PDA

View Full Version : Scheduling P5 games

Lord McBuckethead
10-22-2019, 05:22 PM
I wish we would establish a long time agreement with another school like NC State. Something like 4 home and homes. Maybe 2 in a neutral location. UNC too. Or Duke.

Anyway, would it be interesting to schedule an east opponent to a home and home. Like UF or USC. Teams we really do not play at home except every 9 years or something. Once a decade for a conference foe is too long to wait.

timotheus
10-22-2019, 05:34 PM
better be careful. Joe need an opponent that can yield a victory. need weak team if possible

Todd4State
10-22-2019, 06:09 PM
If Memphis joined the Big 12 it would be ideal for us.

I?d like to see us schedule Army.

TNDawg35
10-22-2019, 06:17 PM
What if we scheduled Rutgers??....

Todd4State
10-22-2019, 06:27 PM
What if we scheduled Rutgers??....

You know how those payback games usually go for us.

I bet we win that one though.

RocketDawg
10-22-2019, 07:10 PM
I wish we would establish a long time agreement with another school like NC State. Something like 4 home and homes. Maybe 2 in a neutral location. UNC too. Or Duke.

Anyway, would it be interesting to schedule an east opponent to a home and home. Like UF or USC. Teams we really do not play at home except every 9 years or something. Once a decade for a conference foe is too long to wait.

That's an interesting idea that I never thought of. Is the P5 game allowed to be another SEC team or does it have to be out of conference?

Bass Chaser
10-22-2019, 07:52 PM
better be careful. Joe need an opponent that can yield a victory. need weak team if possible

I'm not a JoMo apologist but this is exactly what it took for us to go to 9 straight bowls. We haven't faired well against OOC P5 teams in the regular season.

It appears we were 1-3 in regular season against P5 OOC teams during Mullen's tenure.

TheLostDawg
10-22-2019, 08:18 PM

Yes and we could even do it like baseball where it's technically not an SEC game if need be

Goldendawg
10-22-2019, 08:19 PM
Can we schedule more P1 - P4 games? Don't think many P5 games would be very interesting against us for their fans right now.***** kinda

WeWonItAll(Most)
10-22-2019, 08:22 PM
That's an interesting idea that I never thought of. Is the P5 game allowed to be another SEC team or does it have to be out of conference?

Not sure if the SEC has rules against it, but Wake Forest and North Carolina played each other earlier this year as a non-conference game.

Goldendawg
10-22-2019, 08:30 PM
In the old days, we often played people like Texas Tech and it counted an SEC game. UM seldom ever played bama or AU, which was one of the ways Vaught inflated their overall W-L record.

Liverpooldawg
10-22-2019, 08:44 PM
In the old days, we often played people like Texas Tech and it counted an SEC game. UM seldom ever played bama or AU, which was one of the ways Vaught inflated their overall W-L record.

The Rebs used to play Chattanooga and have it count as an SEC game.

Apoplectic
10-22-2019, 08:44 PM
sabans wont allow it - he wants to continue playing the btm of the acc in atl every year. this will limit his options

TUSK
10-22-2019, 08:55 PM
sabans wont allow it - he wants to continue playing the btm of the acc in atl every year. this will limit his options

I’d like to see some (07-present) data to support this post.

Lord McBuckethead
10-22-2019, 09:52 PM
Yeah, no crap. I believe every matchup Bama has had was a big matchup at the time of scheduling. Hell I wish we would schedule Notre dame for a home and home. I like going for a middle of the road team like Northwestern or KSU, but it doesn't blow my skirt up. Now schedule ND or an extra SEC team as a nomconference game, and that would bring the crowds out. Also, I am a firm veliever in big matchups on campus for 75% of the time, u less the destination is cool like Jerry World or the Rose Bowl.

TheLostDawg
10-22-2019, 10:10 PM
Yes. It brings crowds which bring money which helps get players (facilities/better coaches, not the ole Miss way). I would be okay going to a lower bowl every now and then for that. Then the years we are good/win those games, the wins help advance our standings. Those are the long term decisions I am okay with. Plus I'd rather go to the liberty bowl and whip butt then get embarrassed by Iowa in the outback. Playing an extra big games just makes sense from my POV. I'm sure there are a lot of valid objections to some of my points though.

TheLostDawg
10-22-2019, 10:14 PM
I can't believe I'm admitting to this but another good idea is what Strickland said. He mentioned playing games at destination sites. That could be Miami for example. Somewhere our fans would like to travel to. I'm sure that a lot of fans would love going to see both those games, home and away.

Maroonthirteen
10-22-2019, 10:14 PM
The POD system and schedule for sec football is genius. It should be done next year.

Less Bama. More SEC east. I like it.

Choctaw Dawg
10-23-2019, 09:52 AM
Here's our future schedule:

NC State 20-21
Arizona 22-23
Arizona State 24-25
Minnesota 26-27
Texas Tech 28-29

Seems as if our scheduling is based on scheduling teams that our historically similar in football success. Middle of the conference mediocre football teams that we have a chance for a good game against and not getting blown out.

Tbonewannabe
10-23-2019, 10:47 AM
Here's our future schedule:

NC State 20-21
Arizona 22-23
Arizona State 24-25
Minnesota 26-27
Texas Tech 28-29

Seems as if our scheduling is based on scheduling teams that our historically similar in football success. Middle of the conference mediocre football teams that we have a chance for a good game against and not getting blown out.

I actually like this scheduling. While we could upset someone like ND or Michigan, the more likely scenario is that it cost us a win that goes towards bowl eligibility. We need to keep this game as close to winnable as possible until we are hitting 10 wins on the regular.

sleepy dawg
10-23-2019, 11:18 AM
Until we start competing for national championships, we need the weakest p5 school possible every year. Our schedule is hard enough playing in the west.