PDA

View Full Version : How have we regressed this much in just a few weeks?

Quaoarsking
10-26-2019, 08:36 PM
5 weeks ago, we beat Kentucky without the game ever being particularly in doubt. 6 weeks ago, we at least were competitive with the 5-2 Kansas State team that beat Oklahoma today and outgained them by nearly 100 yards.

I can't imagine us beating either of these teams today or even playing them close. Why have we completely collapsed over the course of a month? We weren't that bad in September, and in October, we are.

Turfdawg67
10-26-2019, 08:42 PM
The team has quit.

TrapGame
10-26-2019, 08:43 PM
Just a guess but I think the team knows Joe is looking to leave b/c other coaches are looking as well. This has destabilized the team. Coaches are distracted. They aren't giving their all. Joe can tell the team he isn't leaving by they went through this with Mullen and know the signs.

Commercecomet24
10-26-2019, 08:44 PM
I've been asking myself the same question. Only thing I can come
up with is there's a lot of apathy with the coaches and players. We have regressed badly and are not the same team we were just a few weeks ago. Mind boggling.

KOdawg1
10-26-2019, 08:45 PM
The team has quit.

Yep. You could look at their body language today. Even though Hill eventually had a good game, he looked like he would rather be anywhere else in that first quarter. Our defensive players were hoping that they wouldn't have to be the one to make a tackle. Jarrian Jones was too busy making sure his arm sleeve looked cool rather than making a tackle right in front of him. Our OL wanted to just get off the field. They've checked out.

dawgday166
10-26-2019, 08:46 PM
Just a guess but I think the team knows Joe is looking to leave b/c other coaches are looking as well. This has destabilized the team. Coaches are distracted. They aren't giving their all. Joe can tell the team he isn't leaving by they went through this with Mullen and know the signs.

I can believe this. You tend to get distracted when in a bad situation and you're looking to bolt.

ETA: And then you lose the team.

Tbonewannabe
10-26-2019, 08:51 PM
We were talking about it today. If this MSU team played the current UK team with Bowden at QB, I would think UK would win by 10. We are only competitive on offense when the other team gets a lead and is just trying to use the clock. If our defense had been able to keep A&M under 20 points, we probably wouldn't have scored today.

parabrave
10-26-2019, 08:52 PM
Team has got their collective heads up their 4th point of Contact. And it looks like Mizz is joining them,

dawgday166
10-26-2019, 08:54 PM
We were talking about it today. If this MSU team played the current UK team with Bowden at QB, I would think UK would win by 10. We are only competitive on offense when the other team gets a lead and is just trying to use the clock. If our defense had been able to keep A&M under 20 points, we probably wouldn't have scored today.

Joe will be all over some stats from this game at his Monday PC. He building something.

NCDawg
10-26-2019, 08:55 PM
Yep. You could look at their body language today. Even though Hill eventually had a good game, he looked like he would rather be anywhere else in that first quarter. Our defensive players were hoping that they wouldn't have to be the one to make a tackle. Jarrian Jones was too busy making sure his arm sleeve looked cool rather than making a tackle right in front of him. Our OL wanted to just get off the field. They've checked out.

This is the impression I got, also. No passion or will to win.

dawgday166
10-26-2019, 08:57 PM

Guidry loves those arm sleeves too. I'd take all that away from team myself, gloves included except for linemen.

TrapGame
10-26-2019, 08:57 PM
Joe will be all over some stats from this game at his Monday PC. He building something.

Yeah, get ready for the biggest load dung you've ever seen come Monday.

DownwardDawg
10-26-2019, 09:01 PM
Both those teams would kill us today.

KOdawg1
10-26-2019, 09:02 PM
Guidry loves those arm sleeves too. I'd take all that away from team myself, gloves included except for linemen.

It's not like they help our receivers hold onto the ball

dawgday166
10-26-2019, 09:02 PM
Yeah, get ready for the biggest load dung you've ever seen come Monday.

