PDA

View Full Version : I think Cohen should be let go

Dawgology
10-26-2019, 12:18 PM
Along with Moorhead. You don?t miss this amount of incompetency in the interview process.

MetEdDawg
10-26-2019, 12:23 PM
Along with Moorhead. You don?t miss this amount of incompetency in the interview process.

So explain what incompetency showed in the interview process?

msbulldog
10-26-2019, 12:23 PM
Ron White said "there is no cure for stupid".

Cooterpoot
10-26-2019, 12:25 PM
John Cohen has failed more in a couple years than is acceptable. He?s literally failed at everything football related. NEVER hire your AD from inside your athletics program.

Bothrops
10-26-2019, 12:38 PM

We had limited options to begin with. To blame this outcome on Cohen is ridiculous. We will have limited options next time around, and while I would rather have another coach at this point, whomever the next hire is going to have a tremendous challenge. More likely to fail than succeed.

Homedawg
10-26-2019, 12:40 PM
We had limited options to begin with. To blame this outcome on Cohen is ridiculous. We will have limited options next time around, and while I would rather have another coach at this point, whomever the next hire is going to have a tremendous challenge. More likely to fail than succeed.

Agree.

WeWonItAll(Most)
10-26-2019, 12:43 PM

I would also like for you to explain how he is supposed to not miss this. He was widely considered a big up and comer. And do you think anyone he worked with was going to say "he's not head coach material" or something like that?

ShotgunDawg
10-26-2019, 12:45 PM

You can't miss this bad.

If you have any clue what you're looking for in a football coach, it shouldn't be this bad.

BayouDawg
10-26-2019, 12:45 PM

While I agree it will be a challenge, a half way competent coach wins the KSU and Tennessee games. You dont have to perform nuclear physics to get to bowl games these days.

ShotgunDawg
10-26-2019, 12:46 PM

Really, what were our limited options?

You telling me that there isn't a coach out there that can win at MSU & was available?

ShotgunDawg
10-26-2019, 12:46 PM
I would also like for you to explain how he is supposed to not miss this. He was widely considered a big up and comer. And do you think anyone he worked with was going to say "he's not head coach material" or something like that?

Well.... that's why you interview them & you watch their past teams play.

dawgday166
10-26-2019, 12:47 PM
I'll say this. When I looked at Joe's O numbers at PSU I noticed his struggles against the best Ds in conference. Low yardage output. I paused there but thought those might've been anomalies ... since there were only about 3 or 4 of them. But it's obvious now he struggles without elite O talent against EVERY team.

timotheus
10-26-2019, 12:47 PM
I agree somewhat on JoMo being an up and comer and all. The issue falls with the issue of his system and its viability in the SEC. That is where is starts and stops. Now throw in the S&C issues and making us a finesse team and its a mess. He smooth talked Cohen and John fell for it.

BeastMan
10-26-2019, 12:51 PM
In 2010 JoMo was the OC at UCONN and had the 93rd ranked scoring offense in football. He was demoted to just QB coach the following year. Looks like that's exactly who we got.

Big4Dawg
10-26-2019, 12:53 PM
This "Cohen needs to go talk" is getting old. Everyone liked the hire when it first happened.

State82
10-26-2019, 12:53 PM
Well, the one thing I like about Cohen is that he is a baseball guy and knows that sport as well as anyone. And it is ultimately the one I care most about, even though I am in the minority. And I have confidence that he will take care of that better than any AD could. And I do not give a 17 otherwise.

WeWonItAll(Most)
10-26-2019, 12:57 PM
Well.... that's why you interview them & you watch their past teams play.

I don't think Penn State was criticized for playing soft and uninspired or being totally clueless when Moorhead was there.

maroonmania
10-26-2019, 01:00 PM

Limited by what? Did we interview even ONE current G5 Head Coach? Maybe Chad Morris but the only real names discussed were Pruitt and Moorhead. There are tons of coaches out there who would crawl to be a HC in the SEC and make 3 to 4 mil a year.

msugolf
10-26-2019, 01:02 PM
I don't think Penn State was criticized for playing soft and uninspired or being totally clueless when Moorhead was there.

That's because he wasn't the personality of the team....Franklin is. And he's about as fiery as they come.

Cowbell
10-26-2019, 01:02 PM

Because they have a competent head coach.

Cohen shouldnt be fired for hiring joe. He should be fired for giving him a 9 million buyout after last years performance.

WeWonItAll(Most)
10-26-2019, 01:07 PM
Because they have a competent head coach.

