PDA

View Full Version : Watching Wyatt's breakdown of RB got me thinking - should we bring back the FB

Irondawg
10-24-2019, 03:40 PM
Several of the plays he broke down involved a pulling guard not being able to get to the 2nd level LB in time to prevent them from making a play. Back in the early Mullen days we had some pounding fullbacks that would clear those guys out.

We ran it a lot in the Ballard years and Hemphill and co. did a really nice job in the run game.

Almost nobody runs it now but seems like it could be an effective twist to use at times.

BrunswickDawg
10-24-2019, 03:42 PM
Several of the plays he broke down involved a pulling guard not being able to get to the 2nd level LB in time to prevent them from making a play. Back in the early Mullen days we had some pounding fullbacks that would clear those guys out.

We ran it a lot in the Ballard years and Hemphill and co. did a really nice job in the run game.

Almost nobody runs it now but seems like it could be an effective twist to use at times.

Using a TE as an H Back could work and not have to add any personnel.

TrapGame
10-24-2019, 03:48 PM
Hanrahan was a m'fing beast in '09 and '10. I loved that dude. Tough as a brick shit house.

War Machine Dawg
10-24-2019, 04:05 PM
Using an H-back or FB would be ideal. It's one of the reasons I want us to run the Gus Bus offense. We can find those guys in abundance in our recruiting footprint and it makes us a little different. Plus those types of players tend to add an element of physicality to a team. I know that the game has kind of evolved away from the traditional FB, but damn they're fun to watch when they're used right. Makes me want to go back and watch tape of Fred McCrary, Dennis McKinley, etc. JWS had some legit badass tanks at FB back in the day.

DogsofAnarchy
10-24-2019, 04:12 PM
We are using the wrong offense for the majority of players we are able to recruit.

StarkVegasSteve
10-24-2019, 04:28 PM
Hanrahan was a m'fing beast in '09 and '10. I loved that dude. Tough as a brick shit house.

Hanrahan as that H Back was just an absolute dude. Always wondered why Mullen went away from that. We used it a litte bit with Malcolm Johnson in 13 and 14. I think we could stick Farrod in that position and he would thrive. I also think we could stick a LB or a Dline or Oline in that position in goal line situations and just use them as a battering ram.

Tbonewannabe
10-24-2019, 04:32 PM
Oddly enough Rod Gibson is one of the recruiting guys on the team now.

Bothrops
10-24-2019, 05:57 PM

That guy was a killer. Don't make 'em like that anymore

Todd4State
10-24-2019, 06:28 PM
Yes I would like to see a fullback used in some sets. One of my personal favorite teams schematically is North Dakota State when they had Craig Bohl as their coach. Lots of pro-style stuff. I’d like to see us do some of that.

Cooterpoot
10-24-2019, 06:33 PM
We don’t need to waste time with a FB. This ain’t 1980.

Todd4State
10-24-2019, 06:57 PM
We don’t need to waste time with a FB. This ain’t 1980.

Thanks Joe.**

tcdog70
10-25-2019, 10:15 AM
Hill can't pass pro, so put him running a route and drop a TE to the H back for pass pro. Then maybe Our QB will stop getting sacked.

Tbonewannabe
10-25-2019, 10:45 AM
Hill can't pass pro, so put him running a route and drop a TE to the H back for pass pro. Then maybe Our QB will stop getting sacked.

Hell, just put one of our TE as the RB beside the QB on obvious passing downs. They could still run a TE screen or come out of the backfield but you have a lot better blocker to protect the QB. Bottom line is Nick Gibson just needs to be the 3rd down back. Hill isn't an every down back because of his shitty blocking skills.

trojandawg
10-25-2019, 03:22 PM
i went back and watched the LSU game. Darryl Williams was getting killed in the center and getting blown up almost every play even in the first quarter. our offense line is pretty weak. We are also still making bad reads on the option. We are also still getting the call in way too late that we basically snap it and the dline and blitz is on a full sprint at the line and blow right past our blockers.

Irondawg
10-25-2019, 03:41 PM
Yeah, as much as I like Darryl he's struggled this year. A lot of that could be due to the injuries he's fighting through, but the last few years our centers have moved people out of the way.

timotheus
10-25-2019, 04:01 PM
It would take Joe 3 years to figure out how to incorporate a FB into his "scheme" due to it decreasing the potential for explosive plays.

timotheus
10-25-2019, 04:03 PM
i went back and watched the LSU game. Darryl Williams was getting killed in the center and getting blown up almost every play even in the first quarter. our offense line is pretty weak. We are also still making bad reads on the option. We are also still getting the call in way too late that we basically snap it and the dline and blitz is on a full sprint at the line and blow right past our blockers.

UT blew up the O line with 4 people

TrapGame
10-25-2019, 04:03 PM
It would take Joe 3 years to figure out how to incorporate a FB into his "scheme" due to it decreasing the potential for explosive plays.

We do have explosive plays. They explode in our face.

Tbonewannabe
10-25-2019, 04:10 PM
UT blew up the O line with 4 people

This was the biggest red flag to me. UT came into that game with around 6 sacks for the year. They had 7 sacks in our game. They also came into the game around 94 in the country in rush defense. They held Kylin to 13 yards. Our rushing would have looked a lot worse if Shrader hadn't ran on some busted plays. The bottom line is our Oline is a huge weakness where we thought it would be more of a strength. The offense is only as good as the Oline even if the playcaller is a genius.

timotheus
10-25-2019, 05:22 PM
And i don't believe either are even near average.