I want him to surprise me and not even mention stats. Know he will expound at length on stats from today tho cause they almost identical to TAM's. We making progress ***

RiverDawg
10-26-2019, 09:06 PM
He makes 250,000 a month. What do you think the DA is going to do?

dawgday166
10-26-2019, 09:17 PM
It's not like they help our receivers hold onto the ball

I don't like them myself. I hear they have a sticky residue on them these days but if so, it ain't helping. I'd be making them use their hands ... no gloves.

Liverpooldawg
10-26-2019, 09:57 PM
We haven't regressed. Some of us tried to tell y'all.

Todd4State
10-26-2019, 10:05 PM
We don’t play as well on the road.

Todd4State
10-26-2019, 10:06 PM

You’re the worst poster on here.

TimberBeast
10-26-2019, 10:18 PM

Yeah Kentucky would smoke us right now like it’s their job. I have zero faith that we beat Abilene Christian until I see it happen.

CadaverDawg
10-26-2019, 10:24 PM

http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/doc-rivers.gif

Liverpooldawg
10-26-2019, 10:29 PM
You?re the worst poster on here.

Why? Because I was not as wrong as most of y'all? I said 7-5 with a better chance at 6-6 than 8-4 going in. Y'all blasted me. We ain't doing 7-5. 6-6 is hanging by a thread. It's starting to look like I was way too optimistic, but not as much as you guys. I'd say the worst posters are the ones who have no grip on reality. I won't point fingers.

Coursesuper
10-26-2019, 10:30 PM

Really?

CoachT14
10-26-2019, 10:33 PM
I'd say the worst posters are the ones who have no grip on reality. I won't point fingers.

You just said that we haven't regressed at all this year. I'd say that's pretty close to not having a grip on reality. Everyone that isn't blind realizes this team is 10x worse than they were at the beginning of the year. That isn't to say we were any good then, but whatever we were then we sure are way worse now.

Liverpooldawg
10-26-2019, 10:34 PM
Really?

Yeah, really. We lost a TON off an 8-4 team. There was no reason at all to expect us to match that this year. Now if you are talking about from Mullen to now.....then yes. I took it to mean from the start of the year to now. We are the same team.

Commercecomet24
10-26-2019, 10:35 PM

This team is playing much worse than early in the season and it's not even debatable. It's clear as the nose on your face. If we play uk or KSU the way we've played the last 4 weeks we get blown out heck usm might've beat us.

Liverpooldawg
10-26-2019, 10:37 PM
You just said that we haven't regressed at all this year. I'd say that's pretty close to not having a grip on reality. Everyone that isn't blind realizes this team is 10x worse than they were at the beginning of the year. That isn't to say we were any good then, but whatever we were then we sure are way worse now.

The problem is nearly everyone here had totally unrealistic opinions of where we were at the start of the year. Evidently you did too. We lost a TON from last year and we looked like hot garbage against bad teams early on. We are playing SEC teams now and we look exactly the same. We haven't regressed. We sucked to begin with.

TrapGame
10-26-2019, 10:39 PM
Yeah, really. We lost a TON off an 8-4 team. There was no reason at all to expect us to match that this year. Now if you are talking about from Mullen to now.....then yes. I took it to mean from the start of the year to now. We are the same team.

You mean the 8-4 team that was the most talented in 20 years. If not for that defense we don't go 8-4. The offense from last year is still just as putrid.

Liverpooldawg
10-26-2019, 10:42 PM
This team is playing much worse than early in the season and it's not even debatable. It's clear as the nose on your face. If we play uk or KSU the way we've played the last 4 weeks we get blown out heck usm might've beat us.

Nope, same team, a few of us tried to tell you. Now you are hanging your hat on the mythical FACT that we are worse now than we were. We aren't. The teams we have played are better, therefore we lost. We will see how it goes from here. We obviously get killed in one of them. The other three are certainly no given, even Abilene. I ain't even trying to defend Joe, so don't even try that angle. He needs to go.

