 1 - Worth a call, but don't get your hopes up
Urban Meyer
Mark Richt
Bob Stoops

Group 2 - Potentially a solid hire (already head coaches)
Blake Anderson
Craig Bohl
Kendall Briles
Bill Clark
Dave Clawson
Luke Fickell
Willie Fritz
Bryan Harsin
Josh Heupel
Jay Hill (Weber State HC)
Lance Leipold
Seth Littrell
Jeff Monken
Billy Napier
Mike Norvell
Nick Rolovich
Jake Spavital

Group 3 - The Coordinators
Dave Aranda
Todd Grantham
Graham Harrell
Bob Shoop
Brent Venables

Group 4 - The Retreads
Gene Chizik
Sonny Dykes (fired by Cal, but was a terrible fit there)
Hugh Freeze (personally I'd rather keep Moorhead)
Mark Helfrich (37-16 / 24-12 Pac-12 with a playoff appearance)
Skip Holtz
Lane Kiffin
Jim McElwain (22-12 / 16-8 SEC with 2 division titles)
Willie Taggart (I know, but he's been good at other jobs)

Group 5 - Already have a good/better job and probably wouldn't come, but worth asking
Dino Babers
Matt Campbell
PJ Fleck
Mike Leach
Les Miles (OK, Kansas is an awful job, but I doubt he would leave them so soon for us)
Gary Patterson
Kyle Whittingham

HoopsDawg
10-27-2019, 09:03 AM
Let me simplify:

1. Have firm contact Matt Rhule, Jeff Brohm, Dave Clawson, and Matt Campbell first.

2. Move on to Blake Anderson, Mike Norvell, Billy Napier. I think we can get any of these guys and all can coach.

3. All else fails, Bill Clark...then desperation Lane Kiffin.

Dawgfan77
10-27-2019, 09:36 AM
Let me simplify:

1. Have firm contact Matt Rhule, Jeff Brohm, Dave Clawson, and Matt Campbell first.

2. Move on to Blake Anderson, Mike Norvell, Billy Napier. I think we can get any of these guys and all can coach.

Anderson most his wife this year and I?m not sure he would leave ASU

HoopsDawg
10-27-2019, 09:40 AM
Anderson most his wife this year and I?m not sure he would leave ASU

Last I looked, he's only making 1 mill. May be more now. Might be looking for a fresh start. Coached in MS before. I think he's a fit.

msudawg1200
10-27-2019, 09:43 AM
Napier or Norvel. I wouldn?t be upset with Clark but I?d prefer younger and more dynamic
If we have to go retread I?d say Todd Graham. Won at Tulsa Pitt and ASU

Hell to the no on Todd Graham. That guy is a total lying piece of shat. Go look at his history with other schools. I’d rather keep Sloppy than get Graham, and that’s saying a lot.

FriarsPoint
10-27-2019, 10:07 AM
Let me simplify:

Rhule not leaving Texas. Campbell is a no go too. Not sure on the other ones. Personally, I’d pass on Brohm, but that’s just me.

NeuteredDawg
10-27-2019, 10:10 AM
Go get Les Miles and his OC at Kansas. Convince Shoop to stay.

Go from there.

KB21
10-27-2019, 10:13 AM
Rhule not leaving Texas. Campbell is a no go too. Not sure on the other ones. Personally, I’d pass on Brohm, but that’s just me.

Rhule is eventually getting a NFL head coaching job. He would have been hired by the Jets had their GM not insisted on hiring the assistants himself.

StarkVegasSteve
10-27-2019, 10:17 AM

Go from there.

Yea let's go get the coach of 3-5 Kansas and don't bother looking at the coach of Kansas St. who not only beat us, but just beat the number 5 team in the country. If we're gonna get a coach from Kansas, lets go get the good one.

Cooterpoot
10-27-2019, 10:21 AM

Go from there.

Jesus

StarkVegasSteve
10-27-2019, 10:24 AM
I haven't seen his name mentioned any, but what about Mario Cristobal? He only makes 2.6 at Oregon. Now the buyout is steep, but if we could come to an agreement with him I feel like we have enough people who could cover it. Especially if it was to get rid of Moorhead.

NeuteredDawg
10-27-2019, 10:27 AM
Yea let's go get the coach of 3-5 Kansas and don't bother looking at the coach of Kansas St. who not only beat us, but just beat the number 5 team in the country. If we're gonna get a coach from Kansas, lets go get the good one.

KSU is a better job in a much better place to live.

