PDA

View Full Version : If you were able to advise Moorhead and him listen, what are you telling him to win?

Tbonewannabe
10-23-2019, 12:21 PM
I know this is probably going to turn into a "just quit" type of thread but if you could give him advice that he would take, what are you telling him?

I would advise him on more quick passes. Slants or quick WR screen passes. I would want to run more 2 TE sets and actually have the RPO with a TE receiving option.

Get Hill the ball in space with a Wheel route or continue the jet sweep with him.

Call more direct runs instead of RPO so our Oline knows to road grade folks instead of being in the wait and see mode for downfield blocking.

Get Gibson the ball more. He has been as productive as Hill in SEC games so let him take some carries.

Run hurry up if we are running on teams. Don't give their Dline a breather if we are getting 5-10 yards per carry.

Todd4State
10-23-2019, 12:26 PM
The first piece of advice would be to grow a set and hold your players accountable for missing assignments and making silly penalties.

The second thing I would tell him is to add some two back sets, use more two TE sets, and use a formation or two under center.

Cooterpoot
10-23-2019, 12:50 PM
Hire a proven OC and scrap your sorry ass offense.

Really Clark?
10-23-2019, 01:02 PM
Hold players and coaches accountable, have stronger and consistent discipline, and use the K.I.S.S. Method for the offense. Find the plays that fit the personnel and they can execute with precision. Even if it is basically 5 run plays with 5-10 pass plays that can be run from those sets. Have that as the basis of the offense for the remainder of the season and add to that as they become proficient executing.

TrapGame
10-23-2019, 01:05 PM
Not to derail the thread but you have to assume Moorhead has to be getting advice from Shoop, Joey Jones, Briener and Johnson. I don't think he's listening. By now you'd think the offensive staff would be pushing him to do whatever wins even if it means changing up his offense significantly. Wasn't he cautioned already about our softness from Shoop? Remember Toughness Tuesdays? That was Shoop's idea for the defense b/c they weren't tough enough on them in practice. You know, the practices that Moorhead says "everyone" looks great in.

parabrave
10-23-2019, 01:25 PM
Introduce your linemen to a thing called a Blocking Sled. And your DBs to tacking drills.

SaveFerris
10-23-2019, 01:43 PM
I know this is probably going to turn into a "just quit" type of thread but if you could give him advice that he would take, what are you telling him?

I would advise him on more quick passes. Slants or quick WR screen passes. I would want to run more 2 TE sets and actually have the RPO with a TE receiving option.

Get Hill the ball in space with a Wheel route or continue the jet sweep with him.

Call more direct runs instead of RPO so our Oline knows to road grade folks instead of being in the wait and see mode for downfield blocking.

Get Gibson the ball more. He has been as productive as Hill in SEC games so let him take some carries.

Run hurry up if we are running on teams. Don't give their Dline a breather if we are getting 5-10 yards per carry.

Run the option or it's hybrid out of the gun
Initiate the option but have the QB plant the outside foot and drop back to throw (we ran this w/ Relf and Dak)
Run the Jet Sweep but don't give it to Hill. Have him flare out and become a check down receiver on the sideline (Auburn used to torch teams with this when they had Cam)
Get Malik Dear on the field - he made a brief appearance against Kentucky (caught 2 balls and a run) and Joe remarked how great it was to get him some action. He has been AWOL since, Why? Think he would be a great option on a Wheel Route with his hands.
Get our receivers in motion and throw a slip screen with them already moving up field as the ball is coming (Think '99 Alabama w/ Zow and Milons - remember when they faked the screen that they had been running all day and a WR slipped thru wide open for the dagger TD at their place in '99)
Set a triangle of backs around the QB (in the gun). Ran this w/ success in '14 particularly early in the season (Auburn) and then stopped. Allowed for more blocking backs for the ball carrier.
You can only do it once and I know its gimmicky, but w/ how predictable we are, I would love to see a flea flicker (if the line could hold long enough)

trojandawg
10-23-2019, 02:54 PM
go back to having hell week or weeks type of practice for training camps.

go back to having tough hard hitting practices when the ncaa allows you to.

starting enacting discipline and demanding respect from your players. They miss assignments the sit or run their asses off. We might not be the best team, but we will be in the best shape

Go out and find you a new special teams coach yesterday. Tell Joey Jones, sorry but it's not working.

Go out and find you the best S&C around.

scrap the rpo system for now.

run basic option sets.

use the misdirection, like more than once so it's not obvious. use the receiver in motion, use counters, give it to different people besides shrader or kylin. keep the defense guessing who is getting the ball.

pass blocking only for passes, run blocking only for running. make the blocking assignments easy. thus as before scrap rpo for now.

Get your lineman in between two dummies in practice and do nothing but power drive blocking for an hour each practice or just make them push the sled half of practice. toughen those boys up.

simplify the reads for the team. have only one read and don't make it an option to throw based on the read. hand off and pitches only.

simplify the route tree, focus on short to intermediate throws in the flats, curls, outs, slants, and screens

assign the play with 3 audibles possible at anytime that the qb calls at the line. no check with me to the sideline. the audibles being quick pass because of blitz, swap side of run. quick draw out of empty back set like dak used to do when the middle of the field was wide open.

Tempo. Tempo. Tempo. Qb line's everyone up play comes in. line up and run the play immediately when it comes in. if the defense is aligned so that that's not going to work in the qb's eyes, audible 1 2 or 3 that's it. Snap before clock is before 10 seconds. if the qb keeps making the wrong audible. take the audible away and just call the play and run it immediately. Don't audible every freaking play. Just call it and run it 95% of the game.

Spread the field horizontally to open up lanes for your running back and qb to run. Use wide formation sets then pass to the flats more often to make the defense spread out then counter that with hand offs once they are spread out. if they edge back in get it to the slot in the flat.

Stop running all the plays out of the same formation and with the same personnel. Change the formations often. give the defense a lot of different looks. Make the defense think!

Quit calling plays trying to get too many yards at once. nickel and dime yourself down the field for sustained drives. nothing wrong with checkdown charlie if it works. the homerun ball rarely works for us so don't try it so much.

Use multiple back sets (part of change the formation) use the option with misdirection to make the defense guess who is getting the ball. If they aren't disciplined, it's guaranteed yards.

Most importantly work to the skill sets of your players. Don't try to make them something they are not. If you're receivers aren't the best at catching the deep ball or separating on a deep ball QUIT THROWING THE 50/50 DEEP BALL. If your QB isn't
Dan Marino, don't put him the in the position to look like trash.

MaroonFlounder
10-23-2019, 04:10 PM
Admitting that he has NO formation in his offense where QB is under center. And will not install such a play for 3rd or 4th and 1 or less.

That is Croom-level stubbornness.

somebodyshotmypaw
10-24-2019, 06:37 AM
If you were able to advise Moorhead and him listen, what are you telling him to win.

Games.