CoachT14
10-26-2019, 10:45 PM
The problem is nearly everyone here had totally unrealistic opinions of where we were at the start of the year. Evidently you did too. We lost a TON from last year and we looked like hot garbage against bad teams early on. We are playing SEC teams now and we look exactly the same. We haven't regressed. We sucked to begin with.

I said 7-5. 8-4 would be the best we could do with what we lost. But I didn't quite realize that Sloppy was this bad from a discipline standpoint. I'm pretty realistic with my expectations of Mississippi State. Last year was extremely underwhelming for me... Iowa game put me firmly in the I'm not sure category, but I chalked it up to Fitz. Coming into the season with the addition of the supposedly pretty good Tommy Stevens, I assumed we would look more like what I thought we would from an offensive perspective. But nope, by the time we played Tennessee, Sloppy was still making awful decisions and anyone could see that the discipline had significantly dropped. (despite this being pretty evident from game 1)

You're wrong, we weren't good, but we were serviceable. A half-decent coach has this team at worst 5-3. But we have sloppy who's worth at least 4 losses from straight incompetence. This team now is a complete dumpster fire: players "taking off" multiple plays a game, half-a$$ed effort on tackling/blocking, horrible special teams play, fat and out of shape. There's no accountability and it's obvious to anyone who has ever coached or had to lead before.

Mobile Bay
10-26-2019, 10:46 PM

We are going to lose to Abaline Christian. Mark it down.

Liverpooldawg
10-26-2019, 10:47 PM
You mean the 8-4 team that was the most talented in 20 years. If not for that defense we don't go 8-4. The offense from last year is still just as putrid.

It was the most talented DEFENSIVE team, maybe ever, at MSU. Joe Lee had the #1defense too, with similar results against a much weaker SEC. I agree on the offense. It's more than coaching though. That being said I won't even presume to defend Joe. We are starting to find out just how good Mullen is.

Liverpooldawg
10-26-2019, 10:52 PM
I said 7-5. 8-4 would be the best we could do with what we lost. But I didn't quite realize that Sloppy was this bad from a discipline standpoint. I'm pretty realistic with my expectations of Mississippi State. Last year was extremely underwhelming for me... Iowa game put me firmly in the I'm not sure category, but I chalked it up to Fitz. Coming into the season with the addition of the supposedly pretty good Tommy Stevens, I assumed we would look more like what I thought we would from an offensive perspective. But nope, by the time we played Tennessee, Sloppy was still making awful decisions and anyone could see that the discipline had significantly dropped. (despite this being pretty evident from game 1)

You're wrong, we weren't good, but we were serviceable. A half-decent coach has this team at worst 5-3. But we have sloppy who's worth at least 4 losses from straight incompetence. This team now is a complete dumpster fire: players "taking off" multiple plays a game, half-a$$ed effort on tackling/blocking, horrible special teams play, fat and out of shape. There's no accountability and it's obvious to anyone who has ever coached or had to lead before.

We don't have anything at all on offense man. The line is bad (they would be MUCH better under Heavesy, I agree) Hill has never been what his myth said, our WRs are bad, and we have inexperienced QBs. We lost the farm on defense.

CadaverDawg
10-26-2019, 10:54 PM
Liverpool always sets horrifically low expectations and then when guys like Joe inevitably fall on their face due to poor coaching, he can say "see!". But what he doesn't realize is that he ultimately is saying our head coach sucks before we even play a game, because in no universe under any circumstances should this team be any worse than 7-5 or 8-4 with the talent we have. But Joe continues to defy the sucking odds....So congrats to Liverpool on assuming our shitty coach would be even shittier than we all imagined before the season even started due to his "poor little mississippi state" mentality of always thinking we will suck and that it's still his childhood years of the 1920's.

