PDA

View Full Version : Billy Napier

FriarsPoint
10-26-2019, 02:27 PM
Quit f ing around and just go get him. We have the worst head coach in all of DI football and it?s not close.

Dawgfan77
10-26-2019, 02:33 PM
He is the right fit for us

ShotgunDawg
10-26-2019, 02:34 PM
I really like Napier & his offense, but I'd need to know his personality

My fear with Napier is that he's really benefiting from a veteran OL against a bad schedule

MetEdDawg
10-26-2019, 02:34 PM
So we want to replace Joe Moorhead with Billy Napier. Really?

Guy is a good coach but if this is as low as we are aiming what is the point of playing football in the SEC anymore. He might be a Top 10 name I call first but he's not a Top 5 name I call.

FriarsPoint
10-26-2019, 02:40 PM
So we want to replace Joe Moorhead with Billy Napier. Really?

Guy is a good coach but if this is as low as we are aiming what is the point of playing football in the SEC anymore. He might be a Top 10 name I call first but he's not a Top 5 name I call.

Let’s hear your suggestions chief.

Fader21
10-26-2019, 02:43 PM
This is my 2nd choice after PJ Fleck

MetEdDawg
10-26-2019, 02:51 PM
Let’s hear your suggestions chief.

In no particular order. I would call these 5 before I call Napier:

Matt Campbell
Kyle Whittingham (Probably won't leave but offer him 6 million and make him turn you down)
Justin Fuente
Bill Clark
Scott Satterfield
Chris Klieman (threw him in here but doubt he leaves. He knows that area too well)

They all deserve 5-6 million a year and you write a damn blank check for staff. If we have as much money as some of y'all say we do, this should be able to happen.

Napier has been a HC for less than 2 years at a Sun Belt team. No way in hell that's the first call I make.

It's hilarious that some of you don't want the poor ole Mississippi Sate label but some want us to hire a HC that has been a Sun Belt HC for less than 2 years.

Come on folks. If you want that label gone, put your damn nuts on the table and make someone deny $6 million a year to coach in the SEC

StarkVegasSteve
10-26-2019, 03:01 PM

Matt Campbell
Kyle Whittingham (Probably won't leave but offer him 6 million and make him turn you down)
Justin Fuente
Bill Clark
Scott Satterfield

They all deserve 5-6 million a year and you write a damn blank check for staff. If we have as much money as some of y'all say we do, this should be able to happen.

Napier has been a HC for less than 2 years at a Sun Belt team. No way in hell that's the first call I make.

It's hilarious that some of you don't want the poor ole Mississippi Sate label but some want us to hire a HC that has been a Sun Belt HC for less than 2 years.

Come on folks. If you want that label gone, put your damn nuts on the table and make someone deny $6 million a year to coach in the SEC

Campbell- Buyout is 7 million. We can't afford that large of a buyout, especially if we have to pay Moorhead's.
Whittingham- Ehh.....that would've been a great hire about 4 years ago. Still better than what we got, but don't offer him anywhere near 6 million.
Fuente- No
Clark- Can he recruit outside the state of Alabama? He's never coached outside that state.
Satterfield- Buyout is 5 million. We might could swing it, but he'd have to take a paycut here. Which I seriously doubt he'd do.

If you're going to make a realistic coaching candidate list IMO it would be:
1. Willie Fritz
2. Mark Hudspeth
3. Bill Clark
4. Todd Grantham
5. Billy Napier
6. Dave Arranda

ZedFedder
10-26-2019, 03:02 PM
When you listed Fuente you lost all cred.

Percho
10-26-2019, 03:05 PM
I would rather have MH, of the Governers.

ShotgunDawg
10-26-2019, 03:06 PM
I realize Hud isn't everyone's first choice, but are we absolutely sure he wouldn't succeed here?

Was the NCAA deal any of his own wrong doing?

He'd clearly be the best fit if he were actually good enough as a coach.

MetEdDawg
10-26-2019, 03:08 PM

Why? Virginia Tech isn't a great school anymore. Tough job and he's been coach of the year in the AAC AND the ACC.

MetEdDawg
10-26-2019, 03:11 PM
Campbell- Buyout is 7 million. We can't afford that large of a buyout, especially if we have to pay Moorhead's.
Whittingham- Ehh.....that would've been a great hire about 4 years ago. Still better than what we got, but don't offer him anywhere near 6 million.
Fuente- No
Clark- Can he recruit outside the state of Alabama? He's never coached outside that state.
Satterfield- Buyout is 5 million. We might could swing it, but he'd have to take a paycut here. Which I seriously doubt he'd do.

If you're going to make a realistic coaching candidate list IMO it would be:
1. Willie Fritz
2. Mark Hudspeth
3. Bill Clark
4. Todd Grantham
5. Billy Napier
6. Dave Arranda

Hudspeth and Grantham being on this list is so so bad. Poor ole Mississippi State.

