PDA

View Full Version : If Joe's back he needs to go spend some time in Iowa this offseason

Irondawg
10-25-2019, 03:39 PM
And visit both Iowa and Iowa State - two teams in P5 conferences with distinct recruiting disadvantages that also field very well coached teams. They both seem to maximize their player's talents and also excel and finding overlooked guys in their areas.

I remember watching the bowl game last year and noting that despite our athletic advantage those guys always just played disciplined football, especially on defense.

timotheus
10-25-2019, 04:00 PM
Ha. Joe already thinks he's so many levels above those coaches. He's too concerned in finding precision to get a team to just play tough and be physical.

TrapGame
10-25-2019, 04:09 PM
Ha. Joe already thinks he's so many levels above those coaches. He's too concerned in finding precision to get a team to just play tough and be physical.

Joe really remind me of what Fat Bert did to Arkansas. Petrino had Arkansas a spread team. He recruited to his offensive strengths. Fat Bert comes in and he wants to grind it out, big OL up front and tail back that hits the hole like a dump truck. But, that's not what he has on his roster. So he spends four years hammering a square peg into round hole. In other words our team is not built to do what Joe wants to do and much like Fat Bert he could be in year four with the same lackluster results.

Tbonewannabe
10-25-2019, 04:13 PM
Joe really remind me of what Fat Bert did to Arkansas. Petrino had Arkansas a spread team. He recruited to his offensive strengths. Fat Bert comes in and he wants to grind it out, big OL up front and tail back that hits the hole like a dump truck. But, that's not what he has on his roster. So he spends four years hammering a square peg into round hole. In other words our team is not built to do what Joe wants to do and much like Fat Bert he could be in year four with the same lackluster results.

At least what Joe wants will not leave us with a horrible roster like Bert did. I don't think Morris is the answer in Ark but he has a lot of recruiting to do to fix Bert's mess. Other than the hole at DT, needing SEC WRs, and "Joe's QB", there wasn't that much of the roster that needed to be retooled.

Todd4State
10-25-2019, 07:30 PM
At least what Joe wants will not leave us with a horrible roster like Bert did. I don't think Morris is the answer in Ark but he has a lot of recruiting to do to fix Bert's mess. Other than the hole at DT, needing SEC WRs, and "Joe's QB", there wasn't that much of the roster that needed to be retooled.

We’re deficient at back up running back which could hurt us next year- partially on Joe, wide receiver, offensive line, defensive tackle (experience), and linebacker depth. Some on Dan, some on Joe.

CovertDawg
10-26-2019, 09:43 AM
The aspirational football program for MSU should be the other MSU, Michigan State. They compete in a division with Ohio State, Penn State, and Michigan while seldom getting Top 25 Recruiting classes.... very much a player development program. Dantonio inherited a mess from John L Smith and managed to win the Big Ten three times while finishing Top 10 nationally four different times. Quite frankly, Dantonio's record dwarfs what Mullen accomplished and had Mullen not floated his name for other jobs all the time then maybe we could have come closer to their level of success.

CoachT14
10-26-2019, 09:53 AM
And visit both Iowa and Iowa State - two teams in P5 conferences with distinct recruiting disadvantages that also field very well coached teams. They both seem to maximize their player's talents and also excel and finding overlooked guys in their areas.

I remember watching the bowl game last year and noting that despite our athletic advantage those guys always just played disciplined football, especially on defense.

https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/583/267/e8a.gif

Joe will never agree to think he's below those guys and needs to work on himself.