Todd4State
10-26-2019, 10:56 PM
It was the most talented DEFENSIVE team, maybe ever, at MSU. Joe Lee had the #1defense too, with similar results against a much weaker SEC. I agree on the offense. It's more than coaching though. That being said I won't even presume to defend Joe. We are starting to find out just how good Mullen is.

Yeah- Dan was good because Joe is bad. The funny thing is as ?good? as Dan allegedly was he only had three years as good or better than Joe last year.

And that?s if you include 2015 and that?s debatable.

Todd4State
10-26-2019, 10:58 PM
Liverpool always sets horrifically low expectations and then when guys like Joe inevitably fall on their face due to poor coaching, he can say "see!". But what he doesn't realize is that he ultimately is saying our head coach sucks before we even play a game, because in no universe under any circumstances should this team be any worse than 7-5 or 8-4 with the talent we have. But Joe continues to defy the sucking odds....So congrats to Liverpool on assuming our shitty coach would be even shittier than we all imagined before the season even started due to his "poor little mississippi state" mentality of always thinking we will suck and that it's still his childhood years of the 1920's.

It’s all because we ran off Allyn McKeen in 1949. I would use sarcasterisks except he really said that one time.

TrapGame
10-26-2019, 10:58 PM

I can see your point about maroon colored glasses about this team. Even though losing some key pieces on defense we look unprepared, unfocused and just plain weak. There has been zero improvement this season. I think some may see this more as regression, and I mostly agree, but the lack of improvement from game one to game eight is pretty startling. Like I posted in this thread I believe the asst. coaches are more worried about their futures than coaching in the present. The players see it. They know what's going on. They are playing as hard as they are being coached right now.

Todd4State
10-26-2019, 11:00 PM
We don't have anything at all on offense man. The line is bad (they would be MUCH better under Heavesy, I agree) Hill has never been what his myth said, our WRs are bad, and we have inexperienced QBs. We lost the farm on defense.

Those ARE Hevesy’s linemen. And no they wouldn’t be better. See 2015. If he was that good of a coach he would have moved away from Dan years ago.

Coursesuper
10-26-2019, 11:02 PM

I've seen a whole lot of football and worked way to many games like the one today and they are miserable to work. This has never been a "team" really more like 11 individuals in the same costume. And I can see your point about this is the same "team" that started the year. But you have to admit the quit is strong with this bunch and getting stronger as they go, they definitely aren't going to fight for the last biscuit on the plate. Wait, they would for that, but not much more and they definitely won't fight for th guy next to them.

Liverpooldawg
10-26-2019, 11:08 PM

My "horrifically low" expectations have been pretty dang spot on. I don't confuse hopes with expectations. I'm a realist when it comes to sports. Y'all don't like me because of it I know. If we would be more realistic we we would eventually break out of the same old MSU. We never will. I've come to realize that thanks to my exposure to this board.

Liverpooldawg
10-26-2019, 11:10 PM
Those ARE Hevesy’s linemen. And no they wouldn’t be better. See 2015. If he was that good of a coach he would have moved away from Dan years ago.

The difference Todd, is he isn't coaching them. I agree he totally and absolutely sucked at recruiting his position. What he could do, and DID, was coach up what he had.

trojandawg
10-26-2019, 11:11 PM
We weren?t that good to start with this year. I thought 7-5 at best but I was also figuring in joe was a crappy coach in to that and the fact of what we lost on defense. I thought 6-6 more likely. Jo just keep proving himself to be even more shitty than I thought he was. I was skeptical from the start that his system wouldn?t work here and that his philosophy style of coaching wouldn?t work here. The culture he is making is just getting more toxic by the week. It?s like he has lost control.

Liverpooldawg
10-26-2019, 11:14 PM
It’s all because we ran off Allyn McKeen in 1949. I would use sarcasterisks except he really said that one time.

Well Todd, that time and the time immediately after that was when most of the modern dynasties were built. We had the beginnings of one, but we ran him off because his offense sucked. Who knows. I do know we actually had two extremely good coaches shortly after that, and both of them fled at the first opportunity. Why is that?