If we want a good, proven HC we will have to pay a buyout. And since we have plenty of money to pay Moorhead's buyout, we should easily be able to afford Campbell or Satterfield's buyout.

Whittingham makes $4.1. At Utah. If we want him to leave the state he played football in he needs $5 million. And he has the stones to go toe to toe with the coaches in our division.

Some of y'all make no sense. You want to be serious and make sure our program is legit but you put Grantham and Hudspeth on your list? But then question a guy like Bill Clark? Makes zero damn sense.

Then you have people pissed the athletic department hired from within but you want Hudspeth. This fan base has no freaking clue what's going on anymore. Wandering aimlessly about the forest as my late grandfather would call it.

StarkVegasSteve
10-26-2019, 03:13 PM
Hudspeth and Grantham being on this list is so so bad. Poor ole Mississippi State.

If we want a good, proven HC we will have to pay a buyout. And since we have plenty of money to pay Moorhead's buyout, we should easily be able to afford Campbell or Satterfield's buyout.

Whittingham makes $4.1. At Utah. If we want him to leave the state he played football in he needs $5 million. And he has the stones to go toe to toe with the coaches in our division.

You gonna foot the bill? We don't have that money, and we don't have the boosters who have that money. That's not poor ole Mississippi State. That's realistically knowing who our big boosters and what they can provide monetarily to a coaching buyout, search, and new hire.

ShotgunDawg
10-26-2019, 03:15 PM
You gonna foot the bill? We don't have that money, and we don't have the boosters who have that money. That's not poor ole Mississippi State. That's realistically knowing who our big boosters and what they can provide monetarily to a coaching buyout, search, and new hire.

We do have that type of money.

The biggest lie that MSU keep telling themselves is that they're poor

MetEdDawg
10-26-2019, 03:18 PM

I don't disagree with you. I think we are limited financially.

But if we want to try and eliminate the guess work and hire a coach that is more of a guarantee to be successful, that costs a lot of money. To hire a staff to be competitive, that costs money.

If we want to be competitive we have to find the money. We have people boycotting going to games. Then wonder why we can't spend the money necessary to get a competitive head coach.

Either the university and its fans step up and raise expectations or we go hire a coordinator and pray we don't get the same thing.

WinningIsRelentless
10-26-2019, 03:21 PM
We do have that type of money.

The biggest lie that MSU keep telling themselves is that they're poor

You do realize the athletic department can only pay a max of 300k a year for a coach right? Therefore, private boosters have to step in and cover the difference for all the coaches in every sport.

viverlibre
10-26-2019, 03:21 PM
Why does Matt Rhule not get mentioned as a canidate?

RougeDawg
10-26-2019, 03:22 PM

Matt Campbell
Justin Fuente
Bill Clark
Scott Satterfield
Chris Klieman (threw him in here but doubt he leaves. He knows that area too well)

Well considering you left off Willie Fritz, it makes everything you say past that irrelevant. Nice try. Play again.

was21
10-26-2019, 03:23 PM
Hudspeth is tainted with the NCAA...perception is reality even if he wasn't named

1bigdawg
10-26-2019, 03:24 PM
What about Sonny Dykes? Did not do great at Cal, but he's tearing it up at SMU.

MetEdDawg
10-26-2019, 03:25 PM
Well considering you left off Willie Fritz, it makes everything you say past that irrelevant. Nice try. Play again.

So because I didn't put the one name you like, my list is invalid. Welcome to the MSU fan base, where you suck and your point is completely invalid if you don't write exactly what one other person says to on a message board.

My post very clearly says I would call these 5 first. Doesn't mean those were the only ones I would call.

But you go ahead and take your self proclaimed victory like a good pissed off MSU fan

Really Clark?
10-26-2019, 03:35 PM
Why does Matt Rhule not get mentioned as a canidate?

Because mentioning sitting HC at other P5 schools is unrealistic in nearly every case. They are not leaving a winning team for what is perceived as a low SEC school that is a losing. A bigger school, yes but not what most believe is a lateral move. Maybe Clawson at Wake Forest would be an option but Fleck, Ruhle, Satterfield, Campbell...they are not realistic options. Make the call? Sure. Just understand those coaches are already winning at a P5 school equal or above us

ShotgunDawg
10-26-2019, 03:41 PM
What about Sonny Dykes? Did not do great at Cal, but he's tearing it up at SMU.

I think he's a solid coach but he has such deep ties in the state of Texas that I think SMU may just be his perfect fit.

I'm not sure his success at SMU would be transferable to MSU

KOdawg1
10-26-2019, 03:43 PM
The more I've researched it, the more I like Dave Clawson

Maroonthirteen
10-26-2019, 03:44 PM
Money isn?t the problem. The problem is the national perception of Mississippi State football program. We are in a small state with a small pool of players. Playing in the toughest division of college football and the coach will be expected to win 7 games or more.