Dawgfan77
10-27-2019, 10:37 AM
I haven't seen his name mentioned any, but what about Mario Cristobal? He only makes 2.6 at Oregon. Now the buyout is steep, but if we could come to an agreement with him I feel like we have enough people who could cover it. Especially if it was to get rid of Moorhead.

Oregon has more $$ than us. So put that pipe dream out of your mind.

Maroonthirteen
10-27-2019, 10:41 AM
Realistic? A lot will have to play out.

Go check the Arkansas and Missouri message boards. They are throwing out the same names. Maybe the ADs can team up and conduct panel interviews in Memphis. Then Rock Paper Scissors to decoded who selects their candidate first.

StarkVegasSteve
10-27-2019, 10:45 AM
Oregon has more $$ than us. So put that pipe dream out of your mind.

If he wants to coach in the SEC, then all Phil Knight's money won't mean one 17 thing, Being able to coach in the SEC is our one trump card that we can play. Coaches are all high ego people, they want to coach with the best. I could be wrong and probably am, but I think an SEC offer would intrigue him. Throw some money and the chance to be a HC in the best conference in college football and make him say no.

defiantdog
10-27-2019, 11:03 AM
If he wants to coach in the SEC, then all Phil Knight's money won't mean one 17 thing, Being able to coach in the SEC is our one trump card that we can play. Coaches are all high ego people, they want to coach with the best. I could be wrong and probably am, but I think an SEC offer would intrigue him. Throw some money and the chance to be a HC in the best conference in college football and make him say no.

Oregon is ranked #10 in the nation with a viable shot to win the PAC 12 conference every year and make it to the playoffs. We aren't intriguing anyone away from that.

KB21
10-27-2019, 11:12 AM
He may not be the best “fit”, but Mike Leach is gettable.

DawgFromOxford
10-27-2019, 11:25 AM
Tell PJ Fleck to row his boat on down to Starkville

Really Clark?
10-27-2019, 11:44 AM

Not realistic. He is not leaving his area and winning at Minn.

Guys the only possible P5 we might can get is Clawson. Everybody else are pipe dreams.

Luke Fickle at Cincinnati. Defensive guy and has done well. Need to look at how he would handle the offensive side but I like what he is doing.

Need to look at Arroyo (spent at year at USM before going to Tampa Bay Bucs) at Oregon. They have really added running the ball to what they do the last 2 years. Yurcich at Ohio State (was also OC at OKST for several years) now is learning under Wilson and Day. On the coordinator sides.

There are some others and it depends on what is the criteria you want for the next guy. Stabilizer coach who has a track record like Fritz, Clark, Clawson...younger up and comer that?s more of a gamble but you think has a higher up side.

ejdallas322
10-27-2019, 11:47 AM
We should’ve looked at Ryan Day before we even hired Moorhead which was also before Ohio State even thought abt a new head coach.

KB21
10-27-2019, 11:49 AM
We should’ve looked at Ryan Day before we even hired Moorhead which was also before Ohio State even thought abt a new head coach.

We did. The job was reportedly offered to Ryan Day, who turned it down.

Really Clark?
10-27-2019, 11:51 AM

He was our first choice and there were conversations. He decided against accepting

ejdallas322
10-27-2019, 11:52 AM
I think we should go after Brent Venables

ejdallas322
10-27-2019, 11:53 AM
Hire Joe Brady as offensive coordinator which is much higher than the position he has now, he is making a difference at LSU

Really Clark?
10-27-2019, 11:56 AM
I think we should go after Brent Venables

Not happening. If he was ever going to really push for a HC job, it would have been for KST last year. His Alma mater. He has consistently turned down offers to even interview. The bigger shock at this point is that he will consider a HC job. He looks like he will be another Bud Black and just want to handle a defense

Quaoarsking
10-27-2019, 12:01 PM
Hire Joe Brady as offensive coordinator which is much higher than the position he has now, he is making a difference at LSU

We aren't pulling him away from LSU unless we make him the head coach.

FriarsPoint
10-27-2019, 12:27 PM
Realistic hires we can make, that have head coaching experience, are guys like Napier, Norvell, dude at App
St......Erstwhile??? is that his name? Skip Holtz........that’s what you’re looking at. So anybody shitting on that level of coach is not being realistic.

Now..........two years ago it was a completely different story. Croomhead destroyed that.

