PDA

View Full Version : Hey Cohen....

BhamDawg205
10-23-2019, 08:17 PM
Try this when and if the next coaching search happens. How bout we use MSU's as a stepping stone job to to establish a coaching farm. There has to be an offensive minded HC out there, who has allows his OC to call plays. Bring both in as a package deal. So when that HC bolts for so call better job, the OC is there as defacto "HC in Waiting". Just need to figure out wait will be our offensive identity.

Mullen worked out to a point. Just imagine if he had an OC to at minimum keep us at 7-8 win. And if that OC is promoted hire an OC. This also adds new ideas to the playbook. Wash, Rinse, and Repeat.

Homedawg
10-23-2019, 08:32 PM
It's so easy****

DownwardDawg
10-23-2019, 08:35 PM
What a brilliant idea!!!

Really Clark?
10-23-2019, 08:46 PM
You are talking about the Oregon model. It worked for them for a long time. Good if you can do it but they had to break away from that the last 2 hires

TrapGame
10-23-2019, 09:09 PM
Mullen would have taken his OC with him.

maroonmania
10-23-2019, 09:20 PM
The thing that really pisses me off is the reason Mullen is better now as a HC than even most of the time he was with us is because he has finally stopped the revolving door of DCs he had here for his entire tenure. Just think how good we could have been had he gotten a Grantham type to coach with him here at MSU for most of his years. Instead we had an endless parade of DCs the entire Mullen era that were either not very good or couldn't stand coaching with Mullen. Grantham must be one of the very few DCs out there that doesn't let Mullen get to him.

BhamDawg205
10-23-2019, 10:06 PM
It's so easy****

No one said it was easy. But the model of chasing up and coming coordinators won't get us where we're trying to go. Heck I'm for finding a HC and OC that run an offense similar what most MS high school run, i.e. power spread with lots of motion. The learning curve won't be drastic like this 2 year experimenting we're going through now.

BhamDawg205
10-23-2019, 10:08 PM
The thing that really pisses me off is the reason Mullen is better now as a HC than even most of the time he was with us is because he has finally stopped the revolving door of DCs he had here for his entire tenure. Just think how good we could have been had he gotten a Grantham type to coach with him here at MSU for most of his years. Instead we had an endless parade of DCs the entire Mullen era that were either not very good or couldn't stand coaching with Mullen. Grantham must be one of the very few DCs out there that doesn't let Mullen get to him.

Yeah that probably cost us 1-2 games we should've won.

Todd4State
10-23-2019, 10:33 PM

Grantham is Dan's Joe Lee Dunn. When he inevitably leaves I'm expecting some regression at Florida.

No one said it was easy. But the model of chasing up and coming coordinators won't get us where we're trying to go. Heck I'm for finding a HC and OC that run an offense similar what most MS high school run, i.e. power spread with lots of motion. The learning curve won't be drastic like this 2 year experimenting we're going through now.

The model we need to change is just going after coordinators. We need to start expanding our searches to include sitting head coaches at G5 schools. Which is likely a lot less risky than a coordinator with very little or no head coaching experience who has to learn on the job. You can't tell me that Billy Napier wouldn't take our job right now for 2.5 million. And probably most G5 coaches. I'm not even sure why up and coming coordinators is the "MSU model" when our best coach in school history was a retread.

Todd4State
10-23-2019, 10:35 PM
And while we're talking about Cohen- I want to see him starting to grow as an AD. Be the badass that he was when he was the baseball coach. Get out of the LT and Scott Stricklin mold and start to actually advance things instead of trying to hang on to 2010.

timotheus
10-23-2019, 10:39 PM
Agreed and Fritz has a much better OC than we do.

Todd4State
10-23-2019, 10:46 PM
Agreed and Fritz has a much better OC than we do.

But is he an offensive genius guru?**

BhamDawg205
10-24-2019, 02:59 AM
I think Fritz and Napier would be 1a and 1b. For me Napier and his OC( OL coach) Sale fits the model. Both have P5 SEC experience. Napier at Alabama and Sale at Georgia. ULL's offense fits the type of players in our recruiting footprint. And Sale's OL looks light years ahead of ours even with the talent discrepancy.

BhamDawg205
10-24-2019, 03:01 AM
Plus going G5 means we don't break the bank on the HC first contract. This allows us to go after quality position coaches and coordinators.

BrunswickDawg
10-24-2019, 07:05 AM
Grantham is Dan's Joe Lee Dunn. When he inevitably leaves I'm expecting some regression at Florida.

The model we need to change is just going after coordinators. We need to start expanding our searches to include sitting head coaches at G5 schools. Which is likely a lot less risky than a coordinator with very little or no head coaching experience who has to learn on the job. You can't tell me that Billy Napier wouldn't take our job right now for 2.5 million. And probably most G5 coaches. I'm not even sure why up and coming coordinators is the "MSU model" when our best coach in school history was a retread.

I don't know that we need to shy away from going after coordinators. We might want to change how much experience they have as a coordinator and in what type of setting and under which coaches.
UGA has hired exactly 1 HC with previous HC experience in the past 70 years. But they hire coordinators like Mark Richt and Kirby Smart who spent years working for the best coaches in the game.
Dan Mullen was less of a gamble then Joe because he had spent years working for one of the best coaches in the game. James Franklin is a good coach, he hasn't proven to be one of the best in the game like Bowden, Saban, Mack Brown, or Urban Meyer - and that makes a difference.

I actually think that Cohen had the right idea in finding a coordinator with small school HC experience. I think where he went wrong was where that experience took place. I think SEC experience and experience in the south is critical if we are going to hire a coordinator. That coach doesn't have to be southern, he just has to understand the SEC and kids from the south.