Hell we just had a recruit dump us to commit to Tennessee. If that doesn?t tell ya history and reputation matters as much as recent results.

With said, Moorhead needs to go. But we will replace him with another assistant or a G5 coach. HUD and Grantham are realistic replacements.

ShotgunDawg
10-26-2019, 03:44 PM
The more I've researched it, the more I like Dave Clawson

Clawson would be good if we could get him.

He'll leave Wake at some point but my guess is that he's shooting for a blue blood of sorts.

ShotgunDawg
10-26-2019, 03:47 PM
Money isn’t the problem. The problem is the national perception of Mississippi State football program. We are in a small state with a small pool of players. Playing in the toughest division of college football and the coach will be expected to win 7 games or more.

Hell we just had a recruit dump us to commit to Tennessee. If that doesn’t tell ya history and reputation matters as much as recent results.

With said, Moorhead needs to go. But we will replace him with another assistant or a G5 coach.

MSU is a challenging job but it's not a tough job to win 7-9 games a year. You can coach at MSU doing that for a long long time.

As with most programs, even blue bloods, good coaches do well & bad coaches do poorly.

Oklahoma, Texas, Notre Dame, Florida, USC, FSU, etc have all been terrible when they are poorly coached. There is no job that's a safety net for bad coaches. Ohio State, Alabama, LSU, & UGA are the closest. They may be able to hide bad coaching.

Everyone else is bad when they are poorly coached

MetEdDawg
10-26-2019, 03:52 PM
Money isn?t the problem. The problem is the national perception of Mississippi State football program. We are in a small state with a small pool of players. Playing in the toughest division of college football and the coach will be expected to win 7 games or more.

Hell we just had a recruit dump us to commit to Tennessee. If that doesn?t tell ya history and reputation matters as much as recent results.

With said, Moorhead needs to go. But we will replace him with another assistant or a G5 coach. HUD and Grantham are realistic replacements.

I'm ok with a G5 coach if it's the right G5 coach.

I wasn't good with Bill Clark 2 years ago. But since then he's showed consistency in winning. He can recruit in the south and is getting some kids to UAB. I would be ok with him now. But there would still be some hesitation from me on how he would handle the SEC.

To be honest, we have to go as big as we can this go around. We have to throw money at this and lots of it. Our fans and former players can't be pissed at this, then sit there and do nothing during this next search. If this issue is to be avoided again, we have to go big.

We have Saban, Fisher, Malzahn, and Orgeron in our DIVISION. Kirby and Mullen on the other side. We need a coach that has the ability to go toe to toe with them in personality, drive, and expectations. We need a proven head coach and we have to be willing to pay for that if we are serious about being competitive in conference.

KOdawg1
10-26-2019, 03:55 PM
Clawson would be good if we could get him.

He'll leave Wake at some point but my guess is that he's shooting for a blue blood of sorts.

He currently makes $2 million. Offer him 4 and let's start rebuilding what Joe destroyed

DownwardDawg
10-26-2019, 03:55 PM

This is poor, backwards thinking. State is a top 20 job. Top
25 at a minimum. Coaches are so competitive and fans seem to forget that. There are a thousand coaches out there that think they are light years better than Mullen. All Mullen did was show it’s easy to win 8 or more a year at State.

War Machine Dawg
10-26-2019, 03:57 PM
We should at least interview Joe Brady. I know he’s young and never even been an OC, but he seems like he’s the next superstar coach. For a school like us, now is the time to roll the dice on him. Wait 1-2 years and he’ll be waiting for a bigger job. Grab him now and you have him for 8-10 years before he jumps to a blue blood.

ShotgunDawg
10-26-2019, 03:58 PM
This is poor, backwards thinking. State is a top 20 job. Top
25 at a minimum. Coaches are so competitive and fans seem to forget that. There are a thousand coaches out there that think they are light years better than Mullen. All Mullen did was show it’s easy to win 8 or more a year at State.

This is correct

ShotgunDawg
10-26-2019, 04:00 PM
We should at least interview Joe Brady. I know he’s young and never even been an OC, but he seems like he’s the next superstar coach. For a school like us, now is the time to roll the dice on him. Wait 1-2 years and he’ll be waiting for a bigger job. Grab him now and you have him for 8-10 years before he jumps to a blue blood.

I disagree. He's too young.

He may be a great coach someday, but he just doesn't have the experience to justify hiring him as a HC at this time.

Now is not the time to roll the dice. Now is the time to go get as sure of a thing as possible & get the program stable again.

You say he'd be good for 8-10 years but that's assuming he's any good, which we really don't have a track record to know.

Notice how pedestrian LSU looks today on offense since Shoop drew up the game plan last week

War Machine Dawg
10-26-2019, 04:04 PM
I disagree. He's too young.