Cohen shouldnt be fired for hiring joe. He should be fired for giving him a 9 million buyout after last years performance.
I know, but we're talking about how Cohen should have known that Moorhead would work out this way.

I do agree that the buyout was bad move

Leeshouldveflanked
10-26-2019, 01:13 PM
You can give Cohen a pass on the hire, but you can?t give him one on the extension.

Dawgology
10-26-2019, 01:17 PM
To answer the question: I don’t know as I wasn’t in the interview. I have hired a lot of employees though and I have had to fire a few here and there also. You can usually separate bullshit from competence in an interview. In the off chance that you do miss it you move quickly and decisively to correct the problem. If you can’t do that without hurting your pride then you don’t need to be in a position where it’s part of your responsibility. I’ve had to do it once on one that I really whiffed on. It was obvious by three weeks in that she had conned us so I released her. The issue is that it’s kind of become Cohen’s MO between Cannizzaro, Moorhead, and a couple of the smaller sport coaches. You can say “everyone said it was a great hire”. But “everyone” isn’t sitting in the interview and/or doing the in-depth background to screen someone. The buck stops with Cohen and that buck has been coming due a lot with him.

msudawg1200
10-26-2019, 01:18 PM
Deddrick Thomas plays hard

Mobile Bay
10-26-2019, 01:18 PM
This "Cohen needs to go talk" is getting old. Everyone liked the hire when it first happened.

No, not true. I knew this was bad from the start.

Cooterpoot
10-26-2019, 01:21 PM

Not everyone...you?re wrong there. And I?m not really for firing him, but he?s failed at everything he?s touched minus the baseball stadium.

IMissJack
10-26-2019, 01:24 PM

That line of thinking is getting old too, not everyone liked the hire at all. In fact there was quite a group that said he would not fit in well with MS.

MetEdDawg
10-26-2019, 01:26 PM
You can't miss this bad.

If you have any clue what you're looking for in a football coach, it shouldn't be this bad.

So you don't know either? Shocker there.

Just more conjecture that there must have been something so blame Cohen.

Randolph Dupree
10-26-2019, 01:28 PM
If Cohen doesn't fire Moorehead this year he should get the axe when Moorehead does. IF we want to fire him but can't because of the buyout (which I do not believe is the case) then Cohen should be fired for that; that is an unforgivable sin with an unproven coach.

WeWonItAll(Most)
10-26-2019, 01:33 PM
You can give Cohen a pass on the hire, but you can?t give him one on the extension.

I actually agree. Last season was a yellow flag for the optimists like myself. A red flag for others

shoeless joe
10-26-2019, 01:35 PM
Not sure if he should be fired but Cohen does deserve criticism and heat for this hire. Moorehead has tendencies and traits of someone that would not be a good leader. They jumped out to me the first time I saw him speak after we hired him. And none of those things has changed each time I hear him.

So I do believe Cohen, who has been in coaching for as long as he has, should have picked up on those cues and went another direction.

Coursesuper
10-26-2019, 01:36 PM

This is the problem when you are constantly convinced you are the smartest guy in the room. His arrogance is the reason and we are seeing the results.

Cowbell
10-26-2019, 01:39 PM
Not sure if he should be fired but Cohen does deserve criticism and heat for this hire. Moorehead has tendencies and traits of someone that would not be a good leader. They jumped out to me the first time I saw him speak after we hired him. And none of those things has changed each time I hear him.

So I do believe Cohen, who has been in coaching for as long as he has, should have picked up on those cues and went another direction.

I am right there with you on this. I saw red flags on day one but convinced myself to trust Cohen and I remained optimistic until bowl game last year.

TheLostDawg
10-26-2019, 02:04 PM
I feel like we're going to figure out a lot this winter. Especially if Moorhead and Cohen are here which is probably going to be the case because we're petrified to do anything new such as alcohol sales to firing a coach after two years. That being said this winter and the changes made will determine if Cohen/Moorhead need to be here another year. If a lot of changes in staff aren't made with the program they both should be gone. They are going to have to make big changes and hires. Cohen is also going to have to push for bulldog club or whoever is in charge of donations to do a better job because I feel like ticket sales will dip unless they make a home run hire like pulling Joe Brady over.

ShotgunDawg
10-26-2019, 02:12 PM
So you don't know either? Shocker there.

Just more conjecture that there must have been something so blame Cohen.

I think I could've done better than Cohen with this hire. He valued the wrong traits

RougeDawg
10-26-2019, 02:18 PM

SloMo has the tendencies of a guy who lives in his moms basement, but can draw up the best plays football has ever known. He asks for the meatloaf when he?s hungry and gets punked down by anyone with a pulse. This is pathetic. MSU football is now a non subject for me. One guy tore down a 8 win minimum team into this pile of shit.