Really Clark?
10-27-2019, 12:41 PM
Realistic hires we can make, that have head coaching experience, are guys like Napier, Norvell, dude at App
St......Erstwhile??? is that his name? Skip Holtz........that’s what you’re looking at. So anybody shitting on that level of coach is not being realistic.

Now..........two years ago it was a completely different story. Croomhead destroyed that.

Drinkwitz is the App St coach but this is his first year following Satterfield. I never want to pull a HC who is following a very successful HC until they have 3-4 years under their belt. You see a ton a average to bad coaches have a good first year because of what was already in place. There are a bunch of other guys you can include on that level. Just finding the right fit for our program and culture is more important.

Coursesuper
10-27-2019, 12:53 PM
If we are smart and not arrogant, I feel this search will be on G5 head guys and P5 coordinators. Again, if we are smart they will have SEC ties or at least have been working in the south and have been recruiting the MS juco system because that is as important our success as anything else. Other than that I don't have much faith in the current administration to not cock it up.

NCDawg
10-27-2019, 12:55 PM
Drinkwitz is the App St coach but this is his first year following Satterfield. I never want to pull a HC who is following a very successful HC until they have 3-4 years under their belt. You see a ton a average to bad coaches have a good first year because of what was already in place. There are a bunch of other guys you can include on that level. Just finding the right fit for our program and culture is more important.

Scott Satterfield would be a terrific hire, but I doubt if he would leave Louisville after just one year.

Really Clark?
10-27-2019, 01:00 PM
Scott Satterfield would be a terrific hire, but I doubt if he would leave Louisville after just one year.

No he won’t. Or after year 3, 4, 5....if he is successful at Louisville he is not leaving for our job. Not to mention Louisville has a bigger budget and could match any offer we could make.

CoachT14
10-27-2019, 01:51 PM

I want Fleck extremely bad. He just has IT. He's a fantastic motivator, can find talent where there is none, can find coaching talent where there is none, and can recruit really well. But I know we can't pull him, I imagine he's there at Minnesota for good or would only leave for an even bigger high profile job. One can dream though.

Realistically:
Bill Clark - reminds me a little of Fleck. Not sure about the recruiting angle though with him which is what scares me about him.
Luke Fickell - Tressell/Urban guy. Think he could be a really good guy from a defensive perspective, but my hesistancy with him is not sure about him on the offensive side. They were pretty good offensively this year, kind of average this year. Same QB and RB and a few WRs, but not sure about the OL.
Greg Schiano - No one has really mentioned him for us, but I think he'd do a fantastic job if we got him. Tennessee crucified him for no reason in my opinion.
Billy Napier - Saban/Dabo/Todd Graham - Could be a really good get for us: one just from an offensive perspective... it works and has worked almost every where he has been, two he is young and seems ready to take this step. If we don't get him now, he won't be there long I assume.
Bryan Harsin - He's a Boise guy, but the guy has continued and built on that Boise success. Money might could change things. Has worked for Chris Peterson, Mack Brown.

Possibly give interviews to:
Major Applewhite - Saban rehabilitation program
Eliah Drinkwitz - Young, unproven, but is continuing Satterfield's success something our current coach can't do.

Those are my top guys, in no particular order.

OLJWales
10-27-2019, 02:20 PM
KSU is a better job in a much better place to live.

huh?

DownwardDawg
10-27-2019, 02:20 PM
No he won’t. Or after year 3, 4, 5....if he is successful at Louisville he is not leaving for our job. Not to mention Louisville has a bigger budget and could match any offer we could make.

You really downplay our job. You seem to have that old LT mentality. State is a top 25 job in the country. Maybe top 20 or better.
SEC
Can pay $6 million/year or more if needed/warranted
Win 8 games a year, with some ups and downs sprinkled in, and you have job stability for life

NCDawg
10-27-2019, 02:21 PM
Eliah Drinkwitz is a name to be considered. He is a dynamic young coach with a 7-0 record at Appalachian State.

Really Clark?
10-27-2019, 03:37 PM
You really downplay our job. You seem to have that old LT mentality. State is a top 25 job in the country. Maybe top 20 or better.
SEC
Can pay $6 million/year or more if needed/warranted
Win 8 games a year, with some ups and downs sprinkled in, and you have job stability for life

No I’m not. But Louisville is 19th in the country in budget and in a power conference. It’s not realistic move for him. Also, he has a 6 year contract. The base is equal to us having to go to $5 MIL just to match. Louisville can match any offer and surpass because they can go more years than we can. It’s not old mentality, it’s about just now matching (or in this case below them in budget).