BhamDawg205
10-24-2019, 07:30 AM
For top 10 schools, not considered stepping stones workout for both if the hire pans out. Meaning their not looking or being poached after 3-5 years. Programs like ours suffer from lost relationships and recruiting. I think the Moorhead hire was too drastic of an offensive philosophy. Or a coach who wouldn't or adjust to current roster. But the model I'm suggesting would act as a bridge. Essentially mimicking a coach ( philosophy and relationships) staying and an established foundation. But I know like any hire it has to be a successful one.

msbulldog
10-24-2019, 07:33 AM

Mullen ain't messing with Grantham, he's scared of him.

Really Clark?
10-24-2019, 07:35 AM

Naw, they actually get along really well.

BhamDawg205
10-24-2019, 08:42 AM

Think it's a mutual respect thing... Grantham was proven before he got here. Other guys Mullen gave them their shot, so they deferred to him for the most part.

MD2020
10-24-2019, 07:04 PM
Bill Clark

maroonmania
10-24-2019, 09:03 PM
The model we need to change is just going after coordinators. We need to start expanding our searches to include sitting head coaches at G5 schools.

Absolutely. Not sure if anyone else heard it but today on the SEC Network, Peter Burns and Chris Doering had an interview with Houston Nutt and Houston was laying out the case for how much harder it is for a coordinator to step into the HC role for the first time than it is for someone that has already been doing the Head Coach job even if it is at a smaller school. I really hope we go after a successful G5 HC next time. Wish we had given our job to Bill Clark after Mullen left. Listening to Matt Wyatt talk about how he totally turned around Prattville's HS program (Matt's alma mater) made me want him even more. Everywhere the dude has gone has turned into a winner.

Todd4State
10-25-2019, 01:28 AM
I don't know that we need to shy away from going after coordinators. We might want to change how much experience they have as a coordinator and in what type of setting and under which coaches.
UGA has hired exactly 1 HC with previous HC experience in the past 70 years. But they hire coordinators like Mark Richt and Kirby Smart who spent years working for the best coaches in the game.
Dan Mullen was less of a gamble then Joe because he had spent years working for one of the best coaches in the game. James Franklin is a good coach, he hasn't proven to be one of the best in the game like Bowden, Saban, Mack Brown, or Urban Meyer - and that makes a difference.

I actually think that Cohen had the right idea in finding a coordinator with small school HC experience. I think where he went wrong was where that experience took place. I think SEC experience and experience in the south is critical if we are going to hire a coordinator. That coach doesn't have to be southern, he just has to understand the SEC and kids from the south.

We don?t need to shy away from going after coordinators but we just need to be open to hire people from other backgrounds.

I think Cohen screwed up by not assessing Joe?s discipline.

Todd4State
10-25-2019, 01:30 AM
Absolutely. Not sure if anyone else heard it but today on the SEC Network, Peter Burns and Chris Doering had an interview with Houston Nutt and Houston was laying out the case for how much harder it is for a coordinator to step into the HC role for the first time than it is for someone that has already been doing the Head Coach job even if it is at a smaller school. I really hope we go after a successful G5 HC next time. Wish we had given our job to Bill Clark after Mullen left. Listening to Matt Wyatt talk about how he totally turned around Prattville's HS program (Matt's alma mater) made me want him even more. Everywhere the dude has gone has turned into a winner.

Those are all good points. And Nutt actually started out at Boise State before going to Arkansas. The SEC is just such a different beast than the other leagues. You have to be so much more disciplined and physical in the SEC.

BhamDawg205
10-25-2019, 02:26 AM

Bill Clark was my #1, back then. Living in Bham all you heard was his name. Saw him coach at Prattville, JSU and now UAB. The dude is a program changer and winner. His record speaks for itself every level. I would be mad with him or Napier or Fritz.

MD2020
10-25-2019, 05:24 AM
Bill Clark was my #1, back then. Living in Bham all you heard was his name. Saw him coach at Prattville, JSU and now UAB. The dude is a program changer and winner. His record speaks for itself every level. I would be mad with him or Napier or Fritz.

Clark was nominated for the Paul Bryant coach of the year yesterday.

BhamDawg205
10-25-2019, 09:59 AM
Way stars are aligning, we might be experimenting with SloMo one more season. I hope Clark is still available to fix this train wreck.

RougeDawg
10-25-2019, 02:34 PM
I think Fritz and Napier would be 1a and 1b. For me Napier and his OC( OL coach) Sale fits the model. Both have P5 SEC experience. Napier at Alabama and Sale at Georgia. ULL's offense fits the type of players in our recruiting footprint. And Sale's OL looks light years ahead of ours even with the talent discrepancy.

I have a feeling that the team coached by Fritz will win the Tulane game next season. Let?s hope JC realizes this.

BhamDawg205
10-25-2019, 02:54 PM
I have a feeling that the team coached by Fritz will win the Tulane game next season. Let?s hope JC realizes this.

Well might just be an interview/game.

trojandawg
10-25-2019, 03:13 PM
if we lose that game to Fritz next year, that should be a fire and hire right after the game is over with. i have a felling Fritz and Will Hall will get called up this season or at least Hall might get a bigger call to a bigger program this year.

BhamDawg205
10-25-2019, 04:17 PM
I think Clark/Vincent, Napier/Sale, and Fritz/Hall fit the model I'm suggesting. I love Clark's track record of program building. Napier and Sale SEC experience stands out. Now Fritz and Hall has huge upside. Lets say Fritz comes makes us a consistent 7-8 win team and gets poached after 4-5 years. Hall being from Amory may play in our favor retaining him as next HC. Which means continuity in our program. He might just be content being in MS.