Coursesuper
10-26-2019, 11:21 PM
Well Todd, that time and the time immediately after that was when most of the modern dynasties were built. We had the beginnings of one, but we ran him off because his offense sucked. Who knows. I do know we actually had two extremely good coaches shortly after that, and both of them fled at the first opportunity. Why is that?

Because Dude Noble was a miserable son of a bitch. If you want to go back in history you can place the blame for a lot of our football problems squarely at his feet.

Liverpooldawg
10-26-2019, 11:26 PM
Because Dude Noble was a miserable son of a bitch. If you want to go back in history you can place the blame for a lot of our football problems squarely at his feet.

No arguments there, and we have his name on an iconic building.

CadaverDawg
10-26-2019, 11:30 PM
My "horrifically low" expectations have been pretty dang spot on. I don't confuse hopes with expectations. I'm a realist when it comes to sports. Y'all don't like me because of it I know. If we would be more realistic we we would eventually break out of the same old MSU. We never will. I've come to realize that thanks to my exposure to this board.

Wrong. If you realistically thought we would look this bad...you should have been the ring leader to fire this clown. But no, you set the bar low to defend shitty coaches like Joe. You're the worst kind of fan bc if we were all like you we'd never progress as a program because we would always have zero expectations and feel like we deserved no success because we're po lil state and never had no success so we never will. So no, don't confuse your acceptance of being shitty as being a "realist"....we have proven you can win at MSU with the right guys at the helm, and don't think we dont remember seeing you predict 5-6 wins we were wining 8-10 under Mullen. THAT is your "realism". FOH with that garbage.

Liverpooldawg
10-26-2019, 11:30 PM
We weren?t that good to start with this year. I thought 7-5 at best but I was also figuring in joe was a crappy coach in to that and the fact of what we lost on defense. I thought 6-6 more likely. Jo just keep proving himself to be even more shitty than I thought he was. I was skeptical from the start that his system wouldn?t work here and that his philosophy style of coaching wouldn?t work here. The culture he is making is just getting more toxic by the week. It?s like he has lost control.
Maybe so, for sure. The last 4 games other than Bama will tell the tale. Next week is the biggest game in Moorhead's career, I don't think even those arguing with me because it's me would argue with that. If he loses that one, he is well and truly a dead man walking.

Coursesuper
10-26-2019, 11:31 PM
No arguments there, and we have his name on an iconic building.

If folks only knew, but like a lot with MSU athletics ignorance is bliss.

Liverpooldawg
10-26-2019, 11:39 PM
Wrong. If you realistically thought we would look this bad...you should have been the ring leader to fire this clown. But no, you set the bar low to defend shitty coaches like Joe. You're the worst kind of fan bc if we were all like you we'd never progress as a program because we would always have zero expectations and feel like we deserved no success because we're po lil state and never had no success so we never will. So no, don't confuse your acceptance of being shitty as being a "realist"....we have proven you can win at MSU with the right guys at the helm, and don't think we dont remember seeing you predict 5-6 wins we were wining 8-10 under Mullen. THAT is your "realism". FOH with that garbage.

Lol, I haven't been defending him! Y'all are so freaking emotionally unhinged you haven't noticed that. I DID defend Mullen, who was not a bad coach, as we are finding out. I was wait and see last year because of the clash in schemes. From what I've seen this year, Joe is done. If he loses the next game, that is certain. That being said, who in their right mind expected us to match what we did last year losing what we did? I certainly didn't. That's realism. I had hoped the offense would improve enough to offset some of what would absolutely obviously be a significant drop off on the defensive side. I was disappointed. That was obvious from the first few games.

Todd4State
10-27-2019, 12:06 AM
The difference Todd, is he isn't coaching them. I agree he totally and absolutely sucked at recruiting his position. What he could do, and DID, was coach up what he had.