He may be a great coach someday, but he just doesn't have the experience to justify hiring him as a HC at this time.

Now is not the time to roll the dice. Now is the time to go get as sure of a thing as possible & get the program stable again.

I definitely see that point of view. And honestly, Norvell, Clawson, Napier, Fritz and Kliemann are all coaches I would probably rather hire. Just throwing the idea out there.

ShotgunDawg
10-26-2019, 04:05 PM
I definitely see that point of view. And honestly, Norvell, Clawson, Napier, Fritz and Kliemann are all coaches I would probably rather hire. Just throwing the idea out there.

I think Brady would have trouble hiring a staff.

At that age, there no way he has developed the network necessary to put together an experienced, great staff

War Machine Dawg
10-26-2019, 04:17 PM
I think Brady would have trouble hiring a staff.

At that age, there no way he has developed the network necessary to put together an experienced, great staff

Good point. I think we could help him with that in part, but it is still a valid concern. And with the S&C revamp needed, that could be too big an issue. We need someone who will bring a top class S&C guy with him.

Maroonthirteen
10-26-2019, 04:22 PM
If I was AD, hell yeah id go after sitting P5 coaches first. However, our football budget is NOT top 25. Also based on our history of hires and other hires made recently at comparable programs around the nation...... A P5 coach isn?t going to apply. We would have to go the G5 or lower route to find a sitting head coach.

Call it poor ole mitthiph Tate thinking..... but it?s reality until we steal a sitting a P5 coach from
Elsewhere.

Todd4State
10-26-2019, 04:27 PM

I don?t understand the Fuente hate. 10-4, 9-4, 6-7, and 5-2 coming into today is not too bad. I would take that over Joe right now.

Really Clark?
10-26-2019, 04:28 PM
If I was AD, hell yeah id go after sitting P5 coaches first. However, our football budget is NOT top 25. Also based on our history of hires and other hires made recently at comparable programs around the nation...... A P5 coach isn?t going to apply. We would have to go the G5 or lower route to find a sitting head coach.

Call it poor ole mitthiph Tate thinking..... but it?s reality until we steal a sitting a P5 coach from
Elsewhere.

We are 35th with over $100 MIL athletic budget (2017-2018)

Cooterpoot
10-26-2019, 04:30 PM
Name one coach from the AAC that?s taken a P5 job and been good.

JamesDawg
10-26-2019, 04:42 PM
Quit f ing around and just go get him. We have the worst head coach in all of DI football and it?s not close.

Why?

Really Clark?
10-26-2019, 04:44 PM

Tom Herman, 10 wins last year, 5-2 so far this year. He’s been good

Really Clark?
10-26-2019, 04:46 PM
Why?

If you are not double naught douche I will eat my shoe.

TrapGame
10-26-2019, 04:49 PM
If you are not double naught douche I will eat my shoe.

It's him.

Cooterpoot
10-26-2019, 04:50 PM
Tom Herman, 10 wins last year, 5-2 so far this year. He’s been good

And he learned from who?

Todd4State
10-26-2019, 04:50 PM
We are 35th with over $100 MIL athletic budget (2017-2018)

But Larry Templeton told me...

Todd4State
10-26-2019, 04:52 PM

And again what is wrong with Fuente?

Really Clark?
10-26-2019, 04:52 PM
And he learned from who?

Nice...yep Urban coaching tree. But you just asked for someone from that conference.

Really Clark?
10-26-2019, 04:53 PM
It's him.

Figured

Cooterpoot
10-26-2019, 04:53 PM
And again what is wrong with Fuente?

He’s been bad. VT has fallen a long way. And that conference isn’t good this year and he’s been up and down.

Really Clark?
10-26-2019, 04:55 PM
But Larry Templeton told me...

And we were in the black around $15 MIL for 2017-2018...but we don’t have the budget for a $3 MIL per year buyout? Not to mention if we need it to happen it would not effect our budget one cent. The issue is with the next hire and if it’s a flop as well, we may have to stick that one out a while

Cooterpoot
10-26-2019, 04:55 PM
Nice...yep Urban coaching tree. But you just asked for someone from that conference.

I’d call Urban Meyer and ask who he thinks is good. I might not hire that person but I’d talk to them. We asked 17ing Franklin with Moorhead.

MetEdDawg
10-26-2019, 05:05 PM
He’s been bad. VT has fallen a long way. And that conference isn’t good this year and he’s been up and down.

Virginia Tech was 29-23 the 4 seasons prior to Fuente.

They are 30-17 in the 3+ seasons since Fuente has arrived.

Really Clark?
10-26-2019, 05:07 PM
I’d call Urban Meyer and ask who he thinks is good. I might not hire that person but I’d talk to them. We asked 17ing Franklin with Moorhead.

As long as he doesn’t push Strong or Addiazo