Any of you who now think he needs to stay, need to go with SloMo in November. Please do. You are part of the reason he was hired. The pathetic ?we can?t hire a big name coach? ?we are Mississippi State? ?we can?t spend the money? need to grow a pair. We are in the best conference in the land and have more money than almost every other power 5 team not in the SEC. we have incompetent people in our administration and incompetent fans who are happy with mediocre.

You and your Larry Templeton mindset are why we are where we are right now. Stop the loser mentality and maybe you?ll actually win something.

Dawgology
10-26-2019, 02:22 PM
SloMo has the tendencies of a guy who lives in his moms basement, but can draw up the best plays football has ever known. He asks for the meatloaf when he?s hungry and gets punked down by anyone with a pulse. This is pathetic. MSU football is now a non subject for me. One guy tore down a 8 win minimum team into this pile of shit.

Any of you who now think he needs to stay, need to go with SloMo in November. Please do. You are part of the reason he was hired. The pathetic ?we can?t hire a big name coach? ?we are Mississippi State? ?we can?t spend the money? need to grow a pair. We are in the best conference in the land and have more money than almost every other power 5 team not in the SEC. we have incompetent people in our administration and incompetent fans who are happy with mediocre.

You and your Larry Templeton mindset are why we are where we are right now. Stop the loser mentality and maybe you?ll actually win something.

Well said. We have a contingent of fans that really need to move on.

TheLostDawg
10-26-2019, 02:26 PM
Joe Brady is only making $500k with a three year contract which includes this year. Maybe whoever is the coach next year will consider adding him on as a HC. Especially if that person is Moorhead. If we can pay $ 3 Mill a year to fire Moorhead and pay for a new coach and Morehead stays, we better go after him or someone to help Moorhead out. That and hire a lot of more talented coaches. Going cheap has done us no favors

Bdawg
10-26-2019, 02:42 PM

Maybe that's because he wasn't the head coach. Maybe the head coach demanded toughness.

Todd4State
10-26-2019, 02:48 PM

All of this!

Turfdawg67
10-26-2019, 02:50 PM
Really, what were our limited options?

You telling me that there isn't a coach out there that can win at MSU & was available?

We've been playing football here for over 100 years and we have more losses than wins, one SEC West Championship and one SEC Championship. Where are all these coaches that can come in here and win. When we get one that at least wins more than he loses we become arrogant, chalk that up to beating up on weak OC opponents and shitty East teams and believe he is "holding us back".

ScottH
10-26-2019, 02:56 PM
John Cohen has failed more in a couple years than is acceptable. He?s literally failed at everything football related. NEVER hire your AD from inside your athletics program.

Our athletic department is historically incestuous.

Saltydog
10-26-2019, 02:59 PM
Meh, you're taking it a little far my friend. Hiring is not an exact science. You can get someone that checks all the boxes and they can still fail miserably. I've seen people who had the smarts, credentials, and the best looking resume' you've ever seen that have failed miserably. Conversely, I've seen people that I thought were marginal hires that were super good. I think Cohen gets ONE redo. One and only one.

Turfdawg67
10-26-2019, 03:12 PM
Meh, you're taking it a little far my friend. Hiring is not an exact science. You can get someone that checks all the boxes and they can still fail miserably. I've seen people who had the smarts, credentials, and the best looking resume' you've ever seen that have failed miserably. Conversely, I've seen people that I thought were marginal hires that were super good. I think Cohen gets ONE redo. One and only one.

He hired Cannizzaro. Isn't Joe is one and only do-over?

RougeDawg
10-26-2019, 03:19 PM
Cohen may not get 100% blame for SloMo but he should get 100% blame for tutor gate. Our athletic department knew about the bullshit when it was only Nick Spoon and they did not stop it. They allowed the other football players to continue in it and then we crucified ourselves with penalties.

And just to clue everyone in. Tutorgate involved 14 student athletes. Nick Spoon and the 10 ?announced? football players are all we ?know?. By my math That leaves 3 persons who have not been announced. Some graduated. I?ve been saying this for months and that?s why a certain QB was in transfer portal and has not seen the field this year. Some of you need to wake the f*ck up and pay attention. Everything is there for those who choose to see it. Stop being blind sheep. Our entire athletic department is incompetent.

sandjunky
10-26-2019, 03:29 PM
He hired Cannizzaro. Isn't Joe is one and only do-over?

How is Cannizzaro a bad hire. He was a great hire until he got distracted and Cohen acted swiftly in removing him.