Not always. Again- 2015, not to mention 2012, most of 2016 until injuries forced him to accidentally find the right combination with Elgton and Rankin on the left side of the line only to have to change it up the next year because he neglected to recruit a center for five years and decided to burn Clayborn’s redshirt.

But yeah- he was awesome.**

Todd4State
10-27-2019, 12:08 AM
Lol, I haven't been defending him! Y'all are so freaking emotionally unhinged you haven't noticed that. I DID defend Mullen, who was not a bad coach, as we are finding out. I was wait and see last year because of the clash in schemes. From what I've seen this year, Joe is done. If he loses the next game, that is certain. That being said, who in their right mind expected us to match what we did last year losing what we did? I certainly didn't. That's realism. I had hoped the offense would improve enough to offset some of what would absolutely obviously be a significant drop off on the defensive side. I was disappointed. That was obvious from the first few games.

You literally were on here two days ago saying that “we should support him” because you had some source who told you that we couldn’t afford his buyout. Allegedly. Unless you’re source was Larry Templeton.

Bubb Rubb
10-27-2019, 12:11 AM

This. You are looking at the same team that looked like crap against ULL and Southern Miss. Unfortunately, we've been putting crap like this on film every week, so it's easier for our opponents to game plan for us.

It's not suspensions. It's not injuries. It's culture, work ethic, and coaching.

Liverpooldawg
10-27-2019, 12:30 AM
You literally were on here two days ago saying that ?we should support him? because you had some source who told you that we couldn?t afford his buyout. Allegedly. Unless you?re source was Larry Templeton.

That fact remains. It's not "some source", and it dang sure ain't LT. I chaired a county alumni meeting where he spoke once, he never spoke to me, once. My source now I didn't know then. I don't post speculation or wishful thinking when I cite THAT source. That one doesn't deal in rumors. I'd like to go to ANY bowl and beat the Confederates. Support the TEAM.

Liverpooldawg
10-27-2019, 12:31 AM
This. You are looking at the same team that looked like crap against ULL and Southern Miss. Unfortunately, we've been putting crap like this on film every week, so it's easier for our opponents to game plan for us.

It's not suspensions. It's not injuries. It's culture, work ethic, and coaching.

Yep. That's my point.

Liverpooldawg
10-27-2019, 12:39 AM
Not always. Again- 2015, not to mention 2012, most of 2016 until injuries forced him to accidentally find the right combination with Elgton and Rankin on the left side of the line only to have to change it up the next year because he neglected to recruit a center for five years and decided to burn Clayborn?s redshirt.

But yeah- he was awesome.**

Yeah, he sucked at recruiting his position. But he did coach up what he did manage to get. Wasn't that what I said?

Walkerhill
10-27-2019, 07:26 AM
5 weeks ago, we beat Kentucky without the game ever being particularly in doubt. 6 weeks ago, we at least were competitive with the 5-2 Kansas State team that beat Oklahoma today and outgained them by nearly 100 yards.

I can't imagine us beating either of these teams today or even playing them close. Why have we completely collapsed over the course of a month? We weren't that bad in September, and in October, we are.

Not happy with where the program is right now, but this is dumb. The difference is we played UK at home.

We have not had a good (or even, not terrible) SEC road performance in Moorheads tenure discounting a hapless Ole Miss team last year. We are probably 4 touchdowns worse on the road than at home.

We would lose to UK by 2 touchdowns there, and we beat them at home. We could play with A&M at home, but lost handily on the road. The AU game was a disaster. UK last year. We may lose to a terrible Arkansas team on the road when we would win easily at home.

Arkansas would be an important win, just to get a legitimate SEC road win.

shoeless joe
10-27-2019, 08:17 AM

So everybody here was horribly wrong saying 8-4 while you were realistic by saying 6-6... well grampaw we ain’t winning six so you’re old ass was about two games off as well. You keep thinking jomo is what he should be and that the 07 team had more talent than last years team.

Barkman Turner Overdrive
10-27-2019, 09:42 AM
I won't point fingers.

But you did in your ?I told you so? previous post.